US CUP: US vs. COLOMBIA

US CUP: US vs. COLOMBIA

Post by German Ospi » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00


I was just wondering, after US-Mexico, what people expect from US-Colombia..
I guess it will be easier to guess after Wednesday's game (Colombia-Mexico).
What do people think of this game? I myself think that is going to be a
great game, but Colombia is going to come out winning.  Thoughts?

--
============================================================================
=  Remember, YOU are an unique, individual person, Just like everyone else =


=      fax: 1.612.683.5599                       German E. Ospina          =
============================================================================

 
 
 

US CUP: US vs. COLOMBIA

Post by Damir Smitlen » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

> I was just wondering, after US-Mexico, what people expect from US-Colombia..
> I guess it will be easier to guess after Wednesday's game (Colombia-Mexico).
> What do people think of this game? I myself think that is going to be a
> great game, but Colombia is going to come out winning.  Thoughts?

I thought Colombia looked pretty poor against Nigeria. If they play like
that again against the US, they'll lose again. Then again, maybe they'll
be planning a little revenge for WC'94.

--
damir smitlener                  |  



 
 
 

US CUP: US vs. COLOMBIA

Post by Dario Hidal » Wed, 21 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I will like to see my national side COLOMBIA winning and playing its soccer on
sunday.  News reports say that the players want to erase the image of last year
defeat and are taking the game very seriously.  They didn't play nice with
Nigeria, but the result proves that it was not neccesary, and, by the way, the
team was put together on Friday to come to the US, after a very though national
league that ended wednesday.  I expect a good game, given the improvement
showed by the US in the last two games.  Anyway, I expect Colombia to win, and
to show it power in Copa America.  We have pretty much the same team than the
one that played in the World Cup (actually the one that qualified for the WC,
given that they only showed good soccer then). This year we have to take every
challange carefully given the big dissapointment in WC.  No big mouth this
year!
--
Dario Hidalgo Guerrero
Civil Engineering - Transportation
The Ohio State University
Columbus, Ohio

 
 
 

US CUP: US vs. COLOMBIA

Post by Joe Willmo » Wed, 21 Jun 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

>I will like to see my national side COLOMBIA winning and playing its
soccer on
>sunday.  News reports say that the players want to erase the image of
last year
>defeat and are taking the game very seriously.  They didn't play nice
with
>Nigeria, but the result proves that it was not neccesary, and, by the
way, the
>team was put together on Friday to come to the US, after a very though
national
>league that ended wednesday.  I expect a good game, given the
improvement
>showed by the US in the last two games.  Anyway, I expect Colombia to
win, and
>to show it power in Copa America.  We have pretty much the same team
than the
>one that played in the World Cup (actually the one that qualified for
the WC,
>given that they only showed good soccer then). This year we have to
take every
>challange carefully given the big dissapointment in WC.  No big mouth
this
>year!
>--
>Dario Hidalgo Guerrero
>Civil Engineering - Transportation
>The Ohio State University
>Columbus, Ohio

Hi Dario,

First, the US side will be incomplete.  They lost Ernie Stewart after
Nigeria.  Claudio Reyna won't be available for Columbia (unsure if
Dooley is affected as well) because of the Budesliga.  And of course,
much of the US side had just recently come together for the first time
as a unit (Lalas played the day before with Padova, many of these folks
have never played for Sampson before, Reyna hasn't played up front since
high school, Keller hasn't been on the roster since "92--in short, every
team in this cup is still coming together, given the recently completed
league seasons around the world).

Second, I certainly expect Columbia to take this one seriously.  But
then, most of the Latin teams do when they come North, they know that
they'll be playing before many of their fans and family.  And while I
want the USA to win, Columbia (as a nation) deserves every good break
they can get--especially with the recent courage shown taking on the
Cali Cartel internally.

Third, if the USA wins, then we shouldn't hear any nonsense from other
people about the Columbians left their best team at home and didn't take
the game seriously.  Your point about the team Columbia brought to the
US Cup is basically the same team that qualified for WC "94 is a good
one that many folks who complain about how other sides left their best
people at home should keep in mind.  A domestic-based team were the
players see each other often and play against each other every weekend
has some cohesion advantages that one based primarily of foreign based
players (Rincon, Asprilla, etc. for Columbia) has a much harder time
achieving.

Given the USA's new found commitment to attach, this has the potential
to be quite a game.

Joe

 
 
 

US CUP: US vs. COLOMBIA

Post by Dario Hidal » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Most of the comments I have heard after the games with Nigeria and Mexico are
very negative for the Colombian team.  Many people is asking renovation, but we
have not been able to find a Leonel, Rincon or Valderrama to replace them.  
Nevertheless, renovation is taking place, at a slower pace than Argentina and
Brasil, that would bring many new faces to Copa America.  Our reason is that we
want to win for the first time this event, and then begin to worry about the
next WC qualifiers.  Given what I have seen I find it hard for out team to be
at the top level this year, although there is a lot of talent and Rene Higuita
is in the goal (a big plus despite some known flunders).  About the sunday
game, I can only say that I expect Colombia to play better than with Mexico
(too much long and high shots to nobody, waiting for mistakes of the defense).
Nevertheless I'm not able to risk my word this time.
--
Dario Hidalgo Guerrero
Civil Engineering - Transportation
The Ohio State University
Columbus, Ohio
 
 
 

US CUP: US vs. COLOMBIA

Post by caval.. » Sun, 25 Jun 1995 04:00:00

    You've almost got the same team. You killed one of your players for
losing. You are a bunch of sick, drug-money crazed fans. I hope we keep
on dumping on you.


Quote:
> I will like to see my national side COLOMBIA winning and playing its soccer on
> sunday.  News reports say that the players want to erase the image of last year
> defeat and are taking the game very seriously.  They didn't play nice with
> Nigeria, but the result proves that it was not neccesary, and, by the way, the
> team was put together on Friday to come to the US, after a very though national
> league that ended wednesday.  I expect a good game, given the improvement
> showed by the US in the last two games.  Anyway, I expect Colombia to win, and
> to show it power in Copa America.  We have pretty much the same team than the
> one that played in the World Cup (actually the one that qualified for the WC,
> given that they only showed good soccer then). This year we have to take every
> challange carefully given the big dissapointment in WC.  No big mouth this
> year!
> --
> Dario Hidalgo Guerrero
> Civil Engineering - Transportation
> The Ohio State University
> Columbus, Ohio

 
 
 

US CUP: US vs. COLOMBIA

Post by German Ospi » Sun, 25 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Just to let everyone know, since most of the people I have seen are mistaken,
Colombia IS NOT playing with the same squad as they had in the world
cup.  Many people are assuming this.  First of all, we don't know if Tino
Asprilla is going to play, and Valencia is not in the squad (anyone know
why?) Also Valenciano is hurt.  This means that the whole front line is
different than the world cup.  Maybe if F. Asprilla plays, then you will
have one forward from the world cup.  The midfield is basically the same
one.  The Defense is totally different.  Apart from the abvious and
tragic reason of Escobar, neither Perea nor Herrera are in the back
field.  Also the goal is no longer defended by Cordova, although many
believe that Higuita is better than Cordova(including myself).  The
reserves have some of the reserves of the world cup(as well as cordova).
In conclusion, there really is only three starters from the world cup on
the starting positions(four if asprilla plays).  Of course, in my own
opinion, this squad is still very strong.  I just want everyone to
realize that this squad if Far from the world cup squad.  I don't know
the specifics(I don't have a list of both the full world cup and the full
US Cup squads) but I know that there are at least 8 new players in this
team and most of the players that are missing were an integral part of
the world cup squad.  In the end though, Colombia will show that they are
more than 22 players ie.  They can replace half of these players and
still be a strong team.  This is why they will win.

============================================================================
=  Remember, YOU are an unique, individual person, Just like everyone else =


=      fax: 1.612.683.5599                       German E. Ospina          =
============================================================================
y

 
 
 

US CUP: US vs. COLOMBIA

Post by Joe Willmo » Mon, 26 Jun 1995 04:00:00

In response to Dario Hidalgo's hopes for a Colombian victory over the

Quote:

>    You've almost got the same team. You killed one of your players for
>losing. You are a bunch of sick, drug-money crazed fans. I hope we keep
>on dumping on you.

> Hello Cavilier,

I'm a fan for the US National team, have seen them play numerous times
and would love to see a victory Sunday.  But your comments are out of
line.  The majority of Colombians were appalled at the death of Andres
Escobar (who, despite a fine career, is now going to be known primarily
for the own goals vs. US and the manner of his death, how sad!).  The
majority of Colombians deplore what has happened in their country and
far too many Colombians have died trying to take on the
narco-trafficantes who have little regard for life.  This sickness has
cost both our countries dearly.  To engage in such vindictive
"cheap-shots" only serves to reduce how others (including soccer fans
who aren't Colombian) see the US.  

Being a fan and rooting passionately for your/our team doesn't have to
include (indeed--shouldn't include) such comments.  Soccer is a great
sport.  But when it is used by the YOBS to justify *** against
other fans, or when it is used by one nation to denigrate another, the
joy and beauty of the game is ***d for more baser purposes.  

I was at RFK and watched the USA shine versus Mexico.  While I'm sure
there were individual incidents, despite the thousands of Mexican fans
in attendance, I didn't see any deplorable conduct or nation bashing by
the Mexicans despite the defeat.  Some of the Colombian fans have left
posts that, while praising their team, have been complimentary of the
US.

I hope for a smashing victory Sunday.  But not because of any personal
or societal traits of Colombia (for if anything, Colombia is probably a
nation that has gotten more than its fair share of bad breaks).  I hope
the USA wins because it plays attractive, smart, cohesive, attacking
soccer.  

Joe

 
 
 

US CUP: US vs. COLOMBIA

Post by Joe Willmo » Mon, 26 Jun 1995 04:00:00


Quote:
Ospina) writes:

>Just to let everyone know, since most of the people I have seen are
mistaken,
>Colombia IS NOT playing with the same squad as they had in the world
>cup.  Many people are assuming this.  First of all, we don't know if
Tino
>Asprilla is going to play, and Valencia is not in the squad (anyone
know
>why?) Also Valenciano is hurt.  This means that the whole front line is
>different than the world cup.  Maybe if F. Asprilla plays, then you
will
>have one forward from the world cup.  The midfield is basically the
same
>one.  The Defense is totally different.  Apart from the abvious and
>tragic reason of Escobar, neither Perea nor Herrera are in the back
>field.  Also the goal is no longer defended by Cordova, although many
>believe that Higuita is better than Cordova(including myself).  The
>reserves have some of the reserves of the world cup(as well as
cordova).
>In conclusion, there really is only three starters from the world cup
on
>the starting positions(four if asprilla plays).  Of course, in my own
>opinion, this squad is still very strong.  I just want everyone to
>realize that this squad if Far from the world cup squad.  I don't know
>the specifics(I don't have a list of both the full world cup and the
full
>US Cup squads) but I know that there are at least 8 new players in this
>team and most of the players that are missing were an integral part of
>the world cup squad.  In the end though, Colombia will show that they
are
>more than 22 players ie.  They can replace half of these players and
>still be a strong team.  This is why they will win.

> Hi German,

We'll see who'll win--has the potential to be an interesting strategic
match.  As for the makeup of the Colombian squad--everyone is spending
too much time whining about how their roster is different from their WC
roster.  Hey--the USA has had significant turnover from their WC squad
(starting with Bora, players like Ramos and Wegerle--who is out for the
game--still recovering from injuries, others like Meola, Clavijo, and
the Salvadoran midfielder--I forget his name--who have retired from
international play).

It is my understanding that the squad that Colombia brought to the US
Cup is close to a duplicate of the squad that qualified for the WC (and
we all know that many countries--the US included, tend to field 1 team
for the qualifing matches and another for the WC when the international
players are released from their club contracts).  The word I've heard is
that Asprilla will start for Colombia.

Finally, this roster is more or less the roster that Colombia will take
to the Copa (ditto with the USA).  So, enough speculation--lets get the
game started.

Joe

- Show quoted text -

 
 
 

US CUP: US vs. COLOMBIA

Post by bori.. » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

:     You've almost got the same team. You killed one of your players for
: losing. You are a bunch of sick, drug-money crazed fans. I hope we keep
: on dumping on you.

Firstly, that was unnecessary.  Secondly, its just plain wrong.  I was at
the game at Rutgers Stadium.  The Colombian fans, as rowdy as they do
get, are respectful and loyal.  While draped in my Star-spangled cloak, I
shook hands and talked with the Colombian supporters in the row below
me.  Although they didn't offer me any of their *** :{, they were
passing out fruit and candy to all the fans around them.  It was one big
party.

To characterize an entire nation based on the actions of one gunman is
one of the most arrogant, ignorant, and stupidest things I've ever seen
posted here.  In the future, make sure your brain is in gear before
inserting your foot so swiftly into your mouth.

                                        Tony Borisow