This post has nothing whatsoever to do with Croatia or Davor Suker. I just
thought it would be a more catchy title than "Romania beats Greece. Whoop-de-
This game, unlike the last Greece match, was not a complete and utter
embarassment. We lacked not only Ilie (may as well have anyway) but also
Hagi. Hagi, if you didn't hear, didn't play. He's not injured or anything,
just "tired." Sort of "You guys go play I'll just chill over here" kind of
thing. I personally think he wanted to be absolved of any blame in Romania's
next pathetic loss. Well, it was pathetic, but, thankfully, not a loss. Here
are a few major points about the match I would like to make:
1. What can I say? Maybe Florentin Petre isn;t completely useless after all.
Who would have thought he would ever score the winning goal in any match? Yay
Florentin! Also, the first goal was also scored by a defender. Ienei should
quit his ***ing about how the defenders are playing; they're actually doing
what our forwards (surprise surprise) are failing to do. yay Romanian
2. I definitely vote Mutu over Stoica. He's grown his hair out and has got
this "Savo Milosevic at Partisan Belgrade" thing going except better because
he has much better teeth. than both Savo AND Alin.
3. I think if Ilie doesn't get his shit together, coach Ienei is going to
vote Mutu over him too, but not for the same reason. (although Mutu is also
cuter than Ilie, but that doesn't say much, really)
4. Did I mention that Romania were sans Ilie for the Holland match? Well I am
mentioning it now. I think a healthy Ilie on the team makes a lot of
difference. Hagi is a genius, to be sure, but Ilie will run at 100% for the
entire 90 minutes. And he doesn't do stupid stuff on the field to get kicked
5. Once again, we Romanians look to the Yugoslavs to feel better about
ourselves. How do you lose to the Hong-Kong-China select XI? Maybe it is time
to bring back Perica Ognjenovic.
6. I was kidding about the Perica comment.
7. As if anyone here aside from me, Ivan and Zhivan even know who the hell
Perica even is anyway. But maybe their coach should look to a different
strategy or something. So should Ienei. This whole "let's emphasize defense"
thing makes teams boring, boring, boring. You have to have an exciting attack
plan too (Romania did with Iordanescu) Witness the Utah Jazz. (OK, so it's
basketball, but it's the same concept)
8. I actually watched an MLS match. Well, part of it. It was disturbing to
see how, when forwards got the ball, they seemed to have no idea what to do
with it, so they'd***up and essentially give the ball to the other team,
who would then proceed to do the same thing. (Maybe DC United and Columbus
are just really bad teams). Also, what wasn't filmed in Blair-witch-o-vision
(for those of you who are not familiar with "the blair witch project," just
picture a game being filmed on what appears to be a hand-held camcorder.),
was filmed using the "view from the nosebleed seats cam", which made me
really dizzy. What really bugs me is that the NBA is starting to adopt this
style, which is not only worse in terms of heights in a basketball arena,
(someone, who could either be Reggie Miller or Rik Smits - and I only know
it's got to be a Pacer because their basket is on that side - just shot a
three pointer) it also increases the dizziness and nausea factor.
9. I eventually ended up watching the qualifying rounds for the world's
strongest man contest. Did any of you know that there is an arm wrestling
circuit? well, at least there is one in Sweden. And they say TV teaches you
10. And why was ESPN 2 showing the national spelling bee? I know people have
broad definitions of what is a "sport" (Witness bass fishing, golf, bowling,
and the "hercules hold") but this is ridiculous. I thought it was funny,
though, how the commentators tried to make it into some showcase of brilliant
young minds and their mad spelling skills, when it is really nothing but a
showcase of brilliant kids who have no social life because their pushy
parents make them stay home and learn to spell completely useless words they
would never need in real life in order to live vicariously through their
achievement. Not much different from the U-17 world championships, really, or
"women's" gymnastics, for that matter.
11. I bet you're starting to notice that these last few points have nothing
to do with the Romania-Greece match. I say, to hell with it, there's not that
much to say anyway. And the dailysoccer.com has not provided me with any
pictures (of Adrian Mutu) from the match which I can download and use on my
13. And why would PSG want Suker anyway? He may very well be a good forward,
but exactly how much has he accomplished since WC '98? Anyone? Anyone?
14. So I lied. But how could I post without mentioning my good friend Davor?
15. Sure you could say the same thing about Adi Ilie, but there aren't any
teams trying to buy him at an inflated price, now, are there?
Sent via Deja.com http://SportToday.org/
Before you buy.