Team line-ups for SA v England.

Team line-ups for SA v England.

Post by John Willia » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00


SOUTH AFRICA                            ENGLAND

P Montgomery                    15      M Perry
S Terblanche                    14    S Brown
A Snyman                                13      N Beal
P Muller                                12      J Baxendell
P Rossouw                               11      P Sampson
H Honiball                              10      J Lewsey
J van der Westhuizen            9       M Dawson (captain)

R Kempson                               1       G Rowntree
J Dalton                                2       R***erill
A Garvey                                3       P Vickery
K Otto                          4       R Fidler
M Andrews                               5       D Sims
J Erasmus                               6       B Clarke
A Venter                                7       P Sanderson
G Teichmann (captain).          8       T Diprose

South Africa Replacements: M Hendricks, B van Straaten, W Swanepoel, A
Aitken, R Skinstad, A-H le Roux, A Drotske.

England Replacements: S Ravenscroft, T Stimpson, S Benton, B Sturnham,
S Ojomoh, W Green, P Greening.

Does anyone know who the referee is?

It looks a real test for the English - it will be interesting to see
how Sampson gets on against Terblanche - Sampson should be okay for
pace, but his defence isn't fully developed yet. In The Guardian,
Sampson said he was only seen as a wing by his club, Wasps, which has
led to him only getting 13 league games last season.

I'm delighted Brown is playing, as he was desperately unlucky not to
start one of the tests against NZ.

I can't help worrying about the English place-kicking [amongst other
things]. Woodward said "The way to beat the Springboks is ball in
hand, but our approach on the day will depend very much on the
conditions." He hasn't ruled out a tactical kicking game. If the
weather does lead to a forward dogfight, England will need to slot any
chances to have any hope of an upset.

All the best

John Williams.

 
 
 

Team line-ups for SA v England.

Post by Ian Diddam » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> I can't help worrying about the English place-kicking [amongst other
> things].

Didn't Dawson enmd up kicking for Northants after Grayson's injury last
season?

Has his kicking gone off the boil since then, or was it always toilet?

--
Didds.

Live in the UK ?  Want a completely free 500 pounds overdraft while
helping me win a free dinner at the Ritz?  Email me....

 
 
 

Team line-ups for SA v England.

Post by Mark Postle-Haco » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00


writes

Quote:

>> I can't help worrying about the English place-kicking [amongst other
>> things].

>Didn't Dawson enmd up kicking for Northants after Grayson's injury last
>season?

>Has his kicking gone off the boil since then, or was it always toilet?

It was probably always pants :(

Looks a reasonable side though - I'll be interested to see how Sampson
goes!

Mpers

 
 
 

Team line-ups for SA v England.

Post by John Willia » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 16:05:22 +0100, Mark Postle-Hacon

Quote:


>writes
>>Didn't Dawson enmd up kicking for Northants after Grayson's injury last
>>season?
>>Has his kicking gone off the boil since then, or was it always toilet?
>It was probably always pants :(

[...]

Isn't it typical, you can never find a Saints fan when you want one.
Leicester lose to them and half a dozen appear out of the woodwork.

I think Didds is right and Dawson kicked a bit last season. Not
exactly a marksman from what I remember. Unfortunately neither is
Perry, Baxendell, or anyone else playing tomorrow. Lewsey might become
good, but hasn't got much experience under pressure. Stimpson is the
only one on tour with a proven international record. I remember
hearing that Grayson might be available to come out after his sprog's
birth. Obviously that hasn't happened and nor should it.

All the best

John Williams.

 
 
 

Team line-ups for SA v England.

Post by Mark Postle-Haco » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00



Quote:
>On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 16:05:22 +0100, Mark Postle-Hacon


>>writes

>>>Didn't Dawson enmd up kicking for Northants after Grayson's injury last
>>>season?

>>>Has his kicking gone off the boil since then, or was it always toilet?

>>It was probably always pants :(

>[...]

>Isn't it typical, you can never find a Saints fan when you want one.
>Leicester lose to them and half a dozen appear out of the woodwork.

>I think Didds is right and Dawson kicked a bit last season. Not
>exactly a marksman from what I remember. Unfortunately neither is
>Perry, Baxendell, or anyone else playing tomorrow. Lewsey might become
>good, but hasn't got much experience under pressure. Stimpson is the
>only one on tour with a proven international record. I remember
>hearing that Grayson might be available to come out after his sprog's
>birth. Obviously that hasn't happened and nor should it.

Come back Simon Hodgkinson all is forgiven ;)