5 Nations Contest: France Leading

5 Nations Contest: France Leading

Post by markha » Thu, 02 Jan 1997 04:00:00


The collective expertise of the news group has so far chosen France as
the clear winners of the upcoming 5N.  England and Scotland will battle
for the next position, Wales will follow and Ireland will bring up the
rear.

To add your choice go to:

http://SportToday.org/***/5nations/

The averages so far are:

France   1.4
England  2.5
Scotland 2.6
Wales    3.6
Ireland  4.6

The participating countries to date in order of frequency are:

1. United States
2. Wales
3. Australia, Canada, England, South Africa

Mark

 
 
 

5 Nations Contest: France Leading

Post by Rhodri Howel » Fri, 03 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> The collective expertise of the news group has so far chosen France as
> the clear winners of the upcoming 5N.  England and Scotland will battle
> for the next position, Wales will follow and Ireland will bring up the
> rear.

> To add your choice go to:

> http://SportToday.org/***/5nations/

> The averages so far are:

> France   1.4
> England  2.5
> Scotland 2.6
> Wales    3.6
> Ireland  4.6

This is mathematically unsound.
Clearly these figures should add to 15.
They actually add to 14.7
Can you either
a) recount
b) give us more decimal places
or c) tell us where your rounding errors come from.

Thanks. Happy New Year.

Rhodri

Quote:
> Mark


Rec.Sport.Rugby.Union FAQ - currently available from
http://SportToday.org/
http://SportToday.org/~tim/rsru_faq.html
http://SportToday.org/

 
 
 

5 Nations Contest: France Leading

Post by scul.. » Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:00:00



Quote:


> > The collective expertise of the news group has so far chosen France as
> > the clear winners of the upcoming 5N.  England and Scotland will battle
> > for the next position, Wales will follow and Ireland will bring up the
> > rear.

> > To add your choice go to:

> > http://SportToday.org/***/5nations/

> > The averages so far are:

> > France   1.4
> > England  2.5
> > Scotland 2.6
> > Wales    3.6
> > Ireland  4.6

> This is mathematically unsound.
> Clearly these figures should add to 15.
> They actually add to 14.7
> Can you either
> a) recount
> b) give us more decimal places
> or c) tell us where your rounding errors come from.

> Thanks. Happy New Year.

> Rhodri

> > Mark


Without wanting to preempt the original poster, this anomaly could have arisen
from prevaricators like myself who voted England & France equal 1st, Scotland
3rd. Wales 4th & Ireland 5th, a total of 14. If there were enough indecisive
voters like myself, then the average total would clearly be below 15, e.g. 14.7.

Sculler (sweltering in the WA summer heat - hmmm, must be time for another
swim...)

-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
      http://SportToday.org/;   Search, Read, Post to Usenet

 
 
 

5 Nations Contest: France Leading

Post by Rhodri Howel » Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Without wanting to preempt the original poster, this anomaly could have arisen
> from prevaricators like myself who voted England & France equal 1st, Scotland
> 3rd. Wales 4th & Ireland 5th, a total of 14. If there were enough indecisive
> voters like myself, then the average total would clearly be below 15, e.g. 14.7.

> Sculler (sweltering in the WA summer heat - hmmm, must be time for another
> swim...)

Surely as the positions are differentiated on points difference,
everyone ought to pick their order 1,2,3,4,5 and not hedge their bets.

Fair enough answer though. Consider my question answered.


Rec.Sport.Rugby.Union FAQ - currently available from
http://rugby.ru.ac.za/rsru-faq.html
http://www.monash.edu.au/~tim/rsru_faq.html
http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/User/C.M.Sully/rsru_faq.html

 
 
 

5 Nations Contest: France Leading

Post by markha » Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
> > This is mathematically unsound.
> > Clearly these figures should add to 15.
> > They actually add to 14.7
> > Can you either
> > a) recount
> > b) give us more decimal places
> > or c) tell us where your rounding errors come from.

> > Thanks. Happy New Year.

> > Rhodri

> > > Mark

> Without wanting to preempt the original poster, this anomaly could have arisen
> from prevaricators like myself who voted England & France equal 1st, Scotland
> 3rd. Wales 4th & Ireland 5th, a total of 14. If there were enough indecisive
> voters like myself, then the average total would clearly be below 15, e.g. 14.7.

> Sculler (sweltering in the WA summer heat - hmmm, must be time for another
> swim...)

Absolutely correct, a few people have posted numbers as you mentioned.
I'm glad someone brought it up since I wasn't sure of the reason.  At
first I thought it was human error when filling in the form but now I
see that it is was deliberate indecision.  Enough to drive a
mathematically astute person to drink, not that it bothers me.  My
attitude is that it averages out in the long run.  However, no free beer
if you don't get all five selections correct:-}

Since my last posting, more numbers have been rolling in.  The order
remains the same but Scotland is falling from parity with England to
chumming up with Wales for 3rd and 4th.  More updates to follow.  

Mark

 
 
 

5 Nations Contest: France Leading

Post by Terry Fitzpatri » Sun, 05 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>(snip)

>Surely as the positions are differentiated on points difference,
>everyone ought to pick their order 1,2,3,4,5 and not hedge their bets.

You splitting hairs, Rhodri? No, surely not ;-)

Regards

Terry