Highest cumulative attendance for a two-legged fixture?

Highest cumulative attendance for a two-legged fixture?

Post by sheridanell.. » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 14:16:53


An obscure query, I know, but I had reason to reflect on the memorable
Iran vs. Australia World Cup play-off in 1997 and got to wondering if
the cumulative attendance for this fixture (216,000 by my reckoning)
was a record for such a tie. I presume the Milan-Inter and Barcelona-
Real Champions League semis of the early 2000s weighed in at around
170,000 apiece? Any other competitors I'm overlooking? Surely there
must be a contender from South America?
 
 
 

Highest cumulative attendance for a two-legged fixture?

Post by Mark V » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 14:34:37


Quote:
> An obscure query, I know, but I had reason to reflect on the memorable
> Iran vs. Australia World Cup play-off in 1997 and got to wondering if
> the cumulative attendance for this fixture (216,000 by my reckoning)
> was a record for such a tie. I presume the Milan-Inter and Barcelona-
> Real Champions League semis of the early 2000s weighed in at around
> 170,000 apiece? Any other competitors I'm overlooking? Surely there
> must be a contender from South America?

Would home-and-aways during tournament qualifying rounds (WC or Euro)
count?

 
 
 

Highest cumulative attendance for a two-legged fixture?

Post by Sheridan Ellio » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:19:44


Quote:
> Would home-and-aways during tournament qualifying rounds (WC or Euro)
> count?

Nah. Distinct, stand-alone fixtures only. Otherwise we'd have to
include home-and-away league fixtures between clubs.

 
 
 

Highest cumulative attendance for a two-legged fixture?

Post by Bruce Scott TO » Sun, 24 Jun 2007 03:29:52

Quote:


>> Would home-and-aways during tournament qualifying rounds (WC or Euro)
>> count?

>Nah. Distinct, stand-alone fixtures only. Otherwise we'd have to
>include home-and-away league fixtures between clubs.

.in which case the Rangers/Celtic derby would surely win!

--
ciao,
Bruce

drift wave turbulence:  http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~bds/

 
 
 

Highest cumulative attendance for a two-legged fixture?

Post by RED DEVI » Sun, 24 Jun 2007 03:34:20

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 20:29:52 +0200 (MEST), Bruce Scott TOK

Quote:



>>> Would home-and-aways during tournament qualifying rounds (WC or Euro)
>>> count?

>>Nah. Distinct, stand-alone fixtures only. Otherwise we'd have to
>>include home-and-away league fixtures between clubs.

>.in which case the Rangers/Celtic derby would surely win!

Yes no one else would come close, they got 118,000 for one match!

RED DEVIL

Champions!

 
 
 

Highest cumulative attendance for a two-legged fixture?

Post by Futbolmetri » Sun, 24 Jun 2007 07:51:33


Quote:

> Yes no one else would come close, they got 118,000 for one match!

100K+ was not such an uncommon occurrence before stadiums became
all-seaters. Were there any Barca-Rangers European Cup ties in the 60s or
70s?

Daniele

 
 
 

Highest cumulative attendance for a two-legged fixture?

Post by Paul » Sun, 24 Jun 2007 08:17:05

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 00:51:33 +0200, "Futbolmetrix"

Quote:



>> Yes no one else would come close, they got 118,000 for one match!

>100K+ was not such an uncommon occurrence before stadiums became
>all-seaters. Were there any Barca-Rangers European Cup ties in the 60s or
>70s?

>Daniele

Celtic v Leeds in 1970 had 136,505 and 45,505