Mast,Standridge (was Re: THREATS!!!)

Mast,Standridge (was Re: THREATS!!!)

Post by P. Campbe » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

>Tony,
>I guess it's the way you want to look at the wreck.  But, if you want to
>lay blame on someone I put the blame on Mast.  Yes, Standridge did not
>move over he held is line Mast came down on Standridge before he was clear.
>I think Mast was a little impatient because Standridge did not move over.
>Bill Schroeder

Yes, Bill, Mast may have been a little impatient.  But it is common
courtesy that, if you are laps down, and faster cars are approaching you,
to move over and give them room to go by.  Standridge was a rolling road
block all day long.  Anyway, I don't think Mast really intends to put
Standridge in the wall this weekend.  He more than likely said what he did
to get his point across.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Campbell                                                    Go #6, #94  
Huntsville, AL                                          

War Eagle!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Mast,Standridge (was Re: THREATS!!!)

Post by Mark A. Brela » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

>Tony,
>I guess it's the way you want to look at the wreck.  But, if you want to
>lay blame on someone I put the blame on Mast.  Yes, Standridge did not
>move over he held is line Mast came down on Standridge before he was clear.
>I think Mast was a little impatient because Standridge did not move over.

I have to agree with Bill...the 47 was already getting all kinds of flak
for not maintaining a line, and now here he's getting flak for not moving
over (down out of the groove into the oil where he was *sure* to wreck).
The day before, L.W. Miller showed what happens if you adjust your line to
meet the needs of an overtaking car...he got blackflagged for doing just
that.  Cardinal rule in racing:  overtaken car maintains their line, passing
car is responsible for completing the pass safely.  That's just the way
it is...

--
Mark A. Breland -- Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation (MCC)
Research Division
3500 West Balcones Center Drive                   | voice:    (512) 338-3509
Austin, Texas 78759-6509   USA              NB#51 | FAX:      (512) 338-3900

 
 
 

Mast,Standridge (was Re: THREATS!!!)

Post by Tony Joh » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00


Quote:
>Tony,
>I guess it's the way you want to look at the wreck.  But, if you want to
>lay blame on someone I put the blame on Mast.  Yes, Standridge did not
>move over he held is line Mast came down on Standridge before he was clear.
>I think Mast was a little impatient because Standridge did not move over.

I'd be inclined to believe that (a lot of people were impatient at the
backmarkers, especially Standridge) if the incident had not occurred at the
part of the track that it did.  As I remember, it happened at the exit of turn
two.  Mast, having the high line, would not have drifted towards the center of
the straight the way he did unless he were out of the gas -- the momentum of
the turn would have pushed him out towards the wall.  The only way to turn
left that way at passing speed would be to overcorrect, and that would have
meant that Mast would have been breaking loose BEFORE Standridge tapped him.

Standridge, however, had the lower line which results in an exit out near the
wall.  Since the low line is more of a linear line, it follows that Standridge
would drift up unless he lifted.  I saw Standridge and a lot of backmarkers
drift into the high groove all over the track, probably because they
mistrusted the rest of the track, but Standridge should have lifted a bit and
let Mast go by.  After all, they weren't racing for position.
---

Mark Martin in '95!

 
 
 

Mast,Standridge (was Re: THREATS!!!)

Post by Tony Joh » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00


Quote:
>Cardinal rule in racing:  overtaken car maintains their line, passing
>car is responsible for completing the pass safely.  That's just the way
>it is...

I really don't know where Mast could have gone except into the outside wall.  
He had plenty of room to make the pass, and it seemed to me that he stayed in
his line and Standridge came up on him.  

I think the cardinal rule is more stringent for passes for position.  I
would think that the passer gets a bit more right of way if he's laps up on
the guy he's passing...
---

Mark Martin in '95!

 
 
 

Mast,Standridge (was Re: THREATS!!!)

Post by Mark A. Brela » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00

Quote:


>>Cardinal rule in racing:  overtaken car maintains their line, passing
>>car is responsible for completing the pass safely.  That's just the way
>>it is...

>I really don't know where Mast could have gone except into the outside wall.  
>He had plenty of room to make the pass, and it seemed to me that he stayed in
>his line and Standridge came up on him.  

>I think the cardinal rule is more stringent for passes for position.  I
>would think that the passer gets a bit more right of way if he's laps up on
>the guy he's passing...

Speaking from painful (and expensive) experience...I beg to differ.  It's
kinda like being a little bit pregnant.  You either follow the established
practice, or you pay the price.  Doesn't make any difference who or where
you are...if you're passing, it's your responsibility to pull it off
safely, period.  If you're being passed, it's your responsibility to
maintain your *consistent* line (so the passer can make a good judgement
on how to get by).  In driver school, those lessons are constantly pounded
in. There is no such thing as a "bit more right of way".  I've been in
incidents from both perspectives, so the rationale is quite clear to me...

But there are occasions when, if conditions *safely* permit, it is a wise
idea to get out of the way of a quickly overtaking car.  Standard protocol
then is to point in the direction the passing car(s) should go to overtake
you, and then move slightly out of the way.  But that is solely at the
discretion of the overtaken driver, and is not an explicit mandate.  Also,
the blue flag with yellow stripe is not given as an order to move over
and let a passing car go by...it's a warning that you are being overtaken
and you may want to consider your options.  However, some flagmen will
blackflag you if they see you blatantly ignoring that advice and causing
a potential hazard.

I tend to believe that RM could have judged his timing better to make the
pass down the backstretch rather than in T2.  He should have known that
BS would have had no room to go coming out of T2, if RM was pinching him
down by passing on the outside.  BS made more than a few other mistakes
during the day, but in that particular incident he was only doing what
NASCAR officials had told his CC to tell him already.

--
Mark A. Breland -- Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation (MCC)
Research Division
3500 West Balcones Center Drive                   | voice:    (512) 338-3509
Austin, Texas 78759-6509   USA              NB#51 | FAX:      (512) 338-3900

 
 
 

Mast,Standridge (was Re: THREATS!!!)

Post by William Schroed » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00


Quote:


>Oh, PLEASE... I've heard of being an apologist, but this is ridiculous.  The
>wreck was quite clearly Standridge's fault.  Mast (that's MAST, not Mass) had
>the high groove.  Standridge came up the track AFTER Mast had passed him and
>pushed (not tapped, not took air off spoiler) Mast in the left rear
>quarterpanel.  And BTW -- how can you say Mast was being reckless if you
>weren't driving in the car with him?  Mast got, maybe, 10 minutes of air time,
>mostly after the crash.

>Cheering an underdog is one thing.  Warping reality for him is another.

>---

>Mark Martin in '95!

Tony,
I guess it's the way you want to look at the wreck.  But, if you want to
lay blame on someone I put the blame on Mast.  Yes, Standridge did not
move over he held is line Mast came down on Standridge before he was clear.
I think Mast was a little impatient because Standridge did not move over.

Bill Schroeder

***************************************************************************
          .------.         | William F. Schroeder Jr |

   /'        22  MBNA  :   |                         |
  :--( )------..-( )---    |                         |  --Randy LaJoie--
***************************************************************************

 
 
 

Mast,Standridge (was Re: THREATS!!!)

Post by Dave Vollm » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00


Quote:


>>    At the end of the Darlington race, Rick Mass came up to Billy
>>Standridge (#47) and accused him of purposely wrecking him into the
>>wall.  Mr. Mass then told Billy "You better bring two cars to Bristol...
>>cause I'm gonna run you off the track!".  WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO BEING
>>A GOOD SPORT??!!!  First, Billy was just trying his damnedest to keep
>>from crashing into everyone else that wrecked.  He wasn't trying to speed
>>through the mess and get to the front, he just wanted to finish in one
>>piece.  Many of the other drivers were driving like madmen out there.  
>>Second, if Mr. Mass hadn't been so damn reckless out there, he wouldn't
>>have crashed in the first place.  Besides, the fresh pavement was slick
>>as ice according to all the other drivers.  Mr. Mass, if you can't take
>>the heat, get out of the kitchen!!!  Go get 'em, BILLY!!!  

>Oh, PLEASE... I've heard of being an apologist, but this is ridiculous.  The
>wreck was quite clearly Standridge's fault.  Mast (that's MAST, not Mass) had
>the high groove.  Standridge came up the track AFTER Mast had passed him and
>pushed (not tapped, not took air off spoiler) Mast in the left rear
>quarterpanel.  And BTW -- how can you say Mast was being reckless if you
>weren't driving in the car with him?  Mast got, maybe, 10 minutes of air time,
>mostly after the crash.

Rick was definately taken out by Standridge, and if you've ever
seen Mast, for him to say that kind of stuff, he must of
really been POed (and who can blame him). All I know is my
heart went into my throat when I saw the track worker at Mast's
car give the Ambulance signal and his crew jump over the wall.

It's pretty hard to defend a driver who caused a wreck, had 3
ambulances dispatched, and injured a driver (B. Labonte).

--
                                | Dave Vollman (HASA "S" Division)
  Cognito, ergo stipendium      | AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville, IL

                                | AT&T would never let ME speak for THEM!

 
 
 

Mast,Standridge (was Re: THREATS!!!)

Post by Tony Joh » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 03:13:00


Quote:
>    At the end of the Darlington race, Rick Mass came up to Billy
>Standridge (#47) and accused him of purposely wrecking him into the
>wall.  Mr. Mass then told Billy "You better bring two cars to Bristol...
>cause I'm gonna run you off the track!".  WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO BEING
>A GOOD SPORT??!!!  First, Billy was just trying his damnedest to keep
>from crashing into everyone else that wrecked.  He wasn't trying to speed
>through the mess and get to the front, he just wanted to finish in one
>piece.  Many of the other drivers were driving like madmen out there.  
>Second, if Mr. Mass hadn't been so damn reckless out there, he wouldn't
>have crashed in the first place.  Besides, the fresh pavement was slick
>as ice according to all the other drivers.  Mr. Mass, if you can't take
>the heat, get out of the kitchen!!!  Go get 'em, BILLY!!!  

Oh, PLEASE... I've heard of being an apologist, but this is ridiculous.  The
wreck was quite clearly Standridge's fault.  Mast (that's MAST, not Mass) had
the high groove.  Standridge came up the track AFTER Mast had passed him and
pushed (not tapped, not took air off spoiler) Mast in the left rear
quarterpanel.  And BTW -- how can you say Mast was being reckless if you
weren't driving in the car with him?  Mast got, maybe, 10 minutes of air time,
mostly after the crash.

Cheering an underdog is one thing.  Warping reality for him is another.

---

Mark Martin in '95!

 
 
 

Mast,Standridge (was Re: THREATS!!!)

Post by Greg A. Guar » Fri, 31 Mar 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

>Subject: THREATS!!!
>Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 18:41:52 -0500
>    At the end of the Darlington race, Rick Mass came up to Billy
>Standridge (#47) and accused him of purposely wrecking him into the
>wall.  Mr. Mass then told Billy "You better bring two cars to Bristol...
>cause I'm gonna run you off the track!".  WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO BEING
>A GOOD SPORT??!!!  First, Billy was just trying his damnedest to keep
>from crashing into everyone else that wrecked.  He wasn't trying to speed
>through the mess and get to the front, he just wanted to finish in one
>piece.  Many of the other drivers were driving like madmen out there.  
>Second, if Mr. Mass hadn't been so damn reckless out there, he wouldn't
>have crashed in the first place.  Besides, the fresh pavement was slick
>as ice according to all the other drivers.  Mr. Mass, if you can't take
>the heat, get out of the kitchen!!!  Go get 'em, BILLY!!!  
>                -A concerned Billy Standridge fan...

Pssstt  --  Unless there is a new WC driver I don't know about I think you
                 Rick Mast that drives the 1 car.

Greg A. Guarry                  
NASA Langley Research Center            voice:  (804) 864-6443
Simulation Systems Branch               fax:    (804) 864-8837

Hampton, VA 23681-0001

 
 
 

Mast,Standridge (was Re: THREATS!!!)

Post by Kenny J St. Loui » Sat, 01 Apr 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

> >Tony,
> >I guess it's the way you want to look at the wreck.  But, if you want to
> >lay blame on someone I put the blame on Mast.  Yes, Standridge did not
> >move over he held is line Mast came down on Standridge before he was clear.
> >I think Mast was a little impatient because Standridge did not move over.

> >Bill Schroeder

> Yes, Bill, Mast may have been a little impatient.  But it is common
> courtesy that, if you are laps down, and faster cars are approaching you,
> to move over and give them room to go by.  Standridge was a rolling road
> block all day long.  Anyway, I don't think Mast really intends to put
> Standridge in the wall this weekend.  He more than likely said what he did
> to get his point across.

Um....unless my eyes were lying to me, Standridge was Top-20 most of the
day...in fact, with only 10 laps to go he was in 13th or 14th position,
so he was hardly a rolling roadblock. In regards to the wreck, it looked
to me like Billy was loose coming off the corner, and as Mast moved down
after passing him, the #47 drifted up into him.  I don't believe that
Standridge did wreck Mast on purpose. Inexperienced, maybe, but he's
still learning the WC ropes, Rick. Give him some time to get used to
racing WC, with a heavier car and a bit more speed, and he'll be okay.

Kenny St. Louis

 
 
 

Mast,Standridge (was Re: THREATS!!!)

Post by John McC » Sat, 01 Apr 1995 04:00:00


|>
|> >Tony,
|> >I guess it's the way you want to look at the wreck.  But, if you want to
|> >lay blame on someone I put the blame on Mast.  Yes, Standridge did not
|> >move over he held is line Mast came down on Standridge before he was clear.
|> >I think Mast was a little impatient because Standridge did not move over.
|>
|> I'd be inclined to believe that (a lot of people were impatient at the
|> backmarkers, especially Standridge) if the incident had not occurred at the
|> part of the track that it did.  As I remember, it happened at the exit of turn
|> two.  Mast, having the high line, would not have drifted towards the center of
|> the straight the way he did unless he were out of the gas -- the momentum of
|> the turn would have pushed him out towards the wall.  The only way to turn
|> left that way at passing speed would be to overcorrect, and that would have
|> meant that Mast would have been breaking loose BEFORE Standridge tapped him.
|>
|> Standridge, however, had the lower line which results in an exit out near the
|> wall.  Since the low line is more of a linear line, it follows that Standridge
|> would drift up unless he lifted.  I saw Standridge and a lot of backmarkers
|> drift into the high groove all over the track, probably because they
|> mistrusted the rest of the track, but Standridge should have lifted a bit and
|> let Mast go by.  After all, they weren't racing for position.
|> ---

|> Mark Martin in '95!
|>
|>

Tony,

     You might want to ask Craig Witowski (sorry if that's spelt wrong
Craig) or someone else in the group whose driven on a banked track what
happens if you lift suddenly in a turn.

John

(Just say you're not necessarily going to be going downhill...)
********************************************************************************


Motorola Inc Radio Products Group
8000 W Sunrise Blvd Plantation FL 33322

 
 
 

Mast,Standridge (was Re: THREATS!!!)

Post by Daniel Bany » Tue, 04 Apr 1995 04:00:00


|>

|> >
|> >Tony,
|> >I guess it's the way you want to look at the wreck.  But, if you want to
|> >lay blame on someone I put the blame on Mast.  Yes, Standridge did not
|> >move over he held is line Mast came down on Standridge before he was clear.
|> >I think Mast was a little impatient because Standridge did not move over.
|>
|> I have to agree with Bill...the 47 was already getting all kinds of flak
|> for not maintaining a line, and now here he's getting flak for not moving
|> over (down out of the groove into the oil where he was *sure* to wreck).
|> The day before, L.W. Miller showed what happens if you adjust your line to
|> meet the needs of an overtaking car...he got blackflagged for doing just
|> that.  Cardinal rule in racing:  overtaken car maintains their line, passing
|> car is responsible for completing the pass safely.  That's just the way
|> it is...

Thanks, Mario.

;)

--

Rusty!