Rankings WC 1999

Rankings WC 1999

Post by Johan van Zyl - JVZ Systems » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00


OK let us try and rank the teams for WC99

My try:
SA
NZ
France
Aus
England
Scotland, Wales, Ireland
Argentina, Italy
Canada, USA

And how are they supposed to play in the quarters, semis and the final
if they all win their first(second?) round matches according to
rankings

eg.
Q 1 - 1 vs 8
Q 2 - 2 vs 7
Q 3 - 3 vs 6
Q 4 - 4 vs 5

SF 1 - 1 vs 4
SF 2 - 2 vs 3

Thus
Final - 1 vs 2
South Africa vs All Blacks!

Johan van Zyl
Somerset West
South Africa

CW Standard 2002, FM2

 
 
 

Rankings WC 1999

Post by Lincolne Scot » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

you got to joking. The Manu Samoa team has beaten Wales and Ireland in their
last tour to the northern hemisphere, italy beat scotland this year and
argentina could bonce the irish off any the irish union had the guts to play
them.
Your top 4 picks are way off as well on current form the Kiwi should be
second! Have another go and this time remember the likes of Tonga, Fiji,
Samoa and Hong Kong!

Frank Soa


Quote:
>OK let us try and rank the teams for WC99

>My try:
>SA
>NZ
>France
>Aus
>England
>Scotland, Wales, Ireland
>Argentina, Italy
>Canada, USA

>And how are they supposed to play in the quarters, semis and the final
>if they all win their first(second?) round matches according to
>rankings

>eg.
>Q 1 - 1 vs 8
>Q 2 - 2 vs 7
>Q 3 - 3 vs 6
>Q 4 - 4 vs 5

>SF 1 - 1 vs 4
>SF 2 - 2 vs 3

>Thus
>Final - 1 vs 2
>South Africa vs All Blacks!

>Johan van Zyl
>Somerset West
>South Africa

>CW Standard 2002, FM2


 
 
 

Rankings WC 1999

Post by b.. » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> OK let us try and rank the teams for WC99

I couldn't really follow all your numbers there, Johan, but here's how the
cup is shaping up, with my picks in brackets, and a few guesses because as
far as I know the organisers still haven't allocated some of the positions.

There are five pools of four. The winners go straight through to the quarter
finals. Pool A (South Africa), Pool B (New Zealand -- I hope), Pool C
(France), Pool D (Argentina?) Pool E (Australia?).

A series of play offs is needed to decide the quarter final spots from amongst
the runners up.

The play offs are:

F - Runner Up E (Ireland) v Third Best (Canada? Tonga? Fiji? Let's say Canada)
G - Runner Up A (Scotland) v Runner Up D (Wales)
H - Runner Up B (England) v Runner Up C (Western Samoa?)

Quarter Finals:

J - Winner A (South Africa) v H (England)
K - Winner B (New Zealand) v G (Scotland)
L - Winner C (France) v F (Ireland)
M - Winner D (Argentina?) v Winner E (Australia?)

The SH Superpowers should all stroll home against weak opposition. You have
to feel sorry for England, copping South Africa, while the other member of
the Big Five, France, gets an easy win over Ireland. Still, you never know
with the Irish, do you?

Semi Finals:

J (South Africa) v M (Australia)
K (New Zealand) v L (France)

Hallelujah! NZ gets the easy option. At least, I hope it's an easy option.

Final:

On current form most observers would probably say -

Australia v New Zealand.

And on current form, Australia to win it.

BUT:

That is not what I think will happen. I think that South Africa will rise to
the occasion and beat Australia who won't have the experience to handle the
pressure. We will have another South Africa-New Zealand final, and I think
New Zealand will win it. Because they will be motivated by the ***s
of this year, they will have their best players back in form, and new players
of a suitable calibre.

I'm sure that's what it said in my crystal ball. Well, you didn't really
expect any different, did you?

-- Rick Boyd

-----== Posted via Deja News, The Leader in Internet Discussion ==-----
http://SportToday.org/; Create Your Own Free Member Forum

 
 
 

Rankings WC 1999

Post by Brendan Albor » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Just like in '95, nobody will be talking about the ABs as serious contenders
for RWC99, giving them the perfect opportunity to spring another ambush.

I remember watching that first test drubbing of Canada in '95 thinking that
the ABs were about to peak at the right time. I hope I'm doing the same next
year!

BA

 
 
 

Rankings WC 1999

Post by Johan van Zyl - JVZ Systems » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Thanks, this was the sort of response I wanted, makes for interesting
discussion!
Regards
Johan van Zyl

Quote:



>> OK let us try and rank the teams for WC99

>I couldn't really follow all your numbers there, Johan, but here's how the
>cup is shaping up, with my picks in brackets, and a few guesses because as
>far as I know the organisers still haven't allocated some of the positions.

>There are five pools of four. The winners go straight through to the quarter
>finals. Pool A (South Africa), Pool B (New Zealand -- I hope), Pool C
>(France), Pool D (Argentina?) Pool E (Australia?).

>A series of play offs is needed to decide the quarter final spots from amongst
>the runners up.

>The play offs are:

>F - Runner Up E (Ireland) v Third Best (Canada? Tonga? Fiji? Let's say Canada)
>G - Runner Up A (Scotland) v Runner Up D (Wales)
>H - Runner Up B (England) v Runner Up C (Western Samoa?)

>Quarter Finals:

>J - Winner A (South Africa) v H (England)
>K - Winner B (New Zealand) v G (Scotland)
>L - Winner C (France) v F (Ireland)
>M - Winner D (Argentina?) v Winner E (Australia?)

>The SH Superpowers should all stroll home against weak opposition. You have
>to feel sorry for England, copping South Africa, while the other member of
>the Big Five, France, gets an easy win over Ireland. Still, you never know
>with the Irish, do you?

>Semi Finals:

>J (South Africa) v M (Australia)
>K (New Zealand) v L (France)

>Hallelujah! NZ gets the easy option. At least, I hope it's an easy option.

>Final:

>On current form most observers would probably say -

>Australia v New Zealand.

>And on current form, Australia to win it.

>BUT:

>That is not what I think will happen. I think that South Africa will rise to
>the occasion and beat Australia who won't have the experience to handle the
>pressure. We will have another South Africa-New Zealand final, and I think
>New Zealand will win it. Because they will be motivated by the ***s
>of this year, they will have their best players back in form, and new players
>of a suitable calibre.

>I'm sure that's what it said in my crystal ball. Well, you didn't really
>expect any different, did you?

>-- Rick Boyd

>-----== Posted via Deja News, The Leader in Internet Discussion ==-----
>http://SportToday.org/; Create Your Own Free Member Forum

Johan van Zyl
Somerset West
South Africa

CW Standard 2002, FM2
 
 
 

Rankings WC 1999

Post by Johan van Zyl - JVZ Systems » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

My rankings were to extract some response from this NG. It worked.
Yea, I forgot about Samoa, Fuji etc. and you are probably right.
How about ranking them from 1 to 16 or whatever.
Thanks
Johan van Zyl

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:58:57 +1200, "Lincolne Scott"

Quote:

>you got to joking. The Manu Samoa team has beaten Wales and Ireland in their
>last tour to the northern hemisphere, italy beat scotland this year and
>argentina could bonce the irish off any the irish union had the guts to play
>them.
>Your top 4 picks are way off as well on current form the Kiwi should be
>second! Have another go and this time remember the likes of Tonga, Fiji,
>Samoa and Hong Kong!

>Frank Soa


>>OK let us try and rank the teams for WC99

>>My try:
>>SA
>>NZ
>>France
>>Aus
>>England
>>Scotland, Wales, Ireland
>>Argentina, Italy
>>Canada, USA

>>And how are they supposed to play in the quarters, semis and the final
>>if they all win their first(second?) round matches according to
>>rankings

>>eg.
>>Q 1 - 1 vs 8
>>Q 2 - 2 vs 7
>>Q 3 - 3 vs 6
>>Q 4 - 4 vs 5

>>SF 1 - 1 vs 4
>>SF 2 - 2 vs 3

>>Thus
>>Final - 1 vs 2
>>South Africa vs All Blacks!

>>Johan van Zyl
>>Somerset West
>>South Africa

>>CW Standard 2002, FM2

Johan van Zyl
Somerset West
South Africa

CW Standard 2002, FM2
 
 
 

Rankings WC 1999

Post by Johan van Zyl - JVZ Systems » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Does anybody know exactly which teams will take part in WC99?
Will Japan be there again?

Johan van Zyl
Somerset West
South Africa

CW Standard 2002, FM2

 
 
 

Rankings WC 1999

Post by Ian Diddam » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> you got to joking. The Manu Samoa team has beaten Wales and Ireland in their last tour to the northern hemisphere, italy beat scotland this year and argentina could bonce the irish off any the irish union had the guts to play  them.
> Your top 4 picks are way off as well on current form the Kiwi should be  second! Have another go and this time remember the likes of Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and Hong Kong!

Sympathies with your posting, but Tonga got duffed by wales last year,
and manu samoa hardly spread themselves about any more than Ireland
do...

--
Didds.

Live in the UK ?  Want free internet access, a completely free 500
pounds overdraft while helping me win a free dinner at the Ritz?
Email me....

 
 
 

Rankings WC 1999

Post by Christopher Wals » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Rankings (NB:- my take)

1. AUS or RSA (to be decided in two weeks)
2.
3. NZ
4. France
5. Scotland
6. England
7. Manu Samoa
8. Argentina
9. Ireland
10. Italy
11. Wales
12. Canada
13. Fiji
14. USA
15. Japan
16. Tonga
17. Zimbabwe
18. Equatorial Guinea (Wild-card)

????????????????


Quote:
> OK let us try and rank the teams for WC99

> My try:
> SA
> NZ
> France
> Aus
> England
> Scotland, Wales, Ireland
> Argentina, Italy
> Canada, USA

> And how are they supposed to play in the quarters, semis and the final
> if they all win their first(second?) round matches according to
> rankings

> eg.
> Q 1 - 1 vs 8
> Q 2 - 2 vs 7
> Q 3 - 3 vs 6
> Q 4 - 4 vs 5

> SF 1 - 1 vs 4
> SF 2 - 2 vs 3

> Thus
> Final - 1 vs 2
> South Africa vs All Blacks!

> Johan van Zyl
> Somerset West
> South Africa

> CW Standard 2002, FM2

--
A story to finish off this message:

Iraqi terrorist, Khay Rahnajet, didn't pay enough
postage on a letter bomb. It came back with
"return to sender" stamped on it. You've guessed it,
he opened it and said a fond farewell to his face.

 
 
 

Rankings WC 1999

Post by Jonathan Chapma » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
>Rankings (NB:- my take)

>1. AUS or RSA (to be decided in two weeks)
>2.
>3. NZ
>4. France

Ok so far...

Quote:
>5. Scotland
>6. England

And on what, pray do you base this????

There are 3 at the top - I'd pick Aus just ahead of SA and then NZ. Small
gap, then France just ahead of England.

Then, say what you like, there's a chasm to the next side.

And any one of Samoa, Argentina and Ireland could stake a better case for
being that side than Scotland.

JC

 
 
 

Rankings WC 1999

Post by Kingsley Matthew » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00



Quote:
>Does anybody know exactly which teams will take part in WC99?
>Will Japan be there again?

>Johan van Zyl
>Somerset West
>South Africa

>CW Standard 2002, FM2

None of the qualifying rounds have finished yet.  However, Japan have to
finish top of the Asian group and there is no real competition.
--
Kingsley
 
 
 

Rankings WC 1999

Post by Kingsley Matthew » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00



Quote:



>>Rankings (NB:- my take)

>>1. AUS or RSA (to be decided in two weeks)
>>2.
>>3. NZ
>>4. France

>Ok so far...

>>5. Scotland
>>6. England

>And on what, pray do you base this????

>There are 3 at the top - I'd pick Aus just ahead of SA and then NZ. Small
>gap, then France just ahead of England.

>Then, say what you like, there's a chasm to the next side.

>And any one of Samoa, Argentina and Ireland could stake a better case for
>being that side than Scotland.

>JC

Surely not Ireland, they haven't beaten Scotland in years.
--
Kingsley
 
 
 

Rankings WC 1999

Post by Ferd » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

<<>That is not what I think will happen. I think that South Africa
will rise to

Quote:
>the occasion and beat Australia who won't have the experience to handle the
>pressure. We will have another South Africa-New Zealand final, and I think
>New Zealand will win it. Because they will be motivated by the ***s
>of this year, ....>>>>

....and have travelled to the other side of the globe... (he,he..)

<<they will have their best players back in form, >>>

.....there is Fitzie and Zinnie on their black crutches.... and old
Bunce wheezing on to the field... ah yes... they are back....

<<and new players

Quote:
>of a suitable calibre.>>

.....which Hart miraculously found on the South Sea
Islands-----eerrrr----aaaahh-----I mean on the SOUTH ISLAND... seems
they were there all those years....just never got picked......

Jokes aside: Rick only a fool predicts a WC. Ask the Brazilians about
that. Even the English.

One can at most say the SH big three has a good chance to make it to
the final 8. That is if they peak right, if they don't have injuries
and if the weather does not turn horribly against them. And of course
if the ball does not bounce wickedly....and their kickers manage to
put the ***ing ball over...

 
 
 

Rankings WC 1999

Post by Timmy » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:



>I'm sure that's what it said in my crystal ball. Well, you didn't really
>expect any different, did you?

>-- Rick Boyd

I like your crystal ball. Can you please send it over here so that John Hart
can look into it and see who he should be picking.

Regards

 
 
 

Rankings WC 1999

Post by b.. » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00



Quote:

> Jokes aside: Rick only a fool predicts a WC. Ask the Brazilians about
> that. Even the English.

You will notice I cleverly avoided doing this.

I said Australia "on current form" which won't mean *** all at world cup
time.

Then I said New Zealand, adding that I'd be expected to say that. So no, I
don't seriously pretend to pick a world cup winner, or even semi-final
winners. The competition is the closest it has been in years, but even that
means little. A quick look at the past world cups will show that form leading
up to the cups meant absolutely nothing, and good form may have even be a
liability.

1987: Australia Bledisloe Cup winners in 1986, New Zealand an untried team of
underdogs. Winner - New Zealand. Australia finishes fourth behind Wales!.

1991: New Zealand unbeaten since the last world cup, Australia just emerging
as a new force. England solid but stodgy, but fortunately on the receiving
end of a very kind draw to make the final. Winner - Australia. New Zealand
third over Scotland.

1995: Australia Bledisloe Cup winners in 94. New Zealand just coming right
after three very dodgy years. South Africa back in it for the first time,
poor results in the preceding three years. Winner - South Africa. New Zealand
in the final after demolishing England. Australia knocked out in the quarter
finals.

-- Rick Boyd

-----== Posted via Deja News, The Leader in Internet Discussion ==-----
http://SportToday.org/; Create Your Own Free Member Forum