Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by adipol » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:25:09


outfield catches ever--- it just hung on IMO...
lucky but it was a great catch...
 
 
 

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by Will_ » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 15:05:32


Quote:
> outfield catches ever--- it just hung on IMO...
> lucky but it was a great catch...

but Astles the other day was even better

 
 
 

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by Roadkil » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 17:44:40


Quote:



>> outfield catches ever--- it just hung on IMO...
>> lucky but it was a great catch...

> but Astles the other day was even better

Agreed.  Astle didn't fall over.

 
 
 

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by Rodney Hampso » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 18:08:14


Quote:





>>> outfield catches ever--- it just hung on IMO...
>>> lucky but it was a great catch...

>> but Astles the other day was even better

> Agreed.  Astle didn't fall over.

Not making a call on Astles as I haven't seen it, but Hogg didn't fall over,
if he didn't dive backwards he wouldn't have made it to the ball.
 
 
 

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by pharr » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 19:19:01


Quote:
> outfield catches ever--- it just hung on IMO...
> lucky but it was a great catch...

None better than Thommo's at deep backward square leg way back in the 70's.
He caught it running back toward the fence, one handed in his outstretched
index and middle fingers. Greatest ever (well, in my life time.)

pharro

 
 
 

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by adipol » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 19:25:31

Quote:



>> outfield catches ever--- it just hung on IMO...
>> lucky but it was a great catch...

> None better than Thommo's at deep backward square leg way back in the 70's.
> He caught it running back toward the fence, one handed in his outstretched
> index and middle fingers. Greatest ever (well, in my life time.)

> pharro

I haven't seen this one... is it one youtube or google video ?
 
 
 

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by maie » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 19:28:56

come on people, Brett Lee v NZ in 2000 in a one day game, in the shadows
running , dived one had opulled off the bets one i have seen, no-one seems
to remember this one.


Quote:



> >> outfield catches ever--- it just hung on IMO...
> >> lucky but it was a great catch...

> > None better than Thommo's at deep backward square leg way back in the
70's.
> > He caught it running back toward the fence, one handed in his
outstretched
> > index and middle fingers. Greatest ever (well, in my life time.)

> > pharro

> I haven't seen this one... is it one youtube or google video ?

 
 
 

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by Will_ » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 19:36:15


Quote:







>>>> outfield catches ever--- it just hung on IMO...
>>>> lucky but it was a great catch...

>>> but Astles the other day was even better

>> Agreed.  Astle didn't fall over.

> Not making a call on Astles as I haven't seen it, but Hogg didn't fall
> over, if he didn't dive backwards he wouldn't have made it to the ball.

Saw it on a play of the week clip.

The ball seemed to clear the rope by about 8 feet but Astle jumped high in
the air and caught the ball behind him over the ropes but managed to land in
the field of play

two words..."absolutely brilliant"

 
 
 

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by Will_ » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 19:38:03


Quote:
> come on people, Brett Lee v NZ in 2000 in a one day game, in the shadows
> running , dived one had opulled off the bets one i have seen, no-one seems
> to remember this one.

throw in McGraths head long dive at Adelaide oval in the Ashes Test.....
 
 
 

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by Rodney Hampso » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 20:54:39


Quote:









>>>>> outfield catches ever--- it just hung on IMO...
>>>>> lucky but it was a great catch...

>>>> but Astles the other day was even better

>>> Agreed.  Astle didn't fall over.

>> Not making a call on Astles as I haven't seen it, but Hogg didn't fall
>> over, if he didn't dive backwards he wouldn't have made it to the ball.

> Saw it on a play of the week clip.

> The ball seemed to clear the rope by about 8 feet but Astle jumped high in
> the air and caught the ball behind him over the ropes but managed to land
> in the field of play

> two words..."absolutely brilliant"

Sounds it, would be good to see a clip if anyone has it.
 
 
 

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by Rodney Hampso » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 20:54:02


Quote:



>> come on people, Brett Lee v NZ in 2000 in a one day game, in the shadows
>> running , dived one had opulled off the bets one i have seen, no-one
>> seems
>> to remember this one.

> throw in McGraths head long dive at Adelaide oval in the Ashes Test.....

And Pontings in the finals of the VB series, diving backwards.
 
 
 

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by Sc.. » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 22:03:31


Quote:
> outfield catches ever--- it just hung on IMO...
> lucky but it was a great catch...

It was amazing, yes. Similar to Vasbert Drakes' effort in WC2003.
 
 
 

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by Bob Duber » Wed, 08 Mar 2006 00:42:04

Quote:

> outfield catches ever--- it just hung on IMO...
> lucky but it was a great catch...

Nah! Jonty Rhodes would have done that one handed, without even
looking, and would still have had time to reposition the bowler's
marker, gee up the side and put another elastoplast on his elbow.
 
 
 

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by Bob Duber » Wed, 08 Mar 2006 00:50:16

Quote:

> outfield catches ever--- it just hung on IMO...
> lucky but it was a great catch...

It was a good one allright, but at the risk of being a wet blanket I'd
like to say that we do get to see a lot of good catches these days. In
terms of great catches on the boundary I can remember a brilliant,
wrong-handed effort by Fanie de Villiers in an ODI against India in
1993 and a fantastic catch by Adam Bacher, also against India but in a
later season, to get rid of Sachin Tendulkar.

The best single bit of fielding in that match was by AB de Villiers,
but it's hard to know whether it was a moment of brilliance or just an
instinctual move that came off brilliantly.

I don't even know if there's much difference between brilliance and the
instinctual move other than "brilliance" usually having a sucessful
outcome ;-)

Of course, Jonty Rhodes could have done both at the same time whilst
signing autographs and filming a short speech, to be show on prime time
TV news, dedicating the match to Hansie Cronje.

 
 
 

Hogg's catch - one of the best ?

Post by Sc.. » Wed, 08 Mar 2006 01:00:07


Quote:


>> outfield catches ever--- it just hung on IMO...
>> lucky but it was a great catch...

> Nah! Jonty Rhodes would have done that one handed, without even
> looking, and would still have had time to reposition the bowler's
> marker, gee up the side and put another elastoplast on his elbow.

lol