Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Post by Matt Huggi » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 06:08:36


Right. I have wanted to post something like this for a long long time, but
recent events have bought this to the fore of my mind, so I thought I would
post it now, before I run out of time, as I am going home on Friday, so that
does leave time for replies, opinions.

My theory is that Spurs are the most unpopular team in the country, and that
they deserve that, as their behaviour recently has shown. Let me expand on
this...

First, unpopularity. Now, it strikes me that for many teams, most people don't
have an opinion. For example, as an Ipswich fan, I love Town, hate Norwich,
and that is about that. I naturally dislike the club that are the local
rivals. However, I also hate Spurs. Now, when I have asked people this, I have
quite often had the reply that they have one club in particular they dislike,
for example for a Man. Utd. fan it would be City, yet they ALSO hate Spurs!
Now, from what I can work out, this is due to a number of reasons...

1. The fact that a lot of londoners can be arrogant, which is bad, especially
   when they have nothing to be arrogant about. This isn't meant to be a
   generalisation, but if you ask anyone from outside the South-East what
   the traits of a Londener are, arrogance will be one of them. So Lonodn
   clubs are disliked in general.

2. The obvious OFFSIDE factor. The way that Spurs kill the game more than
   even the rivals, Arsenal. They have the ability to turn what may be a
   good game into a shit one, because of the tactics. Everyone knows Spurs
   do this, yet they still claim they don't...Sad..

3. Prices. Obvious, really. Pay the most for the worst.

4. The HUGE press coverage that they always get. It's disgusting. The papers
   love them, and although I like Barry Davies, it is always so close to he
   or Motson being close to *** when they get to commentate on a Spurs
   game.

Now, these things were against Spurs until the last month or so...Then their
hatability increased, because of the complete debacle at the club. For one,
press coverage increased, and that didn't help their cause. Then, the
players threaten to walk out, which was quite honourable. Of course, now they
are going to stay, with Ardilles appointed, so they have proved themselves
to be spineless imbeciles. As have the fans, who will NOT boycott the club
as they say. Sure, a few will, the REAL fans, but Spurs have more
'fairweather' fans than any other club, so I can't really see that working.
And Venebles attempt to get control is just laughable. How on EARTH can he
possibly persuade a judge to let the SMALLER shareholder take over the
bigger one??? What a mess...

Spurs are a state. They should have been punished when they were in financial
trouble. It happened to Barnet, Swindon, Maidtone and Aldershot. Why not
Spurs? I wonder why. I just know I hate 'em, and I love seeing them as far
down shit creek as they are...Because they have only just started on the
down slope...There is a long way to go yet...

--
   #-----------------------------------------------------------------------#

   |"Some people think football is a matter of life and death...Of course, |
   |  they are wrong...It's far more important than that..."-Shankley      |
   |      "If I had a penny for my thoughts I'd be a millionaire..."       |

 
 
 

Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Post by petit charl » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 08:23:51

Hating Spurs was an honorable pastime in Seattle in the late 1970s (we actually
got to see two games each week on PBS . . . and one was virtually always Spurs).
The major reason that I hate Spurs is the same reason I hate the (baseball)
Yankees:  the unmitigated gall to assume that the most expensive team on the
field is necessarily the best. Compare Spurs' philosophy to Ipswich Town's
during that period. If I have my figures correct, Town cost less than half of
what Spurs did. Town also played better football.
   _________________________________________________________________________
   C.E. Petit                | "Suspicion Breeds Confidence" -- "Brazil"

   University of Illinois    |  acting upon human experience for the benefit
   College of Law            |  of the public." -- Samuel Johnson
   __________________________|______________________________________________

 
 
 

Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Post by F. Leghor » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 08:44:44

Quote:

>1. The fact that a lot of londoners can be arrogant, which is bad, especially
>   when they have nothing to be arrogant about. This isn't meant to be a
>   generalisation, but if you ask anyone from outside the South-East what
>   the traits of a Londener are, arrogance will be one of them. So Lonodn
>   clubs are disliked in general.

I'll go along with the Spurs bashing but the London thing, that's
another issue. When the Turkey eaters take home both Cups in the
same season, they can start clucking.

 
 
 

Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Post by P.J.Felt » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 20:39:40

|> Hating Spurs was an honorable pastime in Seattle in the late 1970s (we actually
|> got to see two games each week on PBS . . . and one was virtually always Spurs).
|> The major reason that I hate Spurs is the same reason I hate the (baseball)
|> Yankees:  the unmitigated gall to assume that the most expensive team on the
|> field is necessarily the best. Compare Spurs' philosophy to Ipswich Town's
|> during that period. If I have my figures correct, Town cost less than half of
|> what Spurs did. Town also played better football.
|>    _________________________________________________________________________
|>    C.E. Petit                | "Suspicion Breeds Confidence" -- "Brazil"

|>    University of Illinois    |  acting upon human experience for the benefit
|>    College of Law            |  of the public." -- Samuel Johnson
|>    __________________________|______________________________________________

If I recall, Paul Mariner was the only signing in the FA Cup winning team
of 1978.  All the rest was 'home grown' talent.

 
 
 

Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Post by Bruce Mun » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 21:37:37

An utter load of gobshite.

Quote:
>Right. I have wanted to post something like this for a long long time, but
>recent events have bought this to the fore of my mind, so I thought I would
>post it now, before I run out of time, as I am going home on Friday, so that
>does leave time for replies, opinions.

>My theory is that Spurs are the most unpopular team in the country, and that
>they deserve that, as their behaviour recently has shown. Let me expand on
>this...

>First, unpopularity. Now, it strikes me that for many teams, most people don't
>have an opinion. For example, as an Ipswich fan, I love Town, hate Norwich,
>and that is about that. I naturally dislike the club that are the local
>rivals. However, I also hate Spurs. Now, when I have asked people this, I have
>quite often had the reply that they have one club in particular they dislike,
>for example for a Man. Utd. fan it would be City, yet they ALSO hate Spurs!
>Now, from what I can work out, this is due to a number of reasons...

Hmm. Strange. When I was in Norwich a couple of seasons ago one of their
fanzines had Spurs top in the "Favourite Other Team" category of their
end of season poll. Then again, maybe Norwich fans have more taste, which
is probably reflected in the respective performances of the two East
Anglian sides last season. What do Norwich fans call Ipswich again?

Quote:
>1. The fact that a lot of londoners can be arrogant, which is bad, especially
>   when they have nothing to be arrogant about. This isn't meant to be a
>   generalisation, but if you ask anyone from outside the South-East what
>   the traits of a Londener are, arrogance will be one of them. So Lonodn
>   clubs are disliked in general.

Seems like arrogance to tar the entire population of a city with the
same brush to me. Not to mention the fact that Ipswich is pretty much
the South-East of England anyway.

Quote:
>2. The obvious OFFSIDE factor. The way that Spurs kill the game more than
>   even the rivals, Arsenal. They have the ability to turn what may be a
>   good game into a shit one, because of the tactics. Everyone knows Spurs
>   do this, yet they still claim they don't...Sad..

Spurs have used an offside trap more than I would like, but nowhere near
as much as Arsenal are capable of. Did you see the Chelsea v Arsenal game
on Sky last season? Dire. As for stifling games, and turning them into
***ones, this is really rich coming from an Ipswich Town fan. Ipswich
were one of the most boring sides in the Premier Division last season, with
their tactic of leaving Kiwomya up front all alone and packing the midfield,
then hoofing the ball up to him. It's no surprise that they ended up with
so many draws.

Quote:
>3. Prices. Obvious, really. Pay the most for the worst.

You've obviously never been to Stamford Bridge.

Quote:
>4. The HUGE press coverage that they always get. It's disgusting. The papers
>   love them, and although I like Barry Davies, it is always so close to he
>   or Motson being close to *** when they get to commentate on a Spurs
>   game.

Probably because there's something to get e***d about. Unlike most Ipswich
performances.

Quote:
>Now, these things were against Spurs until the last month or so...Then their
>hatability increased, because of the complete debacle at the club. For one,
>press coverage increased, and that didn't help their cause. Then, the
>players threaten to walk out, which was quite honourable. Of course, now they
>are going to stay, with Ardilles appointed, so they have proved themselves
>to be spineless imbeciles. As have the fans, who will NOT boycott the club
>as they say. Sure, a few will, the REAL fans, but Spurs have more
>'fairweather' fans than any other club, so I can't really see that working.

Ha! What do you know about real fans? Funny how Ipswich's gates rocketed
after promotion. Funny how you seem to believe that you know what all
the Spurs fans think. Of all the fans I've spoken to personally none has
expressed unreserved support for Venables. Yes, he was badly treated,
but show me a club that has never sacked a manager. Can't be very many.
My loyalty is to the Spurs team, not Terry Venables. What figures have
you to prove your point about "fairweather fans"? Spurs gates have been
very steady the last few seasons, even during the dark days of the Shreeves
years. Spurs also have one of the largest travelling supports in England.

Quote:
>And Venebles attempt to get control is just laughable. How on EARTH can he
>possibly persuade a judge to let the SMALLER shareholder take over the
>bigger one??? What a mess...

By showing that Alan Sugar is not running things in the best interests of
the shareholders, as provided for in the Companies Act I believe.

Quote:
>Spurs are a state. They should have been punished when they were in financial
>trouble. It happened to Barnet, Swindon, Maidtone and Aldershot. Why not
>Spurs? I wonder why. I just know I hate 'em, and I love seeing them as far
>down shit creek as they are...Because they have only just started on the
>down slope...There is a long way to go yet...

Punished for being in financial trouble? You're off your ***y rocker!
Maidstone were lobbed out because they didn't have a ground and had about
two registered players at the start of the season. Aldershot went bankrupt
and ceased trading. Swindon were making irregular payments to players.
Barnet weren't making any payments to the players. What exactly is it
that you are accusing Spurs of when they were in difficulties? Being
short of money is not against League or FA regulations. If it were there'd
be a handful of teams left.

As for being in shit creek and going down you seem to be a bit confused.
Our league position has improved the last couple of seasons, the club
is making a decent profit, there's loads of new young talent coming through.
If Spurs end up in the First Division I'm sure Ipswich will have been back
there for a long, long time before us.

--

BNR Europe Ltd, Oakleigh Rd South, London N11 1HB.
Phone : +44 81 945 2174 or +44 81 945 4000 x2174
"There are no strangers, only friends we don't recognise" - Hank Wangford

 
 
 

Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Post by Paul Felt » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 22:31:14


|>
|> An utter load of gobshite.
|>
|> >Right. I have wanted to post something like this for a long long time, but
|> >recent events have bought this to the fore of my mind, so I thought I would
|> >post it now, before I run out of time, as I am going home on Friday, so that
|> >does leave time for replies, opinions.
|> >
|> >My theory is that Spurs are the most unpopular team in the country, and that
|> >they deserve that, as their behaviour recently has shown. Let me expand on
|> >this...
|> >
|> >First, unpopularity. Now, it strikes me that for many teams, most people don't
|> >have an opinion. For example, as an Ipswich fan, I love Town, hate Norwich,
|> >and that is about that. I naturally dislike the club that are the local
|> >rivals. However, I also hate Spurs. Now, when I have asked people this, I have
|> >quite often had the reply that they have one club in particular they dislike,
|> >for example for a Man. Utd. fan it would be City, yet they ALSO hate Spurs!
|> >Now, from what I can work out, this is due to a number of reasons...
|>
|> Hmm. Strange. When I was in Norwich a couple of seasons ago one of their
|> fanzines had Spurs top in the "Favourite Other Team" category of their
|> end of season poll. Then again, maybe Norwich fans have more taste, which
|> is probably reflected in the respective performances of the two East
|> Anglian sides last season. What do Norwich fans call Ipswich again?

Mm.  Well I wouldn't trust a Narwich fan for an opinion.  Got a Colchester reject
(Yes he was SACKED by Colchester) as a manager, and they sell anyone worth a
five figure amount.
I wouldn't have thought that Norwich Fans would like you after what you did to
them at White Hart Lane!

As for our positions, Ipswich were merely trying to establish ourselves in the
premier league.  I think the fact we stuffed Norwich 5-1 on aggregate this season,
(2-0 at Carrow Road, 3-1 at Portman Road) shows we are just as good as them.
Oh, by the way, I should know what the Norwich fans are like - I live here!

|> >1. The fact that a lot of londoners can be arrogant, which is bad, especially
|> >   when they have nothing to be arrogant about. This isn't meant to be a
|> >   generalisation, but if you ask anyone from outside the South-East what
|> >   the traits of a Londener are, arrogance will be one of them. So Lonodn
|> >   clubs are disliked in general.
|>
|> Seems like arrogance to tar the entire population of a city with the
|> same brush to me. Not to mention the fact that Ipswich is pretty much
|> the South-East of England anyway.
|>

Unjustified.  It is FACT, not opinion, that Ipswich is located in East Anglia
and not the South East.  The South East starts at around the Chelmsford area.
However, it was a bit harsh marking the whole of London in the way Matt did.

|> >2. The obvious OFFSIDE factor. The way that Spurs kill the game more than
|> >   even the rivals, Arsenal. They have the ability to turn what may be a
|> >   good game into a shit one, because of the tactics. Everyone knows Spurs
|> >   do this, yet they still claim they don't...Sad..
|>
|> Spurs have used an offside trap more than I would like, but nowhere near
|> as much as Arsenal are capable of. Did you see the Chelsea v Arsenal game
|> on Sky last season? Dire. As for stifling games, and turning them into
|> ***ones, this is really rich coming from an Ipswich Town fan. Ipswich
|> were one of the most boring sides in the Premier Division last season, with
|> their tactic of leaving Kiwomya up front all alone and packing the midfield,
|> then hoofing the ball up to him. It's no surprise that they ended up with
|> so many draws.

Clear to see you havn't seen Ipswich much this season.  The ONLY game in which
you comment is justified way Arsenal v Ipwich at Highbury on Boxing day.
You obviously missed the glorious passing game which beat Leeds United 4-2
early in the season and the 2-1 defeat of Manchester United.  Also, can you
remember the exciting football which earned both sides a draw when Liverpool
came to Portman Road.  Just because it's a draw doesn't mean it was a boring
match.  And I'm quite happy to admit our (Ipswich) defeat at Southampton was
a joy to watch.  A real thriller!
Having said that I hate Arsenal more than Spurs.

|> >3. Prices. Obvious, really. Pay the most for the worst.
|>
|> You've obviously never been to Stamford Bridge.

Dito.  Just look at Robert Fleck.

|>
|> >4. The HUGE press coverage that they always get. It's disgusting. The papers
|> >   love them, and although I like Barry Davies, it is always so close to he
|> >   or Motson being close to *** when they get to commentate on a Spurs
|> >   game.
|>
|> Probably because there's something to get e***d about. Unlike most Ipswich
|> performances.

Totally unjustified.
You have obviously not thought through you comments.  My brother went to one
match at White Hart Lane this season.  He was impressed by the facilities
spurs provided but bored with the 0-0 scoreline.
(v Aston Villa)
I'll admit Ipswich play badly sometimes, but every team does.

|>
|> >Now, these things were against Spurs until the last month or so...Then their
|> >hatability increased, because of the complete debacle at the club. For one,
|> >press coverage increased, and that didn't help their cause. Then, the
|> >players threaten to walk out, which was quite honourable. Of course, now they
|> >are going to stay, with Ardilles appointed, so they have proved themselves
|> >to be spineless imbeciles. As have the fans, who will NOT boycott the club
|> >as they say. Sure, a few will, the REAL fans, but Spurs have more
|> >'fairweather' fans than any other club, so I can't really see that working.
|>
|> Ha! What do you know about real fans? Funny how Ipswich's gates rocketed
|> after promotion. Funny how you seem to believe that you know what all
|> the Spurs fans think. Of all the fans I've spoken to personally none has
|> expressed unreserved support for Venables. Yes, he was badly treated,
|> but show me a club that has never sacked a manager. Can't be very many.
|> My loyalty is to the Spurs team, not Terry Venables. What figures have
|> you to prove your point about "fairweather fans"? Spurs gates have been
|> very steady the last few seasons, even during the dark days of the Shreeves
|> years. Spurs also have one of the largest travelling supports in England.
|>

The words 'Ipswich's gates rocketed after promotion.' are incorrect.  Ipswich's
attendances have grown, but not rocketed.  This has surly got to be expected
by any club winning promotion dont you think?
Oh, I went to much more games last season than this.  However that is to do
with the universal price discussion not whether I'm a REAL fan or not.
Ipswich have loads of real fans.  Being a small town in Suffolk, it's fans
are distributed throughout the whole of EAST ANGLIA, and many, including myself
have to travel 40 miles to the matches REGULARLY.  Thats dedication.
Although Spurs has support (quite a bit) outside of London, I would imagine
that the vast majority at a home match are from London. (This is not to say
they are not real fans)

|> >And Venebles attempt to get control is just laughable. How on EARTH can he
|> >possibly persuade a judge to let the SMALLER shareholder take over the
|> >bigger one??? What a mess...
|>
|> By showing that Alan Sugar is not running things in the best interests of
|> the shareholders, as provided for in the Companies Act I believe.
|>

Fair enough

|> >Spurs are a state. They should have been punished when they were in financial
|> >trouble. It happened to Barnet, Swindon, Maidtone and Aldershot. Why not
|> >Spurs? I wonder why. I just know I hate 'em, and I love seeing them as far
|> >down shit creek as they are...Because they have only just started on the
|> >down slope...There is a long way to go yet...
|>
|> Punished for being in financial trouble? You're off your ***y rocker!
|> Maidstone were lobbed out because they didn't have a ground and had about
|> two registered players at the start of the season. Aldershot went bankrupt
|> and ceased trading. Swindon were making irregular payments to players.
|> Barnet weren't making any payments to the players. What exactly is it
|> that you are accusing Spurs of when they were in difficulties? Being
|> short of money is not against League or FA regulations. If it were there'd
|> be a handful of teams left.
|>

Yes, but most businesses are forced to close by the courts when they are 7million
in debt which you were.  However, this would have been a bit premiture since
spurs do seem to be on the up financially.

|> As for being in shit creek and going down you seem to be a bit confused.
|> Our league position has improved the last couple of seasons, the club
|> is making a decent profit, there's loads of new young talent coming through.
|> If Spurs end up in the First Division I'm sure Ipswich will have been back
|> there for a long, long time before us.
|>

Ha, Ha!  Well, the last paragraph is really down to opinion.  Ipswich have
has a season of two halves but I think both Spurs and Ipswich both have a long
future in the Premier League.

|> --

|> BNR Europe Ltd, Oakleigh Rd South, London N11 1HB.
|> Phone : +44 81 945 2174 or +44 81 945 4000 x2174
|> "There are no strangers, only friends we don't recognise" - Hank Wangford

TTFN

Paul Felton

 
 
 

Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Post by Daniel Coh » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 22:44:18


Quote:
>Right. I have wanted to post something like this for a long long time, but
>recent events have bought this to the fore of my mind, so I thought I would
>post it now, before I run out of time, as I am going home on Friday, so that
>does leave time for replies, opinions.

Well, I'll leave aside your opinions, since there's too much factually
incorrect ***to respond to first! Don't take that as acceptance
though.

Quote:
>1. The fact that a lot of londoners can be arrogant, which is bad, especially
>   when they have nothing to be arrogant about.

Read back your own post and then decide who's arrogant.

Quote:
>2. The obvious OFFSIDE factor. The way that Spurs kill the game more than
>   even the rivals, Arsenal. They have the ability to turn what may be a
>   good game into a shit one, because of the tactics. Everyone knows Spurs
>   do this, yet they still claim they don't...Sad..

Yeah. I hate this. Venables brought it with him from QPR and pioneered
its use in the English game. I think the rest of the managers/coaches
have more-or-less caught up with him now but Spurs still use the
off-side trap plenty. In Venables' defence (ho, ho) I can only offer
that Spurs defences were so notoriously leaky that something drastic
had to be done. But I don't consider this sufficient justification for
overuse of the offside rule.

Quote:
>3. Prices. Obvious, really. Pay the most for the worst.

Just plain wrong; in both respects. Check your facts.

Quote:
>4. The HUGE press coverage that they always get. It's disgusting. The papers
>   love them, and although I like Barry Davies, it is always so close to he
>   or Motson being close to *** when they get to commentate on a Spurs
>   game.

Maybe the press coverage is evidence of their popularity? Or would that
be too hard for you to accept?

Quote:
>players threaten to walk out, which was quite honourable. Of course, now they
>are going to stay, with Ardilles appointed, so they have proved themselves
>to be spineless imbeciles.

Eh? Walking out and not honouring your contract is honourable;
honouring your contract is not????? This is completely brain-dead!

Quote:
>As have the fans, who will NOT boycott the club
>as they say. Sure, a few will, the REAL fans, but Spurs have more
>'fairweather' fans than any other club, so I can't really see that working.

EH?!? You say that real fans boycott the club, but fairweather fans
actually turn up!!!!! Now I understand why you think we have a lot of
fairweather fans.

Quote:
>Spurs are a state. They should have been punished when they were in financial

What for? For not being liked by you?

Quote:
>trouble. It happened to Barnet, Swindon, Maidtone and Aldershot. Why not
>Spurs? I wonder why. I just know I hate 'em, and I love seeing them as far
>down shit creek as they are

Down shit creek? In what way? We have a good team, a good ground, solid
support, solid finances (now), and a place in the Premier League. What
on earth are you talking about?

Quote:
>There is a long way to go yet...

All the way down to, let's see, Ipswich's level, perhaps?

Cheers,

Daniel Cohen              Department of Computer Science

Tel: +44 71 975 5245/4/9  Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK
Fax: +44 81 980 6533      *** Glory, Glory, Hallelujah ***

 
 
 

Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Post by Daniel Coh » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 22:47:16


Quote:
>The major reason that I hate Spurs is the same reason I hate the (baseball)
>Yankees:  the unmitigated gall to assume that the most expensive team on the
>field is necessarily the best.

1) Spurs don't have the most expensive team on the field. Not anymore
(even if they ever did). So who do you hate NOW?

2) Who made that assumption? I don't remember anyone at Spurs ever
saying that they were the best because they were the most expensive.
Perhaps it was something you liked to think they assumed, to bolster
your prejudices?

Daniel Cohen              Department of Computer Science

Tel: +44 71 975 5245/4/9  Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK
Fax: +44 81 980 6533      *** Glory, Glory, Hallelujah ***

 
 
 

Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Post by Nigel Yatem » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 22:59:31

Quote:


>|> Hating Spurs was an honorable pastime in Seattle in the late 1970s (we actually
>|> got to see two games each week on PBS . . . and one was virtually always Spurs).
>|> The major reason that I hate Spurs is the same reason I hate the (baseball)
>|> Yankees:  the unmitigated gall to assume that the most expensive team on the
>|> field is necessarily the best. Compare Spurs' philosophy to Ipswich Town's
>|> during that period. If I have my figures correct, Town cost less than half of
>|> what Spurs did. Town also played better football.
>|>    _________________________________________________________________________
>|>    C.E. Petit                | "Suspicion Breeds Confidence" -- "Brazil"

>|>    University of Illinois    |  acting upon human experience for the benefit
>|>    College of Law            |  of the public." -- Samuel Johnson
>|>    __________________________|______________________________________________

>If I recall, Paul Mariner was the only signing in the FA Cup winning team
>of 1978.  All the rest was 'home grown' talent.

Cooper, Burley, Mills, Talbot, Hunter, Beattie, Osbourne (sub. Lambert),
Wark, Mariner, Geddis, Woods sub. Lambert

Alan Hunter was bought from Blackburn Rovers.

Nigel

 
 
 

Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Post by Paul Felt » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 23:43:14


|>
|> >The major reason that I hate Spurs is the same reason I hate the (baseball)
|> >Yankees:  the unmitigated gall to assume that the most expensive team on the
|> >field is necessarily the best.
|>
|> 1) Spurs don't have the most expensive team on the field. Not anymore
|> (even if they ever did). So who do you hate NOW?
|>
|> 2) Who made that assumption? I don't remember anyone at Spurs ever
|> saying that they were the best because they were the most expensive.
|> Perhaps it was something you liked to think they assumed, to bolster
|> your prejudices?
|>
|> Daniel Cohen              Department of Computer Science

|> Tel: +44 71 975 5245/4/9  Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK
|> Fax: +44 81 980 6533      *** Glory, Glory, Hallelujah ***
|>
I think the point of the original text was that many neutral fans prefer to
follow a side which is home grown than bought with load of money.  This is
not to say that if you've got the money you ain't allowed to spend it, only
that it takes more skill for a manager to spot talent in the lower ranks and
encourage it, than to spend 3.6million on Alan Shearer.
______________________________________________________________________________

WARNING : THIS USER WILL BE CLOSED FROM FRIDAY 26th JUNE TO MONDAY
          27th SEPTEMBER.  I WILL BE AVAILABLE BY SNAIL MAIL ONLY
          DURING THIS PERIOD.

And now for something completely different...
  ______________________________________________________________

   \   Suffolk Terrace,          \                               \
    \   University of East Anglia,\   IPSWICH TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB  \
     \   University Plain,         \   "Pride of Anglia"           \
      \   Norwich,                  \   League Champions 1961-62    \
       \   NR4 7TJ,                  \   FA Cup Winners 1977-78      \
        \   England                   \   UEFA Cup Winners 1980-81    \
         \_____________________________\_______________________________\

        Q: What's the difference between a Turkey and a Canary?
        A: A Turkey only gets stuffed once a year!

               "If you all hate Narwich clap your hands..."

(c) Excessive Sigs 1993

 
 
 

Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Post by Paul Felt » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 23:49:08



|> >|> Hating Spurs was an honorable pastime in Seattle in the late 1970s (we actually
|> >|> got to see two games each week on PBS . . . and one was virtually always Spurs).
|> >|> The major reason that I hate Spurs is the same reason I hate the (baseball)
|> >|> Yankees:  the unmitigated gall to assume that the most expensive team on the
|> >|> field is necessarily the best. Compare Spurs' philosophy to Ipswich Town's
|> >|> during that period. If I have my figures correct, Town cost less than half of
|> >|> what Spurs did. Town also played better football.
|> >|>    _________________________________________________________________________
|> >|>    C.E. Petit                | "Suspicion Breeds Confidence" -- "Brazil"

|> >|>    University of Illinois    |  acting upon human experience for the benefit
|> >|>    College of Law            |  of the public." -- Samuel Johnson
|> >|>    __________________________|______________________________________________
|> >
|> >If I recall, Paul Mariner was the only signing in the FA Cup winning team
|> >of 1978.  All the rest was 'home grown' talent.
|> >
|>
|> Cooper, Burley, Mills, Talbot, Hunter, Beattie, Osbourne (sub. Lambert),
|> Wark, Mariner, Geddis, Woods sub. Lambert
|>
|> Alan Hunter was bought from Blackburn Rovers.
|>
|> Nigel

Sorry! Slap rists all round.  And to think, I've got the programme...
Goal Time : 77min Osborne.  Sub straight away.

Paul.

______________________________________________________________________________

WARNING : THIS USER WILL BE CLOSED FROM FRIDAY 26th JUNE TO MONDAY
          27th SEPTEMBER.  I WILL BE AVAILABLE BY SNAIL MAIL ONLY
          DURING THIS PERIOD.

And now for something completely different...
  ______________________________________________________________

   \   Suffolk Terrace,          \                               \
    \   University of East Anglia,\   IPSWICH TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB  \
     \   University Plain,         \   "Pride of Anglia"           \
      \   Norwich,                  \   League Champions 1961-62    \
       \   NR4 7TJ,                  \   FA Cup Winners 1977-78      \
        \   England                   \   UEFA Cup Winners 1980-81    \
         \_____________________________\_______________________________\

        Q: What's the difference between a Turkey and a Canary?
        A: A Turkey only gets stuffed once a year!

               "If you all hate Narwich clap your hands..."

(c) Excessive Sigs 1993

 
 
 

Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Post by Robert J. Krawi » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 19:00:51

I heard on the news last night that Chicago erupted into an ***
of *** last night following the Chicago Bulls winning the NBA
finals for a third consecutive time (a three-peat, as its called).
One person died and over 700 were arrested.

The police called it a "quiet night, much better than last year" !

This follows problems in Montreal after the Canadiens won hockey's
Stanley Cup.

These incidents certainly put a lot of the english hooliganism
into context: most of the trouble involving english fans occurs
abroad where there is free-flowing *** and a certain amount
of local provocative (according to some reports). I can't remember
any news of rampaging english supporters at a domestic game for a
long time, certainly not outside the ground anyway.

Perhaps those media moguls so critical of soccer/football fans in
the USA will take note of their own sports fans behaviour before
denegrating soccer because of the behaviour of a handful of drunks.

Rob K.

p.s. There. Made it all the way to the end without saying England,
Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland should have 4 teams in the
WC ( :-) ).

 
 
 

Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Post by R.E.Benfie » Thu, 24 Jun 1993 01:58:51


Quote:

>I heard on the news last night that Chicago erupted into an ***
>of *** last night following the Chicago Bulls winning the NBA
>finals for a third consecutive time (a three-peat, as its called).
>One person died and over 700 were arrested.

>The police called it a "quiet night, much better than last year" !

I visited Chicago last September, and the papers there were still
discussing the *** that took place after the "Bulls" had won
the league the previous June. The scale of the rioting was described
as on a par with the Los Angeles riots that spring. Interestingly,
no news of the Chicago rioting seemed to be reported outside the USA.
Now just imagine what the reporting would have been like if a few
English soccer fans had burned down a bar in Chicago after a
match there....
 
 
 

Spurs...Don't you just HATE 'em?

Post by Andrew Bu » Thu, 24 Jun 1993 01:29:08


: I heard on the news last night that Chicago erupted into an ***
: of *** last night following the Chicago Bulls winning the NBA
: finals for a third consecutive time (a three-peat, as its called).
: One person died and over 700 were arrested.

Last I heard 3 people died.

Andy