McLaren having a good season

McLaren having a good season

Post by Mohd Azha » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00


Although I am a Ferrari fan , kudos to the guys at Mclaren. Thay got the
car ruuning good and both Mika and David are doing a good job.

 
 
 

McLaren having a good season

Post by Sean Gratt » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 08 May 1998 21:18:36 +0800, Mohd Azhar

Quote:

>Although I am a Ferrari fan , kudos to the guys at Mclaren. Thay got the
>car ruuning good and both Mika and David are doing a good job.

Yes they are, but over a second a lap quicker in practice for
Barcelona.  They HAVE to  be cheating.  Come on everyone,  this is
crazy, how "asleep" were all the other teams except McLaren during the
off-season. Even in 1996 when Williams had "the" package of the Newey
car and Renault power the gaps were not that large.  I only hope that
many races are rainy, so we can see racing instead of a procession.

 
 
 

McLaren having a good season

Post by TOUT RACE » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>On Fri, 08 May 1998 21:18:36 +0800, Mohd Azhar

>>Although I am a Ferrari fan , kudos to the guys at Mclaren. Thay got the
>>car ruuning good and both Mika and David are doing a good job.

>Yes they are, but over a second a lap quicker in practice for
>Barcelona.  They HAVE to  be cheating.  Come on everyone,  this is
>crazy, how "asleep" were all the other teams except McLaren during the
>off-season. Even in 1996 when Williams had "the" package of the Newey
>car and Renault power the gaps were not that large.  I only hope that
>many races are rainy, so we can see racing instead of a procession.

I take it you are kidding-   apart from the fact that they are only a
***y-weeny bit ahead in the drivers championship-  We're only a quarter
into the season-  anyone could win.

dab

 
 
 

McLaren having a good season

Post by Jim » Sun, 10 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>On Fri, 08 May 1998 21:18:36 +0800, Mohd Azhar

>>Although I am a Ferrari fan , kudos to the guys at Mclaren. Thay got the
>>car ruuning good and both Mika and David are doing a good job.

>Yes they are, but over a second a lap quicker in practice for
>Barcelona.  They HAVE to  be cheating.  Come on everyone,  this is
>crazy, how "asleep" were all the other teams except McLaren during the
>off-season. Even in 1996 when Williams had "the" package of the Newey
>car and Renault power the gaps were not that large.  I only hope that
>many races are rainy, so we can see racing instead of a procession.

In 1996 Williams did not have the additional advantage of superior
tires that McLaren has now.  Better tires can make a HUGE difference
in lap times, especially in a well designed car properly set up to
exploit them.  If Williams and Ferrari were asleep at any time during
the off-season it was when they made their tire choice.  The writing
was on the wall when Goodyear anounced their decision to pull out
after '98.  

I have to agree with you about the rain.   Nothing is more exciting
than open wheel cars racing in the rain.  

Jim

 
 
 

McLaren having a good season

Post by Ian Hil » Sun, 10 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> If Williams and Ferrari were asleep at any time during
> the off-season it was when they made their tire choice.  The writing
> was on the wall when Goodyear anounced their decision to pull out
> after '98.

Unfortunately Williams couldn't switch tyres to Bridgestone. They have a
contract running up to 1998. On the other hand, McLaren and Benetton had
contracts running up to 1999. Since Goodyear are pulling out at the end
of 1998, these contracts would have been broken anyway, so Goodyear
allowed McLaren and Benetton to change tyres. I'm not sure what the
situation is with Ferrari but I assume it's similar to Williams.

--
Cheers
Ian Hill, Cambridge, UK

Homepage: http://members.xoom.com/IanHill