Fantasy Rugby Five Nations Championship

Fantasy Rugby Five Nations Championship

Post by NIGEL EVAN » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00


           Fantasy competitions have proved to be very popular in the British
press. Basically they involve the individual in selecting a team of players.
The performance of each of the selected players is marked according to his
success, or otherwise, in his particular sport. The winner of the competition
is the one whose selections earn most points for his chosen "fantasy" team.
The rules relating to most competitions are very complicated. Players are
graded according to their "ability" and competitors are not allowed to pick
all the star players for their fantasy team. No such restrictions here !
          If there is sufficient interest, say ten or more people, I propose
to run a simplified version of the competition for the duration of the Five
Nations tournament. The basic idea is very simple. You pick a fantasy rugby
team from the competing nations. You then select three of these players as
"jokers". These "jokers" will earn double the normal point score. The winner
will be the person whose "team" has scored the most points over the ten
games of the Championship.
          If I haven't already baffled you :), this is an example of such
a fantasy team ;

          15   France       *   8  England    *
          14   France           7  France
          13   England          6  Ireland
          12   Scotland         5  Wales
          11   Wales            4  Scotland
          10   Wales            3  Wales
           9   Ireland      *   2  Scotland
                                1  England

           The team will be awarded points according to the individual
country's performance in each of the positions. The asterisked players, in
this case the French full-back, Irish scrum-half and English No 8, will be
awarded "double points".
           This is all you need to do. Select a team comprised of players
from any of the Home Nations and pick 3 who you wish to score "double points".
Do not identify the players by name. Country and number only, please.
           Select each position by nominating any country you wish. There is
no restriction on the numbers of players you may pick from any country. And
if you don't want a Welsh player in any of the positions, It's OK, I'll
understand :)
           The actual point scoring system may sound complicated, but it isn't
really.
           Tries                           Kicks

           Full Back    3 points         All successful kicks = 1 point
           Wings        1 point
           Centres      1 point
           Half-backs   1 point
           Front Row    3 points
           Second Row   4 points
           Back Row     3 points

       Any selected player who is on a winning side earns 2 points

       Any selected player who plays in a losing side at home earns -2 points

       Any selected player who plays in an away loss earns -1 point

       No points are earned for draws

       A player who is sent off earns -10 points.

            The team cannot be changed. If a substitute appears he takes the
place of the original selection and points are earned according to the
combined performances of the two players in that match. Positional changes,
e.g. change of wings, etc., during the course of a game will be ignored.
            I'll accept any entries from now until Friday December 22. They'll
be acknowledged. Before 27 December I'll publish a list of competitors
giving their teams and names only ( no e-mail addresses ). Any errors in this
published list should be reported to me by 15 January 1996. This is so as to
give me time to sort out my spreadsheets, etc., by the first two games which
are due to be played on 20 January 1996.
            If I haven't made the details of the competition clear please
send me e-mail so that I can attempt to make things clearer. All entries to
me by e-mail, please and not to the group. This post will be repeated at weekly
intervals.               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      The fixtures are as follows :

            20 January           France   v   England
                                 Ireland  v   Scotland
             3 February          England  v   Wales
                                 Scotland v   France
            17 February          France   v   Ireland
                                 Wales    v   Scotland
             2 March             Ireland  v   Wales
                                 Scotland v   England
            16 March             Wales    v   France
                                 England  v   Ireland

...........Please Cut Here....................................................
Entry Form
                           Five Nations Fantasy

     Position No.             Country                   Joker
                         ( Enter E,F,I,S,W )   ( Mark 3 with asterisk)
         1
         2
         3
         4
         5
         6
         7
         8
         9
        10
        11
        12
        13
        14
        15
...........Please cut here....................................................
--  
                              Nigel Evans

   **************************************************************************
   *    And he went on,and there was a yellow light,and fire within; and    *
   *  the evening meal was ready, and he was expected.And Rose drew him in, *
   *  and set him in his chair,and put little Elanor upon his lap.          *
   *   He drew a deep breath."Well,I'm back," he said.                      *                                          *
   **************************************************************************

 
 
 

Fantasy Rugby Five Nations Championship

Post by Nigel Evan » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00



Quote:
>            Fantasy competitions have proved to be very popular in the British
> press. Basically they involve the individual in selecting a team of players.
> The performance of each of the selected players is marked according to his
> success, or otherwise, in his particular sport. The winner of the competition
> is the one whose selections earn most points for his chosen "fantasy" team.
> The rules relating to most competitions are very complicated. Players are
> graded according to their "ability" and competitors are not allowed to pick
> all the star players for their fantasy team. No such restrictions here !
>           If there is sufficient interest, say ten or more people, I propose
> to run a simplified version of the competition for the duration of the Five
> Nations tournament. The basic idea is very simple. You pick a fantasy rugby
> team from the competing nations. You then select three of these players as
> "jokers". These "jokers" will earn double the normal point score. The winner
> will be the person whose "team" has scored the most points over the ten
> games of the Championship.
>           If I haven't already baffled you :), this is an example of such
> a fantasy team ;

>           15   France       *   8  England    *
>           14   France           7  France
>           13   England          6  Ireland
>           12   Scotland         5  Wales
>           11   Wales            4  Scotland
>           10   Wales            3  Wales
>            9   Ireland      *   2  Scotland
>                                 1  England

>            The team will be awarded points according to the individual
> country's performance in each of the positions. The asterisked players, in
> this case the French full-back, Irish scrum-half and English No 8, will be
> awarded "double points".
>            This is all you need to do. Select a team comprised of players
> from any of the Home Nations and pick 3 who you wish to score "double points".
> Do not identify the players by name. Country and number only, please.
>            Select each position by nominating any country you wish. There is
> no restriction on the numbers of players you may pick from any country. And
> if you don't want a Welsh player in any of the positions, It's OK, I'll
> understand :)
>            The actual point scoring system may sound complicated, but it isn't
> really.
>            Tries                           Kicks

>            Full Back    3 points         All successful kicks = 1 point
>            Wings        1 point
>            Centres      1 point
>            Half-backs   1 point
>            Front Row    3 points
>            Second Row   4 points
>            Back Row     3 points

>        Any selected player who is on a winning side earns 2 points

>        Any selected player who plays in a losing side at home earns -2 points

>        Any selected player who plays in an away loss earns -1 point

>        No points are earned for draws

>        A player who is sent off earns -10 points.

>             The team cannot be changed. If a substitute appears he takes the
> place of the original selection and points are earned according to the
> combined performances of the two players in that match. Positional changes,
> e.g. change of wings, etc., during the course of a game will be ignored.
>             I'll accept any entries from now until Friday December 22. They'll
> be acknowledged. Before 27 December I'll publish a list of competitors
> giving their teams and names only ( no e-mail addresses ). Any errors in this
> published list should be reported to me by 15 January 1996. This is so as to
> give me time to sort out my spreadsheets, etc., by the first two games which
> are due to be played on 20 January 1996.
>             If I haven't made the details of the competition clear please
> send me e-mail so that I can attempt to make things clearer. All entries to
> me by e-mail, please and not to the group. This post will be repeated at weekly
> intervals.               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>       The fixtures are as follows :

>             20 January           France   v   England
>                                  Ireland  v   Scotland
>              3 February          England  v   Wales
>                                  Scotland v   France
>             17 February          France   v   Ireland
>                                  Wales    v   Scotland
>              2 March             Ireland  v   Wales
>                                  Scotland v   England
>             16 March             Wales    v   France
>                                  England  v   Ireland

> ...........Please Cut Here....................................................
> Entry Form
>                            Five Nations Fantasy

>      Position No.             Country                   Joker
>                          ( Enter E,F,I,S,W )   ( Mark 3 with asterisk)
>          1
>          2
>          3
>          4
>          5
>          6
>          7
>          8
>          9
>         10
>         11
>         12
>         13
>         14
>         15
> ...........Please cut here....................................................
> --  
>                               Nigel Evans

>    **************************************************************************
>    *    And he went on,and there was a yellow light,and fire within; and    *
>    *  the evening meal was ready, and he was expected.And Rose drew him in, *
>    *  and set him in his chair,and put little Elanor upon his lap.          *
>    *   He drew a deep breath."Well,I'm back," he said.                      *  
>                                         *
>    **************************************************************************

--
                              Nigel Evans

   **************************************************************************
   *    And he went on,and there was a yellow light,and fire within; and    *
   *  the evening meal was ready, and he was expected.And Rose drew him in, *
   *  and set him in his chair,and put little Elanor upon his lap.          *
   *   He drew a deep breath."Well,I'm back," he said.                      *                                          *
   **************************************************************************

 
 
 

Fantasy Rugby Five Nations Championship

Post by Kerran Evan » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

The real fantasy is to think anybody outside of the UK, Ireland and
France really gives jack shit about the 5 nations.
--
Kerran Evans

http://www.netlink.co.nz/~kerran/index.html

 
 
 

Fantasy Rugby Five Nations Championship

Post by Alun Roac » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>The real fantasy is to think anybody outside of the UK, Ireland and
>France really gives jack shit about the 5 nations.
>--
>Kerran Evans

>http://www.netlink.co.nz/~kerran/index.html

Another antipodean arrogant poster, huh? So why do YOU keep pounding the
newsgroup with Ranfurley Shield and Bledisloe Cup garbage, then? There
ARE people with a passionate interest in the 5 Nations who couldn't care
less about YOUR provincial and southern hemisphere run-outs. This is a
global newsgroup, remember!

Tolerance...

Alun.

 
 
 

Fantasy Rugby Five Nations Championship

Post by D.P. Rowbott » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00



Quote:
>The real fantasy is to think anybody outside of the UK,
Ireland and
>France really gives jack shit about the 5 nations.

Did anyone ever say that they did?
I think not.

Darrell.

 
 
 

Fantasy Rugby Five Nations Championship

Post by Coli » Sun, 03 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>The real fantasy is to think anybody outside of the UK, Ireland and
>France really gives jack shit about the 5 nations.

I do actually. While it hasnt always produced sparkling rugby it has
usually been very tight & tense. I always enjoy watching the matches &
look forwards to this seasons tournament. Sure it ranks behind the
RWC, The Bledisloe & SAANZ but its impotant to world rugby none the
less.


Kiwi & Proud of it!

 
 
 

Fantasy Rugby Five Nations Championship

Post by John Willia » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

{A weak flamebait :-)}

Quote:
>I do actually. While it hasnt always produced sparkling rugby it has
>usually been very tight & tense. I always enjoy watching the matches &
>look forwards to this seasons tournament. Sure it ranks behind the
>RWC, The Bledisloe & SAANZ but its impotant to world rugby none the
>less.

Thank you Colin (I think) :-).

How many of the games will be shown on NZ t.v? Also who does your
commentaries, are they Starmer "that shows how important it is to be
ambidextrous when it comes to kicking" Smith and good old Bill
McLaren? If so, how to they compare with the NZ guys everyone your
side of the world seems to slag off?

All the best


 
 
 

Fantasy Rugby Five Nations Championship

Post by Paul Kenda » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00


Quote:
> How many of the games will be shown on NZ t.v?

Usually all the 5N games are shown on NZ TV.  Last season Sky TV showed
full replays on Sunday mornings (NZT) while TVNZ had match highlights
later that afternoon.

Quote:
> Also who does your commentaries, are they Starmer "that shows how important it
> is to be ambidextrous when it comes to kicking" Smith and good old Bill
> McLaren?

Unfortunately.  McLaren excluded of course.

Quote:
> If so, how to they compare with the NZ guys everyone your side of the world
> seems to slag off?

I think I've answered your question.  Like any commentator you either like
them or loathe them.  McLaren, Salmon and Butler aren't too bad but
Starmer-Smith's commentating style doesn't appeal to me.

Paul

 
 
 

Fantasy Rugby Five Nations Championship

Post by Nigel Evan » Wed, 27 Dec 1995 04:00:00


             I have received over twenty entries for the competition, most
after the closing date ! However, I've decided to amend the last date for
entries to 17 January 1996. To date all the entries have come from the
Northern hemisphere. Anybody down under want to have a go ?

Quote:
>            Fantasy competitions have proved to be very popular in the British
> press. Basically they involve the individual in selecting a team of players.
> The performance of each of the selected players is marked according to his
> success, or otherwise, in his particular sport. The winner of the competition
> is the one whose selections earn most points for his chosen "fantasy" team.
> The rules relating to most competitions are very complicated. Players are
> graded according to their "ability" and competitors are not allowed to pick
> all the star players for their fantasy team. No such restrictions here !
>           If there is sufficient interest, say ten or more people, I propose
> to run a simplified version of the competition for the duration of the Five
> Nations tournament. The basic idea is very simple. You pick a fantasy rugby
> team from the competing nations. You then select three of these players as
> "jokers". These "jokers" will earn double the normal point score. The winner
> will be the person whose "team" has scored the most points over the ten
> games of the Championship.
>           If I haven't already baffled you :), this is an example of such
> a fantasy team ;

>           15   France       *   8  England    *
>           14   France           7  France
>           13   England          6  Ireland
>           12   Scotland         5  Wales
>           11   Wales            4  Scotland
>           10   Wales            3  Wales
>            9   Ireland      *   2  Scotland
>                                 1  England

>            The team will be awarded points according to the individual
> country's performance in each of the positions. The asterisked players, in
> this case the French full-back, Irish scrum-half and English No 8, will be
> awarded "double points".
>            This is all you need to do. Select a team comprised of players
> from any of the Home Nations and pick 3 who you wish to score "double points".
> Do not identify the players by name. Country and number only, please.
>            Select each position by nominating any country you wish. There is
> no restriction on the numbers of players you may pick from any country. And
> if you don't want a Welsh player in any of the positions, It's OK, I'll
> understand :)
>            The actual point scoring system may sound complicated, but it isn't
> really.
>            Tries                           Kicks

>            Full Back    3 points         All successful kicks = 1 point
>            Wings        1 point
>            Centres      1 point
>            Half-backs   1 point
>            Front Row    3 points
>            Second Row   4 points
>            Back Row     3 points

>        Any selected player who is on a winning side earns 2 points

>        Any selected player who plays in a losing side at home earns -2 points

>        Any selected player who plays in an away loss earns -1 point

>        No points are earned for draws

>        A player who is sent off earns -10 points.

>             The team cannot be changed. If a substitute appears he takes the
> place of the original selection and points are earned according to the
> combined performances of the two players in that match. Positional changes,
> e.g. change of wings, etc., during the course of a game will be ignored.
>             I'll accept any entries from now until Friday December 22. They'll
> be acknowledged. Before 27 December I'll publish a list of competitors
> giving their teams and names only ( no e-mail addresses ). Any errors in this
> published list should be reported to me by 15 January 1996. This is so as to
> give me time to sort out my spreadsheets, etc., by the first two games which
> are due to be played on 20 January 1996.
>             If I haven't made the details of the competition clear please
> send me e-mail so that I can attempt to make things clearer. All entries to
> me by e-mail, please and not to the group. This post will be repeated at weekly
> intervals.               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>       The fixtures are as follows :

>             20 January           France   v   England
>                                  Ireland  v   Scotland
>              3 February          England  v   Wales
>                                  Scotland v   France
>             17 February          France   v   Ireland
>                                  Wales    v   Scotland
>              2 March             Ireland  v   Wales
>                                  Scotland v   England
>             16 March             Wales    v   France
>                                  England  v   Ireland

> ...........Please Cut Here....................................................
> Entry Form
>                            Five Nations Fantasy

>      Position No.             Country                   Joker
>                          ( Enter E,F,I,S,W )   ( Mark 3 with asterisk)
>          1
>          2
>          3
>          4
>          5
>          6
>          7
>          8
>          9
>         10
>         11
>         12
>         13
>         14
>         15
> ...........Please cut here....................................................
> --  
>                               Nigel Evans

>    **************************************************************************
>    *    And he went on,and there was a yellow light,and fire within; and    *
>    *  the evening meal was ready, and he was expected.And Rose drew him in, *
>    *  and set him in his chair,and put little Elanor upon his lap.          *
>    *   He drew a deep breath."Well,I'm back," he said.                      *  
>                                         *
>    **************************************************************************

--
                              Nigel Evans

   **************************************************************************
   *    And he went on,and there was a yellow light,and fire within; and    *
   *  the evening meal was ready, and he was expected.And Rose drew him in, *
   *  and set him in his chair,and put little Elanor upon his lap.          *
   *   He drew a deep breath."Well,I'm back," he said.                      *                                          *
   **************************************************************************