(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Jim Golobo » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:21:16


55' Honduras 4-0 Cuba
[Pavon 2, 10, 40, 53]

Didn't see the first half, apparently Pavon is having a decent game :)

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Jim Golobo » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:02:07

FT Honduras 5-0 Cuba
[Pavon 2, 10, 40, 53, Guevara 88]

Scenarios for the final match:

Panama wins--Panama first, Honduras second, Mexico third, but advances
unless they lose by more than 5 goals.
Draw--Honduras first, Panama second, Mexico third
Mexico wins--Honduras first, Mexico second, Panama third.


Quote:
> 55' Honduras 4-0 Cuba
> [Pavon 2, 10, 40, 53]

> Didn't see the first half, apparently Pavon is having a decent game :)


 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by PB » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:23:53


Quote:
> 55' Honduras 4-0 Cuba
> [Pavon 2, 10, 40, 53]

> Didn't see the first half, apparently Pavon is having a decent game :)

http://rsssf.com/miscellaneous/century.html

I'm not sure how up-to-date this RSSSF page is, but Pavon's
performance seems to launch him into a tie for 2nd among Central
America's all-time goalscorers:

1. Rolando Fonseca, CR 47 goals (last recorded one 3/28/07)
2t. Carlos Pavon, Honduras 45 (previous one 4/19/07)
2t. Paulo Wanchope, CR 45
4. Raul Diaz Arce, El Salvador 39
5t. Carlos Ruiz, Guatemala 35 (including one in Gold Cup)
5t. Juan Carlos Plata, Guatemala 35

P

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by PB » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:28:35


Quote:
> 55' Honduras 4-0 Cuba
> [Pavon 2, 10, 40, 53]

> Didn't see the first half, apparently Pavon is having a decent game :)

By the way, they mentioned during the broadcast that Lester More and
Osvaldo Alonso had ditched the Cuban team. Presumably, this had some
impact on morale.

P

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Cosmos Factor » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:47:02


Quote:

> > 55' Honduras 4-0 Cuba
> > [Pavon 2, 10, 40, 53]

> > Didn't see the first half, apparently Pavon is having a decent game :)

> By the way, they mentioned during the broadcast that Lester More and
> Osvaldo Alonso had ditched the Cuban team. Presumably, this had some
> impact on morale.

> P

13 junior Haitian soccer players desert national team in New York at
JFK airport before a planned Wednesday trip to South Korea to prepare
for the upcoming FIFA Under-17 World Cup.
 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Jason Maxwel » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:04:09


Quote:
> Scenarios for the final match:

> Draw--Honduras first, Panama second, Mexico third

In this scenario both Guadeloupe and Mexico would have 4 points and a 0 GD.
What's the next tiebreaker to decide who the U.S. plays in the next round?

Jason

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Jim Golobo » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:04:24

HT Panama 0-0 Mexico

Baloy and Castillo have hit the posts for their respective teams.


Quote:
> Scenarios for the final match:

> Panama wins--Panama first, Honduras second, Mexico third, but advances
> unless they lose by more than 5 goals.
> Draw--Honduras first, Panama second, Mexico third
> Mexico wins--Honduras first, Mexico second, Panama third.

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by PB » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:08:06


Quote:
> HT Panama 0-0 Mexico

> Baloy and Castillo have hit the posts for their respective teams.

Is Medina not playing for Panama in this tournament? They've held up
reasonably well defensively, but they seem to be lacking a ballhandler
in midfield.

P

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Jim Golobo » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:16:32


Quote:

> > HT Panama 0-0 Mexico

> > Baloy and Castillo have hit the posts for their respective teams.

> Is Medina not playing for Panama in this tournament?

He isn't...didn't play in the UNCAF tournament either, I don't think
he's played much since Guimaraes took over.

Quote:
>They've held up
> reasonably well defensively, but they seem to be lacking a ballhandler
> in midfield.

I was thinking the same thing.
 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Jim Golobo » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:19:49


Quote:


> > Draw--Honduras first, Panama second, Mexico third

> In this scenario both Guadeloupe and Mexico would have 4 points and a 0 GD.
> What's the next tiebreaker to decide who the U.S. plays in the next round?

I don't think there would be a tiebreaker...the winner of group A
definitely plays the second-place team from group B, and the winner of
group C can't play the third-place team from group C, so the US would
play Mexico.
 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Cosmos Factor » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:27:37


Quote:


> > > HT Panama 0-0 Mexico

> > > Baloy and Castillo have hit the posts for their respective teams.

> > Is Medina not playing for Panama in this tournament?

> He isn't...didn't play in the UNCAF tournament either, I don't think
> he's played much since Guimaraes took over.

> >They've held up
> > reasonably well defensively, but they seem to be lacking a ballhandler
> > in midfield.

> I was thinking the same thing.

For a state-of-the art indoor\outdoor field that turf is craptacular.
 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Jason Maxwel » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:31:08


Quote:




for the final match:
Quote:

> > > Draw--Honduras first, Panama second, Mexico third

> > In this scenario both Guadeloupe and Mexico would have 4 points and a 0
GD.
> > What's the next tiebreaker to decide who the U.S. plays in the next
round?

> I don't think there would be a tiebreaker...the winner of group A
> definitely plays the second-place team from group B, and the winner of
> group C can't play the third-place team from group C, so the US would
> play Mexico.

Ah, good point.  So as distasteful as this is, Go Mexico!

Jason

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Rob Maxwel » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:34:27


Quote:


>> Scenarios for the final match:

>> Draw--Honduras first, Panama second, Mexico third

> In this scenario both Guadeloupe and Mexico would have 4 points and a 0
> GD.
> What's the next tiebreaker to decide who the U.S. plays in the next round?

It was pre-decided that the first place team in Group B (USA) would play
either the third place team in either Group A (Guadeloupe) or C (Mexico, in
this scenario). However, the Group C winner (Panama, in this scenario) was
to play either the third place team from Group A or B. Therefore, unless
Mexico loses by five goals to Panama, the Group B third place team (El
Salvador) goes home and as such, the Group C winner (Panama) can only play
Guadeloupe, Thus leaving the United States to play Mexico.

And this just in....

Mex 1-0 Pan 59'

-Rob

Quote:

> Jason

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Jim Golobo » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:35:15

63' Panama 0-1 Mexico
[Salcido 60]

A corner kick is headed on to the back post (by a Panama player, I
think) where Salcido is unmarked and scores easily.

Panama had good chances for Perez and Garces earlier in the half.


Quote:


> > > HT Panama 0-0 Mexico

> > > Baloy and Castillo have hit the posts for their respective teams.

> > Is Medina not playing for Panama in this tournament?

> He isn't...didn't play in the UNCAF tournament either, I don't think
> he's played much since Guimaraes took over.

> >They've held up
> > reasonably well defensively, but they seem to be lacking a ballhandler
> > in midfield.

> I was thinking the same thing.

 
 
 

(R) Gold Cup Day 8 (Honduras-Cuba, Panama-Mexico)

Post by Jim Golobo » Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:11:05

FT Panama 0-1 Mexico
[Salcido 60]

Mexico barely escapes:

66th minute--Baloy shot headed off the line by Guardado
73rd minute--Phillips shot hits Salcido, then the post
82nd minute--Mexican defender smacks a clearance right into Gomez, and
it just misses flying back into the net.

Fortunately for Mexico, their quarterfinal opponent is Costa Rica, who
have been equally poor.

Panama had two players sent off in the final minutes...suspensions
should benefit the US.

Final Group C standings:

Honduras 6 9-4
Mexico 6 4-3
Panama 4 5-5
Cuba 1 3-9

Quarterfinal pairings in bracket order:

Canada - Guatemala
United States - Panama
Honduras - Guadeloupe
Mexico - Costa Rica


Quote:
> 63' Panama 0-1 Mexico
> [Salcido 60]

> A corner kick is headed on to the back post (by a Panama player, I
> think) where Salcido is unmarked and scores easily.

> Panama had good chances for Perez and Garces earlier in the half.




> > > > HT Panama 0-0 Mexico

> > > > Baloy and Castillo have hit the posts for their respective teams.

> > > Is Medina not playing for Panama in this tournament?

> > He isn't...didn't play in the UNCAF tournament either, I don't think
> > he's played much since Guimaraes took over.

> > >They've held up
> > > reasonably well defensively, but they seem to be lacking a ballhandler
> > > in midfield.

> > I was thinking the same thing.