Barnet vs Woking

Barnet vs Woking

Post by Ian Pletche » Mon, 13 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Barnet vs Woking      F.A.Cup 1st Round        Sat 11th Nov 1995

Both teams played their part in an incident packed match which very nearly
matched the 4-4 draw between the teams in the same round last year. As last
year Woking established a commanding lead only for Barnet to claw their way
back into the game.

The big difference this year was that the teams appeared well matched
through out the match where as last year Woking ripped Barnet apart in the
first 45 minutes only to suffer a similar fate themselves in the second 45
minutes. This time round the teams were always closely matched with clear cut
chances at a premium. The game swung from end to end all game long although the
stupidity of two players who got sent off could quite easily have cost Barnet
the game leaving them to cling on for a replay in the last five minutes.

Woking could not have had a better start Darren Hay rising unchallenged at the
far post to head firmly past Taylor in goal. This early goal clearly gave
Woking a lift but Barnet dug in and the game became extremely competitive with
the midfields becoming very cluttered. Barnet managed to win several corners
from which Barnet threatened the Woking goal without ever creating a really
good chance. Then with 20 minutes gone McDonald and Pardew made a real mess of
a long clearence edge of the Barnet penalty area and Scott Steele escaped to
fire a low shot past Taylor from 15 yards.

This goal really rocked Barnet back on their heels and for a while Woking were
looking extremely threatening and Taylor did well to stop a low cross shot from
Steele. Slowly the Woking threat receded and Barnet slowly began to threaten
once more Cooper heading over the bar after a fine Mills cross. Most of
Barnet's pressure was coming down the left flank from Mills and the over
lapping Jamie Campbell, but the crosses were highly variable in quality. Just
as it looked as though Barnet were going to go in for the half time break two
behind they suddenly pulled a goal back. Sean Gale curled in a corner, Mark
Cooper got above Batty in the Woking goal and his header fell loose in the six
yard box for Linvoy Primus to force home from three yards.

Woking must have been hoping for the half time whistle to give them a break
but  there was just enough injury time for Barnet to mount one more attack.
Scott sent Campbell away on the left and the fullback curled in a fine cross
which was met by an excellent header from Devine to steer the ball into the top
corner, giving Batty no chance. This was a brave come back by Barnet
considering that two minutes before the break they were two down.

The shape of the second half was dramartically altered by the sending off of
Barnet full back Jamie Campbell after 47 minutes. Andy Ellis appeared to strike
Campbell who responded by shoving the Woking man. The referee missed the
incident but the linesman didn't and Campbell was quite rightly shown a yellow
card, his second of the game. I can't argue with the referee as the sending off
was a result of poor discipline on the part of the Barnet player, but I was
very suprised that Ellis escaped any action from the match officials.

Predictably Woking had the better of the possesion after the sending off but
they created few chances as the remaining Barnet defenders produced an
excellent defensive performance. David McDonald in particular was outstanding
in his covering. Taylor was called on to make a couple of good saves, doing
particularly well to hold a Thompson header.

Barnet were forced to play on the break and never created more than a half
chance although Peter Scott did go close late on when he turned his man
superbly on the edge of the box and let fly with a fierce shot which only went
inches wide.

Barnet were left clinging on in the last five minutes after Peter Scott
received a red card. I thought he was dismissed for pushing an arm in the face
of Thompson but according to the paper he was dismissed for comments to the
referee. In either case a player of his experience should have known better and
the referee cannot be criticised for the sending off.

Woking had a real go at winning the game in those last five minutes, but Barnet
managed to hang on for a replay at Kingsfield on Tuesday week. This will be a
very difficult game for Barnet to win as Woking have a 100% home record to date
and Barnet lost the replay there last season.

Two players stood out for Barnet in this game, Linvoy Primus and David McDonald
were both excellent although McDonald was partially to blame for both Woking
goals. I would like to congratulate Linvoy Primus on his first senior goal
which is well deserved as he has been very unlucky not to open his account on a
number of previous occasions being the victim of a number of fine saves over
the past year. Linvoy Primus has been the most consistent performer in the
Barnet side over the past season and a half and really deserved the goal.

Barnet : Taylor, Gale, Campbell, Pardew, Primus, DcDonald (Dyer), Mills
(Hodges), Scott, Cooper, Devine (Tomlinson), Wilson.
They say the king is watching his back again
They say the king is losing his grip again
Raging like a bull to an empty ring
D'you think they will forgive a hero anything ?   Gazpacho, Afraid of Sunlight
Ian P.