Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by Mentalguy2k » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 23:23:34


He does tend to take over, and literally during the Italy Wales game. I
tuned in late and didn't even notice until they explained at half-time that
the commentator had been replaced with Davies, he's always hogging the mic
anyway with his whiny voice.

Brian Moore is getting just as bad, he sounds like a bitter ex-pro sitting
in a pub nursing a pint and tutting and criticising everything that's on the
pub's telly. Doesn't even bother finishing his sentence half the time. I
thought it was just him and Butler that hated each other, but he seems to
annoy every commentator he's working with. John Inverdale is a knob wih no
personality.

I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
value.

 
 
 

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by Radio Transcripts Lt » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 02:00:53


Quote:
> He does tend to take over, and literally during the Italy Wales game. I
> tuned in late and didn't even notice until they explained at half-time that
> the commentator had been replaced with Davies, he's always hogging the mic
> anyway with his whiny voice.

> Brian Moore is getting just as bad, he sounds like a bitter ex-pro sitting
> in a pub nursing a pint and tutting and criticising everything that's on the
> pub's telly. Doesn't even bother finishing his sentence half the time. I
> thought it was just him and Butler that hated each other, but he seems to
> annoy every commentator he's working with. John Inverdale is a knob wih no
> personality.

> I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
> Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
> value.

Just be grateful you do not have to listen to GRANT ("NISBO") NISBET
like us poor folk in the Shaky Isles.

 
 
 

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by Gib Bogl » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 08:24:33


Quote:
> I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
> Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
> value.

I always appreciated Mexted, although many here didn't.  Justin Marshall
is very good, IMO.  He really knows the game.

 
 
 

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by calvi » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 08:30:00

I believe Matua has a thing for him.

--
cheers,
calvin

 
 
 

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by newsgrou » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 16:53:47

Quote:


> > I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
> > Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
> > value.

> I always appreciated Mexted, although many here didn't.  Justin Marshall
> is very good, IMO.  He really knows the game.

Mexted is good value, if you're neutral. His bias becomes a bit infuriating otherwise, at times. Justin Marshall is very good, my favourite commentator at the moment.

Skinstad is the most insightful of the SA commentators, but also biased at times and a bit bland compared to the Oz and Kiwi guys.

 
 
 

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by Baldon » Sat, 16 Mar 2013 05:57:34

Mentalguy2k8 brought next idea :

Quote:
> He does tend to take over, and literally during the Italy Wales game. I tuned
> in late and didn't even notice until they explained at half-time that the
> commentator had been replaced with Davies, he's always hogging the mic anyway
> with his whiny voice.

> Brian Moore is getting just as bad, he sounds like a bitter ex-pro sitting in
> a pub nursing a pint and tutting and criticising everything that's on the
> pub's telly. Doesn't even bother finishing his sentence half the time. I
> thought it was just him and Butler that hated each other, but he seems to
> annoy every commentator he's working with. John Inverdale is a knob wih no
> personality.

> I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray Mexted,
> he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent value.

I would prefer any one of them over Eddie Butler to be honest Mental.  
Nice bloke but can't stand his commentary. They should never have let
Bill McClaren die.

--
"Ce n'est qu'un dbut, continuons le combat !"

Count Baldoni

 
 
 

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by John » Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:03:35

Quote:


<snip>

> Mexted is good value, if you're neutral. His bias becomes a bit infuriating otherwise, at times. Justin Marshall is very good, my favourite commentator at the moment.

> Skinstad is the most insightful of the SA commentators, but also biased at times and a bit bland compared to the Oz and Kiwi guys.

Agreed. Ome bias in the NZ and SA commentators but isn't over the top.

Just not the Aussie commentators - please. Their bias is sickening.

 
 
 

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by Mentalguy2k » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 04:50:23


Quote:


>> > I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
>> > Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
>> > value.

>> I always appreciated Mexted, although many here didn't.  Justin Marshall
>> is very good, IMO.  He really knows the game.

> Mexted is good value, if you're neutral. His bias becomes a bit
> infuriating otherwise, at times. Justin Marshall is very good, my
> favourite commentator at the moment.

Mexted had some wicked one-liners during the last but one RWC, made the
"small" pool games worth watching.

Quote:

> Skinstad is the most insightful of the SA commentators, but also biased at
> times and a bit bland compared to the Oz and Kiwi guys.

I like Skinstad too, we get him over here sometimes when we're playing
against SA. Michael Lynagh was also very good and very impartial. We always
used to get Shaun "FutzPatrick" but he always looked smug, like he'd farted
and someone else got blamed.
 
 
 

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by Mentalguy2k » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 04:57:41


Quote:
> Mentalguy2k8 brought next idea :
>> He does tend to take over, and literally during the Italy Wales game. I
>> tuned in late and didn't even notice until they explained at half-time
>> that the commentator had been replaced with Davies, he's always hogging
>> the mic anyway with his whiny voice.

>> Brian Moore is getting just as bad, he sounds like a bitter ex-pro
>> sitting in a pub nursing a pint and tutting and criticising everything
>> that's on the pub's telly. Doesn't even bother finishing his sentence
>> half the time. I thought it was just him and Butler that hated each
>> other, but he seems to annoy every commentator he's working with. John
>> Inverdale is a knob wih no personality.

>> I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
>> Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
>> value.

> I would prefer any one of them over Eddie Butler to be honest Mental.
> Nice bloke but can't stand his commentary. They should never have let Bill
> McClaren die.

haha... I blame the BBC, Balders. I think they spent the entire sport budget
for the next century on Formula 1 and gave a big "screw you" to every other
sport. Sky have got all kinds of great commentators and pundits with
cutting-edge HD and CGI technology, the BBC got Lawrence Dallaglio in a
scarf with a pen and paper and some nasal Scottish bloke whose job it is to
pause the footage and point out where one player might have impeded another
player 7 nautical miles away from the action. Usually making sure we miss
the subsequent lineout/scrum/try.
 
 
 

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by admulhe.. » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:45:46

Quote:

> He does tend to take over, and literally during the Italy Wales game. I

> tuned in late and didn't even notice until they explained at half-time that

> the commentator had been replaced with Davies, he's always hogging the mic

> anyway with his whiny voice.

> Brian Moore is getting just as bad, he sounds like a bitter ex-pro sitting

> in a pub nursing a pint and tutting and criticising everything that's on the

> pub's telly. Doesn't even bother finishing his sentence half the time. I

> thought it was just him and Butler that hated each other, but he seems to

> annoy every commentator he's working with. John Inverdale is a knob wih no

> personality.

> I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray

> Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent

> value.

I used to think Nigel Starmer-Smith was bad until I heard John Taylor. There's a Norn-Irish guy who works
 for Sky, Bob Symonds I think is his name, who's commentary I quite like.
 
 
 

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by David W Noo » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 09:18:12

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1


about Re: Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?:

[snip]

Quote:
>There's a Norn-Irish guy who works
> for Sky, Bob Symonds I think is his name, who's commentary I quite
> like.

That would be Mark Robson, a.k.a. Robbo.  He has a strong Londonderry
accent and says some quirky things, although many are nonsensical.
- --
Regards,

Dave  [RLU #314465]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Remove spam trap to reply by e-mail.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAlFDukkACgkQ9MqaUJQw2MmK3gCgqKifGfuqBeUA0eylwsobnHF6
vy0AmgKfW8HoNLHUbGIHE+Vg7zBG/0R1
=bmlV
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

 
 
 

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by John William » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 23:18:41

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 00:18:12 +0000, David W Noon

Quote:

>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>Hash: SHA1


>about Re: Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?:

>[snip]
>>There's a Norn-Irish guy who works
>> for Sky, Bob Symonds I think is his name, who's commentary I quite
>> like.

>That would be Mark Robson, a.k.a. Robbo.  He has a strong Londonderry
>accent and says some quirky things, although many are nonsensical.

I guess quirky might cover what Robson can say. On occasion I have
found him as objectionable as Steve Smith used to be when ITV did the
world cups in I guess 95 and 99. Smith was a disgrace pretty much all
the time though, from memory. Robson just drops hefty bricks now and
again, which has put me off him a bit.

--

All the best
John Williams

 
 
 

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by admulhe.. » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 00:25:42


Quote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

> Hash: SHA1


> about Re: Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?:

> [snip]

> >There's a Norn-Irish guy who works

> > for Sky, Bob Symonds I think is his name, who's commentary I quite

> > like.

> That would be Mark Robson, a.k.a. Robbo.  He has a strong Londonderry

> accent and says some quirky things, although many are nonsensical.

Ah, yes, I stand corrected. He and Ieuan Evans seem to have a good relationship on the mic which is perhaps why I enjoy them more than the others.
--
Andy
 
 
 

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by Baldon » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 08:02:00


Quote:

>> He does tend to take over, and literally during the Italy Wales game. I

>> tuned in late and didn't even notice until they explained at half-time that

>> the commentator had been replaced with Davies, he's always hogging the mic

>> anyway with his whiny voice.

>> Brian Moore is getting just as bad, he sounds like a bitter ex-pro sitting

>> in a pub nursing a pint and tutting and criticising everything that's on the

>> pub's telly. Doesn't even bother finishing his sentence half the time. I

>> thought it was just him and Butler that hated each other, but he seems to

>> annoy every commentator he's working with. John Inverdale is a knob wih no

>> personality.

>> I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray

>> Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent

>> value.

> I used to think Nigel Starmer-Smith was bad until I heard John Taylor.
> There's a Norn-Irish guy who works  for Sky, Bob Symonds I think is his name,
> who's commentary I quite like.

Agreed John Taylor is ***y awful, too much education IMHO.

--
"Ce n'est qu'un d but, continuons le combat !"

Count Baldoni

 
 
 

Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?

Post by Andrew Dunfor » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:16:59


Quote:

>> I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
>> Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
>> value.

> I always appreciated Mexted, although many here didn't.  Justin Marshall
> is very good, IMO.  He really knows the game.

Marshall indeed has good knowledge of the game, but spoils this by not being
able to speak English.

Andrew