England U21 - Netherlands U21 [R]

England U21 - Netherlands U21 [R]

Post by kenhig.. » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:56:20




Quote:
> Impressive I will say no, good at this level sure but Pierce screwed at the
> end, you are 1-0 up with 3 minutes to go, you do not take your most
> dangerous attacker Lita and substituted him for Ferdinand, not Ferdinand's
> fault but 60 seconds later Taylor twist his ankle lays down the Dutch do not
> stop play, he stands and skips in one leg and the Dutch take advantage and
> score. The point being that after Lita went out the Dutch threw caution to
> the wind and attack in masse because they knew there was no one in the
> England attack that could worry about.

> In another note the Dutch also did show very poor sportsmanship,
> unfortunately this is not the first time either.

Well,
that's one spin.

But Pearce couldn't have known that Taylor would get injured.
And as you say, there were only 3 mins to go.
Given that it was a knockout tournament, the Dutch had nothing to lose
by all out attack; they'd have done that regardless of whether England
had their most potent attacker on the field or not. Their prime
concern was not England scoring again, but them getting one back
themselves.
Some might say the correct move is to bring on an extra defender.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Higgs

 
 
 

England U21 - Netherlands U21 [R]

Post by Miguel Sarmient » Sun, 24 Jun 2007 06:00:44

Indeed it is but the two announcers on ESPN Deportes (a couple of
Argentinean guys I believe) were also incredulous when they saw it was
Lita's number shown for the substitution. They even made the comment "Pierce
is taking the only guy in England that can play all by himself out front
because of his pace and strength".

Everyone knew the Dutch were going to go all out to equalize the difference
is how do you whistand it? With only two defenders I think I would have
liked Lita's chances.


Quote:


>> Impressive I will say no, good at this level sure but Pierce screwed at
>> the
>> end, you are 1-0 up with 3 minutes to go, you do not take your most
>> dangerous attacker Lita and substituted him for Ferdinand, not
>> Ferdinand's
>> fault but 60 seconds later Taylor twist his ankle lays down the Dutch do
>> not
>> stop play, he stands and skips in one leg and the Dutch take advantage
>> and
>> score. The point being that after Lita went out the Dutch threw caution
>> to
>> the wind and attack in masse because they knew there was no one in the
>> England attack that could worry about.

>> In another note the Dutch also did show very poor sportsmanship,
>> unfortunately this is not the first time either.

> Well,
> that's one spin.

> But Pearce couldn't have known that Taylor would get injured.
> And as you say, there were only 3 mins to go.
> Given that it was a knockout tournament, the Dutch had nothing to lose
> by all out attack; they'd have done that regardless of whether England
> had their most potent attacker on the field or not. Their prime
> concern was not England scoring again, but them getting one back
> themselves.
> Some might say the correct move is to bring on an extra defender.

> Hindsight is a wonderful thing

> Higgs


 
 
 

England U21 - Netherlands U21 [R]

Post by Miguel Sarmient » Sun, 24 Jun 2007 06:19:15

Well in international competition there is no such rule, the ref can stop
the play if he deems the injury serious enough because of this there is an
unofficial agreement in which a player for either team will put the ball out
of play without waiting for the ref to stop play.

Taylor was on the ground for at least 45 seconds before realizing play had
not stop so in a foolish decision he stood up he should had remained down.

Later during the penalty shootout England only used 10 players because the
other central defender was injured and could not take penalties. The Dutch
coach could have been gracious and said nothing if Taylor did not take the
penalty but instead he protested and force him to do so, he scored even
thought he could hardly walk but in my opinion it shows a win at any cost
attitude that has no place in the Under-21, Under-20 or Under-17 for that
matter.

And my point about the Dutch is that they did something similar during the
world cup. Against Portugal late in the game when the Dutch were trying to
equalize, the Portuguese put the ball out of bounds because a player was
down (do not remember if it was Portuguese or Dutch),  when play resumed the
Dutch rather than give the ball back put the ball in play and proceeded to
keep it and go on the attack, Deco got upset and tackle the Dutch player
with the bal and pull him down, he already had a yellow and got a red card.


Quote:
> ----- Original Message -----

> Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
> Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:54 PM
> Subject: Re: England U21 - Netherlands U21 [R]

>> In another note the Dutch also did show very poor sportsmanship,
>> unfortunately this is not the first time either.

> The ruling in the EPL now was that the Ref had to stop play, no more
> putting
> it out for a throw. Don't know if this is used on the Euro stage.

> Either way though, Taylor should have gone off the pitch instead of
> hopping
> round like an idiot. Nice sentiment, but he allowed the dutch strikers to
> stay up the pitch while his fellow defenders pushed out. All of a sudden,
> we
> are on the back foot for the cross.

> The rest..........a 35 penalty shootout history!


 
 
 

England U21 - Netherlands U21 [R]

Post by Jesper Lauridse » Tue, 26 Jun 2007 05:17:59


Quote:

> The two penalty shooting giants are going head to head.

Stoppable force meets movable object.