Australia v Ireland............Spoiler

Australia v Ireland............Spoiler

Post by Will Sutto » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Yes.........spoiler is apt when you want to talk about
this test.....the last 20 mins a bit better to watch but
not a great match

Wilson, Gregan, Paul and Herbert Australia's best.........and
Tian Strauss is now an excellent chance of been selected
in the starting 15 for the next test..............and he just bagged
his hat trick ( 4 tries for Sth Africa in 15 or so tests and 3 tries
in about 30mins for Aust )

BTW.....score  46 - 10
--
Mutant Axe
http://www.users.bigpond.com/will_sutton/

 
 
 

Australia v Ireland............Spoiler

Post by Brian Devereu » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Yes.........spoiler is apt when you want to talk about
> this test.....the last 20 mins a bit better to watch but
> not a great match

> Wilson, Gregan, Paul and Herbert Australia's best.........and
> Tian Strauss is now an excellent chance of been selected
> in the starting 15 for the next test..............and he just bagged
> his hat trick ( 4 tries for Sth Africa in 15 or so tests and 3 tries
> in about 30mins for Aust )

> BTW.....score  46 - 10
> --

Putting this in perspective..

A highly motivated Irish side which was missing only one sure fired
starter in Miller, was stuffed by an OZ team missing some key players
and playing for the first time this year.

We cannot live for 80 minutes with a team which plays the game at this
pace.  We lack the team speed and skills.   Campese was only 4 points
short of his prediction.

Nice job OZ.

 
 
 

Australia v Ireland............Spoiler

Post by John Willia » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00



Quote:

>> Yes.........spoiler is apt when you want to talk about
>> this test.....the last 20 mins a bit better to watch but
>> not a great match

Not great at all, though there were some nice passages in the second
half.

I expect lots of the mistakes can be put down to the evening dew etc.
Is Australia now an evening test country? I can't remember the last
time they played an afternoon test at home (though it might have been
quite recently).

There was a fairly negative attitude by both sides at the breakdown,
and I think Watson might have penalised sides for diving over a bit
more, but he reffed pretty well I thought.

The first half was surprisingly even on the scoreboard although Aus
had much more ball. A slight change in fortune and it could easily
have been 10 all at half time instead of 13-3.

This has to go down as a game lost by a prop, Clohessy (?) could
easily have been sent off for stamping on Tune in my view, which led
to a release of pressure on Australia and a chance for them to score
their first points of the second half. If I were Tune I'd be really
miffed at having to come off after such an incident. Particularly as
he's coming back from injury anyway.

Blow me if Johns didn't then get a yellow card, and then Clohessy a
yellow card for a second incident. It's very disappointing for Ireland
to lose the plot because of indiscipline at a key stage rather than
because of good play by the opposition.

Sure Australia then loosened up and started to do some good stuff, but
before then they had been struggling. They might well have pulled
clear just as happened in the game, but Ireland gave it to Australia
on a plate.

Quote:
>> Wilson, Gregan, Paul and Herbert Australia's best.........and
>> Tian Strauss is now an excellent chance of been selected
>> in the starting 15 for the next test..............and he just bagged
>> his hat trick ( 4 tries for Sth Africa in 15 or so tests and 3 tries
>> in about 30mins for Aust )

What came over very strongly was how ineffectively Ireland retreated
when Australia made an initial break. The support play by the likes of
Wilson and Strauss was fine, but usually you'd expect at least one
defender running along the supporting players to get in the way.

Quote:
>> BTW.....score  46 - 10
>Putting this in perspective..
>A highly motivated Irish side which was missing only one sure fired
>starter in Miller, was stuffed by an OZ team missing some key players
>and playing for the first time this year.
>We cannot live for 80 minutes with a team which plays the game at this
>pace.  We lack the team speed and skills.   Campese was only 4 points
>short of his prediction.
>Nice job OZ.

Yep, it was a good Australian performance, second half anyway.

Given the inexperience of the Irish backs, certainly compared with
Australia, I thought they didn't do that badly. The forwards were a
little quiet I thought - even Wood made less impression than usual.

The worrying thing for Ireland is that Australia will probably be
better next week, and Ireland will be pushed very hard indeed then.

All the best

John Williams.

 
 
 

Australia v Ireland............Spoiler

Post by Ron » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

For TV of course, Nigel did warn us

also a good article in the Sydney morning herald by Fitz shows what money
has done to the game

Ron


Quote:



> >> Yes.........spoiler is apt when you want to talk about
> >> this test.....the last 20 mins a bit better to watch but
> >> not a great match

> Not great at all, though there were some nice passages in the second
> half.

> I expect lots of the mistakes can be put down to the evening dew etc.
> Is Australia now an evening test country? I can't remember the last
> time they played an afternoon test at home (though it might have been
> quite recently).

 
 
 

Australia v Ireland............Spoiler

Post by Will Sutto » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> For TV of course, Nigel did warn us

Of course its about TV.............I am just wondering what time the game
in WA will kick off ( they are 3 hours behind ).  So if they
start the game at 4pm it will be on at 7pm in the Eastern States.......

Quote:

> also a good article in the Sydney morning herald by Fitz shows what money
> has done to the game

money ruins everything it touches but I am willing to let it ruin me completely
Quote:

> Ron






> > >> Yes.........spoiler is apt when you want to talk about
> > >> this test.....the last 20 mins a bit better to watch but
> > >> not a great match

> > Not great at all, though there were some nice passages in the second
> > half.

> > I expect lots of the mistakes can be put down to the evening dew etc.
> > Is Australia now an evening test country? I can't remember the last
> > time they played an afternoon test at home (though it might have been
> > quite recently).

 
 
 

Australia v Ireland............Spoiler

Post by rick boy » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:


> > For TV of course, Nigel did warn us

> Of course its about TV.............I am just wondering what time the game
> in WA will kick off ( they are 3 hours behind ).  So if they
> start the game at 4pm it will be on at 7pm in the Eastern States.......

Still on daylight saving are we Will? WA is TWO hours behind Sydney as
it happens. the game here is an evening game so it should be on about
9.30 in Sydney.

-- Rick Boyd

Perth-Bayswater Rugby Union Football Club, Western Australia
club homepage: http://www.wt.com.au/~boyd/perth-baysw.htm

 
 
 

Australia v Ireland............Spoiler

Post by Will Sutto » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:



> > > For TV of course, Nigel did warn us

> > Of course its about TV.............I am just wondering what time the game
> > in WA will kick off ( they are 3 hours behind ).  So if they
> > start the game at 4pm it will be on at 7pm in the Eastern States.......

> Still on daylight saving are we Will? WA is TWO hours behind Sydney as
> it happens. the game here is an evening game so it should be on about
> 9.30 in Sydney.

> -- Rick Boyd

Yes........with the cricket on I dont know if its day or night. Anyway I think 7
would prefer it on about that time. Thanks for the info Rick
 
 
 

Australia v Ireland............Spoiler

Post by Andre » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

The game kicks off at 1800 local time (2000 AEST) specifically for CH7 of
course.

Andrew


Quote:




Quote:




Quote:
> > > > For TV of course, Nigel did warn us

> > > Of course its about TV.............I am just wondering what time the
game
> > > in WA will kick off ( they are 3 hours behind ).  So if they
> > > start the game at 4pm it will be on at 7pm in the Eastern
States.......

> > Still on daylight saving are we Will? WA is TWO hours behind Sydney as
> > it happens. the game here is an evening game so it should be on about
> > 9.30 in Sydney.

> > -- Rick Boyd

> Yes........with the cricket on I dont know if its day or night. Anyway I
think 7
> would prefer it on about that time. Thanks for the info Rick

 
 
 

Australia v Ireland............Spoiler

Post by Murray Spo » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00


[...]

Quote:
>This has to go down as a game lost by a prop,

Wow -- bit of an overstatement no?

Quote:
> Clohessy (?) could
>easily have been sent off for stamping on Tune in my view, which led
>to a release of pressure on Australia and a chance for them to score
>their first points of the second half. If I were Tune I'd be really
>miffed at having to come off after such an incident. Particularly as
>he's coming back from injury anyway.

And particulary because his chronic knee condition is well known --
and especially when Clohessy is a former team-mate -- one could be
forgiven for thinking that Clohessy cynically targeted Tune's knee on
purpose. I hope and trust that that is not true.

[...]

Quote:
>Sure Australia then loosened up and started to do some good stuff, but
>before then they had been struggling.

The stats of the 1st half conclusively disprove your assertion.
Australia had something like 75% of the possession and territory. They
should have been well clear at the end of the 1st half but their own
sloppy play (rustiness) let them down.

Quote:
> They might well have pulled
>clear just as happened in the game, but Ireland gave it to Australia
>on a plate.

Ireland were certainly poorer than I thought they would be. Australia
never looked like losing IMO -- and, apart from 2 or 3 Irish forays
(including their try) -- Aus were pretty much in control of the game
throughtout

Murray

 
 
 

Australia v Ireland............Spoiler

Post by John Willia » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

>>This has to go down as a game lost by a prop,
>Wow -- bit of an overstatement no?

Only a little....

If there was one point Ireland lost the game, that was it for me. As I
said, Australia might have done something similar without that
incident, we'll never know. On the other hand, if Ireland had
converted that position into points, the game just might have
developed differently. Probably not, but who knows?

Quote:
>>If I were Tune I'd be really
>>miffed at having to come off after such an incident. Particularly as
>>he's coming back from injury anyway.
>And particulary because his chronic knee condition is well known --
>and especially when Clohessy is a former team-mate -- one could be
>forgiven for thinking that Clohessy cynically targeted Tune's knee on
>purpose. I hope and trust that that is not true.

Yes, I didn't realise until post match reports it was actually Tune's
knee that got the treatment. Clohessy is one of the few players I have
little time for regarding discipline.

Quote:
>[...]

>>Sure Australia then loosened up and started to do some good stuff, but
>>before then they had been struggling.
>The stats of the 1st half conclusively disprove your assertion.

Not really. Sure Ireland had been struggling more, but were you
impressed with Australia's first half? I wasn't. I thought Australia
were playing quite poorly. Understandably so as the first game of the
new international season, injuries, etc, but that's the way I saw it.

Quote:
>Australia had something like 75% of the possession and territory. They
>should have been well clear at the end of the 1st half but their own
>sloppy play (rustiness) let them down.

Exactly so - they were struggling!

Quote:
>> They might well have pulled
>>clear just as happened in the game, but Ireland gave it to Australia
>>on a plate.
>Ireland were certainly poorer than I thought they would be. Australia
>never looked like losing IMO -- and, apart from 2 or 3 Irish forays
>(including their try) -- Aus were pretty much in control of the game
>throughtout

It was a very convincing win in the end, I certainly agree, and I fear
for Ireland next weekend, but the game was a satisfactory first
run-out for Aus, not a lot more in my view.

Roll on the next two tests!

All the best

John Williams.