Boks - different from 97

Boks - different from 97

Post by Ferd » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00


advantage

Although the Bok team leaving for the UK this weekend is basically the
same as the team that played there briefly end of last year, there are
a number of differences.

I would say they are the following:

On full back: Percy Montgomery has matured into a good full back. He
has always run well and had great ball handling skills (teams that
fell for the perception that he is shaky under the high ball have
quickly stopped testing him this year).
To this he had added the ability to kick the ball very far and with
great accuracy.
He can drive the opposition very far back with huge kicks.

On the wing James Small is gone. In his place is Stefan Terreblanche.
A fastish wing that can run very evasively. A great body swerve
executed subtly in the tackle and a good sense of where he is. He has
been off form in the Currie Cup - but played for a team that got very
little chance to run.

Inside center: Last year*** Muir was in the team. He was replaced
this year with Pieter Muller - who had since to withdraw from the
team.
It will be interesting to see who Mallett will play there. Probably
Franco Smith. He played no 10 against Ireland middle of the year and
is the reserve fly half. He has developed great a defense and is a
very good distributer of the ball. A bit short on real speed, but has
a good eye for the gap.

The locks will we Andrews and Otto again. Venter might move from flank
to lock in the last 20 minutes of the tests again.

The front row: Os du Randt is missing. The front three will probably
be Garvy, Dalton and Robbie Kempson (good and strong scrummer) with
Ollie le Roux coming on as replacement in the last 20 minutes - he is
big and round and loves to run - and has surprising speed.
Owen Nkumane might possibly replace Dalton in the last 20 minutes. He
is a very robust player, good driver across the advantage line and
hard tackler.

Loose forwards: Teichman will play all 80 minutes. The incumbent
flanks are Venter and Erasmus. The problem is Bobby Skinstad who made
huge strides this year - to the point that it is probably a bad idea
not to have him in the starting line up. He is about 6 foot 3 and very
fast. Great handling skills and a wonderful feel for where and how the
game is developing. On a good day he can make tries and score a few
too.
Up to now, he came on as a last 20 minutes replacement for Venter with
Venter moving to lock and Andrews coming off.
If Skinstad starts the tests, Venter MIGHT be on the bench. Or be in
the team on lock with Andrews on the bench.

The Bok team will probably try to be a team that moves fast around the
field rather than one that tries to bind opposition down.

They will probably also try the nuclear bomb defensive tactic that
worked so well in the tri nations. That is they will probably try to
tackle very aggressively behind the advantage line and will probably
again utilise defensive channels - where players see to it that
channels parallel to the touchlines are covered all over the field.

How wet fields will influence this all, remains to be seen.

What sort of game will England play?

 
 
 

Boks - different from 97

Post by Natasha Meye » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:
> Owen Nkumane might possibly replace Dalton in the last 20 minutes. He

  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ek weet nog nie hoe hy bo Chris Rossouw kon gekies word vir die Toerspan
nie. Hy't nie eers 'n goeie Vodacom Reeks wedstryd gehad nie. Dalk neuk die
NSC nou te ver in die Springbok kamp in.

Quote:
> Loose forwards: Teichman will play all 80 minutes. The incumbent

En wat van Andre Vos ? Hy sal seker ook uitskyn wanneer hy die kans kry om
saam met 'n wenspan te speel.

Mooiloop,
Natasha
--
-------------------------------------------------------------------
NATASHA MEYER
PRETORIA, SUID-AFRIKA (NUUT)
http://www.internetjump.com/natasha
-------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Boks - different from 97

Post by Ferd » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00



<<.> Owen Nkumane might possibly replace Dalton in the last 20
minutes. He

Quote:
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Ek weet nog nie hoe hy bo Chris Rossouw kon gekies word vir die Toerspan
>nie. Hy't nie eers 'n goeie Vodacom Reeks wedstryd gehad nie. Dalk neuk die
>NSC nou te ver in die Springbok kamp in.>>

Dis bietjie AA, ja. Maar Owen is nog jonk - belegging vir die toekoms
- en hy is n moerse goeie haker. Sy plek is nie net window dressing
nie.
Speel baie soos Jannie Brooks, maar ek dink hy is bietjie groter.
n Mens merk hom rerig op as hy speel. Hy maak impak.
Rossouw het n raw deal van 1995 af. Ongelukkig het SA op die oomblik
baie goeie hakers.

<<>> Loose forwards: Teichman will play all 80 minutes. The incumbent

Quote:

>En wat van Andre Vos ? Hy sal seker ook uitskyn wanneer hy die kans kry om
>saam met 'n wenspan te speel.>>

Ek hou van Vos, maar hy staan bietjie agter in die tou op die oomblik,
reken ek.

 
 
 

Boks - different from 97

Post by rick boy » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> > Owen Nkumane might possibly replace Dalton in the last 20 minutes. He
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Ek weet nog nie hoe hy bo Chris Rossouw kon gekies word vir die Toerspan
> nie. Hy't nie eers 'n goeie Vodacom Reeks wedstryd gehad nie. Dalk neuk die
> NSC nou te ver in die Springbok kamp in.

> > Loose forwards: Teichman will play all 80 minutes. The incumbent

> En wat van Andre Vos ? Hy sal seker ook uitskyn wanneer hy die kans kry om
> saam met 'n wenspan te speel.

I was quite interested in this analysis up to this point.

Translation: Fascination displayed myself towards examination particular this
instance to until present temp***moment arrived at.

-- Rick Boyd (monolinguistic bastard)

Perth-Bayswater Rugby Union Football Club, Western Australia
club homepage: http://SportToday.org/~boyd/perth-baysw.htm

 
 
 

Boks - different from 97

Post by Bryan R » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:
>On full back: Percy Montgomery has matured into a good full back. He

agreed here, is he the Springbok kicker now? I though Honiball did ok
there, but Montgomery seems to have improved by leaps and bounds in
this department.

Quote:
>On the wing James Small is gone. In his place is Stefan Terreblanche.

I'm afraid we've seen the last of James Small in the Springboks
jersey. Too bad. I rather enjoyed watching him play. Terblanche is a
wonderful attacking player, but his defence is sometimes suspect, and
his positioning needs work, but a great prospect. I still like Chester
Williams.

Quote:
>this year with Pieter Muller - who had since to withdraw from the

Muller is a wonderful tackler and sound attacking player, but I
personally like Japie Mulder, though he is also injured right now. I
think Franco Smith will likely be the no12 for now, though you never
know, Robbie Fleck or Christian Stewart (Canadian defector!!!) might
get the call. Smith is a good distributor and his defense, like you
said, has improved markedly.

Quote:
>The locks will we Andrews and Otto again. Venter might move from flank
>to lock in the last 20 minutes of the tests again.

You're probably right, though Andrews and Otto are both superb lock
forwards. May well be Venter starting at lock, however, as it seems
very unlikely that Bobby Skinstad won't be starting. He's 195cm (6'5")
and 105kg (230lbs) with silky ball handling skills and backline pace
and a solid option in the lineout. A marvellous talent. Capable of
playing openside, but not yet the ballwinner that Erasmus or Krige or
Aitken or even Kruger is. Not sure what Mallett will do about this
situation, but it's a nice problem to have, having too much talent.

Quote:
>The front row: Os du Randt is missing. The front three will probably

When is he coming back? The best prop in the world is sorely missed.
Garvey is a very good prop, but why doesn't Ollie le Roux learn to
play tighthead as well? That would improve his chances of making the
test team, because as it is he's going to be dropped when du Randt
returns, because Kempson plays both loose or tighthead. I think Os can
play tighthead as well, but I'm sure Mallett won't want to***
around with the big man. A haven't yet seen Nkumane play, I am looking
forward to it. Maybe a good alternative to Dalton? As you can tell, I
am not a James Dalton fan. He is a great talent, but a bad attitude.
I'd play Drotske over Dalton solely based on attitude.

England will probably try to emulate the South African style, but
England's tackling in the backs isn't near as good, and they don't
have nearly the power that the Boks do. The forwards should perform
well though, but I can't see the English backline, especially the
smallish back three, holding off the Boks for 80 minutes.

Bryan Ray

 
 
 

Boks - different from 97

Post by Mike Am » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Muller is a wonderful tackler and sound attacking player, but I
>personally like Japie Mulder, though he is also injured right now. I
>think Franco Smith will likely be the no12 for now, though you never
>know, Robbie Fleck or Christian Stewart (Canadian defector!!!) might
>get the call. Smith is a good distributor and his defense, like you
>said, has improved markedly.

You have certainly done your homework on rugby players around the
world Bryan. Franco Smith will almost certainly be the Boks first
choice at #12.

Japie Mulder is very strong on both defence and attack but is not a
good distributor from the inside centre position and AFAIK has never
played there. Robbie Fleck is also a far better performer at #13 and
unlikely to ever be considered at #12.

Christian Stewart can hardly be termed a defector either. His uncle,
Dave Stewart, was a WP and Bok centre in past years and Christian at
the age of 32 has belatedly followed in his footsteps, thanks entirely
to his recent performances for WP in the #10 jersey.

Thanks to a Canadian-born mother (I think) he was indeed co-opted into
the Canadian team for RWC '91 and '95. Wonderfully well-treated too by
all accounts, but hardly a defector. More a loan returnee, I would
say! :o)

Cheers
Mike

 
 
 

Boks - different from 97

Post by Natasha Meye » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> I was quite interested in this analysis up to this point.
> Translation: Fascination displayed myself towards examination particular this
> instance to until present temp***moment arrived at.

I think this is why there is seperate newsgroep en email-groep for South
Africans Rick, to mis any misunderstandings like this. But for benefit of
you, I will post it in English again.

I ask about the including of Owen Nkumane, the golden lions ***, in the
Springbok squad - it is a case of the NSC sticking its fingers into
Springbok rugby once too often as he did not even have a good Vodacom Series
while a *** like Chris Rossouw is left out who has done well all this
season.

I ask also about Andre Vos, why Ferdi is not including him in any idees for
the Springbok Test Side. He would also shine if he played with 'n winning
pack of forwards.

Natasha
--
-------------------------------------------------------------------
NATASHA MEYER
PRETORIA, SUID-AFRIKA (NUUT)
http://SportToday.org/
-------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Boks - different from 97

Post by John Sherida » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I think (and I am sure that someone with the actual story will be able to
correct me) the story with Christian Stewart is that he was born in Canada
while his parents were in transit from the UK to SA thus giving him
Canadian citizenship qualifications.  I do not think that he grew up in
Canada, but saw an opportunity to play here during the period when SA'n
rugby was being blacklisted, and then he went home(stayed home) after the
'95 WC.  However the story, he certainly cannot be called(even with tongue
in cheek) a defector.

John Sheridan
Castaway Wanderers RFC
Victoria BC Canada


Website:
http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/pressbox/7346

Quote:


> >Muller is a wonderful tackler and sound attacking player, but I
> >personally like Japie Mulder, though he is also injured right now. I
> >think Franco Smith will likely be the no12 for now, though you never
> >know, Robbie Fleck or Christian Stewart (Canadian defector!!!) might
> >get the call. Smith is a good distributor and his defense, like you
> >said, has improved markedly.

> You have certainly done your homework on rugby players around the
> world Bryan. Franco Smith will almost certainly be the Boks first
> choice at #12.

> Japie Mulder is very strong on both defence and attack but is not a
> good distributor from the inside centre position and AFAIK has never
> played there. Robbie Fleck is also a far better performer at #13 and
> unlikely to ever be considered at #12.

> Christian Stewart can hardly be termed a defector either. His uncle,
> Dave Stewart, was a WP and Bok centre in past years and Christian at
> the age of 32 has belatedly followed in his footsteps, thanks entirely
> to his recent performances for WP in the #10 jersey.

> Thanks to a Canadian-born mother (I think) he was indeed co-opted into
> the Canadian team for RWC '91 and '95. Wonderfully well-treated too by
> all accounts, but hardly a defector. More a loan returnee, I would
> say! :o)

> Cheers
> Mike

 
 
 

Boks - different from 97

Post by Mike Am » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I think (and I am sure that someone with the actual story will be
>able to correct me) the story with Christian Stewart is that he was
>born in Canada while his parents were in transit from the UK to
>SA thus giving him Canadian citizenship qualifications.  I do
>not think that he grew up in Canada, but saw an opportunity to
>play here during the period when SA'n rugby was blacklisted.

Thanks John, you're probably quite right but I'll make a point of
finding out and if nobody volunteers, will post it at a later date.

Andrew Mehrtens, the Canterbury and All Black flyhalf has a similar
background and was actually born here in Durban, while his folks
were in South Africa.

His father had a short stint with Natal, I believe. Unfortunately Andy
is a dinkum New Zealander, otherwise we'd certainly claim him. :o)

Cheers
Mike

 
 
 

Boks - different from 97

Post by Hecto » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I rate Bobby Skinstad very highly. Do you think he should play the 80
minutes. Mike and the rest of the crew what do you think about having
Skinstad on at the begining.
Hector
 
 
 

Boks - different from 97

Post by Bryan R » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:
>Christian Stewart can hardly be termed a defector either. His uncle,
>Dave Stewart, was a WP and Bok centre in past years and Christian at
>the age of 32 has belatedly followed in his footsteps, thanks entirely
>to his recent performances for WP in the #10 jersey.

Ah, I see. I'll still call him a defector, though, because I'm a
horribly biased Canadian and anyone who is eligible to play for Canada
and chooses to play for someone else is bad! That means you, Kevin
Yates (born in Canada)! As for Stewart, if I'm not mistaked, Scott
Stewart, the Canadian fullback now playing for Harlequins, is
Christian's brother, and HE has chosen to remain eligible for the
Maple Leafs. Ah well, best wishes to Christian, as he served Canada
well in RWC's '91 and '95, and we've some talented young centers
coming up now anyway.

Bryan Ray

 
 
 

Boks - different from 97

Post by Paul Dutto » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:
>What sort of game will England play?

We will try to beat you.


 
 
 

Boks - different from 97

Post by Robin M. Brau » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:
> >I think (and I am sure that someone with the actual story will be
> >able to correct me) the story with Christian Stewart is that he was
> >born in Canada while his parents were in transit from the UK to
> >SA thus giving him Canadian citizenship qualifications.  I do
> >not think that he grew up in Canada, but saw an opportunity to
> >play here during the period when SA'n rugby was blacklisted.

Christian Stewart is also the nephew of Dave Stewart. Here is an abstract
from the MWEB rugby hall of fame.

Dave Stewart was A tall, fast, creative, skilful, thoughtful player, he
allowed those around him to play better. In 1962 he played three tests at
centre with John Gainsford. They were both playing for South Western
Districts at the time. He played in tests for South Africa at centre,
flyhalf and fullback. Later he was a national selector in 1971 and then,
from 1987 to 1998, the president of Villager FC in succession to Geoff
Gray.

Dave was a particularly loyal Villager man. In 1959 he was playing in the
Villagers second team, playing first division cricket and second division
rugby, when Alan Skene went off to play rugby league. He was asked to play
centre with John Gainsford for the first team. He wanted to play flyhalf
but Dennis Fry, a cricket team-mate, advised him to do whatever his club
asked, and so Dave Stewart became a centre. Then Len Rodrigues, the first
team flyhalf was injured and Dave Stewart moved into flyhalf and was then
chosen, that very same year, for Western Province with a debut match
against Transvaal, the big rivals of the day.

His nephew, Christian Stewart, played for Canada and Western Province. He
may well have played for South Africa had he not opted to play for Canada.

Robin M. Braun