Why didn't Sampson let Wynalda play?

Why didn't Sampson let Wynalda play?

Post by schil.. » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00


He seems like the most likely to score. what's the problem?

 
 
 

Why didn't Sampson let Wynalda play?

Post by Chuck Pears » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: He seems like the most likely to score. what's the problem?

simply put, he's not anymore.  he was nowhere near the goal against
germany, and i don't think he should have started that one.

the question remains, where has brian mcbride been all this time, and
how was he supposed to be ready for the biggest game of this world cup for
the USA without the playing time leading up to it?

chuck
--
                                              [thanx to douglas giancoli.]
if music be the food of physics, play on.


 
 
 

Why didn't Sampson let Wynalda play?

Post by JIM MUNSO » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:


> : He seems like the most likely to score. what's the problem?

> simply put, he's not anymore.  he was nowhere near the goal against
> germany, and i don't think he should have started that one.

> the question remains, where has brian mcbride been all this time, and
> how was he supposed to be ready for the biggest game of this world cup for
> the USA without the playing time leading up to it?

> chuck
> --
>                                               [thanx to douglas giancoli.]
> if music be the food of physics, play on.


I don't claim to be an expert at soccer but I love the game and have
greatly enjoyed the world cup.

Your comments on Wynalda are at odds with three of the players on the
U.S. Team quoted in the Orange County Register.

Reyna: "In all honesty I'm surprised he didn't get a chance."
Keller: "Well, I would have liked him out there."
Moore: "He's a very dangerous player who creates a lot of opportunities.

So what do you know that these guys don't know?

 
 
 

Why didn't Sampson let Wynalda play?

Post by Chris Francisc » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:


> > simply put, he's not anymore.  he was nowhere near the goal against
> > germany, and i don't think he should have started that one.

> > the question remains, where has brian mcbride been all this time, and
> > how was he supposed to be ready for the biggest game of this world cup for
> > the USA without the playing time leading up to it?

> I don't claim to be an expert at soccer but I love the game and have
> greatly enjoyed the world cup.

> Your comments on Wynalda are at odds with three of the players on the
> U.S. Team quoted in the Orange County Register.

> Reyna: "In all honesty I'm surprised he didn't get a chance."
> Keller: "Well, I would have liked him out there."
> Moore: "He's a very dangerous player who creates a lot of opportunities.

> So what do you know that these guys don't know?

2 things about this. One, Chuck is spot on regarding Wynalda not scoring
lately. Can you tell me the last time he scored in an international?
Honestly, I don't have any idea. I can't remember; it's been a long time.
Also, what do you expect those players to say of their long-time teammate?
"Yeah, he didn't play because he's been ***lately." I would rather have
had him in there than Wegerle, though. It would also help for Wynalda to
lose the attitude and temper.

Chris

 
 
 

Why didn't Sampson let Wynalda play?

Post by Steven Rub » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 17:43:26 -0700, JIM MUNSON

Quote:

>Your comments on Wynalda are at odds with three of the players on the
>U.S. Team quoted in the Orange County Register.

>Reyna: "In all honesty I'm surprised he didn't get a chance."
>Keller: "Well, I would have liked him out there."
>Moore: "He's a very dangerous player who creates a lot of opportunities.

>So what do you know that these guys don't know?

I happen to think Wynalda should have played some against Iran, but
nonetheless, you have to take this stuff with a grain of salt, unless
you agree with Ramos that Jeff Agoos should have gotten more playing
time in France.

Steven

 
 
 

Why didn't Sampson let Wynalda play?

Post by Chuck Pears » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: 2 things about this. One, Chuck is spot on regarding Wynalda not scoring
: lately. Can you tell me the last time he scored in an international?
: Honestly, I don't have any idea. I can't remember; it's been a long time.

eric wynalda's last international goal was against cuba in the first round
of the CONCACAF gold cup on february 1, 1998.

all of the following players have scored goals for the US side since eric
wynalda scored his last:

brian mcbride
ernie stewart
tab ramos
claudio reyna
frankie hejduk
marcelo balboa
chad deering
preki radosavljvic
eddie pope
joe-max moore

oh, and lest we forget, roy wegerle's last international goal was in that
match as well.  8-)

: Also, what do you expect those players to say of their long-time teammate?
: "Yeah, he didn't play because he's been ***lately."

what i don't understand - and don't give me ***about wynalda's injury,
'cause he had many important internationals before the MLS season started
- and lest we forget, mcbride isn't exactly injury-proof - is why so many of
the national team players have been wynalda and wegerle supporters, when
*neither* of these turkeys have delivered the goods.  brian mcbride *can*
finish, he's the only one of the starters that *has* finished this year,
and he is the guy for the future.  why you go with *anybody* else is
beyond me.

: I would rather have had him in there than Wegerle, though.

let's say this for wynalda:  he has made roy wegerle look like a good
player this tournament.

: It would also help for Wynalda to lose the attitude and temper.

well, duh.  8-)

chuck
--
                                              [thanx to douglas giancoli.]
if music be the food of physics, play on.

 
 
 

Why didn't Sampson let Wynalda play?

Post by Barry Hamil » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> the question remains, where has brian mcbride been all this time, and
> how was he supposed to be ready for the biggest game of this world cup for
> the USA without the playing time leading up to it?

And this is why Sampson should be fired.  He didn't do the one useful
thing he could have- set a lineup months ago and let players develop
some communication and chemistry.  I've always liked the idea of pairing
McBride and Wynalda, but they never got enough of a chance to see if it
would work.

--

barry hamill

 
 
 

Why didn't Sampson let Wynalda play?

Post by joseph varga » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Let's us read between the lines! Eric opened his mouth and criticized Sampson
that's why he did not play. It  is not about when he scored last. Keller and the
others who opened there mouth after the Iran match will not play either. Sampson
is a jerk. and all this talk about Mc Bride scoring , my God how many chances
did he have!

 
 
 

Why didn't Sampson let Wynalda play?

Post by brodric » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Did Eric actually say something to***off the coach? Is that what the problem is?

Rick

Quote:


> Let's us read between the lines! Eric opened his mouth and criticized Sampson
> that's why he did not play. It  is not about when he scored last. Keller and the
> others who opened there mouth after the Iran match will not play either. Sampson
> is a jerk. and all this talk about Mc Bride scoring , my God how many chances
> did he have!

 
 
 

Why didn't Sampson let Wynalda play?

Post by Chuck Pears » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: Did Eric actually say something to***off the coach? Is that what the problem is?

if it is, it wouldn't be the first time, that's for dang sure.

chuck
--
                                              [thanx to douglas giancoli.]
if music be the food of physics, play on.

 
 
 

Why didn't Sampson let Wynalda play?

Post by zencrui.. » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00



Quote:


> : Did Eric actually say something to***off the coach? Is that what the
problem is?

> if it is, it wouldn't be the first time, that's for dang sure.

This from
http://SportToday.org/
worldcup98/covers/usa/sampson62498.htm

"U.S. career scoring leader Eric Wynalda, benched
for the humiliating 2-1 loss to Iran, still wouldn't
speak about the move. Wynalda was threatened
with being sent home earlier this month while the
team was based at Saint-Jean D'Ardieres, two
team sources said on the condition they not be
identified. Alexi Lalas also was threatened with
getting cut, one of the sources said."

Maybe Wynalda isn't the player he was in years past,
but I sure wouldn't have minded seeing him paired with
McBride against Iran. A better question for this thread
would be, "What does Wegerle have on Sampson?"

David

-----== Posted via Deja News, The Leader in Internet Discussion ==-----
http://SportToday.org/; Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading