When I read Graeme Smith's pre-match quote about the South African team not
being bothered by a bit of wind because they'd played in Port Elizabeth, my
first thought was "you don't know what you're talking about". After the
first day he admitted the wind had been stronger than he'd anticipated, and
today the wind was much stronger than yesterday.
Still, one has to say that South Africa has harnessed, or rather coped with,
the wind much the better of the two teams. Kallis and Pollock chugging in
off five paces may seem an incongruous sight, but eight of NZ's
first-innings wickets fell from balls bowled into the wind, which tends to
blow straight down the pitch.
I went along for the morning session, which started badly when NZ lost two
wickets whilst I was queueing to get in the gate. But it was worth the wait
to see Martin's innings. There was a decent round of applause the first
time he hit the ball, and the crowd erupted when he scored his run, the
significance of which was duly announced over the public address system. He
actually played about half a dozen half-decent shots, and was cruelly denied
a crack at getting on the scoresheet again when he drove one through extra
cover. The ball went most of the way to the boundary and was easily worth
two, but the batsmen were thinking about who should take strike for the next
over and after meeting in mid-pitch returned from whence they'd come.
On my way out of the ground at the lunch break I ran into Zane Whitehorn of
this parish, who was dressed in shirt sleeves and admitted to not having
brought along anything warmer to wear. I might pop in to Wellington
Hospital tomorrow to see how he's recovering.
1. Hey Dungford (TM), I am flying down to Wellington for the game
2. Hey Dungford (TM), what's the latest with the Black Craps (TM) injury watch?
3. Hey Dungford (TM), Bradburn didn't make the 1st XI
4. Hey Dungford (TM), what's the latest with that mangy cur, Muralitharan?
5. Hey Dungford (TM), what's the latest?
6. Hey Dungford (TM), I see you've been emailing cricinfo
7. Hey Dungford (TM), did you watch Matthew Bell bat?
8. Hey Dungford (TM), is our cupboard really that bare?
9. Hey Dungford (TM), what do you think of Tim Southee?
10. Hey Dungford (TM), where are the State Championship updates?
11. Hey Dungford (TM), did you see my Bring Back Bondy banner?
12. Hey Dungford (TM), any news on Bond?
13. Dungford (TM) and Crapats (TM) make Cricinfo commentary again!
14. Oh Crapond (TM) you so fine was: SHUT UP DUNGFORD (TM)!!!