Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by Thomas Hoeg-Jense » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00


I feel sorry for the Swedish team, the loss today was unlucky.
However, I wonder why they did not play with that tactic before now.
Players like Larsson, Ljungberg, Ozmanocski (?) and Petterson look best with
the ball in their feets.
Nevertheless, in the first two games, it looked as if the Swedes only
believed in Kennet Andersson as a target.
I don't get it.

Thomas Hoeg-Jensen, Denmark

 
 
 

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by Thomas Hoeg-Jense » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Quote:

> >Players like Larsson, Ljungberg, Ozmanocski (?) and Petterson look best
with
> >the ball in their feets.

> Even Kenneth Andersson used his feet when he entered the scene. Perfect
> flip to Larsson. Larsson was in line with the defenseman to his far right,
> so no offside, but what about Italy's 2-1? I can't tell really. I was to
> disappointed to think clearly... What do you guys think?

Yes, 2-1 looked off-side, but we never got a replay of the situation, so I
am not sure.
Maybe it was a contra, meaning the ball came from a Swede?
Still, I think Sweden lost this tournamnet to overly defensiv and
long-balling tactic in the first games.

Thomas

 
 
 

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by R » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Well, you should remember that Sweden really faced an Italian B-
side (8 new players) with little or no interest in the game
while Sweden had to win to have any chance to get through. So it
would've been very strange if Sweden didn't dominate the game.
I think the main reason why Sweden didn't qualify for the
quarters was the lack of a quality goal-scorer. At least a
quality goal-scorer 100% fir for fight. Henke Larsson is an
exceptional player at his best, but to me he showed obvious
signs of not having played competetive games in a while which
was only to be expected. Ljungberg didn't seem to be able to
score no matter what. He had great chances in all 3 games, and
should have been able to score on at least on of them. In my
opinion it was Kennet Andersson who was Sweden's main danger-
man, so I don't think it's strange to play to his strenghts. It
was certainly a boost for Sweden in today's game when he entered
the game.
So after coming into the tournament with many injuries and a bit
unsure of themself Sweden starts off with unconvincingly against
Belgium. I personnaly didn't think they stunk so bad as the
swedish press said. This creates a bit of unrest/turmoil in the
group, the players are given more of a say in the choice of a
strategy and gameplan against Turkey. From the game it didn't
appear that they all agreed on the same strategy, as they played
downright awful. This is where Sweden lost it's place in the
quarters, unfortunatly.
I'm sure you'll bounce back quickly though.

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

 
 
 

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by Per Samuelsso » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>Well, you should remember that Sweden really faced an Italian B-
>side (8 new players) with little or no interest in the game
>while Sweden had to win to have any chance to get through.

The problem for countries like Sweden is that while countries like Italy can
afford to rest a number of top players they have enough depth in their
squads to cope with that, while injuries on players from smaller countries
(as in Sweden's case) can be absolutely devastating.

It was quite clear that the Swedes were much more motivated for this game
than the Italians, but I woulldn't have expected us to have that much
pressure on the Italians. I the 1st half we had 66% ball possession - those
are figures that you usually only see when countries like San Marino are
involved. OTOH you need to have to have people who can score as well in a
team, and the Italians were about a magnitude of 100 more efficient...

Was there anybody else that were laughing as hard as me when Di Livio showed
his extreme lack of diving skills? Apart from that I thought the game was a
very fair one.

Good luck to Italy in the final rounds!

 
 
 

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by john Ros » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Scotland had that problem when we had duncan ferguson up front. Tere's
something about having a tall striker that seems to make players want to
kick the ball into the clouds.
        John
Quote:

> I feel sorry for the Swedish team, the loss today was unlucky.
> However, I wonder why they did not play with that tactic before now.
> Players like Larsson, Ljungberg, Ozmanocski (?) and Petterson look best with
> the ball in their feets.
> Nevertheless, in the first two games, it looked as if the Swedes only
> believed in Kennet Andersson as a target.
> I don't get it.

> Thomas Hoeg-Jensen, Denmark

 
 
 

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by FH » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00



Quote:


> >Well, you should remember that Sweden really faced an Italian B-
> >side (8 new players) with little or no interest in the game
> >while Sweden had to win to have any chance to get through.

> The problem for countries like Sweden is that while countries like Italy
can
> afford to rest a number of top players they have enough depth in their
> squads to cope with that, while injuries on players from smaller countries
> (as in Sweden's case) can be absolutely devastating.

Not realy true since several swedish players could have been put in to the
team when the injuries happened, Ingesson and Zetterberg for example. The
only player that was a real loss not ta have in the cup was Scwarz, the
other players like K?mark is easely changed with other players like
Gustafsson.
And to use players that has been injured for a long time instead of players
that has been fitt like Yksel, allb?ck and Svensson is for me a real *** up
from the swedish coaches.

/Fred

 
 
 

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by Magnus Homan » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> Well, you should remember that Sweden really faced an Italian B-
> side (8 new players) with little or no interest in the game
> while Sweden had to win to have any chance to get through. So it
> would've been very strange if Sweden didn't dominate the game.

I agree, but when Sweden finally scored, Itlay had their regular
defense line, and "only" 5 new players were on... :-)

Quote:
> I think the main reason why Sweden didn't qualify for the
> quarters was the lack of a quality goal-scorer.

Or any goal scorer at all. Same problem as usual. Us Swede had some
hope when Larsson showed good form last year. K Andersson seldom
scores anymore.

I wonder if we can play the same way in the WC-qual?  Already looking
forward to Azerbadjan(sp?)

Homann
--
Magnus Homann, M.Sc. CS & E

 
 
 

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by Henning Tve » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Quote:

>Well, you should remember that Sweden really faced an Italian B-
>side (8 new players) with little or no interest in the game
>while Sweden had to win to have any chance to get through.

 I guess that being able to call a side with Del Piero, Montella,
 Iuliano, Ferrara and so on a "b-side" says something about
 the italian depth...
--
Henning
 
 
 

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by Anders Thelemy » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>I guess that being able to call a side with Del Piero, Montella,
>Iuliano, Ferrara and so on a "b-side" says something about
>the italian depth...

Well, in the play they sure looked like a B-side.

61%-39% to Sweden in possession
12-5 to Sweden in scoring chances
12-3 to Sweden in corners


 
 
 

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by Magnus Homan » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:



> >Well, in the play they sure looked like a B-side.

> >61%-39% to Sweden in possession
> >12-5 to Sweden in scoring chances
> >12-3 to Sweden in corners

> 2-1 to Italy in goals... Maybe Italy can give us some of their B-side
> strikers?

Or even a just a tiny C-side stirker. By God, that would have been an
improvement!

Homann
--
Magnus Homann, M.Sc. CS & E

 
 
 

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by Per Samuelsso » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
>Well, in the play they sure looked like a B-side.

>61%-39% to Sweden in possession
>12-5 to Sweden in scoring chances
>12-3 to Sweden in corners

2-1 to Italy in goals... Maybe Italy can give us some of their B-side
strikers?
 
 
 

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by Anders Thelemy » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>Per Samuelsson writes:
>>Anders Thelemyr wrote
>>>Well, in the play they sure looked like a B-side.
>>>61%-39% to Sweden in possession
>>>12-5 to Sweden in scoring chances
>>>12-3 to Sweden in corners
>>2-1 to Italy in goals... Maybe Italy can give us some
>>of their B-side strikers?
>Or even a just a tiny C-side stirker. By God, that
>would have been an improvement!

Come on, guys. You know ***y well that Italy
had enough luck in that game to probably make
sure they won't have any more in the Quarters...

Besides, their 2-1 goal was a gift from Daniel
Andersson and also /possibly/ an offside goal.


 
 
 

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by Mrv » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Oh  quit whining.  They lost.  End of conversation.
Quote:


> >Per Samuelsson writes:
> >>Anders Thelemyr wrote

> >>>Well, in the play they sure looked like a B-side.
> >>>61%-39% to Sweden in possession
> >>>12-5 to Sweden in scoring chances
> >>>12-3 to Sweden in corners

> >>2-1 to Italy in goals... Maybe Italy can give us some
> >>of their B-side strikers?

> >Or even a just a tiny C-side stirker. By God, that
> >would have been an improvement!

> Come on, guys. You know ***y well that Italy
> had enough luck in that game to probably make
> sure they won't have any more in the Quarters...

> Besides, their 2-1 goal was a gift from Daniel
> Andersson and also /possibly/ an offside goal.

> --


 
 
 

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by Benn » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
> Subject : Why didn't Sweden play before now?

>Come on, guys. You know ***y well that Italy
>had enough luck in that game to probably make
>sure they won't have any more in the Quarters...

I wouldn't call it luck. They have one of the best 'keepers in the
World.

Quote:
>Besides, their 2-1 goal was a gift from Daniel
>Andersson and also /possibly/ an offside goal.

Ambrosini pressed Andersson into making the mistake.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

  "You can change your wives but you can never change your football team"
                              Italian Proverb

                         http://SportToday.org/

 
 
 

Why didn't Sweden play before now?

Post by Anders Thelemy » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>Ambrosini pressed Andersson into making the mistake.

Of course, Benny, but Andersson put himself in that
situation, like Nilsson against Belgium. They should
both have dumped the ball without delay.

Two individual mistakes that helped see Sweden out of
the tourney.