Ireland vs Wallabies (SPOILER)

Ireland vs Wallabies (SPOILER)

Post by Mike Am » Mon, 11 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Ireland               3       (0)
Wallabies        23      (6)

The rain was teeming down at Lansdowne Road as the Irish President,
looking more like a rugby groupie than a President, shook hands with the
players. A minute's silence for the rail disaster victims, then the
anthems and this important Pool E clash was ready to get under way.

Shaky start by the Wallabies but Matt Burke slotted a penalty after five
minutes to put Oz on the scoreboard after Ireland had conceded an
offside penalty under pressure.

Predictably there was quite a bit of kicking for the corners,
interspersed with highball as well as some big hits as early nerves were
tested. Matt Burke missed a couple of long-range shots but the phony war
of the first quarter came to an end with no real shots fired in anger.

A kick-ahead by Wood ignited a Wallaby counter, with Tune shredding the
Irish defence before unloading to Kefu, who made good ground before
linking with his support to take play into the Irish 22, where the
attack fizzled out.

The Wallabies were not really taking advantage of the breeze at their
backs, as Ireland defended grimly and threw in the odd counter. Eales
took over the place-kicking from Burke and slotted a second penalty but
that was the sum total of the scoring in the first half, despite the
Wallabies dominating the ruck and maul count by a wide margin; a
disappointing display by both teams and a dull first half.

Matt Burke succeeded with his second penalty soon after the start of the
second half but Wood came away on the counter and David Humphreys
slotted a three-pointer of his own, to open Ireland's account.

It was Ben Tune who sparked the first Aussie try with a short dart. His
quick layback was snapped up by Toutai Kefu, who burst away making good
ground up the centre before handing on to Richard Harry. Harry took on
the Irish defence in no uncertain terms, before going to ground where
Gregan got quick ball away to Timmy Horan for a great try under the
sticks.

Ten more minutes of nondescript play before good phase ball came back to
Gregan, who ran wide to open the hole, before delivering a perfect
backflip to Roff who made ground before handing on to Horan and and from
there to Ben Tune, who thundered over in the corner. Burke converted
and Oz led 23 - 3.

And that was about the ballgame. The Wallabies were never going to lose
this encounter and Ireland were never going to concede it without a
fight. Two great tries from Oz, otherwise an encounter that did not
really live up to it's high expectations.

 
 
 

Ireland vs Wallabies (SPOILER)

Post by Mees Roelo » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Ireland               3       (0)
>Wallabies        23      (6)

</snip>
Another excellent report here Mike.

About the match you can be short. It didn't come up to the high
expectations, but in fact this credits the Aussies. The particular
phrase is usually said when in fact one of the two teams didn't come
up to the high expectations and that the fierce battle just didn't
come. Even though a trashing was never to be, the Aussies never looked
like having difficulties with the Irish and in the end they came away
with a comfortable victory, after two excellent tries and good back
play in general.

It wasn't the 21+ victory, as someone predicted on this ng and
subsequently was qualified as stupid one-eyed Aussie, but it came
close. Good on them!

What surprised me was the Lansdowne Road crowd. Particularly in the
second half they kept on booing every decision the ref made in the
Wallabies' favour, even when it was the most obvious infringement by
the home team.

To make a slight variation to a well-known saying: That's not Rugby.

BTW: How's Eales? Will he be able to play on, after leaving the field
injured?

Mees Roelofs
Planet Pino * http://SportToday.org/
To reply replace ***ySpammers with Pino in address

 
 
 

Ireland vs Wallabies (SPOILER)

Post by Will Sutto » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

> >Ireland               3       (0)
> >Wallabies        23      (6)

> </snip>
> Another excellent report here Mike.

> About the match you can be short. It didn't come up to the high
> expectations, but in fact this credits the Aussies. The particular
> phrase is usually said when in fact one of the two teams didn't come
> up to the high expectations and that the fierce battle just didn't
> come. Even though a trashing was never to be, the Aussies never looked
> like having difficulties with the Irish and in the end they came away
> with a comfortable victory, after two excellent tries and good back
> play in general.

> It wasn't the 21+ victory, as someone predicted on this ng and
> subsequently was qualified as stupid one-eyed Aussie, but it came
> close. Good on them!

1 point out............pretty close

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

> What surprised me was the Lansdowne Road crowd. Particularly in the
> second half they kept on booing every decision the ref made in the
> Wallabies' favour, even when it was the most obvious infringement by
> the home team.

> To make a slight variation to a well-known saying: That's not Rugby.

> BTW: How's Eales? Will he be able to play on, after leaving the field
> injured?

> Mees Roelofs
> Planet Pino * http://SportToday.org/
> To reply replace ***ySpammers with Pino in address


 
 
 

Ireland vs Wallabies (SPOILER)

Post by Bill Tayl » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00

These are great summaries of yours, Mike!   Please keep it up!

Quote:

>  the Irish President,
>  looking more like a rugby groupie than a President,

I'll say!  I greatly admire the Irish taste in presidents.  Beats the rest
of the world hollow.  The previous one was no Karloff, either.

Very apt summary, and very apt final line...

Quote:
> The Wallabies were never going to lose
> this encounter and Ireland were never going to concede it without a
> fight. Two great tries from Oz, otherwise an encounter that did not
> really live up to it's high expectations.

Exactly right on all counts.   Neato.

I would like to add a comment.  This is nothing to do with the Kefu
fight; just a general comment that occurred slowly to me as the game
unfolded.  The Irish were just too plain ROUGH.   Sure the game is
physical, and we all like that aspect.  Yes, Gibbs has a point about
trying to clean out all the foul play too *assiduously*.  Yes, I've
always admired the raw-boned, uncompromising, in-your-face style of
the Irish, and still do.  But this time I think some went too far over
the top, and went from uncompromising physicality to a *reckless disregard*
for everyone's presumption of reasonable safety.   Sad.

===============
Wincing William
===============

 
 
 

Ireland vs Wallabies (SPOILER)

Post by Brian Devereu » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> >  the Irish President,
> >  looking more like a rugby groupie than a President,

> > The Wallabies were never going to lose
> > this encounter and Ireland were never going to concede it without a
> > fight. Two great tries from Oz, otherwise an encounter that did not
> > really live up to it's high expectations.

> Exactly right on all counts.   Neato.

But we didn't compete.  We were totally overmatched.

Quote:
> I would like to add a comment.  This is nothing to do with the Kefu
> fight; just a general comment that occurred slowly to me as the game
> unfolded.  The Irish were just too plain ROUGH.   Sure the game is
> physical, and we all like that aspect.  Yes, Gibbs has a point about
> trying to clean out all the foul play too *assiduously*.  Yes, I've
> always admired the raw-boned, uncompromising, in-your-face style of
> the Irish, and still do.  But this time I think some went too far over
> the top, and went from uncompromising physicality to a *reckless
disregard*
> for everyone's presumption of reasonable safety.   Sad.

Reckless?  Perhaps, but certainly stupid.  Brennan is a nutter and there was
a lot of niggle from both sides; we were being stuffed and frustrated in
every phase.  This frequently leads to the physical outbursts.  I go not
mind puches being thrown at all, as long as it is big boys against big
boys...I have thrown and received many.  But the high tackles were
disgraceful (not Herberts but Brennan and O'Sheas).  We lost he plot, had no
shape and were outclassed in every facet.

I agree with Gibbs.  How would Meads, Lochore, Loe, Shaw and Shelford view
the game now?