Leicester v Bath Saturday 7 November 1998

Leicester v Bath Saturday 7 November 1998

Post by Simon Fussel » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00


The Bath team is selected as follows:

15    Perry
14    Balshaw
13    Guscott
12    Maggs
11    Adebayo
10    Catt
  9    Hatley
  1    Hilton
  2    Long
  3    Ubogu
  4    Redman
  5    Sturnham
  6    Thomas
  7    Webster
  8    Peters
Replacements:- Nicol, Regan, Yates, de Glanville, Preston, Haag, Earnshaw.

The Rugby Club made Leicester strong favorites, which on recent form ( and
at home ) is probably right.  ( That was very painful ).  If my memory
serves me right Bath have only won once in the last five games at Welford
Road.

I think Maggs is lucky to get the call over de Glanville.  He owes Bath a
big game.  Glad to see Andy Long back. He has been the in form *** for
Bath this season.

I don't think many people will be surprised to see Preston on the bench.
Catty appears to be having one of his indecisive periods which hopefully
won't last too long but its good to have that sort of quality back up.

Hopefully it will be dry.  I have no doubt there will be a full house.
Can't wait to enjoy the light hearted banter that all away supporters get
treated too in the Crumbie Stand.  Its just a shame that they have ruined
the Victory and the Bowling Green.

Regards
Simon

 
 
 

Leicester v Bath Saturday 7 November 1998

Post by John Willia » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998 20:36:32 -0000, "Simon Fussell"

Quote:

>The Bath team is selected as follows:

[...]

It looks pretty strong. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing
Sturnham at lock and Balshaw. Assuming Ezulike and Lloyd are playing,
there could be some cracking stuff out wide. Or maybe not...

Leicester haven't announced their side yet. Possibly because of the
tricky decisions regarding Rowntree and Greenwood. Apparently the
likelihood is Jelley at 1 and Greenwood at centre. Van Heerden, Howard
and Stimpson are definitely out. Probably Potter too.

Quote:
>The Rugby Club made Leicester strong favorites, which on recent form ( and
>at home ) is probably right.  ( That was very painful ).

With Sarries at The Rec next week, then Quins away and Northampton at
home, it's certainly the right time for Bath to hit their best form. I
think John Wells was about right when he said it will come down to
motivation of the two sides, as ever.

Quote:
>If my memory
>serves me right Bath have only won once in the last five games at Welford
>Road.

Yep, the league games have been won comfortably by the home side for a
while now. Maybe I'll get to The Rec for the next one and hope the
sequence is broken :-).

Quote:
>I think Maggs is lucky to get the call over de Glanville.  He owes Bath a
>big game.  Glad to see Andy Long back. He has been the in form *** for
>Bath this season.

I can't remember Long starting v***erill yet. It could be an
interesting confrontation.

Quote:
>I don't think many people will be surprised to see Preston on the bench.
>Catty appears to be having one of his indecisive periods which hopefully
>won't last too long but its good to have that sort of quality back up.
>Hopefully it will be dry.  I have no doubt there will be a full house.

Generally the ground around here is very wet at the moment as you'd
expect, but apparently tomorrow and Saturday will be dry. Leicester
were trying to get a temporary stand of 700 to boost the capacity to
17,000 for the game. There won't be many empty seats for sure.

Quote:
>Can't wait to enjoy the light hearted banter that all away supporters get
>treated too in the Crumbie Stand.

Do you know your seat yet? I'll give you a thumbs up.

Quote:
>Its just a shame that they have ruined
>the Victory and the Bowling Green.

Can't remember the last time I was in either of them. The Rainbow and
Dove is the real tragedy though :-(. After the Richmond game the
players and remaining fans went on a three-legged bar crawl round the
ground. There are six or seven, so a couple of laps should satisfy
most people...

All the best

John Williams.

 
 
 

Leicester v Bath Saturday 7 November 1998

Post by Simon Fussel » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>On Thu, 5 Nov 1998 20:36:32 -0000, "Simon Fussell"

>>The Bath team is selected as follows:

>[...]

>It looks pretty strong. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing
>Sturnham at lock and Balshaw. Assuming Ezulike and Lloyd are playing,
>there could be some cracking stuff out wide. Or maybe not..

Balshaw is fast, but I would like to put money on him catching Ezulike.  I
thought Bath had the monopoly on Nigerian players!  Sturnham v Martin
Johnson.  An interesting contest.  Baths lineout has been working better
this season partly because of Sturnham and the ever dependable Ollie Redman.

Quote:

>Leicester haven't announced their side yet. Possibly because of the
>tricky decisions regarding Rowntree and Greenwood. Apparently the
>likelihood is Jelley at 1 and Greenwood at centre. Van Heerden, Howard
>and Stimpson are definitely out. Probably Potter too.

Has Dean Richards been reading the Andy Robinson coaching manual?  Van
Heerden and Howard will be a blow.  Your're back row is pretty formidable
though.

Quote:
>>The Rugby Club made Leicester strong favorites, which on recent form ( and
>>at home ) is probably right.  ( That was very painful ).

>With Sarries at The Rec next week, then Quins away and Northampton at
>home, it's certainly the right time for Bath to hit their best form. I
>think John Wells was about right when he said it will come down to
>motivation of the two sides, as ever.

Actually Sarries is on 19 December.  The Quinns game could be a test of our
strength in depth given the England game on the Sunday.  I think Wells is
right and a few seasons ago I would have felt confident that after a defeat
like last weekend Bath would be out to make someone pay.
Quote:

>>If my memory
>>serves me right Bath have only won once in the last five games at Welford
>>Road.

>Yep, the league games have been won comfortably by the home side for a
>while now. Maybe I'll get to The Rec for the next one and hope the
>sequence is broken :-).

Just a short trip across the river, if you are in Wales by then.  You may
even get to like it?

Quote:

>>I think Maggs is lucky to get the call over de Glanville.  He owes Bath a
>>big game.  Glad to see Andy Long back. He has been the in form *** for
>>Bath this season.

>I can't remember Long starting v***erill yet. It could be an
>interesting confrontation.

The best was Dawe v***erill.  1994 at Welford Rd before the game started
***erill came over to where Dawsey was limbering up to give him some
training tips.

Quote:

>>I don't think many people will be surprised to see Preston on the bench.
>>Catty appears to be having one of his indecisive periods which hopefully
>>won't last too long but its good to have that sort of quality back up.

>>Hopefully it will be dry.  I have no doubt there will be a full house.

>Generally the ground around here is very wet at the moment as you'd
>expect, but apparently tomorrow and Saturday will be dry. Leicester
>were trying to get a temporary stand of 700 to boost the capacity to
>17,000 for the game. There won't be many empty seats for sure.

>>Can't wait to enjoy the light hearted banter that all away supporters get
>>treated too in the Crumbie Stand.

>Do you know your seat yet? I'll give you a thumbs up.

I think I am standing? So its prob the terraces in front of the Crumbie
stand? Hopefully be in one of the bars afterwards. ( I am told that you have
more than one etc )

Quote:
>[...]

Regards
Simon

 
 
 

Leicester v Bath Saturday 7 November 1998

Post by Gary Baile » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

there are 9 bars in the ground failing that try shiftys (the old
bricklayers)--
cheers
 Garry   (Tiger bar team)



Hopefully be in one of the bars afterwards. ( I am told that you have

Quote:
> more than one etc )

> >[...]

> Regards
> Simon