(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Jason Maxwel » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:07:32



Quote:
> Quarterfinal pairings in bracket order:

> Canada - Guatemala

Canada

Quote:
> United States - Panama

U.S.

Quote:
> Honduras - Guadeloupe

Honduras, with Guadeloupe as the possible Cinderella

Quote:
> Mexico - Costa Rica

Mexico, in the closest game of the quarters.

Setting up a semis of:

USA - Canada, in which I'd pick the US
and
Honduras - Mexico, in which I'd pick Mexico

leading to a U.S. - Mexico final where I pick the U.S.

Jason

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Yo Merit » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:18:52

Quote:

> FT Panama 0-1 Mexico
> [Salcido 60]

Panama was very unlucky yesterday. By all good probability laws, it
should not be that way next time. ;)

Now for Mexico it is a win/win situation. If they go out early, they
could work to avoid embarrassment as much as possible in Copa America.

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by The Doct » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:23:57


Quote:



>> Quarterfinal pairings in bracket order:

>> Canada - Guatemala

>Canada

>> United States - Panama

>U.S.

>> Honduras - Guadeloupe

>Honduras, with Guadeloupe as the possible Cinderella

>> Mexico - Costa Rica

>Mexico, in the closest game of the quarters.

>Setting up a semis of:

>USA - Canada, in which I'd pick the US

This might end up in a shoot out.

Quote:
>and
>Honduras - Mexico, in which I'd pick Mexico

>leading to a U.S. - Mexico final where I pick the U.S.

>Jason

--
Member - Liberal International  

God Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
PAtriots! MAke your declaration of loyalty!

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by PB » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:58:13


Quote:
> Quarterfinal pairings in bracket order:

> Canada - Guatemala
> United States - Panama
> Honduras - Guadeloupe
> Mexico - Costa Rica

Since the only US-Panama game I could remember was the 2005 final, I
started looking through past GC results -- turns out they met in 1993
and 1991 ... it also turns out that in this event, the US has only
ever lost to Mexico and Brazil:

---
USA Against Gold Cup Opponents (w-t-l)
---
Costa Rica 5-0-0
Cuba 4-0-0
El Salvador 4-0-0
Honduras 3-1-0 (won on pks)
Jamaica 3-0-0
Panama 2-1-0 (won on pks)
Guatemala 2-0-0
Trin & Tob 2-0-0
Haiti 1-0-0
Martinique 1-0-0
Peru 1-0-0
S. Korea 1-0-0
Canada 1-1-0 (won on pks)
Brazil 1-0-2
Mexico 1-0-2
Colombia 0-1-0 (lost on pks)

Total 32-4-4
v Central America 16-2-0
v Caribbean 11-0-0
Outside US soil 0-0-1 (4-0 loss to Mexico in Azteca)

P

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Bruce Scott TO » Sat, 16 Jun 2007 00:11:28

Quote:

>Now for Mexico it is a win/win situation. If they go out early, they
>could work to avoid embarrassment as much as possible in Copa America.

Is Mexico putting more emphasis on the Gold Cup or on Copa America (or
equal)?

--
ciao,
Bruce

drift wave turbulence:  http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~bds/

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Yo Merit » Sat, 16 Jun 2007 01:40:23


Quote:

>>Now for Mexico it is a win/win situation. If they go out early, they
>>could work to avoid embarrassment as much as possible in Copa America.

> Is Mexico putting more emphasis on the Gold Cup or on Copa America (or
> equal)?

I would say it is sligthly less for the Gold Cup. Probably Hugo
Snchez considered the Gold Cup as training for Copa America, but
nevertheless, he said the goal was to win the ticket for the
Conferederations Cup.
 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Bruce Scott TO » Sat, 16 Jun 2007 02:31:48

Quote:


>> Is Mexico putting more emphasis on the Gold Cup or on Copa America (or
>> equal)?
>I would say it is sligthly less for the Gold Cup. Probably Hugo
>Snchez considered the Gold Cup as training for Copa America, but
>nevertheless, he said the goal was to win the ticket for the
>Conferederations Cup.

OK...  I'd like to see the US put a little more into Copa America in
general...  at least we're attending this year.

--
ciao,
Bruce

drift wave turbulence:  http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~bds/

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Jim Golobo » Sat, 16 Jun 2007 03:45:26

On Jun 14, 1:31 pm, Bruce Scott TOK <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-

Quote:



> >> Is Mexico putting more emphasis on the Gold Cup or on Copa America (or
> >> equal)?
> >I would say it is sligthly less for the Gold Cup. Probably Hugo
> >Snchez considered the Gold Cup as training for Copa America, but
> >nevertheless, he said the goal was to win the ticket for the
> >Conferederations Cup.

> OK...  I'd like to see the US put a little more into Copa America in
> general...  at least we're attending this year.

Conceptually I like the idea of playing in the Copa America, but it's
a mess this year, coming right after the Gold Cup. Since MLS doesn't
adjust their schedule at all, it's unfair (IMO) to call up MLS players
for both tournaments--Donovan has apparently been convinced to play,
after expressing some reservations earlier, and he's probably going to
end up missing five Galaxy matches in total. Some of the other MLS
players will probably be excused (which makes it even more unfair for
the Galaxy), and will probably be replaced by players that are simply
second-tier instead of promising--Steven Goff implied today that
Olsen, Namoff, and Boswell from DCU are going to be called up for Copa
America, or are at least under consideration--only Boswell has any
sort of future prospects with the national team.

Further complicating things is that the U-20 WC is at the same time as
Copa America, which eliminates obvious prospects like Adu and Altidore
from the Copa roster. This is hurting Chile too--what is Argentina
doing with their young players?

Quote:
>From a fan's perspective, I prefer the Gold Cup...matches against

South American teams other than Brazil and Argentina don't do much for
me, at least we have a history with CONCACAF rivals.
 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by PB » Sat, 16 Jun 2007 06:49:51


Quote:
> Conceptually I like the idea of playing in the Copa America, but it's
> a mess this year ...

... isn't it always a mess?

Quote:
> From a fan's perspective, I prefer the Gold Cup...matches against
> South American teams other than Brazil and Argentina don't do much for
> me, at least we have a history with CONCACAF rivals.

If Gold Cups weren't overwhelmingly US-based, the rivalries might be
more competitive. As things stand, the games aren't challenging
enough, and if Sampson and Arena are examples to judge by, this gives
coaches too much confidence in players who don't deserve it.

P

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Jim Golobo » Sun, 17 Jun 2007 07:40:57


Quote:

> > Conceptually I like the idea of playing in the Copa America, but it's
> > a mess this year ...

> ... isn't it always a mess?

Maybe in the future, MLS will finally thin out the schedule during
international competitions, reducing the conflicts when it comes to
selecting MLS players for these competitions.

Quote:
> As things stand, the games aren't challenging
> enough, and if Sampson and Arena are examples to judge by, this gives
> coaches too much confidence in players who don't deserve it.

Later in the cycle this is certainly true, but I'm not sure how many
conclusions should be drawn from matches this summer, even against
good opposition. If we're smart, we're selecting players that are
expected to improve in the next few years.
 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by PB » Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:50:07


Quote:
> Later in the cycle this is certainly true, but I'm not sure how many
> conclusions should be drawn from matches this summer, even against
> good opposition.

Fair point.

Quote:
> If we're smart, we're selecting players that are
> expected to improve in the next few years.

How many of our uncapped players are really worth that gamble? You
mentioned Altidore and Adu before, but who else?

My impression is that age won't be nearly as much of an issue this
cycle. Last time around, we had a coach who was reluctant to weed out
his enormous pool of aging players: holdovers Stewart, Cobi, Sanneh,
McBride, Armas, Reyna, Berhalter, Pope, Hejduk, Lewis, and Vanney,
joined by Ralston, Zavagnin, and old-before-their-timers Wolff,
O'Brien, and Mathis.

This time around, the list is a lot shorter: Hejduk, Mastroeni,
Conrad, and Ching, plus maybe Ralston and Olsen. As a result, I don't
anticipate many spots where a youngster could step in.

P

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Jason Maxwel » Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:12:46


Quote:


> > Quarterfinal pairings in bracket order:

> > Canada - Guatemala

> Canada

Check

Quote:
> > United States - Panama

> U.S.

Check

Quote:
> > Honduras - Guadeloupe

> Honduras, with Guadeloupe as the possible Cinderella

Half-check ;)

Quote:
> > Mexico - Costa Rica

> Mexico, in the closest game of the quarters.

Check

Quote:
> Setting up a semis of:

> USA - Canada, in which I'd pick the US
> and
> Honduras - Mexico, in which I'd pick Mexico

> leading to a U.S. - Mexico final where I pick the U.S.

Not revising my predictions for these games

Jason