OT: 2 great games (video link)

OT: 2 great games (video link)

Post by vdeolali.. » Mon, 02 Jul 2007 04:28:55


Sultan and other Hockey fans:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wqGumHoOuzg

First game is Australia vs Holland, Olympics 2004 finals. The first
time the Australians won Olympic gold (inspite of being regarded as
one of the best teams in the world for decades). In the process they
also denied Holland the opportunity to join India as the only team to
have won Olympic Gold thrice in MFH. Australia won by golden goal
(Jamie Dwyer, PC). A great game - arguably the greatest in Australian
Hockey history.

The second game was a mesmerizing display of Asian Hockey. India vs
Pakistan at the 2003 Champion's trophy. India won 7-4. The clip only
shows 4 goals, but these include two of the best. A stunning run down
the center by the Pakistan captain. Later, Gagan Ajit scoring off an
acute reverse to put India ahead 5-4.

Enjoy!

PS: I saw both live - both were spectacular games in very different
ways. One was a game of great significance with Australia going for
their first Olympic Gold. The second game was simply electrifying - to
my mind, one of the most entertaining Hockey games of recent years. It
was as if India and Pakistan turned back the clock and played like it
was the 60s all over again, with fast aggressive Asian field hockey.
11 goals in a game is almost unheard of these days. Gagan at his best,
and Indian Hockey for a while showing signs of revival with the (then)
new guard of Gagan, Deepak, and Prabhjot up front. Sadly, none of them
lived up to their promise. Gagan in particular never showed the
temperament of a champion. If memory serves me right, him and Prabhjot
was involved in a physical scuffle with Saqlain in this very game
after India were 7-4 ahead. That sort of thing became all too frequent
with Gagan Ajit, and he faded away after promising much.

 
 
 

OT: 2 great games (video link)

Post by SultanOfSwin » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 13:32:50


Quote:
> Sultan and other Hockey fans:

> http://youtube.com/watch?v=wqGumHoOuzg

> First game is Australia vs Holland, Olympics 2004 finals. The first
> time the Australians won Olympic gold (inspite of being regarded as
> one of the best teams in the world for decades). In the process they
> also denied Holland the opportunity to join India as the only team to
> have won Olympic Gold thrice in MFH. Australia won by golden goal
> (Jamie Dwyer, PC). A great game - arguably the greatest in Australian
> Hockey history.

   Australia are undoubtedly a great hockey team, having
   won the Champions' Trophy on 8 occasions, similar to
   Germany and Netherlands' record in that event. But they
   haven't tasted a similar degree of success in winning the
   Olympic gold.

Quote:
> The second game was a mesmerizing display of Asian Hockey. India vs
> Pakistan at the 2003 Champion's trophy. India won 7-4. The clip only
> shows 4 goals, but these include two of the best. A stunning run down
> the center by the Pakistan captain. Later, Gagan Ajit scoring off an
> acute reverse to put India ahead 5-4.

> Enjoy!

   Thanks, Vinay for the link. Certainly the India-Pakistan game
   sticks in my memory as one of the most entertaining hockey
   matches in recent history. IMO, 11 goals in a single hockey
   match is a record by Champions' Trophy standards.
   Unfortunately, I didn't watch the India-Pakistan match live,
   but caught up with the highlights later.

Quote:
> PS: I saw both live - both were spectacular games in very different
> ways. One was a game of great significance with Australia going for
> their first Olympic Gold. The second game was simply electrifying - to
> my mind, one of the most entertaining Hockey games of recent years. It
> was as if India and Pakistan turned back the clock and played like it
> was the 60s all over again, with fast aggressive Asian field hockey.
> 11 goals in a game is almost unheard of these days. Gagan at his best,
> and Indian Hockey for a while showing signs of revival with the (then)
> new guard of Gagan, Deepak, and Prabhjot up front. Sadly, none of them
> lived up to their promise. Gagan in particular never showed the
> temperament of a champion. If memory serves me right, him and Prabhjot
> was involved in a physical scuffle with Saqlain in this very game
> after India were 7-4 ahead. That sort of thing became all too frequent
> with Gagan Ajit, and he faded away after promising much.

   PS: I've cross-posted this to the field-hockey newsgroup so
   that other field-hockey lovers can enjoy some great hockey
   moments.

 
 
 

OT: 2 great games (video link)

Post by ssundar » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 20:00:42


Quote:

> > Sultan and other Hockey fans:

> >http://youtube.com/watch?v=wqGumHoOuzg

> > First game is Australia vs Holland, Olympics 2004 finals. The first
> > time the Australians won Olympic gold (inspite of being regarded as
> > one of the best teams in the world for decades). In the process they
> > also denied Holland the opportunity to join India as the only team to
> > have won Olympic Gold thrice in MFH. Australia won by golden goal
> > (Jamie Dwyer, PC). A great game - arguably the greatest in Australian
> > Hockey history.

>    Australia are undoubtedly a great hockey team, having
>    won the Champions' Trophy on 8 occasions, similar to
>    Germany and Netherlands' record in that event. But they
>    haven't tasted a similar degree of success in winning the
>    Olympic gold.

> > The second game was a mesmerizing display of Asian Hockey. India vs
> > Pakistan at the 2003 Champion's trophy. India won 7-4. The clip only
> > shows 4 goals, but these include two of the best. A stunning run down
> > the center by the Pakistan captain. Later, Gagan Ajit scoring off an
> > acute reverse to put India ahead 5-4.

> > Enjoy!

>    Thanks, Vinay for the link. Certainly the India-Pakistan game
>    sticks in my memory as one of the most entertaining hockey
>    matches in recent history. IMO, 11 goals in a single hockey
>    match is a record by Champions' Trophy standards.
>    Unfortunately, I didn't watch the India-Pakistan match live,
>    but caught up with the highlights later.

> > PS: I saw both live - both were spectacular games in very different
> > ways. One was a game of great significance with Australia going for
> > their first Olympic Gold. The second game was simply electrifying - to
> > my mind, one of the most entertaining Hockey games of recent years. It
> > was as if India and Pakistan turned back the clock and played like it
> > was the 60s all over again, with fast aggressive Asian field hockey.
> > 11 goals in a game is almost unheard of these days. Gagan at his best,
> > and Indian Hockey for a while showing signs of revival with the (then)
> > new guard of Gagan, Deepak, and Prabhjot up front. Sadly, none of them
> > lived up to their promise. Gagan in particular never showed the
> > temperament of a champion. If memory serves me right, him and Prabhjot
> > was involved in a physical scuffle with Saqlain in this very game
> > after India were 7-4 ahead. That sort of thing became all too frequent
> > with Gagan Ajit, and he faded away after promising much.

>    PS: I've cross-posted this to the field-hockey newsgroup so
>    that other field-hockey lovers can enjoy some great hockey
>    moments.

Thanks much - video gems to be saved for posterity