Who do you think will play at Mumbai?

Who do you think will play at Mumbai?

Post by R. Bharat Ra » Tue, 02 Nov 2004 17:55:41


Now that Ganguly is unfit, I think the final Test team selects itself
(at least in the eyes of the Big 5).  Again, this is the "who do you
think will be selected" -- not "who would you select yourself".

Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar,
Laxman, Kaif (VVSL may have got axed were SCG fit)
Karthik (or however he spells his name -- the keeper not the bowler)
Kumble,  Harbhajan, Khan, Nehra

Boy, that last 5 looks very brittle indeed, compared to having Patel and
Pathan at 7 and 8.

Also, that hip injury probably saved Ganguly's captaincy, both by
keeping him off the field when India lost, and also because Dravid didn't
shine by any stretch of the imagination in Nagpur.  He gets one more
chance to press his case for national leadership in Mumbai.

Bharat

--
"He's baaaaaaack.  All's well with the world."
(Bill the Cat, thats who)


(remove "-nospam-this" to reply)

 
 
 

Who do you think will play at Mumbai?

Post by Paji » Tue, 02 Nov 2004 19:44:33

Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar,Laxman, Kaif
D Kaarthick
M Karthik, Khan, Kumble,  Harbhajan

What about the Aussie team ? Ponting will be back. Is Lee likely to get a
nod
ahead of Kasper? 10-90 in favor of Lee I  would say.



Quote:
> Now that Ganguly is unfit, I think the final Test team selects itself
> (at least in the eyes of the Big 5).  Again, this is the "who do you
> think will be selected" -- not "who would you select yourself".

> Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar,
> Laxman, Kaif (VVSL may have got axed were SCG fit)
> Karthik (or however he spells his name -- the keeper not the bowler)
> Kumble,  Harbhajan, Khan, Nehra

> Boy, that last 5 looks very brittle indeed, compared to having Patel and
> Pathan at 7 and 8.

> Also, that hip injury probably saved Ganguly's captaincy, both by
> keeping him off the field when India lost, and also because Dravid didn't
> shine by any stretch of the imagination in Nagpur.  He gets one more
> chance to press his case for national leadership in Mumbai.

> Bharat

> --
> "He's baaaaaaack.  All's well with the world."
> (Bill the Cat, thats who)


> (remove "-nospam-this" to reply)


 
 
 

Who do you think will play at Mumbai?

Post by India Fa » Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:47:01



Quote:
> Now that Ganguly is unfit, I think the final Test team selects itself
> (at least in the eyes of the Big 5).  Again, this is the "who do you
> think will be selected" -- not "who would you select yourself".

> Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar,
> Laxman, Kaif (VVSL may have got axed were SCG fit)

Do you think Laxman should've been dropped if Ganguly played?  I find it
amazing that there are so many posts
calling for Laxman's head.  I thought he did enough to survive failure for
two series.  I know this thread is not
about that but I'm curious to know your opinion.
Quote:
> Karthik (or however he spells his name -- the keeper not the bowler)
> Kumble,  Harbhajan, Khan, Nehra

> Boy, that last 5 looks very brittle indeed, compared to having Patel and
> Pathan at 7 and 8.

> Also, that hip injury probably saved Ganguly's captaincy, both by
> keeping him off the field when India lost, and also because Dravid didn't
> shine by any stretch of the imagination in Nagpur.  He gets one more
> chance to press his case for national leadership in Mumbai.

> Bharat

> --
> "He's baaaaaaack.  All's well with the world."
> (Bill the Cat, thats who)


> (remove "-nospam-this" to reply)


 
 
 

Who do you think will play at Mumbai?

Post by Prakash Melwan » Wed, 03 Nov 2004 15:29:25


Quote:



> > Now that Ganguly is unfit, I think the final Test team selects itself
> > (at least in the eyes of the Big 5).  Again, this is the "who do you
> > think will be selected" -- not "who would you select yourself".

> > Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar,
> > Laxman, Kaif (VVSL may have got axed were SCG fit)

> Do you think Laxman should've been dropped if Ganguly played?  I find it
> amazing that there are so many posts
> calling for Laxman's head.  I thought he did enough to survive failure for
> two series.  I know this thread is not
> about that but I'm curious to know your opinion.

Turning the question around, who do you think would have been dropped from
the above 6 names if Dada was also playing?

Prakash

Quote:

> > Karthik (or however he spells his name -- the keeper not the bowler)
> > Kumble,  Harbhajan, Khan, Nehra

> > Boy, that last 5 looks very brittle indeed, compared to having Patel and
> > Pathan at 7 and 8.

> > Also, that hip injury probably saved Ganguly's captaincy, both by
> > keeping him off the field when India lost, and also because Dravid
didn't
> > shine by any stretch of the imagination in Nagpur.  He gets one more
> > chance to press his case for national leadership in Mumbai.

> > Bharat

> > --
> > "He's baaaaaaack.  All's well with the world."
> > (Bill the Cat, thats who)


> > (remove "-nospam-this" to reply)

 
 
 

Who do you think will play at Mumbai?

Post by India Fa » Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:09:34


Quote:





>> > Now that Ganguly is unfit, I think the final Test team selects itself
>> > (at least in the eyes of the Big 5).  Again, this is the "who do you
>> > think will be selected" -- not "who would you select yourself".

>> > Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar,
>> > Laxman, Kaif (VVSL may have got axed were SCG fit)

>> Do you think Laxman should've been dropped if Ganguly played?  I find it
>> amazing that there are so many posts
>> calling for Laxman's head.  I thought he did enough to survive failure
>> for
>> two series.  I know this thread is not
>> about that but I'm curious to know your opinion.

> Turning the question around, who do you think would have been dropped from
> the above 6 names if Dada was also playing?

I asked who should've been dropped, not who would've been.  To answer your
question I think Laxman
would've been dropped, there is a possibility though that Ganguly or Laxman
would've opened instead of
Gambhir.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
> Prakash

>> > Karthik (or however he spells his name -- the keeper not the bowler)
>> > Kumble,  Harbhajan, Khan, Nehra

>> > Boy, that last 5 looks very brittle indeed, compared to having Patel
>> > and
>> > Pathan at 7 and 8.

>> > Also, that hip injury probably saved Ganguly's captaincy, both by
>> > keeping him off the field when India lost, and also because Dravid
> didn't
>> > shine by any stretch of the imagination in Nagpur.  He gets one more
>> > chance to press his case for national leadership in Mumbai.

>> > Bharat

>> > --
>> > "He's baaaaaaack.  All's well with the world."
>> > (Bill the Cat, thats who)


>> > (remove "-nospam-this" to reply)

 
 
 

Who do you think will play at Mumbai?

Post by Prakash Melwan » Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:28:52


Quote:







> >> > Now that Ganguly is unfit, I think the final Test team selects itself
> >> > (at least in the eyes of the Big 5).  Again, this is the "who do you
> >> > think will be selected" -- not "who would you select yourself".

> >> > Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar,
> >> > Laxman, Kaif (VVSL may have got axed were SCG fit)

> >> Do you think Laxman should've been dropped if Ganguly played?  I find
it
> >> amazing that there are so many posts
> >> calling for Laxman's head.  I thought he did enough to survive failure
> >> for
> >> two series.  I know this thread is not
> >> about that but I'm curious to know your opinion.

> > Turning the question around, who do you think would have been dropped
from
> > the above 6 names if Dada was also playing?

> I asked who should've been dropped, not who would've been.  To answer your
> question I think Laxman
> would've been dropped, there is a possibility though that Ganguly or
Laxman
> would've opened instead of
> Gambhir.

So would I. And I also think that he should have because he has failed in
this series.

Clearly you are implying VVSL should not be so who should (not would) have
been dropped IYHO? And why?

Prakash

 
 
 

Who do you think will play at Mumbai?

Post by India Fa » Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:34:21


Quote:









>> >> > Now that Ganguly is unfit, I think the final Test team selects
>> >> > itself
>> >> > (at least in the eyes of the Big 5).  Again, this is the "who do you
>> >> > think will be selected" -- not "who would you select yourself".

>> >> > Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar,
>> >> > Laxman, Kaif (VVSL may have got axed were SCG fit)

>> >> Do you think Laxman should've been dropped if Ganguly played?  I find
> it
>> >> amazing that there are so many posts
>> >> calling for Laxman's head.  I thought he did enough to survive failure
>> >> for
>> >> two series.  I know this thread is not
>> >> about that but I'm curious to know your opinion.

>> > Turning the question around, who do you think would have been dropped
> from
>> > the above 6 names if Dada was also playing?

>> I asked who should've been dropped, not who would've been.  To answer
>> your
>> question I think Laxman
>> would've been dropped, there is a possibility though that Ganguly or
> Laxman
>> would've opened instead of
>> Gambhir.

> So would I. And I also think that he should have because he has failed in
> this series.

> Clearly you are implying VVSL should not be so who should (not would) have
> been dropped IYHO? And why?

Ganguly.
The why part answers itself I think, I mean its Ganguly vs Laxman in tests!

Now if you say you can't drop Ganguly becausee he's captain, I would have
Laxman or Ganguly open
and make Gambhir wait.

 
 
 

Who do you think will play at Mumbai?

Post by Prakash Melwan » Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:40:05


Quote:











> >> >> > Now that Ganguly is unfit, I think the final Test team selects
> >> >> > itself
> >> >> > (at least in the eyes of the Big 5).  Again, this is the "who do
you
> >> >> > think will be selected" -- not "who would you select yourself".

> >> >> > Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar,
> >> >> > Laxman, Kaif (VVSL may have got axed were SCG fit)

> >> >> Do you think Laxman should've been dropped if Ganguly played?  I
find
> > it
> >> >> amazing that there are so many posts
> >> >> calling for Laxman's head.  I thought he did enough to survive
failure
> >> >> for
> >> >> two series.  I know this thread is not
> >> >> about that but I'm curious to know your opinion.

> >> > Turning the question around, who do you think would have been dropped
> > from
> >> > the above 6 names if Dada was also playing?

> >> I asked who should've been dropped, not who would've been.  To answer
> >> your
> >> question I think Laxman
> >> would've been dropped, there is a possibility though that Ganguly or
> > Laxman
> >> would've opened instead of
> >> Gambhir.

> > So would I. And I also think that he should have because he has failed
in
> > this series.

> > Clearly you are implying VVSL should not be so who should (not would)
have
> > been dropped IYHO? And why?

> Ganguly.
> The why part answers itself I think, I mean its Ganguly vs Laxman in
tests!

> Now if you say you can't drop Ganguly becausee he's captain,

Yes

Quote:
>I would have
> Laxman or Ganguly open
> and make Gambhir wait.

If Ganguly wanted to open, he would have previously instead of messing
around with Yuvi. So I presume that Dada does not wish to open in Tests.

Also IIRC Laxman has previously stated that he does not want to open.

So we have a problem but I agree with you that either Ganguly or Laxman
should open. However since neither is willing to do so and Ganguly is/was
captain and cannot be dropped, I think the only feasible option would be for
Laxman to be dropped.

Prakash

P.S. I note that both Laxman and Kaif together totalled Gambhir in the
latter's debut :-)

 
 
 

Who do you think will play at Mumbai?

Post by India Fa » Sat, 06 Nov 2004 14:18:52


Quote:













>> >> >> > Now that Ganguly is unfit, I think the final Test team selects
>> >> >> > itself
>> >> >> > (at least in the eyes of the Big 5).  Again, this is the "who do
> you
>> >> >> > think will be selected" -- not "who would you select yourself".

>> >> >> > Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar,
>> >> >> > Laxman, Kaif (VVSL may have got axed were SCG fit)

>> >> >> Do you think Laxman should've been dropped if Ganguly played?  I
> find
>> > it
>> >> >> amazing that there are so many posts
>> >> >> calling for Laxman's head.  I thought he did enough to survive
> failure
>> >> >> for
>> >> >> two series.  I know this thread is not
>> >> >> about that but I'm curious to know your opinion.

>> >> > Turning the question around, who do you think would have been
>> >> > dropped
>> > from
>> >> > the above 6 names if Dada was also playing?

>> >> I asked who should've been dropped, not who would've been.  To answer
>> >> your
>> >> question I think Laxman
>> >> would've been dropped, there is a possibility though that Ganguly or
>> > Laxman
>> >> would've opened instead of
>> >> Gambhir.

>> > So would I. And I also think that he should have because he has failed
> in
>> > this series.

>> > Clearly you are implying VVSL should not be so who should (not would)
> have
>> > been dropped IYHO? And why?

>> Ganguly.
>> The why part answers itself I think, I mean its Ganguly vs Laxman in
> tests!

>> Now if you say you can't drop Ganguly becausee he's captain,

> Yes

>>I would have
>> Laxman or Ganguly open
>> and make Gambhir wait.

> If Ganguly wanted to open, he would have previously instead of messing
> around with Yuvi. So I presume that Dada does not wish to open in Tests.

> Also IIRC Laxman has previously stated that he does not want to open.

> So we have a problem but I agree with you that either Ganguly or Laxman
> should open. However since neither is willing to do so and Ganguly is/was
> captain and cannot be dropped, I think the only feasible option would be
> for
> Laxman to be dropped.

You think Laxman would prefer to sit out than open?  I don't think so.

Quote:
> Prakash

> P.S. I note that both Laxman and Kaif together totalled Gambhir in the
> latter's debut :-)

Now you can note what's happening in the second innings.