Bombay Update: (Marginally) Good News for Bombay

Bombay Update: (Marginally) Good News for Bombay

Post by Amol Cricketwall » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 03:57:36


...after quite a while, in the form of a title. The official BCA side
maintained an unbeaten record and won the JP Atray tournament in Chandigarh
last week, against some pretty decent sides.

[ all others can ignore this post if they wish, BTW - it deals with the
Atray tournament, but primarily with Bombay's performance only :-) ]

Bombay played a pretty depleted side, because quite a few Bombay office
teams were in the tourney and they had first priority on their players.
Air India, BPCL and Roofit were the other Bombay-based teams participating,
as well as MPCA, Punjab CA, Punjab Colts, Bishnoi, ONGC etc.

Air India had players like Dighe, Amre, Neeraj Patel, Harvinder Singh Sodhi,
Satish Samant etc.

BPCL is a new team that will play in the Times Shield this season, but
they are already good - they have Sanjay Raul, Robin Morris, Sairaj
Bahutule, Abhijit Kale etc, building a solid team from scratch.

Roofit is a well-known solid outfit already - they did decently in the Times
Shield last year, and got to the final of the KSCA Tournament in Bangalore
just a month ago. They had Hrishikesh Kanitkar, Anand Yalvigi (Kar),
Altaf Merchant (Guj), Jatin Paranjpe, Rakesh Patel (Baroda), Kiran
Powar, Ramesh Powar, Avinash Aware (Goa) etc.

The MPCA XI was basically the Madhya Pradesh Ranji side.

The PCA XI had several Punjab Ranji players, including Ravneet Ricky,
Munish Sharma, Dinesh Mongia, Vineet Kumar etc.

Bishnoi Club had J.Arun Kumar (Kar), Nikhil Chopra, Rashmi Ranjan Parida,
Kulamani Parida, Sanjay Bangar, Debashish Mohanty, Murali Karthik,
Tejinder Singh (Railways), Munish Arora (Punjab) etc.

ONGC had Gagan Khoda, Sandeep Sharma (Punjab), Mohammad Kaif, Mithun
Minhas (Delhi), Amit Bhandari, Sharandeep Singh, Rahul Sanghvi,
Mohd Saif, Gautam Vadhera, Manoj Mudgal, Ravi Sehgal (Delhi).

Bombay Cricket Association's team for the final (they rested some players
in the occasional league game) was: Jaffer, Mane, Milind Tamhane, Kambli,
Kunal More, Sushant Manjrekar, Abhijit Shetye(wk). And an attack of
Avishkar Salvi, Rupam Malviya, Vishal Tawde and Nilesh Kulkarni.

Bombay CA beat Air India by 25 runs in their first game, ONGC by 3 wickets
(with 9 overs to spare) in their second. They beat PCA Colts by 33 runs
in their third game. They then rested Jaffer, Kambli etc having already
qualified, and beat MPCA by 10 runs in their final league game. These were
all one-day games, 50-over contests.

The semis and finals were played over 2-days. In the semis, Bombay played
a loaded Bishnoi Cricket Club, and were dismissed for 229 late on the
first day. But they came back with 2 wickets at the end of the day (including
Bangar for a duck), and bowled Bishnoi out for 165 on the next day to win
by 64 runs, with Avishkar Salvi claiming 7-50.

In the finals, Bombay faced a loaded ONGC side. ONGC batted first, and
Bombay had them down to 95-6 by lunch, and 101-8, before they finally
ended up 143 allout before tea (ONGC had Khoda, Sandeep Sharma, Kaif,
Minhas, Sehgal, Mudgal, Vadhera, Saif etc, so this was a pretty good
performance). Salvi had 3-33, Vishal Tawde 2-48, and Nilesh Kulkarni
1-23. And the most effective bowler on the day was Rupam Malviya who
had barely played a game the entire tournament - he ended up with 4-32!

Chasing 143, Bombay was already 175-3 by the end of the first day itself
(and this was only a 2-day final), in 45 overs. An opening stand of 60,
and then Mane batted well to be 75* at the end of the day.

The next morning Mane fell for 85, and nobody else contributed greatly
to Bombay - all getting a few runs. Bombay were allout for 305, a lead
of 162, with only half a day's cricket left. ONGC ended the game at
132-5, with Tamhane and More claiming 2 wickets each.
---------

Anyway. A good result for Bombay - some good news after a long time, amid
all the desolation and despair :-) Rupam Malaviya got Man of the Match for
the finals, but the real find was probably Avishkar Salvi, who played pretty
much all the games and ended up with the Man of the Series award. Salvi
was pretty much the spearhead of a very new attack, and IMHO has probably
clearly moved to the top of the list for backup Bombay bowlers this season
in the Ranjis.

It looks like its going to be a very difficult but interesting year for
Bombay. The entire depth has been decimated by migration - what would have
been the entire "A team" for Bombay is going to be playing elsewhere this
season (and also some probable first-eleven members, of course). The pace
attack in particular looks completely decimated - if Agarkar is called
to national duty, Bombay will be left with an aging Paras Mhambrey, and
nobody else. Salvi will probably have to be #2 seamer in his debut
season, and others like Swapil Hazare will have to make a big step forward
after a few steps back lately (Hazare would be making his debut as well,
if he plays). The couple of years worth of investement in Santosh Saxena
will, I think, bear fruit this year - but it will bear fruit for Railways,
not Bombay (as already happened with Pangis) !

Railways, in particular, look like a terrific team this season - the latest
news from there is that Jacob Martin will be joining them from Baroda for
this season! If that happens (it looks like a done-deal, from what one
hears), then Railways will be *really* loaded this year

Sadiq [ who cant wait for the domestics to begin ] Yusuf

 
 
 

Bombay Update: (Marginally) Good News for Bombay

Post by Suresh Abrah » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 06:27:32

Quote:

> ...after quite a while, in the form of a title. The official BCA side
> maintained an unbeaten record and won the JP Atray tournament in Chandigarh
> last week, against some pretty decent sides.
> Bombay Cricket Association's team for the final (they rested some players
> in the occasional league game) was: Jaffer, Mane, Milind Tamhane, Kambli,
> Kunal More, Sushant Manjrekar, Abhijit Shetye(wk). And an attack of
> Avishkar Salvi, Rupam Malviya, Vishal Tawde and Nilesh Kulkarni.

What team does Patwardhan play for?

Quote:
> It looks like its going to be a very difficult but interesting year for
> Bombay. The entire depth has been decimated by migration - what would have
> been the entire "A team" for Bombay is going to be playing elsewhere this
> season (and also some probable first-eleven members, of course). The pace
> attack in particular looks completely decimated - if Agarkar is called
> to national duty, Bombay will be left with an aging Paras Mhambrey, and
> nobody else. Salvi will probably have to be #2 seamer in his debut
> season, and others like Swapil Hazare will have to make a big step forward
> after a few steps back lately (Hazare would be making his debut as well,
> if he plays). The couple of years worth of investement in Santosh Saxena
> will, I think, bear fruit this year - but it will bear fruit for Railways,
> not Bombay (as already happened with Pangis) !

Actually, Rlwy's investment in Pagnis hasn't really paid off.  He
does have high average; but he failed in all the crucial matches.
Going back to Bombay's pace attack, Isn't Kannan still around?
Or has he migrated as well?  Plus, Morris is still around, and
is a fairly good medium pacer.  

Quote:
> Railways, in particular, look like a terrific team this season - the latest
> news from there is that Jacob Martin will be joining them from Baroda for
> this season! If that happens (it looks like a done-deal, from what one
> hears), then Railways will be *really* loaded this year

> Sadiq [ who cant wait for the domestics to begin ] Yusuf

Hmm, so it is true!  Ihad heard inklings of that myself.
I don't know why Railways are bent on raiding the Baroda team.
I know, they are taking Mumbai players too, but losing front-line
players is much more expensive for a small city like Baroda.
Jacob goes to the same church my family goes to; although we
barely know each other.  I'll have to confront him when I visit
Baroda for X-Mus this December.  (-:

So what is the point of this post?  Mumbai may actually will win
West this year?  We shall see!  (-:

Suresh Abraham

 
 
 

Bombay Update: (Marginally) Good News for Bombay

Post by Amol Cricketwall » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 03:03:44

Quote:


> > Bombay Cricket Association's team for the final (they rested some players
> > in the occasional league game) was: Jaffer, Mane, Milind Tamhane, Kambli,
> > Kunal More, Sushant Manjrekar, Abhijit Shetye(wk). And an attack of
> > Avishkar Salvi, Rupam Malviya, Vishal Tawde and Nilesh Kulkarni.

> What team does Patwardhan play for?

Actually, Iam not sure. He used to play for Sungrace Mafatlal a couple
years ago at least - dont know if he is still with them. Sungrace didnt
play this tournament, so that cant be the reason he was left out - maybe
they just decided to give Shetye a go regardless (and he did decently
too, actually, on a couple of occasions). Patwardhan used to open for
Sungrace a couple of years ago, though, in a team with a wonderful
batting line-up at the time (Patwardhan, Sugwekar, Amol, SRT, Kambli,
Bedade :-)

Quote:
> > if he plays). The couple of years worth of investement in Santosh Saxena
> > will, I think, bear fruit this year - but it will bear fruit for Railways,
> > not Bombay (as already happened with Pangis) !

> Actually, Rlwy's investment in Pagnis hasn't really paid off.  He
> does have high average; but he failed in all the crucial matches.

Well, dunno about that. He was second in total runs for Railways last
season I think? They had no investement in him at all - Bombay did all
the spending of coaching/time/picking-in-side-when-unready etc, and
Railways just stepped up and got a 2nd-in-side-rungetter in their first
year :-) Overall he had more runs than Bangar, even - lots of early
round matches with good performances. And even at the end, they were
playing as a duo very well - Bangar would just sit on the splice and
not really score, while Pagnis did almost all the early scoring (the
first 20-odd runs were almost entirely Pagnis usually, IIRC) to keep
the board moving. But I agree - it wasnt the sort of breakout year
us fans had hoped for, despite the 600+ runs.

Quote:
> Going back to Bombay's pace attack, Isn't Kannan still around?
> Or has he migrated as well?  Plus, Morris is still around, and
> is a fairly good medium pacer.  

I dont think Kannan has migrated, but Ive heard nothing of him at all,
have been wondering about him. He seems to have vanished - didnt get picked
for the Buchi Babu, the Moin-ud-dowla, the Kenya tour, or here. I wonder
if he has been injured or something, must check on it.

Morris is ok - less of a bowler in fc cricket than he used to be, I think.
I think they will look at Salvi to take on the pace spearhead role almost,
even as he is making his debut! And that almost never happens with any
success (well, with certain exceptions like Zaheer - but then Zaheer had
been seriously knocking on the door for a couple of years at least, and
Salvi wasnt near contention last year, or even until a month ago).
Unfortunately it seems Hazare has taken a little bit of a step back over
the past few months in terms of form, so he might have dropped down the
pecking order - bad time for it.

It will all come down to the Times Shield, as usual - Bombay selectors are
not going to pick people on Buchi Babu or JP Atray performances anyway, they
will want to see performances in the Times Shield to start the season.

Quote:
> > Railways, in particular, look like a terrific team this season - the latest
> > news from there is that Jacob Martin will be joining them from Baroda for
> > this season! If that happens (it looks like a done-deal, from what one
> > hears), then Railways will be *really* loaded this year

> > Sadiq [ who cant wait for the domestics to begin ] Yusuf

> Hmm, so it is true!  Ihad heard inklings of that myself.
> I don't know why Railways are bent on raiding the Baroda team.

Heh. I think theyre just offering people jobs, and people are taking it
with gusto :-) This is a major problem in Bombay, much more than anywhere
else I think - which is why Bombay is in so much trouble now. Railways
has also taken Obaidullah from Hyderabad this year I believe, though I
doubt he'll play at all (Saxena, Khote, Harvinder if available, Bangar -
thats sufficient for Railways pace attack I think :-) But Martin is
probably the final piece of the puzzle - I had thought (and suggested
on rsc) a month ago that their one lack was a genuinely good middle-order
bat with experience, and that has been solved now as well! They dont
seem to have too many obvious holes at the moment, and if someone like
Karthik recovers his form and decides to make a push for national
recall, they could be *very* good.

Quote:
> I know, they are taking Mumbai players too, but losing front-line
> players is much more expensive for a small city like Baroda.
> Jacob goes to the same church my family goes to; although we
> barely know each other.  I'll have to confront him when I visit
> Baroda for X-Mus this December.  (-:

> So what is the point of this post?  Mumbai may actually will win
> West this year?  We shall see!  (-:

Not at all - just something to make Bombay fans feel a little better,
is all (it put a little smile on my face after a long time, really :-)
I thought Bombay was in serious trouble this year, and still do in a
lot of ways - I thought trouble in the sense that they might not actually
make the knockouts, and if that happens they will be in the 2nd division
to start Ranjis a year from now! Iam worried about a lot of things - I
have seen no indication of whats happening to Amol, for instance, after
he was dropped to end last year - will he even be there this year? Jatin
is slowly being sidelined too - he seems unwilling to play very much, and
Bombay might be looking to go younger as well. And none of the young bats
seem like particular standouts, and the pace attack will be full of
absolute novices! Sushant Manjrekar was the young bat and Swapnil Hazare
the young bowler we had hopes on, and both have slid backwards in the
past year. And Kannan too.

But at least with More doing something (he had one 70 and one 40* or so
in the Atray's, and one match of 4-30 with the ball IIRC), and Salvi
showing some signs (7-50 in the semis, and a Man of the Series award).. at
least with that, *some* of the kids look like they have a little spark!
Even that didnt look likely a month ago, really. Its a slightly less
grim situation, is all :-)

Sadiq [ who expects major trouble this year, still ] Yusuf

Quote:
> Suresh Abraham