Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by a_wi » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:01:24


15. Howlett vs Lewsey

Lewsey by a whisker...

Runs better lines, a more natural full-back, much better kicker, solid
under high-ball...

Howlett's lack of experience playing #15 at test level...will be
exposed by Wilko's tactical kicking.

14. Rocko vs Robinson

Robinson...

Faster (over 20-30), better step, underated defence... Rocko's lack of
experience at test level...

13. Nonu vs Greenwood

Greenwood...

Nonu will surprise but Greenwood is no slouch and is quite underrated.

12. Umaga vs Tindall

Umaga by a country mile...

11. Ralph vs Cohen

Close one to call....i'll make it even-stevens...

10. Spenser vs Wilkinson

This will upset Bobs but I suspect Wilko will out do Spencer...

I just PRAY that Wilko's shoulder will hold up the whole game...for
the sake of the contest that is...

9. Marshall vs Dawson

I call this one even with no player totally dominating. Although
Marshal might give crapper service to Spencer - hence the above
prediction..

8. So'oiolo vs Dallaglio

So'oiolo will be quicker and it will tell - unless he tires in which
case i give it to Dallaglio

7. McCaw vs Back

McCaw will be up for it...I give it to him..

6. Thorne vs Hill

Hill by a country mile...let's hope he's full recovered from his
injury though (once again for the sake of the contest)...

5. Williams vs Kay

Kay...

4. Jack vs Johnson

Johnson...although Jack will hold his own...

3. Somerville vs Leonard

Somerville...

2. Oliver vs Thompson

Oliver....except on the throwing...

1. Hewett vs Rowntree

Rowntree will give Hewett a good working over..

 
 
 

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by Bobs » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:00:40

Quote:

> 15. Howlett vs Lewsey

> Lewsey by a whisker...

> Runs better lines, a more natural full-back, much better kicker, solid
> under high-ball...

> Howlett's lack of experience playing #15 at test level...will be
> exposed by Wilko's tactical kicking.

Howlett played at FB for most of the S12. He is more than able to play
FB to a high test standard. He will be a match for Lewsey.

Quote:

> 14. Rocko vs Robinson

> Robinson...

> Faster (over 20-30),

Roko is the fastest in NZ over 40m.

Quote:
> better step, underated defence... Rocko's lack of
> experience at test level...

I would go for Robinsion, but not because of speed. Just experience.

Quote:

> 13. Nonu vs Greenwood

> Greenwood...

> Nonu will surprise but Greenwood is no slouch and is quite underrated.

> 12. Umaga vs Tindall

> Umaga by a country mile...

> 11. Ralph vs Cohen

> Close one to call....i'll make it even-stevens...

Ralph is a journeyman. Cohen to kill him.

Quote:

> 10. Spenser vs Wilkinson

> This will upset Bobs but I suspect Wilko will out do Spencer...

> I just PRAY that Wilko's shoulder will hold up the whole game...for
> the sake of the contest that is...

If Spencer gets good pill, he'll destroy anyone. No one in the SH has
been close to him this year. We will see if Wilkinson can do.

Quote:

> 9. Marshall vs Dawson

> I call this one even with no player totally dominating. Although
> Marshal might give crapper service to Spencer - hence the above
> prediction..

Meg plays good enough to get in the AB's, and then plays shit. I expect
to see a return to the status quo this weekend.

Quote:

> 8. So'oiolo vs Dallaglio

> So'oiolo will be quicker and it will tell - unless he tires in which
> case i give it to Dallaglio

> 7. McCaw vs Back

> McCaw will be up for it...I give it to him..

> 6. Thorne vs Hill

> Hill by a country mile...let's hope he's full recovered from his
> injury though (once again for the sake of the contest)...

Thorne's so far out of his league, I'd rather have Scab at #6.

Quote:

> 5. Williams vs Kay

> Kay...

Williams

Quote:

> 4. Jack vs Johnson

> Johnson...although Jack will hold his own...

Even

Quote:

> 3. Somerville vs Leonard

> Somerville...

Leonard

Quote:

> 2. Oliver vs Thompson

> Oliver....except on the throwing...

> 1. Hewett vs Rowntree

> Rowntree will give Hewett a good working over..

--
It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the
press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to
demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and
whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the
flag

 
 
 

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by Alan Luchet » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:35:58


Quote:
> 15. Howlett vs Lewsey

> Lewsey by a whisker...

> Runs better lines, a more natural full-back, much better kicker, solid
> under high-ball...

> Howlett's lack of experience playing #15 at test level...will be
> exposed by Wilko's tactical kicking.

> 14. Rocko vs Robinson

> Robinson...

> Faster (over 20-30), better step, underated defence... Rocko's lack of
> experience at test level...

> 13. Nonu vs Greenwood

> Greenwood...

> Nonu will surprise but Greenwood is no slouch and is quite underrated.

Physical mismatch.  Nonu will cream him in attack and defence.

Quote:
> 12. Umaga vs Tindall

> Umaga by a country mile...

> 11. Ralph vs Cohen

> Close one to call....i'll make it even-stevens...

Cohen is to Ralph as Nonu is to Greenwood.  Bigger faster stonger.

Quote:
> 10. Spencer vs Wilkinson

> This will upset Bobs but I suspect Wilko will out do Spencer...

> I just PRAY that Wilko's shoulder will hold up the whole game...for
> the sake of the contest that is...

Classic confrontation - method v madness.  Spencer with the bigger
repertoire, but will he employ it wisely?

Quote:
> 9. Marshall vs Dawson

> I call this one even with no player totally dominating. Although
> Marshal might give crapper service to Spencer - hence the above
> prediction..

Both snipe well - Dawson passes better.  If Spencer looks bad, I agree
that Marshall will be mainly to blame.

Quote:
> 8. So'oialo vs Dallaglio

> So'oiolo will be quicker and it will tell - unless he tires in which
> case i give it to Dallaglio

Huge mismatch in pace.  They'll both tire and be replaced.

Quote:
> 7. McCaw vs Back

> McCaw will be up for it...I give it to him..

By a country mile.  NZ have a big edge in midfield and only a slightly
lesser edge at 7-8.

Quote:
> 6. Thorne vs Hill

> Hill by a country mile...let's hope he's full recovered from his
> injury though (once again for the sake of the contest)...

> 5. Williams vs Kay

> Kay...

Even

Quote:
> 4. Jack vs Johnson

> Johnson...although Jack will hold his own...

Dead even, but Jack adds to NZ's pace advantage.  Apart from Thorne,
the NZ pack is uniformly quicker than England.  England will therefore
run out of puff sooner, much as the Lions pack did on their Aus tour.
NZ to win the 2nd half convincingly.  Their critical task is to stay
in touch for the first 50 minutes.

Quote:
> 3. Somerville vs Leonard

> Somerville...

> 2. Oliver vs Thompson

> Oliver....except on the throwing...

> 1. Hewett vs Rowntree

> Rowntree will give Hewett a good working over..

Even

 
 
 

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by Ben Cleg » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 01:03:41


<<stuf deleted>>

Quote:
> > 15. Howlett vs Lewsey

> > Lewsey by a whisker...

> > Runs better lines, a more natural full-back, much better kicker, solid
> > under high-ball...

> > Howlett's lack of experience playing #15 at test level...will be
> > exposed by Wilko's tactical kicking.

In terms of experience though it is a very similar story with Lewsey,
who doesn't start at fullback regularly for his club (Wasps). Lewsey
might bring all the dimensions England want, especially in terms of
lines of running, but he's still an unknown quantity at international
level.

Quote:
> > 13. Nonu vs Greenwood
> > 12. Umaga vs Tindall

Greenwood will play inside center with Tindall outside center (despite
the numbers on their backs).

      Cheers,

         Ben

 
 
 

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by Mr Sceb » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 04:35:50


Quote:
> > 3. Somerville vs Leonard

> > Somerville...

> Leonard

It reminds me of when Loe came up against one of the Australians who'd been
mouthing him before the match (i think it was MacKenzie). As the first scrum
went down, he said:
"Gidday Fatso, i hear you've been saying things in the Press" and proceeded
to talk him through a scrumming lesson - "Now we go up", "Now we go down".
"Now i wheel you to the right", "now i buckle you". It was a sight to
behold.

I expect Leonard will be reaching for the cardiac pills before half-time.

--
Mr Scebe
"Personally i think you're a ***ing idiot"
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

 
 
 

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by rick bo » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:42:11



Quote:
>It reminds me of when Loe came up against one of the Australians who'd been
>mouthing him before the match (i think it was MacKenzie). As the first scrum
>went down, he said:
>"Gidday Fatso, i hear you've been saying things in the Press" and proceeded
>to talk him through a scrumming lesson - "Now we go up", "Now we go down".
>"Now i wheel you to the right", "now i buckle you". It was a sight to
>behold.

You were there in the scrum with him were you Tubby?

Quote:
>I expect Leonard will be reaching for the cardiac pills before half-time.

Unlikely. If we compete I will be happy.

-- rick boyd

 
 
 

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by Brad Anto » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:00:28


snip.

I'm more concerned with the sum of the component parts and how that works
out.
Brad

 
 
 

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by Bulld » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:30:16

Scebe you really know *** all about rugby don't you ?
 
 
 

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by Devereu » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:19:37


Quote:


> >It reminds me of when Loe came up against one of the Australians who'd
been
> >mouthing him before the match (i think it was MacKenzie). As the first
scrum
> >went down, he said:
> >"Gidday Fatso, i hear you've been saying things in the Press" and
proceeded
> >to talk him through a scrumming lesson - "Now we go up", "Now we go
down".
> >"Now i wheel you to the right", "now i buckle you". It was a sight to
> >behold.

> You were there in the scrum with him were you Tubby?

Shit, he PREDICTED it!.. and before the game too.
 
 
 

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by isimel » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:08:38

Quote:



> > > 3. Somerville vs Leonard

> > > Somerville...

> > Leonard

> It reminds me of when Loe came up against one of the Australians who'd been
> mouthing him before the match (i think it was MacKenzie). As the first scrum
> went down, he said:
> "Gidday Fatso, i hear you've been saying things in the Press" and proceeded
> to talk him through a scrumming lesson - "Now we go up", "Now we go down".
> "Now i wheel you to the right", "now i buckle you". It was a sight to
> behold.

<snip>

Right opposing team, wrong opponent.  That's what Loe said to Paul
Carroza when describing the arc that
his elbow was going to take before buckling Carroza's nose.

 
 
 

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by Matt Neilso » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:14:07


Quote:

> > > 13. Nonu vs Greenwood

> > > 12. Umaga vs Tindall

> Greenwood will play inside center with Tindall outside
center (despite
> the numbers on their backs).

Tindall known for his defence Ben? I've not heard much about
him - and I'm sure we would have if he was a scintillating
attacking centre :)

Cheers, AMtt

 
 
 

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by Mr Sceb » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:10:12


Quote:
> Scebe you really know *** all about rugby don't you ?

Yeah sure, whatever you say. Laurie was telling me all about this story when
we were having a beer the other night, and recounting some of the great
moments in AB rugby over the last 15 years.

--
Mr Scebe
"Personally i think you're a ***ing idiot"
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

 
 
 

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by Ian Dale » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:28:48


Quote:



> > Scebe you really know *** all about rugby don't you ?

> Yeah sure, whatever you say. Laurie was telling me all about this story
when
> we were having a beer the other night, and recounting some of the great
> moments in AB rugby over the last 15 years.

Does your mum ever get tired of bleaching your sheets?
 
 
 

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by rick bo » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:05:00



Quote:
>Shit, he PREDICTED it!.. and before the game too.

Settle down Dev. Your'e starting to sound like an Irish Mowissey.

-- rick boyd

 
 
 

Eng vs NZ : The Player Match-Ups

Post by Devere » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:34:40

Quote:


> > 13. Nonu vs Greenwood

> > Greenwood...

> > Nonu will surprise but Greenwood is no slouch and is quite underrated.

> Physical mismatch.  Nonu will cream him in attack and defence.

Greenwood invariably lines up at inside center nowadays and prefers
that position.  So, he will probably be up against Umaga.  This will
be a fabulous contest. IMO, he's probably the best inside center in
Europe and a key supporting pivot for England.  He got the better of
Traille in their 6N's clash in February and doesn't go missing in big
games.

As one poster has aleady pointed out, Greenwood is adept at finding
his support runners after contact.  Umaga is simply a force, just a
tremendous rugby player and his power will negate much of Greenwood's
ability in the tackle, but Greenwod can be expected to run excellent
lines for Tindall and Nonu might find himself being tested early.  On
the occasions I have seen Nonu play, his defensive work rate was high
but I got the impression that he might be vulnerable on his outside
shoulder and Greenwood is good enough to put the ball where he needs
to test him out.