AB's vs "Emerging England" and Saturday's Test Match

AB's vs "Emerging England" and Saturday's Test Match

Post by Tracey Nels » Tue, 18 Nov 1997 04:00:00




Quote:
>It seems that John Hart's gripes are justified regarding the
>'loading' of the midweek games with seasoned England players
>instead of up-and-comers. As one journo said, the only thing
>quite a few of these players are "emerging" from is the
>Lions tour to South Africa.

Obviously the Oxford Dictionary's definition of "emerging" has been changed
and we in the colonies have not yet been informed!  But did we really expect
anything less?

Quote:
>Well never mind, I personally think it is excellent that the
>AB midweekers have a good opponent to play, and assembling
>a scratch team is not necessarily going to mean they play
>up to their individual form on paper, as a unit. We'll see
>what we see - I expect the midweek team to be much tighter
>and more co-ordinated than we saw against Wales 'A'.

I too think that it will be a good challenge for the dirt-trackers, and as
many of them have a point to prove this is their chance against a strong team.

Quote:
>Looking to the test this coming weekend against England, I
>think the possibility I raised in my website match report on
>the Ireland test last Saturday of Jonah Lomu being recalled
>might well come about.

Agreed.  Osborne looked somewhat feeble both on attack and defence - and let's
face it, the England team are still having nightmares about Lomu, so the
mental factor alone is almost worth putting him in the team.

Quote:
> With Hart's
>eulogising over Blowers' performance against the Irish, I
>expect him to be named no matter what Kronfeld does. The
>issue is whether Josh can make the bench again.

Assuming that the AB's will take four forwards onto the bench again then there
may still be a place for Josh, although he really isn't an impact player.  
However, should the game be tight and Blowers is struggling, then Kronfeld
would be the ideal man to bring on the field.

Quote:
>Another issue is lock. With Robin Brooke maybe having injury
>problems, and Ian Jones not feauturing very prominently in
>general play at present, Mark Cooksley will have no doubt
>been given all the encouragment neccesary to put in a good
>one tomorrow.

Cooksley may very well make the bench if he turns in a good performance
tomorrow.  Kronfeld could well stay in the reserves because Randell covers No
8 if Zinny gets injured, Blowers could move to blindside and Kronfeld would go
to openside, so the loose forward positions are well covered.

Tracey.

 
 
 

AB's vs "Emerging England" and Saturday's Test Match

Post by Brett + Pauline Chapma » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
> It seems that John Hart's gripe

> Josh Kronfeld is also on the outer,

 With Hart's

Quote:
> eulogising over Blowers' performanc
> expect him to be named no matter what Kronfeld does.

I agree with all your points Paul , but I wonder if anyone else in the
world is getting
tired of John Harts "gripes" . I seem to remember Laurie Mains being
sledged here in
Auckland for making excuses , Hart makes his excuses before the ball is
kicked off .
Its not a good look , and not the AB way .
   I also wonder what Kronfeld has done to justify being relegated ,dropped
a few
chances ? Yep , but he was up there supporting in an extremely fast game .
It appears to me that Hart is a little too hasty ,to praise Blowers and it
was interesting to read that the Blowers family are very close to the
Joneses .Blowers is a great prospect , but honestly , what has he done this
year .
  Dont be surprised to see Carter on the bench ahead of Kronfeld .
  It blows Harts "players on form " selection policy to the weeds .
]
Cheers Brett

 
 
 

AB's vs "Emerging England" and Saturday's Test Match

Post by Brett + Pauline Chapma » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:


> > It seems that John Hart's gripe

> > Josh Kronfeld is also on the outer,

>  With Hart's
> > eulogising over Blowers' performanc
> > expect him to be named no matter what Kronfeld does.

 I agree with all your points Paul , but I wonder if anyone else in the
world is getting  tired of John Harts "gripes" . I seem to remember Laurie
Mains being sledged here in Auckland for making excuses , Hart makes his
excuses before the ball is kicked off . Its not a good look , and not the
AB way .                                     I also wonder what Kronfeld
has done to justify being relegated ,dropped a few  chances ? Yep , but he
was up there supporting in an extremely fast game .It appears to me that
Hart is a little too hasty ,to praise Blowers and it was interesting to
read that the Blowers family are very close to the Joneses .Blowers is a
great prospect , but honestly , what has he done this year .
 Dont be surprised to see Carter on the bench ahead of Kronfeld .
  It blows Harts "players on form " selection policy to the weeds .
 ]
 Cheers , Brett

 
 
 

AB's vs "Emerging England" and Saturday's Test Match

Post by M.J.Ratcli.. » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
>I agree with all your points Paul , but I wonder if anyone else in the
>world is getting
>tired of John Harts "gripes" . I seem to remember Laurie Mains being
>sledged here in
>Auckland for making excuses , Hart makes his excuses before the ball is
>kicked off .
>Its not a good look , and not the AB way .

Quite. While I feel the powers-that-be in England have been a little bit,
erm, liberal with the use of the word 'emerging', was Hart really
expecting to play a team of undergraduates? When anyone tours NZ, they
get to play Waikato, Auckland, Otago etc., whose players - quite rightly
- make things ***y difficult for the touring side and knock seven bells
out of them.

Max

 
 
 

AB's vs "Emerging England" and Saturday's Test Match

Post by John Bicke » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
>  I agree with all your points Paul , but I wonder if anyone else in the
> world is getting  tired of John Harts "gripes" . I seem to remember Laurie

    Not I.

Quote:
> Mains being sledged here in Auckland for making excuses , Hart makes his
> excuses before the ball is kicked off . Its not a good look , and not the

    Frankly, I think it's an excellent look. And remember that one
    difference between Hart and Mains is that Hart keeps winning (or
    at least not losing) even the unimportant mid-week games.

Quote:
> AB way .                                     I also wonder what Kronfeld
> has done to justify being relegated ,dropped a few  chances ? Yep , but he
> was up there supporting in an extremely fast game .It appears to me that

    He's dropped a few chances (I thought the momentum in the Ireland
    test was lost once he came on), but even more importantly he just
    hasn't had the games. Hence he is being given partial games, to
    ease him back into it. Just imagine the ***Kronfeld would get
    if he played a full game against tough opposition and ran out of
    puff before the finish, were Hart to play him before he's ready.

    I'd like to see Kronfeld come back to top play, because he does
    seem to get around more than Blowers, and is proven against teams
    like the SAfs, but he looks a bit worn and punch-drunk sometimes.

 
 
 

AB's vs "Emerging England" and Saturday's Test Match

Post by Brett Chapma » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00


Quote:


> > >I agree with all your points Paul , but I wonder if anyone else in the
> > >world is getting
> Hart's problem is that he wants to keep his top players safe and secure
> for the test matches. In the old days, were the AB's to strike
> formidable midweek opposition they'd mix and match their midweekers with
> some of the star players. Hart could strengthen the present midweek XV
> that way but he won't do it. So if they come a cropper, there's no good
> moaning. He had the chance to choose a stronger XV.

Hart is the 1st coach to have the luxury of a squad of 36 and another
luxury of tactical subs , infact the caoches input during a game is greater
than ever .
Instead of complaining constantly he should be getting on with the bizzo .

Brett

 
 
 

AB's vs "Emerging England" and Saturday's Test Match

Post by J » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:


> >I agree with all your points Paul , but I wonder if anyone else in the
> >world is getting
> >tired of John Harts "gripes" . I seem to remember Laurie Mains being
> >sledged here in
> >Auckland for making excuses , Hart makes his excuses before the ball is
> >kicked off .
> >Its not a good look , and not the AB way .

> Quite. While I feel the powers-that-be in England have been a little bit,
> erm, liberal with the use of the word 'emerging', was Hart really
> expecting to play a team of undergraduates? When anyone tours NZ, they
> get to play Waikato, Auckland, Otago etc., whose players - quite rightly
> - make things ***y difficult for the touring side and knock seven bells
> out of them.

> Max

-----------
Hart's problem is that he wants to keep his top players safe and secure
for the test matches. In the old days, were the AB's to strike
formidable midweek opposition they'd mix and match their midweekers with
some of the star players. Hart could strengthen the present midweek XV
that way but he won't do it. So if they come a cropper, there's no good
moaning. He had the chance to choose a stronger XV.