UEFA Ex-Co selects CL and UEFA Cup final venues for 2005

UEFA Ex-Co selects CL and UEFA Cup final venues for 2005

Post by Jouni Honkal » Fri, 06 Feb 2004 23:29:20


During its first meeting of 2004, the UEFA Executive Committee has chosen
the venues for the 2005 club competition finals.

The Champions League final will be taken to the Atatrk Olympic Stadium in
Istanbul. The stadium holds 80,000 spectators and will be hosting a UEFA
competition final for the first time.

Meanwhile, the UEFA Cup final has been awarded to Portugal. The venue for
the Euro 2004 final match, Jose Alvalade Stadium in Lisbon, will now host
two final matches in the near future. The owners of the British candidate
venues, St James' Park in Newcastle, Sunderland's Stadium of Light and
Hampden Park, have according to the BBC given their congratulations to
their Portuguese counterparts, also saying they are not bitter about the
decision made by UEFA.

But why, not knowing obviously what the other considered candidates have
been, do I get the feeling that UEFA might be trying to make up to the
Turkish football what they did by moving those two matches last Autumn to
Germany? I'm sure that given the necessary effort, it could very well be
possible to host an excellent match event in Turkey or anywhere else in
the world.

Hmm. I wonder what effects would a last-minute terrorist
threat have this time around?

- Jouni

 
 
 

UEFA Ex-Co selects CL and UEFA Cup final venues for 2005

Post by Real Mard » Sat, 07 Feb 2004 05:19:50

Quote:

> During its first meeting of 2004, the UEFA Executive Committee has chosen
> the venues for the 2005 club competition finals.

> The Champions League final will be taken to the Atatrk Olympic Stadium in
> Istanbul. The stadium holds 80,000 spectators and will be hosting a UEFA
> competition final for the first time.

> But why, not knowing obviously what the other considered candidates have
> been, do I get the feeling that UEFA might be trying to make up to the
> Turkish football what they did by moving those two matches last Autumn to
> Germany?

Not at all, Jouni. The awarding of the 2005 Champions League Final to
Istanbul has been on the cards for around a year now, way before the
recent bomb blasts and UEFA's decision to temporarily ban Turkish
teams from playing their home European games in Turkey. In fact, the
Turks were so sure that they would be awarded the final that at the
start of this season Galatasaray's chairman promised the fans that
they would watch their team compete in the 2005 Champions League final
in the Olympic Stadium. The 2005 Champions League Final has been seen
by the Turkish media as "in the bag" for some time now.

The thing is, and let me be the first to admit this - the Ataturk
Olympic Stadium is an absolutely terrible venue, in terms of
accessability, atmosphere, comfort and safety outside the stadium. I
don't have time to go into the details in this post but you can find a
more detailed commentary on the nightmare that is the Ataturk Olympic
Stadium in my recent post entitled "Galatasaray Unhappy with Olympic
Stadium". I believe Alessandro Riolo has also commented on the
problems with the Olympic stadium in the past.

Quote:
> Hmm. I wonder what effects would a last-minute terrorist
> threat have this time around?

First of all, let's hope that doesn't happen. If it did, I imagine the
match would be postponed and switched to an alternative venue.
However, in even asking the question you are imlying that a large
scale terror attack is more likely to take place in Turkey than in any
other part of Europe. In this day and age of suicide bombers and
portable chemical weaponary, is this really a valid implication to
make?

 
 
 

UEFA Ex-Co selects CL and UEFA Cup final venues for 2005

Post by Peter Phun » Sat, 07 Feb 2004 07:41:33



Quote:
> > During its first meeting of 2004, the UEFA Executive Committee has
chosen
> > the venues for the 2005 club competition finals.

> > The Champions League final will be taken to the Atatrk Olympic Stadium
in
> > Istanbul. The stadium holds 80,000 spectators and will be hosting a UEFA
> > competition final for the first time.

> > But why, not knowing obviously what the other considered candidates have
> > been, do I get the feeling that UEFA might be trying to make up to the
> > Turkish football what they did by moving those two matches last Autumn
to
> > Germany?

> Not at all, Jouni. The awarding of the 2005 Champions League Final to
> Istanbul has been on the cards for around a year now, way before the
> recent bomb blasts and UEFA's decision to temporarily ban Turkish
> teams from playing their home European games in Turkey. In fact, the
> Turks were so sure that they would be awarded the final that at the
> start of this season Galatasaray's chairman promised the fans that
> they would watch their team compete in the 2005 Champions League final
> in the Olympic Stadium. The 2005 Champions League Final has been seen
> by the Turkish media as "in the bag" for some time now.

> The thing is, and let me be the first to admit this - the Ataturk
> Olympic Stadium is an absolutely terrible venue, in terms of
> accessability, atmosphere, comfort and safety outside the stadium. I
> don't have time to go into the details in this post but you can find a
> more detailed commentary on the nightmare that is the Ataturk Olympic
> Stadium in my recent post entitled "Galatasaray Unhappy with Olympic
> Stadium". I believe Alessandro Riolo has also commented on the
> problems with the Olympic stadium in the past.

Do you see the Turkish FA improving the stadium and its surroundings prior
to the match?
With all the revenue they'll be getting, one would think they would take
these steps.

Quote:

> > Hmm. I wonder what effects would a last-minute terrorist
> > threat have this time around?

> First of all, let's hope that doesn't happen. If it did, I imagine the
> match would be postponed and switched to an alternative venue.
> However, in even asking the question you are imlying that a large
> scale terror attack is more likely to take place in Turkey than in any
> other part of Europe. In this day and age of suicide bombers and
> portable chemical weaponary, is this really a valid implication to
> make?

I believe Turkish fans have longed for such a big match in their country
that they would embrace such an event. I think the match itself will go off
without a hitch. Unfortunately, another terrorist event from now until then
might cause UEFA to reconsider. Let's all hope this never occurs.

Peter

 
 
 

UEFA Ex-Co selects CL and UEFA Cup final venues for 2005

Post by Jouni Honkal » Sun, 08 Feb 2004 04:29:23


Quote:
> Not at all, Jouni. The awarding of the 2005 Champions League Final to
> Istanbul has been on the cards for around a year now, way before the
> recent bomb blasts and UEFA's decision to temporarily ban Turkish
> teams from playing their home European games in Turkey. In fact, the
> Turks were so sure that they would be awarded the final that at the
> start of this season Galatasaray's chairman promised the fans that
> they would watch their team compete in the 2005 Champions League final
> in the Olympic Stadium. The 2005 Champions League Final has been seen
> by the Turkish media as "in the bag" for some time now.

Ok. As I implied, I didn't know anything about the bidding process behind
the selection.

Quote:
> First of all, let's hope that doesn't happen. If it did, I imagine the
> match would be postponed and switched to an alternative venue.
> However, in even asking the question you are imlying that a large
> scale terror attack is more likely to take place in Turkey than in any
> other part of Europe. In this day and age of suicide bombers and
> portable chemical weaponary, is this really a valid implication to
> make?

Did I imply that? I was just pondering about the threshold where UEFA
would disappoint the Turks again. Sorry if I made you feel bad.

- Jouni

 
 
 

UEFA Ex-Co selects CL and UEFA Cup final venues for 2005

Post by Real Mard » Sun, 08 Feb 2004 20:18:39

Quote:

> Did I imply that? I was just pondering about the threshold where UEFA
> would disappoint the Turks again. Sorry if I made you feel bad.

Ok, understood. One thing is for sure - whatever happens in the
future, I guess this decision means Juventus won't be competing in the
2005 Champions League Final...
 
 
 

UEFA Ex-Co selects CL and UEFA Cup final venues for 2005

Post by Real Mard » Sun, 08 Feb 2004 20:35:17

Quote:

> Do you see the Turkish FA improving the stadium and its surroundings prior
> to the match?
> With all the revenue they'll be getting, one would think they would take
> these steps.

There is talk of putting up a "wind shield" to reduce the amount of
wind in the stadium (no jokes about curries and baked beans,
please)....

The security outside the ground for Galatasaray's Champions League
games this season was absolutely abysmal, the sort of lawlessness you
would normally expect to find in a pirate state, not a civilised
country. It will take *a lot* of work to clear things up. It might be
an idea if the Turkish authorities simply adopt the kind of ultra
paranoid stance over security the took for the Turkey - England Euro
2004 qualifier back in October....

Quote:
> I believe Turkish fans have longed for such a big match in their country
> that they would embrace such an event. I think the match itself will go off
> without a hitch. Unfortunately, another terrorist event from now until then
> might cause UEFA to reconsider. Let's all hope this never occurs.

I'm still not comfortable with the way people are suggesting that such
an attack is more likely in Turkey than anywhere else in Europe.
Turkey did suffer two back to back terrorist attacks last year, but it
is important to remember that the attacks were not actually against
Turkish interests. The first attack was against Jewish interests and
the second was against British interests. Such an attack could happen
in any country in the World with significant Jewish or British
communities or businesses.

A further point - Russia has suffered from a pretty bad terrorist
problem over the last few years but that didn't stop them from hosting
a trouble free UEFA Cup Final a few years ago.