Tana Umaga

Tana Umaga

Post by Maguir » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00


Tana Umaga is one of the best wings in the world, and a more complete
all-round player than Lomu, who is for obvious reasons, the best wing in
the world. In fact only Lomu is better than Umaga, and only marginally at
that. He has pace, power and of course skill. He did not have a great World
Cup, only an ok one, probably because he was trying to play a bit like Lomu
and score lots of tries to prove to the world how good he really is. This
is understandable. Anyone with any views on this please post a reply.

Irish ALL BLACKS FAN

 
 
 

Tana Umaga

Post by Ryan » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I think Umaga's performance vs. France was terrible.  I expected him to want
to redeem himself vs. South Africa in the consolation final.  Unfortunately,
he couldn't even do that.  I was disappointed given the fact that I know he
is (or at least was) capable of much better.  It seems to me that he is very
"hot and cold".

 
 
 

Tana Umaga

Post by William Nichola » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Speaking as a complete outsider from NZ rugby, I could not see the fuss
about Umaga had a very average WC - he looked very ordinary. Lomu is
obviously a very potent attacker but there is no plan B when well marked
Like against SA on thursday and in 95. He is also very vunerable with the
ball put behind him and with numbers rushing up to press - he lacks ball
handling and football skills. I admit I have not seen much S12 but I have
always been impressed with Wilson, Cullen (at wing or FB not Centre!) and
Osbourne.

 
 
 

Tana Umaga

Post by Gareth C Jone » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

> Speaking as a complete outsider from NZ rugby, I could not see the fuss
> about Umaga had a very average WC - he looked very ordinary. Lomu is
> obviously a very potent attacker but there is no plan B when well marked
> Like against SA on thursday and in 95. He is also very vunerable with the
> ball put behind him and with numbers rushing up to press - he lacks ball
> handling and football skills. I admit I have not seen much S12 but I have
> always been impressed with Wilson, Cullen (at wing or FB not Centre!) and
> Osbourne.

I kind of agree. As an outsider as well he's never really impressed me - I
thought he was quite average during the Tri-Nations. I think the same about
Breyton Paulse who everyone goes mad about - he looks good to me but not
quite that good.
--
Cheers Drive!

Gareth

 
 
 

Tana Umaga

Post by gabrie » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

and da cutest

;-)



Quote:
> Tana Umaga is one of the best wings in the world, Anyone with any views

on this please post a reply.
Quote:

> Irish ALL BLACKS FAN

 
 
 

Tana Umaga

Post by Gerr » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

If you can get a hold of it, watch the All Blacks pasting at Homebush
Stadium. Umaga showed perhaps the best wing display of the past couple
of seasons in a team going backwards that day, and it wasn't a one off.
He was at that standard in every game during the S12 and 3N all year,
unfortunately he saved his worst game of the year for the WC semi.

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

Tana Umaga

Post by Falko » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Running up to the Bledisloe cup game vs Oz Tana was keeping Lomu out of the
starting lineup on form. His workrate is great and would be one of the
highest in world rugby IMHO. Too bad he had such a shocker against France
because he is a lot better than that.


Quote:
> Tana Umaga is one of the best wings in the world, and a more complete
> all-round player than Lomu, who is for obvious reasons, the best wing in
> the world. In fact only Lomu is better than Umaga, and only marginally at
> that. He has pace, power and of course skill. He did not have a great
World
> Cup, only an ok one, probably because he was trying to play a bit like
Lomu
> and score lots of tries to prove to the world how good he really is. This
> is understandable. Anyone with any views on this please post a reply.

> Irish ALL BLACKS FAN

 
 
 

Tana Umaga

Post by Falko » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00



Quote:

> > Speaking as a complete outsider from NZ rugby, I could not see the fuss
> > about Umaga had a very average WC

<snip>

Quote:
> > I admit I have not seen much S12 but I have
> > always been impressed with Wilson, Cullen (at wing or FB not Centre!)
and
> > Osbourne.

> I kind of agree. As an outsider as well he's never really impressed me - I
> thought he was quite average during the Tri-Nations. I think the same
about
> Breyton Paulse who everyone goes mad about - he looks good to me but not
> quite that good.

These guys showed out in the S12. The Tri nations is so tight that it is
difficult for any wings to show what they can do with space.
 
 
 

Tana Umaga

Post by Adam P.R. Taylo » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> If you can get a hold of it, watch the All Blacks pasting at Homebush
> Stadium. Umaga showed perhaps the best wing display of the past couple
> of seasons in a team going backwards that day, and it wasn't a one off.
> He was at that standard in every game during the S12 and 3N all year,

He has had planty of practice, playing with Wellington
for the last few years.    :(
Indeed, he is a complete winger, and a shitty game when
almost everyone else plays shit does not a dumping
warrant.

--
----------------------------------------------------
Adam P. R. Taylor
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Christchurch
NEW ZEALAND


 
 
 

Tana Umaga

Post by Ian Dale » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I agree Umaga earnt his position in the All Blacks, probably more than Lomu
did.

What I want to know it where was Norm Berryman, surely he was the star of
the Super 12, next to Roffy.

Ian


Quote:
> These guys showed out in the S12. The Tri nations is so tight that it is
> difficult for any wings to show what they can do with space.

 
 
 

Tana Umaga

Post by Falko » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00


Quote:
> What I want to know it where was Norm Berryman, surely he was the star of
> the Super 12, next to Roffy.

NZers know that Berryman didn't fit into Hart's corporate culture. (prob too
carefree). Like Lomu, he has loads of natural ability but wasn't much of a
trainer.

He can be capable of some scintilating games (eg S12) but then can play some
shockers too. (eg some Northland games)

You gotta feel sorry for the guy. I'll remember before the 1995 WC that he
played in 3 games in about 6 [?] days at NZ A and Maoris level to try to
force himself into the squad. Desperately unlucky.

 
 
 

Tana Umaga

Post by Gareth C Jone » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00


Quote:



> > > Speaking as a complete outsider from NZ rugby, I could not see the
fuss
> > > about Umaga had a very average WC

> <snip>

> > > I admit I have not seen much S12 but I have
> > > always been impressed with Wilson, Cullen (at wing or FB not Centre!)
> and
> > > Osbourne.

> > I kind of agree. As an outsider as well he's never really impressed me -
I
> > thought he was quite average during the Tri-Nations. I think the same
> about
> > Breyton Paulse who everyone goes mad about - he looks good to me but not
> > quite that good.

> These guys showed out in the S12. The Tri nations is so tight that it is
> difficult for any wings to show what they can do with space.

Yeah I get to see the S12 but only in highlights. It can be hard to judge.
SKY in the UK only show the final live. God knows why though it's got to be
more interesting than some of the shite on SKY Sports 3 like tractor
pulling? Especially strange since uncle Rupert owns the rights anyway.
--
Cheers Drive!

Gareth