Autosport (UK) Driver Ratings #10 - Magny-Cours

Autosport (UK) Driver Ratings #10 - Magny-Cours

Post by Brian_W_Lawre.. » Sat, 07 Jul 2001 20:04:11


These ratings are Autosport's not mine. I don't necessarily agree or
disagree
with them (except that giving the lowest-rated driver zero is silly).

People often disagree with these ratings which is understandable. However,
one
common criticism seems to be that driver A is rated higher than driver B, but
driver B would appear to have had a better result, or outqualified driver A,
etc.
In my opinion this is missing the point, since each driver is being rated on
his
own performance and not in comparison with the other drivers. For example,
Alonso
has only been rated lower than 7 once, but hasn't even scored a point. This
is
because he is performing better with poorer equipment and with less
experience
than some other drivers (IMO).

To give a rather ludicrous example, imagine you are racing Michael Schumacher
in
his Ferrari. You have never driven on the track before, and you are driving
an
unfamiliar road car, not an F1 car. The race lasts for 20 laps, and MS laps
you
10 times, but you finish second - I can easily imagine that both drivers could

receive the same rating. MS wouldn't need to exert himself and so wouldn't
deserve
a high rating, while the fact that you (or I) finished the race having no
previous
experience and was only lapped 10 times would be a worthy performance and
would
warrant a high rating. F1 rookies like Alonso, R?ikk?nen, Bernoldi, Burti and
even
JPM should be marked higher than veterans, especially if they are in slower
cars.

These were the ratings for Magny-Cours (points out of 10):

 9  MS, Heidfeld
 8  Ralf, JPM, Trulli, Irvine, Alonso
 7  Rubens, DC, Fisi, Button, JV, Kimi
 6  Mika, Jos, Bernoldi, Marques, Burti
 5  Frentzen, de la Rosa
 4  Panis

Token "wooden spoon":   0  Alesi

The season to date:

              AUS MAS BRA SMR ESP AUT MON CDN Eur FRA Tot  Avg.
===============================================================
 1 M Schumacher 9  10   7   6   9   8   8   8   9   9  83  8.30
 2 Coulthard    9   8   9   8   8  10   7   7   8   7  81  8.10
 3 R Schumacher 7   7   8  10   7   8   7   9   8   8  79  7.90
 4 R?ikk?nen    9   6   7   9   7   9   6   8   8   7  76  7.60
 5 Alonso       7   5   7   8   9   8   8   7   7   8  74  7.40
 6 Trulli       7   6   7   8   7   7   7   8   8   8  73  7.30
 7 Irvine       6   5   5   7   9   8   9   5   9   8  71  7.10
   Heidfeld     8   6   8   7   7   8   5   6   7   9  71  7.10
 9 Fisichella   6   5   8   8   7   8   9   5   6   7  69  6.90
   Montoya      7   7  10   6   6   9   5   4   7   8  69  6.90
11 Panis        8   6   8   8   7   7   6   8   6   4  68  6.80
12 H?kkinen     8   6   7   7   9   7   8   7   0   6  65  6.50
   Verstappen   5   9   4   6   6   8   8   7   6   6  65  6.50
   Barrichello  5   8   5   7   7   8   7   5   6   7  65  6.50
15 Villeneuve   6   6   6   6   8   5   7   5   7   7  63  6.30
16 Frentzen     7   8   8   7   4   5   5   -   7   5  56  6.22
17 Button       6   6   6   6   6   6   6   5   6   7  60  6.00
18 Bernoldi     3   5   6   6   7   7   7   5   6   6  58  5.80
   Burti        6   6   6   6   8   6   6   0   8   6  58  5.80
20 Alesi        5   6   7   6   8   0   7   8   7   0  54  5.40
   Marques      4   5   5   5   6   5   5   6   7   6  54  5.40
22 De la Rosa   -   -   -   -   7   7   0   7   5   5  31  5.17
23 Zonta        -   -   -   -   -   -   -   5   -   -   5  5.00
24 Mazzacane    4   5   5   4   -   -   -   -   -   -  18  4.50

If you feel strongly enough you can make your own ratings in the
same style at http://go.to/f1info/

--

Brian Lawrence
Wantage, Oxfordshire, UK

 -----  Posted via NewsOne.Net: Free (anonymous) Usenet News via the Web  -----
  http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups
   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts

 
 
 

Autosport (UK) Driver Ratings #10 - Magny-Cours

Post by powertrai » Sat, 07 Jul 2001 23:07:28

Quote:

> These ratings are Autosport's not mine. I don't necessarily agree or
> disagree with them

I just love to tear them apart ;-)

Quote:
> (except that giving the lowest-rated driver zero
> is silly).

Problem is they've often picked the wrong driver as the undeserving IMO.
But I agree, a driver would have to be very bad to rate 0 over a whole
week-end.

Quote:
> People often disagree with these ratings which is understandable.
> However, one common criticism seems to be that driver A is rated
> higher than driver B, but driver B would appear to have had a better
> result, or outqualified driver A, etc. In my opinion this is missing
> the point, since each driver is being rated on his own performance
> and not in comparison with the other drivers. For example, Alonso
> has only been rated lower than 7 once, but hasn't even scored a
> point. This is because he is performing better with poorer equipment
> and with less experience than some other drivers (IMO).

I see a bit of a contradiction here. First you say drivers aren't being
rated in comparison with other drivers and then proceed to explain that
Alonso is rated highly because "he is performing better (...) than some
other drivers"... So what is it? Obviously it doesn't hurt Alonso that his
teammate is so slow. I'd even venture to say that Jenson Button being so
slow makes him look very good. Autosport would look really silly rating
Button higher or even the same as Alonso and since Button only once got
below a 6...

Quote:
> These were the ratings for Magny-Cours (points out of 10):

>  9  MS, Heidfeld
>  8  Ralf, JPM, Trulli, Irvine, Alonso

Okay, I understand why MS gets an extra point, he won the race, but
Heidfeld? Then Irvine, he had a good race while it lasted but he wasn't too
impressive in qualifying. Neither was Montoya but it was apparently due to
his choice of tires.

Quote:
>  7  Rubens, DC, Fisi, Button, JV, Kimi
>  6  Mika, Jos, Bernoldi, Marques, Burti

This is where it gets a bit silly. I think Autosport don't like Burti. He
performed better than Jos, Enrique, Fisichella and Button all week-end. And
what has Marques done to rate as higly as Hakkinen and Burti? He qualified
dead last and finished dead last, 3 laps behind.

Quote:
>  5  Frentzen, de la Rosa

They're very generous with de la Rosa this time...

Quote:
>  4  Panis

Why so low compared to JV? And why is Frentzen getting a 5 and Panis only a
4? Frentzen was much further away from his teammate all week-end than Panis
was from his.

Quote:
> Token "wooden spoon":   0  Alesi

Pretty bad race for Alesi but he still finished higher than Jos who got a
6...