West Indies vs Australia (4T2D - Adelaide, Australia, Jan 24)

West Indies vs Australia (4T2D - Adelaide, Australia, Jan 24)

Post by Vasanthan.Da.. » Mon, 25 Jan 1993 23:50:31

   West Indies first innings total of 252 looked increasingly a winner
on Sunday after their pace attack ripped through Australia's top
order, putting opener David Boon into hospital.  More than half the
second day's play of the fourth Test was lost because of rain which
further slowed Australia's advance towards a respectable first innings
total.  It also delayed Allan Border's progress towards the 53 runs he
needs to beat Sunil Gavaskar's 10,122 Test runs record. The Australian
skipper grafted to 18 against some of the most vicious bowling of the
summer.  West Indies are desperate for a victory here to tie the
series before the final Test.

   By the time rain stopped play at 2:58pm, Australia had struggled to
100 for the loss of three wickets and Boon, who was taken to hospital
after being struck on the left elbow by a rising delivery from
Ambrose.  The good news later, however, was that Boon's elbow was only
badly bruised and he will be able to bat later.  Left-hander Justin
Langer, playing his first innings for Australia, was dismissed for 20
attempting to hook a bouncer by Benjamin which he skied to
wicket-keeper Murray.  Plucky Langer had survived a torrid
introduction to Test cricket as he was peppered with short-pitched
deliveries. He was floored on Saturday as he turned his back on a ball
to be hit on the back of the helmet by a vicious bouncer from Bishop.
He was hit three times Sunday morning, once painfully in the stomach
by Benjamin, but the 22-year-old fought back bravely, hooking the next
ball, which was also a bouncer, for three.  Langer lost his wicket a
few overs later attempting the same hook shot.

   A barrage of ferocious bowling by Curtly Ambrose and Ian Bishop had
Australia reeling at two for 18 and Boon out of action within
half-an-hour of play starting Sunday.  With three successive
deliveries, Ambrose sent Boon to hospital, struck incoming batsman
Mark Waugh on the pads only to have a confident appeal turned down and
then dismissed Waugh for a duck with an off-cutter.  The ball found
the outside edge of Waugh's bat and flew to the waiting hands of Phil
Simmons who took a comfortable catch at third slip.

   Mark Waugh's brother Steve, who had been dismissed four times by
Ambrose earlier in the series, came in to face another barrage, but
went to lunch on eight while Australia were on 41 for two.  Then
supported by Border, he steadied a shaky innings with a partnership
worth 54 to the end of play and took the total to 100 for three.  But
the pair lived dangerously, Border at one stage stepping away from a
ball which sailed harmlessly over his stumps, missing them by very
little.  When he was on 27, Waugh edged what should have been a
regulation catch to first slip, but wicket-keeper Murray dived to his
right and got his hand to it but dropped it.

Australia 1st Innings

   M.A. Taylor c Hooper b Bishop .......... 1
   D.C. Boon retired hurt ................. 2
   J.L. Langer c Murray b Benjamin ....... 20
   M.E. Waugh c Simmons b Ambrose ......... 0
   S.R. Waugh not out .................... 35
   A.R. Border not out ................... 18
   Extras (b7, lb2, nb15) ................ 24
   Total (three wickets - 35 overs) ..... 100

   Fall: 1-1, 2-16, 3-46

   Bowling: Ambrose 13-5-25-1, Bishop 12-3-24-1, Benjamin 6-0-22-1,
            Walsh 4-1-20-0.