Tigers Vs Llanelli (spoiler) (E) (W) (C)

Tigers Vs Llanelli (spoiler) (E) (W) (C)

Post by Duncan Keen » Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:00:00


Tigers 47 Llanelli 33
Tigers won convincingly with Llanelli scoring a couple of consolation
tries. Both teams fielded a mix of first team and reserve players.
***erill captained Tigers and was certainly fired up. The game was
fairly exciting and contained some good tries. Martin Corry played his
Tigers debut and looked very impressive espeicially at the back of the
lineout. The best try was probably scored by Tigers young full-back
Barlow. After ten mins tigers were allover the welsh team and the
scarlets lost their temper. They grabbed the Tigers lock and slammed him
onto his ankle which snapped very badly. The aggro then went very bad and
***erill and Garforth decided to sort out the welsh. A mass brawl was
eventually stopped and no punishment handed out by the ref. From then
until just after 1/2 time the Scarlets stamped and took people out off
the ball at every opportunity. Will Johnson Martins younger more
aggresive brother went off with a cut head as did***erill. One incident
of many that stick in my memory was the Llanelli player knocking on the
ball and then hacking it through to the in-goal area the Tigers full-back
watched it off the end and just shepered it out. The Llanelli full-back
grabbed Barlow by the hair and smashed it into the concrete of the stand
behind the line. luckily he was alright but that's not really the point
is it.
I'd just like to ask some of the welsh fans if this sort of thing is
normally accepted in their league games or if it's only against the
english?

Duncan

 
 
 

Tigers Vs Llanelli (spoiler) (E) (W) (C)

Post by Bryan M.Case » Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
> I'd just like to ask some of the welsh fans if this sort of thing is
> normally accepted in their league games or if it's only against the
> english?

Answer.
1. It is normally acceptable in their League games.
2. Llanelli are the cleanest of the top Welsh Clubs.
3. Welsh clubs do it on their holidays too.
4. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

 
 
 

Tigers Vs Llanelli (spoiler) (E) (W) (C)

Post by John Willia » Mon, 04 Aug 1997 04:00:00

On Sat, 02 Aug 1997 19:47:43 -0700, Duncan Keene

Quote:

>Tigers 47 Llanelli 33
>Tigers won convincingly with Llanelli scoring a couple of consolation
>tries. Both teams fielded a mix of first team and reserve players.

Yep, it was very much a trial game. It's always nice to see people
like Botica in action though.

Quote:
>Cockerill captained Tigers and was certainly fired up. The game was
>fairly exciting and contained some good tries. Martin Corry played his
>Tigers debut and looked very impressive espeicially at the back of the
>lineout.

It was surprising how well Leicester did in the lineout. Young Hurrell
(until injured) and Fuller looked good prospects. I liked the way
Leicester used Brive's lineout variation: jump early at 4 then throw
to 5 (Corry). It's good to learn from one's mistakes.

Quote:
>The best try was probably scored by Tigers young full-back
>Barlow.

I liked Wintle's try for Llanelli too.

Quote:
>After ten mins tigers were allover the welsh team and the
>scarlets lost their temper. They grabbed the Tigers lock and slammed him
>onto his ankle which snapped very badly. The aggro then went very bad and
>Cockerill and Garforth decided to sort out the welsh. A mass brawl was
>eventually stopped and no punishment handed out by the ref.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a mass brawl. Certainly
***erill seemed to be in the thick of things, but most of the players
seemed to be trying to separate antagonists.

Quote:
>From then
>until just after 1/2 time the Scarlets stamped and took people out off
>the ball at every opportunity. Will Johnson Martins younger more
>aggresive brother went off with a cut head as did***erill.

People were on and off all the time, not usually for *** reasons
from what could see, Duncan. I think you are laying it on a bit thick
here. Certainly***erill looked ***-free when he came off. Though
the loosehead (not Jelley) had a *** gash at one stage.

Quote:
>One incident
>of many that stick in my memory was the Llanelli player knocking on the
>ball and then hacking it through to the in-goal area the Tigers full-back
>watched it off the end and just shepered it out. The Llanelli full-back
>grabbed Barlow by the hair and smashed it into the concrete of the stand
>behind the line. luckily he was alright but that's not really the point
>is it.

I missed that one.

I thought the game (and the previous one Extras v Ebbw Vale, 22-22)
were useful run-outs for the sides. I was impressed with Paul Gustard
who appeared in both games. He's a very busy ball carrier and highly
promising at around 21 years old. He and Corry will have completely
removed a problem at blind side for the next few years.

Barlow seemed quite useful in the full-back role. I've seen him a
couple of times on the wing, and he looks quite sharp.

Matt Jones kicked impeccably, including the best drop-goal I've seen
since the days of Jez Harris. He wasn't so hot on getting the backs
running though: too often the pass was at ankle height. Lloyd and
especially Joiner hardly got a touch on the wings, which is a bit
worrying in a practice game.

Did you catch who it was playing fly-half for Extras? Someone needs to
tell him there's no need to do a slow loop when exploiting a 5 on 3
overlap!

All the best

John Williams.

 
 
 

Tigers Vs Llanelli (spoiler) (E) (W) (C)

Post by Anthony Walt » Sun, 10 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Whilst Under Pressure From The Ponty Pack On 2 Aug 1997 23:06:43 GMT,

Quote:

>> I'd just like to ask some of the welsh fans if this sort of thing is
>> normally accepted in their league games or if it's only against the
>> english?

>Answer.
>1. It is normally acceptable in their League games.
>2. Llanelli are the cleanest of the top Welsh Clubs.
>3. Welsh clubs do it on their holidays too.
>4. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

From the original posting in this thread, it rather sounds like the
guy accidentally went to watch a WWF event, rather than a rugby game.

BTW .. I never read any reports of that game in any of the Welsh
press?

Welsh rugby is not dirty, I believe the first division only had a
dozen players (if that) sent off all year. As usual, Cardiff get
painted whiter than white but end with worse disiplinary record in the
first division, and Treorchy .. the so called "Crazy Gang" of the
first division never had a player sent off.

Anthony
Pontypridd RFC .. Welsh Champions 1996/97

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The situation prompted one member, who failed to identify himself to
the meeting to say, "I haven't felt this depressed since I discovered
Father Christmas did not exist."
Unknown Llanelli Supporter Ponders His Clubs Future.
Western Mail 25/6/97
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 
 
 

Tigers Vs Llanelli (spoiler) (E) (W) (C)

Post by Kingsley Matthew » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
> From the original posting in this thread, it rather sounds like the
> guy accidentally went to watch a WWF event, rather than a rugby game.

Why should the World Wildlife Fund run this type of event?

Kingsley