what're the fastest goal you've ever seen?

what're the fastest goal you've ever seen?

Post by ungvich.. » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 04:00:00


the fastest goals i've seen are:
1. england's only goal conceded to san marino in the '94 world cup (10
seconds)
2. that one in the previously-unknown-to-me aussie soccer league (3
seconds)
also i can't name any other national team besides the aussies in the '98
campaign that didn't reach the WC finals despite not losing a match
during the qualifying campaign.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

what're the fastest goal you've ever seen?

Post by Per Samuelsso » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:32:47

Quote:

>also i can't name any other national team besides the aussies in the '98
>campaign that didn't reach the WC finals despite not losing a match
>during the qualifying campaign.

It is not all that uncommon that teams go out from WC qualification without
losing a game. What's uncommon is tha amount of fuzz that Australian fans
has made over it...

After a quick search of the web for results, these are the teams I could
find that has gone out of WC-qualification without losing a single game.

In 1998:  Saint Kitts & Nevis (4 games played, no loss), Solomon Islands (4
games), Angola (10), Australia (8)

In 1994: Tunisia (6), Syria (6)

In 1986: Tanzania (2)

In 1982: Somalia (2)

In 1978: East Germany (6), Morocco (2) (lost on penalty shootoout)

In 1974: Hungary (6), Belgium (6) (with12-0 in goal difference!!), Colombia
(4)

In 1970: Tunisia (by lottery)

 
 
 

what're the fastest goal you've ever seen?

Post by Paul » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 01:07:26

Quote:

> the fastest goals i've seen are:
> 1. england's only goal conceded to san marino in the '94 world cup (10
> seconds)
> 2. that one in the previously-unknown-to-me aussie soccer league (3
> seconds)
> also i can't name any other national team besides the aussies in the '98
> campaign that didn't reach the WC finals despite not losing a match
> during the qualifying campaign.

Last season's English Schools Cup Final (highlights shown on TV).  Goal
in 2 point something seconds - goalkeeper on edge of box was 'lobbed'
from centre circle.

--
Paul
Cup results and league tables to 9th level of English pyramid:
http://www.footballpyramid.co.uk

 
 
 

what're the fastest goal you've ever seen?

Post by Petrovic » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 10:56:42

Krassimir Balakov (Sporting Lisbon) vs. Benfica in 1992 in the Portuguese
League - 12 seconds.

Right after kick-off the lamps lost the ball on a tackle, Balakov gathered
the ball and seeing Benfica's keeper Silvino off his line, put on a
thunderous shot from some 35-40 yards into the net, sending the Alvalade
stadium into sheer delirium. It was also the begining of our first win in 7
years over our heathen rivals.

Petrovich

 
 
 

what're the fastest goal you've ever seen?

Post by Anthony Hodge » Tue, 31 Oct 2000 07:58:26

Quote:
> >also i can't name any other national team besides the aussies in the '98
> >campaign that didn't reach the WC finals despite not losing a match
> >during the qualifying campaign.

> It is not all that uncommon that teams go out from WC qualification
without
> losing a game. What's uncommon is tha amount of fuzz that Australian fans
> has made over it...

Iran had three chances to qualify.  A WC group, a 3v4 playoff and playoff
1st Oceania.  Guess how many chances the Aussies get, one home and away
game!  Take nothing away from Iran, they took their chances and we didn't
shut the game out.

But it is bit cruel don't you think.  USA '94 we had to play 4th best team
in Sth America, it just happened to be Argentina (h. 1-1, a. 1-0).

God help us if Brazil comes fifth in Sth America, although with way things
are going over there, they just may take a bribe or two on the way to ensure
that happens.

 
 
 

what're the fastest goal you've ever seen?

Post by Huw Morri » Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:23:07

Quote:

> Iran had three chances to qualify.  A WC group, a 3v4 playoff and playoff
> 1st Oceania.  Guess how many chances the Aussies get, one home and away
> game!  Take nothing away from Iran, they took their chances and we didn't
> shut the game out.

A home and away series against the likes of Iran is far easier than what
any team in UEFA has to go through to qualify. Australia might be better
off in the AFC, but really, if you haven't made the world cup yet, it's
you're own fault.

Huw

 
 
 

what're the fastest goal you've ever seen?

Post by Neil Dunst » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 08:49:44

: A home and away series against the likes of Iran is far easier than what
: any team in UEFA has to go through to qualify. Australia might be better
: off in the AFC, but really, if you haven't made the world cup yet, it's
: you're own fault.

No it was Vegetable's fault.

 
 
 

what're the fastest goal you've ever seen?

Post by Colin Morri » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 12:47:05


Quote:

> : A home and away series against the likes of Iran is far easier than what
> : any team in UEFA has to go through to qualify. Australia might be better
> : off in the AFC, but really, if you haven't made the world cup yet, it's
> : you're own fault.

> No it was Vegetable's fault.

Who appointed him?
 
 
 

what're the fastest goal you've ever seen?

Post by Neil Dunst » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 07:18:14

:



: > : A home and away series against the likes of Iran is far easier than what
: > : any team in UEFA has to go through to qualify. Australia might be better
: > : off in the AFC, but really, if you haven't made the world cup yet, it's
: > : you're own fault.
: >
: > No it was Vegetable's fault.
: >
: Who appointed him?

Point taken.