"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by Jwh.. » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00



Subject: Re: "Jeffy Weffy?", Cummon!


Quote:

> Callin' me out eh?  : ))

How'd you guess?...

Quote:
> Jeff's job description says two things:

>                          Goal:  Lead every lap and win every race.
>                          Duties:  Drive

> I guess I just still don't get your point Houk.

The point is: Those two parts of his job description are all he is! You
know, that old Peggy Lee song - "Is that all there is?" There's not a
whole lot else there. Maybe I'm from the NASCAR old school where a guy
like Gordon who flat-out drives has the fire of a Pearson, or the
personality of a Petty, or the country charm of a Cale, or the
out-and-out, win-at-all-cost demeanor of Dale. What, other than the "He
can flat out drive", describes JeffyWeffy(tm) best? NOTHING!

Okay, we can all crawl back into our holes now.

   ___"The Houkster"    Joe Houk_  

 /    |              /\       /  /   /      |/  BRAVES
 |    |      _   |   |/         /___/___    |/\ BACK-TO-BACK
 \    / /\/\/_\ /|/\/|/\       /\  //\ / / /|\/ IN 1996!      
  \__/_/\/ /\__/ |\/ |  \_/   /  \/ \/ \/|/ |\__/                  
 /  /  AK #7    /| BE #94 - PM #14 - TF #40 - DT #90 - DM #71
/  /  Homepage: \| <http://www.execpc.com/~jwhouk/index.html>      
\_/   "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody        
--


|
| This message has passed thru The GIFfer Skylink

 
 
 

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by John Irelan » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:


>Subject: Re: "Jeffy Weffy?", Cummon!



>> Callin' me out eh?  : ))

>How'd you guess?...

>> Jeff's job description says two things:

>>                          Goal:  Lead every lap and win every race.
>>                          Duties:  Drive

>> I guess I just still don't get your point Houk.

>The point is: Those two parts of his job description are all he is! You
>know, that old Peggy Lee song - "Is that all there is?" There's not a
>whole lot else there. Maybe I'm from the NASCAR old school where a guy
>like Gordon who flat-out drives has the fire of a Pearson, or the
>personality of a Petty, or the country charm of a Cale, or the
>out-and-out, win-at-all-cost demeanor of Dale. What, other than the "He
>can flat out drive", describes JeffyWeffy(tm) best? NOTHING!

How about youthful exuberance, handsome devil and phenomenon?  Or
perhaps polite, humble, smoldering.  He is all those and more.  
The real problem is he ain't back-woods like the examples you
compare him with.  Isn't that it?  Sure it is.  

Jeff haters apparently don't know how silly they look trying
to come up with the reasons.  And where does this ***come from
that he doesn't understand the mechanics of the car and cannot
contribute to the setup.  How can you believe such nonsense
knowing his winning record over the years.  He obviously knows
how to compensate for a poorly setup car and get the most out of
it.  And he knows how to relate the information to the pit for
corrections pretty effectively too.  At least that is what the
record would indicate.  How can anyone consistently win poles,
races and season championships without that kind of talent?  
Critics way underestimate his knowledge and contribution.  

This kid and his team are not just luckily winning races, they
are raising competition in NASCAR to the next level just like our
heros of the past did.

NOW we can all crawl back in our holes, Houk.

John the welder

 
 
 

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by Mark A. Brela » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi John!  :)

[snip]

Quote:
>And where does this ***come from
>that he doesn't understand the mechanics of the car and cannot
>contribute to the setup.

Uh, from JG himself?  He's publicly acknowledged in interviews that
he's not the most precocious of mechanics...

Quote:
>How can you believe such nonsense
>knowing his winning record over the years.  He obviously knows
>how to compensate for a poorly setup car and get the most out of
>it.  

This part is true...

Quote:
>And he knows how to relate the information to the pit for
>corrections pretty effectively too.

This part I disagree with on a semantic level.  ;)  JG communicates
what his car is *doing* (e.g., push in, loose middle, loose out...),
but he doesn't communicate how to correct it at all (e.g., pound
of air pressure in RF, add a *** in LR spring, take out a
round of wedge...).  At least, he says nothing of the sort in
any races I've been to and scanned at.  Ray Evernham is the guy who
figures out the correction to make based on the description of
what's happening given by JG.  Subtle difference, but a big
difference in mechanical/chassis setup knowledge all the same.
Listen to RW or DE, and you'll hear them explicitly ask for certain
mechanical changes to fix the chassis setup.  Such direction never
comes from JG, because he doesn't know how to give it (yet?).

Quote:
>At least that is what the
>record would indicate.  How can anyone consistently win poles,
>races and season championships without that kind of talent?  
>Critics way underestimate his knowledge and contribution.  

Not everybody is being a critic to point out where JG does not
have the same knowledge and abilities of others.  Given the degree
of upset that JG gets when his car is not handling, I do believe
that if he knew what exact changes to make, he would be demanding
those explicit changes while on the track.  Instead, he only
communicates car behavior.  This leads me to believe he does not
know enough about chassis setup and mechanics to comment on
what effective changes to make.  Note this says nothing at all
about his driving ability...

--
Mark A. Breland                             "Unless you want to finish last,
Racing, ranching, whatever...                you got to kick a little!..."
Austin, Texas                                                 (Little Texas)
Voice/FAX: 512-389-3951       http://SportToday.org/                   NB#51

 
 
 

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by TBPoo » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00


Quote:
>Not everybody is being a critic to point out where JG does not
>have the same knowledge and abilities of others.  Given the degree
>of upset that JG gets when his car is not handling, I do believe
>that if he knew what exact changes to make, he would be demanding
>those explicit changes while on the track.  Instead, he only
>communicates car behavior.  This leads me to believe he does not
>know enough about chassis setup and mechanics to comment on
>what effective changes to make.  Note this says nothing at all
>about his driving ability...

>--
>Mark A. Breland                             "Unless you want to finish last,
>Racing, ranching, whatever...                you got to kick a little!..."
>Austin, Texas                                                 (Little Texas)
>Voice/FAX: 512-389-3951       http://www.breland.com                   NB#51

Mark

I agree with everything you said but will add that Jeff may be smart in
the following regard:

1. He knows his limitations as far as setup goes and doesn't try to pretend
he knows what needs to be done to fix it.

2. He at least CAN tell the crew what the car's doing.  Some drivers can't
relate what the car's driving like; just 'it don't drive right'

Tom
Go #43

Did Hamilton have a Busch sticker at Daytona??

 
 
 

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by Ellen Sisk » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> Not everybody is being a critic to point out where JG does not
> have the same knowledge and abilities of others.  Given the degree
> of upset that JG gets when his car is not handling, I do believe
> that if he knew what exact changes to make, he would be demanding
> those explicit changes while on the track.  Instead, he only
> communicates car behavior.  This leads me to believe he does not
> know enough about chassis setup and mechanics to comment on
> what effective changes to make.  Note this says nothing at all
> about his driving ability...

Nor about his intelligence.  Evernham is *paid* to be the Crew Chief, and
that's where his expertise is supposed to lie.  Gordon is *paid* to be
the driver, and that's where *his* expertise should lie.  It's a match
made in heaven - Jeff can communicate what's wrong with the handling, and
Ray knows what to do about it.  Maybe those drivers you mentioned who are
ordering the changes should keep that in mind - concentrate on driving
and find a crew chief who knows more about setup, etc., than the driver
does, even if the driver knows a lot . . .

Ellen
24,5,25,6,41

 
 
 

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by Gil Meach » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:


>>Not everybody is being a critic to point out where JG does not
>>have the same knowledge and abilities of others.  Given the degree
>>of upset that JG gets when his car is not handling, I do believe
>>that if he knew what exact changes to make, he would be demanding
>>those explicit changes while on the track.  Instead, he only
>>communicates car behavior.  This leads me to believe he does not
>>know enough about chassis setup and mechanics to comment on
>>what effective changes to make.  Note this says nothing at all
>>about his driving ability...
>Mark
>I agree with everything you said but will add that Jeff may be smart in
>the following regard:
>1. He knows his limitations as far as setup goes and doesn't try to pretend
>he knows what needs to be done to fix it.
>2. He at least CAN tell the crew what the car's doing.  Some drivers can't
>relate what the car's driving like; just 'it don't drive right'

Also, JG and RE seem to be very successful as a team in getting a good
setup for qualification and the race.  This seems to be a definate
advantage, when you see the average starting position of DE and RW for
the last two years.  There does seem to be a good mix of communication
and response.  Although, I must admit on the scanner bites it sounds
like JG is blowing a gasket and RE is trying to talk him down most of
the time.
 
 
 

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by Mark A. Brela » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Nor about his intelligence.  Evernham is *paid* to be the Crew Chief, and
>that's where his expertise is supposed to lie.  Gordon is *paid* to be
>the driver, and that's where *his* expertise should lie.  It's a match
>made in heaven - Jeff can communicate what's wrong with the handling, and
>Ray knows what to do about it.  Maybe those drivers you mentioned who are
>ordering the changes should keep that in mind - concentrate on driving
>and find a crew chief who knows more about setup, etc., than the driver
>does, even if the driver knows a lot . . .

Good Lord why???  How much more efficient can one be than to drive it *and*
know what to do to make it faster?  Can you see DE coming into the pits
saying "It's loose, fix it."?  Moreover, do you really believe DE needs
to concentrate *more* on his driving than he already has?  These guys have
been around for *years*...they aren't some crew of newbies who need to
improve their driving style or technique.  The best way they can improve
their overall performance is to tweak the***ens out of the car, and the
more deeply engrained they are in that process, the faster they're going
to crank out that performance.  In NO WAY is it a liability for a *driver*
to intimately know and understand chassis requirements and be able to
direct setup changes to improve handling.

--
Mark A. Breland                             "Unless you want to finish last,
Racing, ranching, whatever...                you got to kick a little!..."
Austin, Texas                                                 (Little Texas)
Voice/FAX: 512-389-3951       http://SportToday.org/                   NB#51

 
 
 

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by Daniel P Huds » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00


Quote:

>>Nor about his intelligence.  Evernham is *paid* to be the Crew Chief, and
>>that's where his expertise is supposed to lie.  Gordon is *paid* to be
>>the driver, and that's where *his* expertise should lie.  It's a match
>Good Lord why???  How much more efficient can one be than to drive it *and*
>know what to do to make it faster?  Can you see DE coming into the pits

 Whoa, Mark, DE comes it and demands changes, but he doesn't always
 go out faster. In fact he ends up with the car the same or worse way
 more often than Jeff does. There's a tip in that itself.

Quote:
>saying "It's loose, fix it."?  Moreover, do you really believe DE needs
>to concentrate *more* on his driving than he already has?  These guys have
>been around for *years*...they aren't some crew of newbies who need to
>improve their driving style or technique.  The best way they can improve
>their overall performance is to tweak the***ens out of the car, and the
>more deeply engrained they are in that process, the faster they're going
>to crank out that performance.  In NO WAY is it a liability for a *driver*
>to intimately know and understand chassis requirements and be able to
>direct setup changes to improve handling.

 He never said it was Mark, he said maybe some drivers should concentrate
 on driving more than Chassis set-up by hiring a better crew-chief, that
 doesn't imply that the driver can't hear what the crew chief plans, but
 show me a driver that is going to tell Ray Everham, his adjustments won't
 work, and I'll show you a driver that deserves the Don-Lavey ride. As
 far as DE needing to concentrate on driving more, hmm, let's see.

 Gordon    - 5 Wins
 Wallace   - 3 Wins
 Earnhardt - 2 Wins
 Marlin    - 2 Wins
 Jarrett   - 2 Wins
 Labonte   - 1 Win

 Out of 15 races. Hmm, I don't know, I think DE might better concentrate more
 on driving if he wants to get #8 this year. Add to that the number of
 bonus points Jeff has gotton fro leading and the races DE hasn't led or
 led the most laps in, and there is no arguing it, DE isn't running his
 best.

 Think about it, Dale *doesn't* have the final word on what get's done to the
 car, he discusses it with the crew chief, well maybe not until this one
 gets more experience, but believe he a Petree talked about what to do.
 Likewise Wallace discusses what to do, now imagine you own the team
 with your favorite driver and Everham as crew chief. Driver radio's
 in and says it is loose, adjust tire pressure, and Everham radio's back,
 negative, that will cause too much extra tire wear, we'll do a chassis
 adjustment, then he and the driver bicker over what to do and it
 finally comes down to your decision, after all you own the team, who's
 word do you take? Myself, I'd say, Ray you're the crew chief, do what needs
 to be done, and driverX, just hammer it and turn. And let's stop trying
 to fool everyone, Dale Earnhardt drove a Ford when he started and knew
 as much about what to adjust on the chassis as a new born, it's takes years
 of being in WC for him to be to the level he is today with chassis knowledge,
 and he still doesn't know a chassis as well as a good crew chief. Dale
 doesn't have all the info a crew chief does when making decisions. Dale
 turned a wrech, but he didn't have a clue as to what loose was until he
 started driving, nor did he have a clue of just how big an adjustment
 air-pressure, wedge, ect. really was. Add to that the changes that have
 happened over the years, new adjustments being added, new discoveries, ect.,
 and a crew chief is your best bet because thats part of his job, it is
 not part of a drivers job, it is a bonus.

 
 
 

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by Joseph Ho » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Mr. Ireland, Scoob and other Gordon defenders:

I wonder, if r.a.s.n was around back in those days, if there would have
been a similar conversation about Freddie Lorenzen, someone to whom
JeffyWeffy(tm) has been compared to in recent articles and commentary.

Fast Freddie was withdrawn, shy, and drove like hell.

Hmm, now that I think about it, isn't that the personality traits of some
kid we all know from Dawsonville, Georgia?

I might have to think about this again...

Nah. Still don't like him.

   ___"The Houkster"    Joe Houk_  

 /    |              /\       /  /   /      |/  BRAVES
 |    |      _   |   |/         /___/___    |/\ BACK-TO-BACK
 \    / /\/\/_\ /|/\/|/\       /\  //\ / / /|\/ IN 1996!      
  \__/_/\/ /\__/ |\/ |  \_/   /  \/ \/ \/|/ |\__/                  
 /  /  AK #7    /| DT #90/#64 - BE #94 - PM #14 - TF #40 - DM #71
/  /  Homepage: \| <http://www.execpc.com/~jwhouk/index.html>      
\_/   "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody        

 
 
 

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by Joseph Ho » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00


WEEK award with this response to Ellen Siska:

Quote:
> Good Lord why???  How much more efficient can one be than to drive it *and*
> know what to do to make it faster?  Can you see DE coming into the pits
> saying "It's loose, fix it."?  Moreover, do you really believe DE needs
> to concentrate *more* on his driving than he already has?  These guys have
> been around for *years*...they aren't some crew of newbies who need to
> improve their driving style or technique.  The best way they can improve
> their overall performance is to tweak the***ens out of the car, and the
> more deeply engrained they are in that process, the faster they're going
> to crank out that performance.  In NO WAY is it a liability for a *driver*
> to intimately know and understand chassis requirements and be able to
> direct setup changes to improve handling.

Amen, brother. That's why I actually respect DE (I don't LIKE him, I just
respect him) for not only driving, but knowing what needs fixing.

   ___"The Houkster"    Joe Houk_  

 /    |              /\       /  /   /      |/  BRAVES
 |    |      _   |   |/         /___/___    |/\ BACK-TO-BACK
 \    / /\/\/_\ /|/\/|/\       /\  //\ / / /|\/ IN 1996!      
  \__/_/\/ /\__/ |\/ |  \_/   /  \/ \/ \/|/ |\__/                  
 /  /  AK #7    /| DT #90/#64 - BE #94 - PM #14 - TF #40 - DM #71
/  /  Homepage: \| <http://SportToday.org/~jwhouk/index.html>      
\_/   "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody        

 
 
 

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by Joseph Ho » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>  car, he discusses it with the crew chief, well maybe not until this one
>  gets more experience

Whooooa, nellie. Mr. Smith's been with Childress for a Loooong time.
Before they hired Petree to replace Shelmerdine, Smith was a prime
candidate for the job of CC at RCR. Don't say that Smith don't got not
experience.

   ___"The Houkster"    Joe Houk_  

 /    |              /\       /  /   /      |/  BRAVES
 |    |      _   |   |/         /___/___    |/\ BACK-TO-BACK
 \    / /\/\/_\ /|/\/|/\       /\  //\ / / /|\/ IN 1996!      
  \__/_/\/ /\__/ |\/ |  \_/   /  \/ \/ \/|/ |\__/                  
 /  /  AK #7    /| DT #90/#64 - BE #94 - PM #14 - TF #40 - DM #71
/  /  Homepage: \| <http://www.execpc.com/~jwhouk/index.html>      
\_/   "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody        

 
 
 

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by Gary S. McGri » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00


[snip]

Quote:
> Think about it, Dale *doesn't* have the final word on what get's done to the
> car, he discusses it with the crew chief, well maybe not until this one
> gets more experience, but believe he a Petree talked about what to do.
> Likewise Wallace discusses what to do, now imagine you own the team
> with your favorite driver and Everham as crew chief. Driver radio's
> in and says it is loose, adjust tire pressure, and Everham radio's back,
> negative, that will cause too much extra tire wear, we'll do a chassis
> adjustment, then he and the driver bicker over what to do and it
> finally comes down to your decision, after all you own the team, who's
> word do you take? Myself, I'd say, Ray you're the crew chief, do what needs
> to be done, and driverX, just hammer it and turn. And let's stop trying
> to fool everyone, Dale Earnhardt drove a Ford when he started and knew
> as much about what to adjust on the chassis as a new born, it's takes years
> of being in WC for him to be to the level he is today with chassis knowledge,
> and he still doesn't know a chassis as well as a good crew chief. Dale
> doesn't have all the info a crew chief does when making decisions. Dale
> turned a wrech, but he didn't have a clue as to what loose was until he
> started driving, nor did he have a clue of just how big an adjustment
> air-pressure, wedge, ect. really was. Add to that the changes that have
> happened over the years, new adjustments being added, new discoveries, ect.,
> and a crew chief is your best bet because thats part of his job, it is
> not part of a drivers job, it is a bonus.

Now let's think about this for a moment.  At *least* there is a
discourse on the possible solutions to the problem.  There is
something to be said for different opinions.  And no one can tell
better than the driver how the car feels.  If the driver has knowledge
on possible solutions, this might assist the crew.

Listening to the drivers in the local bullring here discuss the setups
on the car convince me that a driver who has some knowledge of chassis
setups is definitely an advantage.  Driving should be the primary
concern for the *DRIVER*, however, it is a team sport and any person's
input should be and is considered.
*************************************************************************
Gary S. McGriff (Southern-American)        Go #29 (NOT!), #12            
Roll Tide!!!            USS South Carolina   CGN-37  
Home Page:     http://fly.hiwaay.net/~gmcgriff/index.htm              
rasn FAQ:      http://fly.hiwaay.net/~gmcgriff/rasnfaq/faq0.htm      
NASCAR Page:   http://fly.hiwaay.net/~gmcgriff/nascar.htm            
Pics Page:     http://fly.hiwaay.net/~gmcgriff/pictures.htm          
Referee Page:  http://fly.hiwaay.net/~gmcgriff/referee.htm

*************************************************************************

 
 
 

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by Wayne Harp » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00


|>

|> >
|> >Nor about his intelligence.  Evernham is *paid* to be the Crew Chief, and
|> >that's where his expertise is supposed to lie.  Gordon is *paid* to be
|> >the driver, and that's where *his* expertise should lie.  It's a match
|> >made in heaven - Jeff can communicate what's wrong with the handling, and
|> >Ray knows what to do about it.  Maybe those drivers you mentioned who are
|> >ordering the changes should keep that in mind - concentrate on driving
|> >and find a crew chief who knows more about setup, etc., than the driver
|> >does, even if the driver knows a lot . . .
|>
|> Good Lord why???  How much more efficient can one be than to drive it *and*
|> know what to do to make it faster?  Can you see DE coming into the pits
|> saying "It's loose, fix it."?  Moreover, do you really believe DE needs
|> to concentrate *more* on his driving than he already has?  These guys have
|> been around for *years*...they aren't some crew of newbies who need to
|> improve their driving style or technique.  The best way they can improve
|> their overall performance is to tweak the***ens out of the car, and the
|> more deeply engrained they are in that process, the faster they're going
|> to crank out that performance.  In NO WAY is it a liability for a *driver*
|> to intimately know and understand chassis requirements and be able to
|> direct setup changes to improve handling.

Mark, in NO WAY was Ellen suggesting that it IS a liability to understand etc.
All along, one criticism of Jeff Gordon has been 'he don't know enough to turn
a wrench...'.  You imply that Jeff's lack of knowledge is (or should be) a
liability.  But Jeff severely tests that theory by going out and beating the
best (ie, Earnhardt) for the WCup!  Go figure!  And maybe Ellen has a point
when it comes to Earnhardt.  Perhaps he should concentrate more on driving
and LEADING cause whatever tweaking they're doing is barely getting it done.
Wayne #3 #24 #41 Montiac!

|>
|> --
|> Mark A. Breland                             "Unless you want to finish last,
|> Racing, ranching, whatever...                you got to kick a little!..."
|> Austin, Texas                                                 (Little Texas)
|> Voice/FAX: 512-389-3951       http://SportToday.org/                   NB#51
|>
|>

 
 
 

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by Hayn » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> Good Lord why???  How much more efficient can one be than to drive it
*and*
> know what to do to make it faster?  Can you see DE coming into the pits
> saying "It's loose, fix it."?  Moreover, do you really believe DE needs
> to concentrate *more* on his driving than he already has?  These guys
have
> been around for *years*...they aren't some crew of newbies who need to
> improve their driving style or technique.  The best way they can improve
> their overall performance is to tweak the***ens out of the car, and
the
> more deeply engrained they are in that process, the faster they're going
> to crank out that performance.  In NO WAY is it a liability for a
*driver*
> to intimately know and understand chassis requirements and be able to
> direct setup changes to improve handling.

I agree that it is important to know what is wrong and what changes should
be made but it is more important to be able drive the hell out of whatever
your driving and have someone else fix the problems. I used to race
olympic class sailboats and I was always in the middle of the pack, I had
good knowledge of what makes a sailboat go fast but I couldn't win. I
finally got a new crew that I trained to be able to do what I would have
done when something was wrong with the boat. In that way I could
concentrate on one job and one job only MAKE IT GO FAST! I did a lot of
winning after that, not because of my total ability, but because I could
drive a boat and they could fix the problems without me telling them what
to do. IMHO the combination of JG and Ray Evernham is the perfect one. JG
knows how to make the car go fast, and from what I have heard, he
communicates readily what is wrong with the car. Ray Evernham knows what
to fix from Jeff's complaints.  

One more time - "Please Ernie, make Bill some engines like you used to, so
I don't have to spend all my time reading and writing about JG".

Mert
As he said to the lady. "You live within two miles of
of an abandoned steel mill and waste dump and
your worried about your property value if we build
a race track there."

 
 
 

"Jeffy Weffy?", Cummo

Post by Mark A. Brelan » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> I agree that it is important to know what is wrong and what changes should
> be made but it is more important to be able drive the hell out of whatever
> your driving and have someone else fix the problems. I used to race
> olympic class sailboats and I was always in the middle of the pack, I had
> good knowledge of what makes a sailboat go fast but I couldn't win. I
> finally got a new crew that I trained to be able to do what I would have
> done when something was wrong with the boat. In that way I could
> concentrate on one job and one job only MAKE IT GO FAST! I did a lot of
> winning after that, not because of my total ability, but because I could
> drive a boat and they could fix the problems without me telling them what
> to do. IMHO the combination of JG and Ray Evernham is the perfect one. JG
> knows how to make the car go fast, and from what I have heard, he
> communicates readily what is wrong with the car. Ray Evernham knows what
> to fix from Jeff's complaints.

Of course, but here's the rub...when the JG/Evernham team breaks up,
then what?  In my original comments I did not discount driving ability.
Never did.  What I'm saying is that a driver who also knows what to
do to a car to improve performance has greater value overall than a
driver who only knows how to communicate car behavior.  Sure it's a
good thing to distribute the workload...it's also much more *efficient*
to communicate when the discussion can go to deeper levels.

What if your crew suggests you reef a sail 6"?  If you knew what the
end result would be, or how the boat would handle because of it, and
that result would not solve the problem, you'd say "no, we need to
try something else."  That's an example of a driver like DE or RW, and
you'd save the time of going out and wasting a run to see what the
result
would be.  If you *didn't* know what the end result of such a change
would be, you'd say "Great! Let's go see how it turns out."  That's an
example of a driver like JG, and you'd end up wasting a run just to find
out the change won't work.  Efficiency...

When and if JG can understand the mechanics of change to a car, he
will become much more knowledgable, much more, efficient, and much more
dominating than he currently is.  What's so difficult to understand
about that?  Resting on the laurels of today's success just because
of excellent team chemistry and balance is no sure guarantee of success
in the future.

--

[ SIGNATUR.TXT < 1K ]
1?Racing, ranching, whatever...             you got to kick a little!..."
Austin, Texas                                             (Little Texas)
Voice/FAX: 512-389-3951       http://www.breland.com               NB#51
'? '? '? --------------37337890275A--