FIFA Club World Championship Toyota Cup Japan 2005 - a request for fans of the competing clubs

FIFA Club World Championship Toyota Cup Japan 2005 - a request for fans of the competing clubs

Post by steve » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:35:29


Are there any fans of the following clubs on rss?

S?o Paulo FC (Brazil)
Sydney FC (Australia)
Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rica)
Al Ahly (Egypt)
Al Ittihad (Saudi Arabia)

I'm looking for some fans to answer questions about their club and
FIFA's competition for a Liverpool fanzine/website. We have a feature
where we ask the opposition fans about their team, their fans and the
club and its history before every match.

Here's the Real Betis one we did recently as an example:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/article.php?id=1524915

If there's anyone who can help reply here or email me via the address
at the top of this message.

thanks,
steve d

 
 
 

FIFA Club World Championship Toyota Cup Japan 2005 - a request for fans of the competing clubs

Post by James Allnut » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:46:29

Quote:

> Sydney FC (Australia)
> history

Sort of mutually exclusive concepts here - Sydney qualified for the CWC
before it actually played its first league match.

James

--
The noise the gates, distortion phase. Count compression, short delay.
Amen, cries a sound descending.

 
 
 

FIFA Club World Championship Toyota Cup Japan 2005 - a request for fans of the competing clubs

Post by steve » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:57:13

Quote:


> > Sydney FC (Australia)

> > history

> Sort of mutually exclusive concepts here - Sydney qualified for the CWC
> before it actually played its first league match.

> James

was aware of that James - was hoping for a bit of background on where
the fans came from - whether it was a mix of Sydney United and Sydney
Olympic from the old National Soccer League etc

steve d

 
 
 

FIFA Club World Championship Toyota Cup Japan 2005 - a request for fans of the competing clubs

Post by Mang » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:41:35


Quote:



>> > Sydney FC (Australia)

>> > history

>> Sort of mutually exclusive concepts here - Sydney qualified for the CWC
>> before it actually played its first league match.

>> James

> was aware of that James - was hoping for a bit of background on where
> the fans came from - whether it was a mix of Sydney United and Sydney
> Olympic from the old National Soccer League etc

Sydney FC was formed in 2004 to compete in the A League that has now
commenced in 2005.  It was a brand new club, although it wears colors
similar to a club that ran around a few years ago called Sydney City.  The
supporters of Sydney City are drawn from the entire greater Sydney area
(including a few I know from near by Wollongong) and come from many of the
former national league clubs.  Most of the old national league clubs grew
out of ethnically based clubs but whilst these ethnically based clubs had
provided the backbone of Australian soccer during the 60's and seventies,
most of them failed to attract a wider fan base and as a result many soccer
fans were effectively disenfranchised.  SYdney has been careful to try to
attract a wider range of supporters, and as the only Sydney based side has
managed to get off to a good start in this.

Playing wise Sydney were advantaged by getting a good playing roster
together quite early which allowed them to qualify for the OFC club
championships through a special pre season tournament arranged only so
Australia could get a team there.  Sydney won that tournament (a knockout
format) and then went on to win the OFC Championship to qualify for Japan.
They are currently in equal second spot in the A League, 5 points adrift of
Adelaide.  The side is coached by former German international Pierre
Littbarski and has current Trinidad and Tobago captian Dwight Yorke amongst
its roster of players.  Former Japanese international Kazuyoshi Miura is
also now amongst the players.  Australian internationals include David
Zdrillic, Sasho Petrovski and Steve Corica.

They play out of Aussie Stadium, which has a capacity of around 43,000 all
seated.  Aussie stadium was the venue for the Australia-Argentina playoff in
1993, the FIFA World Youth Cup final in 1993, and an Olympic games semi
final in 2000.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
> steve d

 
 
 

FIFA Club World Championship Toyota Cup Japan 2005 - a request for fans of the competing clubs

Post by ruud » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:13:16



Quote:
>Sydney FC was formed in 2004 to compete in the A League that has now
>commenced in 2005.  It was a brand new club, although it wears colors
>similar to a club that ran around a few years ago called Sydney City.  

In the 60s and 70s they were called Hakoah I think. They were
originally supported by the Eastern Suburbs Jewish community. Correct
me if I'm wrong. I went to a lot of games with my old man, there was
no Dutch football club so we'd go and watch the Serbians and
Croatians. I remember going to a game at Penrith and the crowd was in
the thousands, that's just a local oval, might have been Jamison Park.

--
The place looked as though it had been visited by Gengiz
Cohen. Hence the term "wholesale destruction".
--
Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies.

 
 
 

FIFA Club World Championship Toyota Cup Japan 2005 - a request for fans of the competing clubs

Post by declan_mur.. » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:27:48

Quote:



> > > Sydney FC (Australia)

> > > history

> > Sort of mutually exclusive concepts here - Sydney qualified for the CWC
> > before it actually played its first league match.

> > James

> was aware of that James - was hoping for a bit of background on where
> the fans came from - whether it was a mix of Sydney United and Sydney
> Olympic from the old National Soccer League etc

> steve d

I'm a Sydney FC supporter, albeit one based in Japan. I live about 30
minutes from Toyota Stadium and after the Deportivo Saprissa hope to
see Sydney play Liverpool.

Before Sydney FC existed I supported a club called Blacktown City
Demons in western Sydney. It was one of the few "non-ethnic" clubs.
They were in the NSL 3 times, but mostly played at State League level.
Pretty good youth policy, but then Kevin Keegan played for them (albeit
briefly) in his post-Liverpool days.

Whenever they weren't in the NSL, I sometimes went to see an "Italian"
club (the supporters, not the players) called Marconi. They were
basically the Italian version of Sydney United and Sydney Olympic.

Regards Declan

 
 
 

FIFA Club World Championship Toyota Cup Japan 2005 - a request for fans of the competing clubs

Post by ruud » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:35:43


Quote:
>Before Sydney FC existed I supported a club called Blacktown City
>Demons in western Sydney. It was one of the few "non-ethnic" clubs.
>They were in the NSL 3 times, but mostly played at State League level.
>Pretty good youth policy, but then Kevin Keegan played for them (albeit
>briefly) in his post-Liverpool days.

hmm I used to watch blacktown city, we're talking early 80s. Had a few
mates who played juniors for them because everyone spoke english.
Being a dutchman I couldn't be involved in anything like that.

Quote:
>Whenever they weren't in the NSL, I sometimes went to see an "Italian"
>club (the supporters, not the players) called Marconi. They were
>basically the Italian version of Sydney United and Sydney Olympic.

My niece plays in the women's 1st xi for marconi and she's not even
italian.
Quote:
>Regards Declan

 
 
 

FIFA Club World Championship Toyota Cup Japan 2005 - a request for fans of the competing clubs

Post by declan_mur.. » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:40:18

Quote:


> >Before Sydney FC existed I supported a club called Blacktown City
> >Demons in western Sydney. It was one of the few "non-ethnic" clubs.
> >They were in the NSL 3 times, but mostly played at State League level.
> >Pretty good youth policy, but then Kevin Keegan played for them (albeit
> >briefly) in his post-Liverpool days.

> hmm I used to watch blacktown city, we're talking early 80s. Had a few
> mates who played juniors for them because everyone spoke english.
> Being a dutchman I couldn't be involved in anything like that.

> >Whenever they weren't in the NSL, I sometimes went to see an "Italian"
> >club (the supporters, not the players) called Marconi. They were
> >basically the Italian version of Sydney United and Sydney Olympic.

> My niece plays in the women's 1st xi for marconi and she's not even
> italian.

As I said, "the supporters, not the players", or to be more exact,
their board. Their 1980's playing squad was anything but Italian,
though from memory the guest players were invariably long since retired
from the Serie A.

Regards Declan