Channel 4 to feature club game

Channel 4 to feature club game

Post by Mark Postle-Haco » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00


Channel 4 to feature club game
By Mick Cleary

CLUB rugby will be back on terrestrial television in the new yearChannel 4
are to show a one-hour programme on Saturday mornings, which will feature a
review of issues and matches as well as previewing the action of the
weekend. Bath and England centre Jeremy Guscott has been approached to front
the show and there are plans for 22 programmes beginning on Jan 2.
The BBC have secured secondary rights to the live club action of the
weekend. Sunday Grandstand will be able to use footage from BSkyB's live
coverage of the previous day, as well as having the opportunity to show
edited highlights from matches on Sundays.
A 40-minute package is envisaged but the BBC have not yet made any firm
commitment as to when their coverage might begin. The beginning of February
is a likely start date.
The joint deal is a triumph for the Rugby Football Union's new chief
executive, Francis Baron. One of his stated objectives on taking office two
months ago was to find a terrestrial outlet for domestic rugby. Channel 5's
Rugby Express did not get off the ground this season due to lack of funding.
BSkyB are in the middle of a five-year 87.5 million deal. They have live
rights to all England's matches at Twickenham as well as Allied Dunbar and
Tetley's Bitter Cup matches. However, they have actively sought a
terrestrial partner.
Neither the Channel 4 nor the BBC deal is yet formally signed, though
confirmation is expected within the next few days. "We've always tried to
work with the RFU in providing a terrestrial platform for club rugby," said
Sky Sports managing director Vic Wakeling. "We've been talking to various
interested parties about possible deals."
Wakeling's former right-hand man, Mark Sharman, has recently taken over at
Channel 4. That channel's sporting portfolio has been greatly enhanced with
the securing of the rights to Test cricket. The secondary rights will not
cost either Channel 4 or BBC a king's ransom.
The Channel 4 programme will go out at 11am. It will be prerecorded and will
be shot on location.
The financial turmoil among the top English clubs continued yesterday when
West Hartlepool, the bottom club in the Allied Dunbar Premiership, announced
cutbacks aimed at saving 400,000 this season. West are looking to reduce a
senior squad of 36 to about 22 players.

 
 
 

Channel 4 to feature club game

Post by Ian Diddam » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> CLUB rugby will be back on terrestrial television in the new
> yearChannel 4 are to show a one-hour programme on Saturday mornings,
> which will feature a review of issues and matches as well as
> previewing the action of the weekend.

Excellent news.  Anythuing is better than nought (but I'm sure I'll be
slating the prog at a later date, such is my fickleness... ;-)

Quote:
> Bath and England centre Jeremy Guscott has been approached to front
> the show

Do RFU/IRB "rules" allow such a thing?  Gladiators is one thuing -
hosting a show about rugby which may have to deral with controversial
issues quite another I would have thought.  How could he for instance as
a bath player, have discussed the yates incident last year w/o
compromising his position?

Quote:
> and there are plans for 22 programmes beginning on Jan 2.
> The BBC have secured secondary rights to the live club action of the
> weekend. Sunday Grandstand will be able to use footage from BSkyB's
> live coverage of the previous day, as well as having the opportunity
> to show edited highlights from matches on Sundays.

It gets better...  not a lot... but better.  Hopefully the highlights
etc however will be better presented than last saturday's ***by the
ITV.

--
Didds
Xmas is coming - Mobile phone deals amd PC's at low cost for that
perfect present!!

 
 
 

Channel 4 to feature club game

Post by Mees Roelo » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>> and there are plans for 22 programmes beginning on Jan 2.
>> The BBC have secured secondary rights to the live club action of the
>> weekend. Sunday Grandstand will be able to use footage from BSkyB's
>> live coverage of the previous day, as well as having the opportunity
>> to show edited highlights from matches on Sundays.

>It gets better...  not a lot... but better.  Hopefully the highlights
>etc however will be better presented than last saturday's ***by the
>ITV.

The Beeb has always been better than ITV, so that won't be too
difficult.

In the end this is also great news for Rugby fans all over Europe,
since the Beeb is widespread on cable systems over the continent.
Finally I'll have the opportunity to see non-test-rugby on the tv.

And still to follow (I hope):
* France 2 on the Rotterdam cable with French Rugby
* New Dutch tv station 'Fox' to relay about every game Murdoch has
bought the rights for.

Mees Roelofs
To reply replace ***ySpammers with Geocities in address

 
 
 

Channel 4 to feature club game

Post by Dick Jame » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> In the end this is also great news for Rugby fans all over Europe,
> since the Beeb is widespread on cable systems over the continent.
> Finally I'll have the opportunity to see non-test-rugby on the tv.

You might be out of luck as CH 4 is not a BBC channel. I don't know if
it's seen on the continent - it isn't in most of wales.
--

Dick James

 
 
 

Channel 4 to feature club game

Post by Nigel Evan » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00



Quote:
>You might be out of luck as CH 4 is not a BBC channel. I don't know if
>it's seen on the continent - it isn't in most of wales.

                   Channel 4 is now broadcast by satellite as a digital
transmission. The Welsh version, S4C, is scheduled to "go digital"
around about 15 January 1999. So, they should be able to get it in
Holland. Of course, they'll need a decoder.
--
Nigel Evans
 
 
 

Channel 4 to feature club game

Post by Nigel Thoma » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>You might be out of luck as CH 4 is not a BBC channel. I don't know if
>it's seen on the continent - it isn't in most of wales.
>--

>Dick James

But S4C show a live match most Saturdays, including European Cup matches.