The first time we've ever seen the best of the best all together

The first time we've ever seen the best of the best all together

Post by Wayn » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:21:46


... why can't we see this sort of thing every year or two?
 
 
 

The first time we've ever seen the best of the best all together

Post by CiL » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:22:22



Quote:
>... why can't we see this sort of thing every year or two?

u want tsunamis to hit again?  

quite sick of u, na?

 
 
 

The first time we've ever seen the best of the best all together

Post by phantom » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 03:35:35


Quote:
> ... why can't we see this sort of thing every year or two?

Richard Hadlee's Testimonial back in 1993 (?) had some pretty good players

 
 
 

The first time we've ever seen the best of the best all together

Post by Darkfal » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:37:17

ICC are going to have "Best against the rest" every year from now on, I
think. IOW Australia vs Rest of the World.
 
 
 

The first time we've ever seen the best of the best all together

Post by Andrew Dunfor » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:13:43


Quote:
> ICC are going to have "Best against the rest" every year from now on, I
> think. IOW Australia vs Rest of the World.

I'd have thought Australia was strong enough on its own without being teamed
up with the Isle of Wight.

Incidentally, the series later this year will be between a World XI and the
team which is top of the ICC's rankings on 1 April.  Obviously the latter is
likely to be Australia in both forms of the game, but in odo cricket at
least they can still be overtaken.

Andrew

 
 
 

The first time we've ever seen the best of the best all together

Post by John Hal » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:41:00


Quote:

>... why can't we see this sort of thing every year or two?

It's not the first time, though it may be the first time in a limited
overs match. In 1987, a f-c match to celebrate MCC's bicentenary had
very close to the best 22 players in the world at the time taking part.

As to having a match like this every year or two, I imagine that the
players these days are so heavily committed that scheduling it might be
difficult. Obviously this was a very special occasion, but doing it
every year the novelty might start to  wear off.
--
John Hall
             "Honest criticism is hard to take,
               particularly from a relative, a friend,
               an acquaintance, or a stranger."        Franklin P Jones

 
 
 

The first time we've ever seen the best of the best all together

Post by Michael Set » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:31:50

Quote:

>Incidentally, the series later this year will be between a World XI and the
>team which is top of the ICC's rankings on 1 April.  Obviously the latter is
>likely to be Australia in both forms of the game, but in odo cricket at
>least they can still be overtaken.

I was aware that in NZ beat both Sri Lanka and Australia in the odo
series played early
2005 they would be the number 1 team in the rankings on April 1. Given
that only
one of the games vs Sri Lanka was played what result would have to happen in
the NZ vs Australia series in order for Australia not to be number 1? I
suspect that they
would have to lose badly to NZ and not do very well in the VB series.
Not too
likely though not impossible.

Michael

 
 
 

The first time we've ever seen the best of the best all together

Post by JP » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:16:29


Quote:
>... why can't we see this sort of thing every year or two?

In addition to the other replies - particularly the reply referring to
the MCC Bicentennial Match - I would like to point out that the
absence of Jaques Kallis from yesterday's game means that it was not
*quite* the best of the best *all* together.

--

JPD

 
 
 

The first time we've ever seen the best of the best all together

Post by Andrew Dunfor » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:40:02


Quote:

> >... why can't we see this sort of thing every year or two?

> In addition to the other replies - particularly the reply referring to
> the MCC Bicentennial Match - I would like to point out that the
> absence of Jaques Kallis from yesterday's game means that it was not
> *quite* the best of the best *all* together.

There's also a rumour that England thinks it has finally discovered a fast
bowler worthy of the name.

Andrew

 
 
 

The first time we've ever seen the best of the best all together

Post by Aditya Basru » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:54:25


Quote:




> > >... why can't we see this sort of thing every year or two?

> > In addition to the other replies - particularly the reply referring to
> > the MCC Bicentennial Match - I would like to point out that the
> > absence of Jaques Kallis from yesterday's game means that it was not
> > *quite* the best of the best *all* together.

> There's also a rumour that England thinks it has finally discovered a fat
> bowler worthy of the name.

Yes, that's why they sent Gough.

Aditya [ Typos corrected. ] Basrur

 
 
 

The first time we've ever seen the best of the best all together

Post by tuolla.. » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:43:07

Quote:


> >... why can't we see this sort of thing every year or two?

> In addition to the other replies - particularly the reply referring
to
> the MCC Bicentennial Match - I would like to point out that the
> absence of Jaques Kallis from yesterday's game means that it was not
> *quite* the best of the best *all* together.

Hmm, you are right. But it was Ganguly and Razzaq in the "Asia's
Finest" lineup that tipped me off that perhaps this wasnt the
best-of-best.
Quote:

> --

> JPD

 
 
 

The first time we've ever seen the best of the best all together

Post by Bob Duber » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:00:59

Quote:

> It's not the first time, though it may be the first time in a limited
> overs match. In 1987, a f-c match to celebrate MCC's bicentenary had
> very close to the best 22 players in the world at the time taking

part.

There's also the question of how you allocate players to teams. In 1987
there was a team comprised of players turning out for counties and a
"rest" team. I don't believe that'd give you an even contest now.

North v South might work.

North: England, West Indies, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangles
South: Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Zimbabwe and maybe Kenya.

Maybe a festival match to be held at the conclusion of each CWC and
no-champs? That way the host nation gets rotated.