NPC Grand Final Results - all divisions

NPC Grand Final Results - all divisions

Post by Richard Gallagh » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00


Friday, 23 October 1998
-----------------------
1998 NPC Division Two Final

Central Vikings 33 defeated Bay of Plenty 18
  Central Vikings:  Tim Kareko (2), Jarrod Cunningham tries
                    Jarrod Cunningham 3 pens, 3 cons
                    Stephen Bachop drop goal
  Bay of Plenty:  Keith Pryor, Justin Wilson tries
                  Dean Jennings 2 pens, 1 con

Saturday, 24 October 1998
-------------------------
1998 NPC Division Three Final

Mid Canterbury 18 defeated Horowhenua-Kapiti 13
  Mid Canterbury: Steve Middleton 6 pens
  Horowhenua-Kapiti: Paul Hirini try
                     Dion Nepia 2 pens, 1 con

All I'm going to say about this match is that Horowhenua must have one
of the biggest wings in the world.  The guy looked like a prop that
had put on the wrong jersey.  But he did have a fair turn of speed.

Sunday, 25 October 1998
-----------------------
1998 NPC Division On Final

Otago 49 defeated Waikato 20 at Carisbrook, Dunedin
  Otago:  Brednan Laney (2), Brendon Timmins, John Leslie,
          Romi Ropati, Byron Kelleher, Anton Oliver tries
          Tony Brown 2 pens, 4 cons
  Waikato:  Bruce Reihana, Glen Jackson tries
            Matthew Cooper 2 pens, 2 con

The game started out slowly.  Brown and Cooper both kicked some
difficult kicks in very windy conditions.  Timmins scored a try from a
ruck in front of the Waikato posts.  Otago lead going into half time
10 points to Waikato's 6.  Waikato were unlucky not to have scored
from some promising plays during the first half.

John Leslie scores a try early in the second half.  I can't think of a
better way to say this other than Leslie looks like a girl when he
runs.  There is something strange about how he runs, but it does seem
to be very effective.

Otago score three tries near the middle of the second half and put the
result beyond doubt.  Then the match becomes very muddled and sloppy.
Waikato scored two tries through the backs.

Otago deserve the NPC title with the way they have played in this
final and the way the played the past few weeks.  Waikato already have
the Ranfurly Shield and the Sevens title, it would be greedy to have
the NPC title as well.

It seemed to me a lot of the refs calls went Otagos way.  He saw the
Waikato team make infringements they didn't and he didn't see some of
the infringements Otago made.  Why oh why couldn't Colin Hawke have
been the ref for this game???

--
Richard Gallagher

http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~rbg/

 
 
 

NPC Grand Final Results - all divisions

Post by Gary McLea » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

Quote:

> -----------------------
> 1998 NPC Division On Final

> Otago deserve the NPC title with the way they have played in this
> final and the way the played the past few weeks.  Waikato already have
> the Ranfurly Shield and the Sevens title, it would be greedy to have
> the NPC title as well.

I couldn't agree more here...Waikato are are very good team at home just
like Otago. I can still remember that NPC final between the two teams in
Hamilton a few years back. We all know the one where Mathew's brother Greg
left the game early!

Quote:

> It seemed to me a lot of the refs calls went Otagos way.  He saw the
> Waikato team make infringements they didn't and he didn't see some of
> the infringements Otago made.  Why oh why couldn't Colin Hawke have
> been the ref for this game???

Not having seen the game (no coverage in the US of A til next weekend) I
can't comment on the refereeing. If Colin Hawke had been the referee there
would have been big trouble at the Brook, however Otago would still have
one even if Hawke was the man. I was at the Otago-Counties game in Dunedin
earlier this season where Hawke was the ref...not a popular guy in the
south.

Great stuff Otago. I can wear my Otago jersey with pride in NYC...not that
anyone will know or care here.

Gary

 
 
 

NPC Grand Final Results - all divisions

Post by Shaun » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:
>1998 NPC Division On Final

>Otago 49 defeated Waikato 20 at Carisbrook, Dunedin
>  Otago:  Brednan Laney (2), Brendon Timmins, John Leslie,
>          Romi Ropati, Byron Kelleher, Anton Oliver tries
>          Tony Brown 2 pens, 4 cons
>  Waikato:  Bruce Reihana, Glen Jackson tries
>            Matthew Cooper 2 pens, 2 co

Didn't we do well.8-)

Quote:
>It seemed to me a lot of the refs calls went Otagos way.  He saw the
>Waikato team make infringements they didn't and he didn't see some of
>the infringements Otago made.  Why oh why couldn't Colin Hawke have
>been the ref for this game???

You can not be serious, the guy is an *** and I don't think the crowd
would have given him a very big welcome, there was enough beer cans and
other projectiles thrown at Waikato supporters when they paraded the ground
without having another target there. Although it would have been a nice
target.