Auckland Tuff, Canterbury Impressive but

Auckland Tuff, Canterbury Impressive but

Post by Captain Moolo » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:38:33



Quote:


> > WaiiiiikatOOOOO absolutely awesome.
> > There'd be pleas of greatness if either Canterbury or
> > Auckland held the log for 21 straight victories.

> Well excuuuuussssseee me but Waikato have only just equalled Hawkes
> Bay's tally.

> --
> Kees
> Supporting Entertaining Hawkes Bay Rugby
> Ranfurly Shield Holders 1922-27, 1967-69
> "Sprinkle, sprinkle, little star"

Sorry Mate I thought we were talking about this life time.
But yes Hawkes Bay do have a rightful place in our Rugby
history.  But what of the future, it's a bit of a worry when
players from their top club team wont play for them
cause their coach is too tough.  Cowboy could probably
still play for the Bay.
 
 
 

Auckland Tuff, Canterbury Impressive but

Post by Kees Ech » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:56:39


Quote:
> That reminds me, will teams get promoted and relegated this year?

Dunno, I guess the teams have to go through the usual process of
applying to the NZRFU at the end of the season ie fill out 5,000 forms
and then be told that they aren't 'financially viable' while the NZRFU
keeps a straight face when they announce that Southland are to stay in
the top division.

Kees

 
 
 

Auckland Tuff, Canterbury Impressive but

Post by Kees Ech » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:04:50


Quote:
> Sorry Mate I thought we were talking about this life time.
> But yes Hawkes Bay do have a rightful place in our Rugby
> history.  But what of the future, it's a bit of a worry when
> players from their top club team wont play for them
> cause their coach is too tough.  Cowboy could probably
> still play for the Bay.

LOL, yes he'd only have to be on the paddock for 5 mins and the
opposition pack would be softened up just right. Cowboy would have
trouble trying to fit into a number 6 jersey though....

Kees

 
 
 

Auckland Tuff, Canterbury Impressive but

Post by Roger Ki » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:03:05

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:56:36 +1200, "Captain Mooloo"

Quote:

>I really can't wait for Canterbury.  They must start as favourites but
>with 25000 screaming cowbell clanging supporters we wont roll
>over for you lot.  It'll be one hell of a game.

The game of the year ..
 
 
 

Auckland Tuff, Canterbury Impressive but

Post by Bobs » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:08:36

Quote:



> > That reminds me, will teams get promoted and relegated this year?

> Dunno, I guess the teams have to go through the usual process of
> applying to the NZRFU at the end of the season ie fill out 5,000 forms
> and then be told that they aren't 'financially viable' while the NZRFU
> keeps a straight face when they announce that Southland are to stay in
> the top division.

Good call. Maybe they dont want to upset the balance of the Super 12
franchises? Afterall, if Counties get relegated, it means either the Blues
or Chiefs will have one less first division team to get drafts from.

I will be very annoyed if Counties get relegated this year. It is unfair
on them when Southland should hae been relegated last year and still look
the weakest team this year. More mainland bias, and you can take that one
to the bank.

Quote:

> Kees

 
 
 

Auckland Tuff, Canterbury Impressive but

Post by Dred » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:41:38

Quote:
> I will be very annoyed if Counties get relegated this year. It is unfair
> on them when Southland should hae been relegated last year and still look
> the weakest team this year. More mainland bias, and you can take that one
> to the bank.

hmmmm, southland has run close against taranaki, auckland and waikato, beat
counties, southland have landed 24 penalties with wellington coming second
on 13, now why is everyone infringing against southland all the time?? and
how many southland games have you seen this year??
 
 
 

Auckland Tuff, Canterbury Impressive but

Post by Kees Ech » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:50:33


Quote:
> I will be very annoyed if Counties get relegated this year. It is
>unfair on them when Southland should hae been relegated last year and
>still look the weakest team this year. More mainland bias, and you can
>take that one to the bank.

When the NPC first started out it was made up of 7 North Island teams &
4 South Island teams. At the end of each season the lowest finishing
North Island team was relegated while the bottom placed South Island
team played off with the top South Island second division team, which
meant that there would always be 4 South island teams in the top
division. Naturally this turned out to be a farce when Taranaki were
relegated in 1979 even though they had finished the season higher than
three South Island teams.

Despite Southland's awful NPC record over the last few seasons, the
NZRFU seem determined to keep them at the top level. One year they
suddenly decide that relegation will no longer apply even though
Southland finish last. Another season they tell the Central Vikings that
they can't be promoted because they aren't a provincial side as such but
maybe next season. (Then they get disbanded). Now you have to apply for
first division status even if you win the second division.

I bet if Counties finish last, the NZRFU wont be so hesitant in
replacing them with a team like Bay of Plenty or Hawkes Bay.

Kees

 
 
 

Auckland Tuff, Canterbury Impressive but

Post by Bobs » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:02:36

Quote:

> > I will be very annoyed if Counties get relegated this year. It is unfair
> > on them when Southland should hae been relegated last year and still look
> > the weakest team this year. More mainland bias, and you can take that one
> > to the bank.

> hmmmm, southland has run close against taranaki, auckland and waikato, beat
> counties, southland have landed 24 penalties with wellington coming second
> on 13, now why is everyone infringing against southland all the time?? and
> how many southland games have you seen this year??

Three tries to one sound familier?

Last place by miles in 1999 sound familier?

Dolly awaits you.

 
 
 

Auckland Tuff, Canterbury Impressive but

Post by Bobs » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:05:20

Quote:



> > I will be very annoyed if Counties get relegated this year. It is
> >unfair on them when Southland should hae been relegated last year and
> >still look the weakest team this year. More mainland bias, and you can
> >take that one to the bank.

> When the NPC first started out it was made up of 7 North Island teams &
> 4 South Island teams. At the end of each season the lowest finishing
> North Island team was relegated while the bottom placed South Island
> team played off with the top South Island second division team, which
> meant that there would always be 4 South island teams in the top
> division. Naturally this turned out to be a farce when Taranaki were
> relegated in 1979 even though they had finished the season higher than
> three South Island teams.

> Despite Southland's awful NPC record over the last few seasons, the
> NZRFU seem determined to keep them at the top level. One year they
> suddenly decide that relegation will no longer apply even though
> Southland finish last. Another season they tell the Central Vikings that
> they can't be promoted because they aren't a provincial side as such but
> maybe next season. (Then they get disbanded). Now you have to apply for
> first division status even if you win the second division.

> I bet if Counties finish last, the NZRFU wont be so hesitant in
> replacing them with a team like Bay of Plenty or Hawkes Bay.

I am in full agreement with you right there, Mr Kees. Well said, and I think
there are some very abashed mainlanders reading your post right about now.
Lets all hope they grow up and face the facts.

Good call.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

> Kees

 
 
 

Auckland Tuff, Canterbury Impressive but

Post by Rob Wallac » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:19:40

Quote:

> That reminds me, will teams get promoted and relegated this year?

No, there's no automatic promotion.

Makes you wonder what the point of winning Div2 really is.

Rob