International rugby competition.

International rugby competition.

Post by Bill Tayl » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00


There have been a number of articles about welding together more or less
artificial teams from various regions, so I thought I'd have a turn too.

Another criterion that would be nice to aim for, would be getting together
a number of teams of more or less equal ability, especially considering
rugby's much wider range of abilities near the top, much wider than is usual
for international sports.

At the moment, it seems there are only three teams who are able to
compete on a fairly regular basis, with anything approaching equality;
though France and (to a lesser extent) England are not too far behind.
On the other hand, the Lions is an already existing amalgamation, which
is known to be able to compete with great credibility at the topmost level.

Putting all these ideas together, here is my idea for an international
competition of equals.  As it turns out, it comes down to 8 teams,
which is also the *ideal* number for various types of competition!
That seems like too good an opportunity to pass up as mere coinicidence;
not that I seriously expect these ideas (or anything similar) ever to be
put into practice.

So here goes:-

1. Australia

2. New Zealand

3. South Africa
                 These 3, (named merely in alphabetical order), are those
                 international sides capable of standing alone as such.

4. Lions (E,I,S,W)  or should that be W.I.S.E. the "wise teams",
                  already noted as being on a par with the above.

5. Europe        This would be mostly France, augmented by a minority of
                 Italians, with the occasional Romanian or even Iberian.

6. Pacifica      Samoa, Fiji and Tonga together, could probably come up
                 with a serious team, close to Lions standard.

7. Americas      Argentina, Canada, USA; both alphabetically and in
                 that order of merit, should be capable of producing
                 a similar team, perhaps with the odd Uruguayan thrown in.

8. Afro-Asia     The most mixed bag of all; and probably the clearly
                 weakest team.  But with a base of Zimbabweans, Namibians
                 and Japanese, together with the odd Moroccan or Korean,
                 might be capable of giving the other teams a fright.

The more mixed the bag, the more time they'd need to train together,
of course.     Still, it might be a lot of fun.

Anyone know Rupert M's phone number...?

============
Bonding Bill
============

 
 
 

International rugby competition.

Post by Booni » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:
>Putting all these ideas together, here is my idea for an international
>competition of equals.

Stick to Maths, Bill.

Boonie -                       (Please remove FEZ when replying)
Darts,Beer,Saracens Fez Boys - The 'Official' Website now at;
http://www.boonie.demon.co.uk (at version (0.1.9) 30/ 9/98)
VOTE FOR THE McNAB PICTURE - ALL ENTRIES GO INTO A PRIZE DRAW
(to be drawn at the back of the supporters bus to Swansea 3/10/98)

 
 
 

International rugby competition.

Post by Mark O' » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>There have been a number of articles about welding together more or less
>artificial teams from various regions, so I thought I'd have a turn too.
>1. Australia
>2. New Zealand
>3. South Africa
>4. Lions (E,I,S,W)
>5. Europe
>6. Pacifica      Samoa, Fiji and Tonga
>7. Americas      Argentina, Canada, USA
>8. Afro-Asia

Firstly, in regard to team 8, it truly is hard to imagine an Asian with an
Afro :-)

Secondly, this would be a great idea, the last 2 teams would both struggle,
but hopefully they would improve. As you say, it will never happen, but it
would be pretty good.

On a slightly more realistic note, I would like to see the top 2 teams in
both the 3N and 5N play in a knockout semi final / final
ie.

This year
The Semi Final

South Africa Vs England
Australia Vs France

The final may have been

South Africa Vs France

This would make the competition much more interesting

Speaking of much more interesting, play Aussie and SA twice a year can get a
little dull, I would like it expanded to include Samoa, Fiji, and different
invitation side each year (normally NH).
They teams could play each other once instead of twice. This would make for
a far more varied season.
I realise funds could be an issue for Samoa and Fiji, but if it was
organised well, this could be over come. They just wouldn't have that many
home games.

Cheers

Mark O'S

 
 
 

International rugby competition.

Post by <jkw.. » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>So here goes:-

>1. Australia

>2. New Zealand

>3. South Africa
>                 These 3, (named merely in alphabetical order), are those
>                 international sides capable of standing alone as such.

What about an amalgam of the three?

Quote:
>5. Europe        This would be mostly France, augmented by a minority of
>                 Italians, with the occasional Romanian or even Iberian.

>6. Pacifica      Samoa, Fiji and Tonga together, could probably come up
>                 with a serious team, close to Lions standard.

Include Japan in this. That way they'd be able to get some decent
sponsorship (iof their economy recovers)

Quote:
>7. Americas      Argentina, Canada, USA; both alphabetically and in
>                 that order of merit, should be capable of producing
>                 a similar team, perhaps with the odd Uruguayan thrown in.

Personally I'd prefer North America and South America, since the Southern
Cone tends to be superior

Quote:
>8. Afro-Asia     The most mixed bag of all; and probably the clearly
>                 weakest team.  But with a base of Zimbabweans, Namibians
>                 and Japanese, together with the odd Moroccan or Korean,
>                 might be capable of giving the other teams a fright.

I'd settle for Africa and East Asia. Africa would be almost entirely SAcan
and probably would lack people without melanin deficiencies.
Quote:
>The more mixed the bag, the more time they'd need to train together,
>of course.     Still, it might be a lot of fun.

 
 
 

International rugby competition.

Post by Jonathan Chapma » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:


>>So here goes:-

>>1. Australia

>>2. New Zealand

>>3. South Africa
>>                 These 3, (named merely in alphabetical order), are those
>>                 international sides capable of standing alone as such.

>What about an amalgam of the three?

What about explaining why you think that's ok but the Lions are mortally
offensive?

JC