Mumbai to play Karachi, Jaffer skipper

Mumbai to play Karachi, Jaffer skipper

Post by Sanjiv Karmarka » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:25:55


Ranji trophy champs Mumbai will play Karachi, the champions of the
domestic tourney in Pakistan.  Surprisingly, Wasim Jaffer is the
captain.

Few things to note:
1.  Amol Muzumdar is unavailable since he spends him summers playing
minor leagues in England, and that is such waste of one of the best
bats around.
2.  In Amol's absence, I would have expected to see Nilesh Kulkarni at
the helm.  Perhaps the rumors of Kulkarni contemplating joining the
ICL are true.  Although Kulkarni is in the team, he may not have
committed yet for the upcoming Ranji season.
3.  Indulkar is back.
4.  Both Samant and Marathe are omitted.  I'm not sure who the WK is.
Is Gurav a keeper?  Perhaps Sadiq can help.

Mumbai team:
Wasim Jaffer, Vinayak Mane, Sahil Kukreja, Hiken Shah, Vinit Indulkar,
Abhishek Nayar, Onkar Gurav, Avishkar Salvi, Rajesh Varma, Iqbal
Abdulla, Vikrant Yelgetti, Prashant Naik, Ajinkya Rahane, Nilesh
Kulkarni.

Since this is the 1st post of the upcoming domestic season, allow me
to make my annual prediction:

This year, it's going to Maharashtra all the way!

Sanjiv Karmarkar

 
 
 

Mumbai to play Karachi, Jaffer skipper

Post by wisde » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:52:27


Quote:
> 1.  Amol Muzumdar is unavailable since he spends him summers playing
> minor leagues in England, and that is such waste of one of the best
> bats around.
> 2.  In Amol's absence, I would have expected to see Nilesh Kulkarni at
> the helm.  Perhaps the rumors of Kulkarni contemplating joining the
> ICL are true.  >

They are talking about even Amol Muzumdar joining ICL....
http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Amol_Nilesh_could_move_over_to_ICL/arti...

 
 
 

Mumbai to play Karachi, Jaffer skipper

Post by Southpa » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:19:08


Quote:
> Ranji trophy champs Mumbai will play Karachi, the champions of the
> domestic tourney in Pakistan.  Surprisingly, Wasim Jaffer is the
> captain.

> Few things to note:
> 1.  Amol Muzumdar is unavailable since he spends him summers playing
> minor leagues in England, and that is such waste of one of the best
> bats around.
> 2.  In Amol's absence, I would have expected to see Nilesh Kulkarni at
> the helm.  Perhaps the rumors of Kulkarni contemplating joining the
> ICL are true.  Although Kulkarni is in the team, he may not have
> committed yet for the upcoming Ranji season.

Kulkarni also played league cricket in England this summer. But his
contract seems to have the best terms of anyone's. It permitted him a
jaunt or two to the US to play here, and he seems to be back in India
early. A couple of others who were approached to play here in the US,
expressed interest, but claimed their contracts prevented them from
participating. And Muzumdar's contract seems to last the full duration
of the summer.

-Samarth.

 
 
 

Mumbai to play Karachi, Jaffer skipper

Post by Sanjiv Karmarka » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:31:39


Quote:

> > Ranji trophy champs Mumbai will play Karachi, the champions of the
> > domestic tourney in Pakistan.  Surprisingly, Wasim Jaffer is the
> > captain.

> > Few things to note:
> > 1.  Amol Muzumdar is unavailable since he spends him summers playing
> > minor leagues in England, and that is such waste of one of the best
> > bats around.
> > 2.  In Amol's absence, I would have expected to see Nilesh Kulkarni at
> > the helm.  Perhaps the rumors of Kulkarni contemplating joining the
> > ICL are true.  Although Kulkarni is in the team, he may not have
> > committed yet for the upcoming Ranji season.

> Kulkarni also played league cricket in England this summer. But his
> contract seems to have the best terms of anyone's. It permitted him a
> jaunt or two to the US to play here, and he seems to be back in India
> early. A couple of others who were approached to play here in the US,
> expressed interest, but claimed their contracts prevented them from
> participating. And Muzumdar's contract seems to last the full duration
> of the summer.

> -Samarth.

This probably has to do with the fact that Amol gets paid unusually
well - by the Durham league standards of course.  I doubt Nilesh gets
paid that well and therefore can take a few liberties.

Of course, ICL will pay Amol a lot more but then he wouldn't be able
to play for Mumbai and that would break his heart.

The question facing ICL is; what's the price of Amols's heart?  :-)

Sanjiv Karmarkar

 
 
 

Mumbai to play Karachi, Jaffer skipper

Post by Cricketwalla » Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:50:00

Quote:

> Ranji trophy champs Mumbai will play Karachi, the champions of the
> domestic tourney in Pakistan.  Surprisingly, Wasim Jaffer is the
> captain.

Iam not that surprised by it, FWIW. Bombay often goes with a guy
who has played internationals lately as skipper - a year or two ago
they appointed Agarkar skipper, but he endedup getting back into
the Indian side and became unavailable again.

Quote:
> Few things to note:
> 1.  Amol Muzumdar is unavailable since he spends him summers playing
> minor leagues in England, and that is such waste of one of the best
> bats around.
> 2.  In Amol's absence, I would have expected to see Nilesh Kulkarni at
> the helm.  Perhaps the rumors of Kulkarni contemplating joining the
> ICL are true.  Although Kulkarni is in the team, he may not have
> committed yet for the upcoming Ranji season

I didnt really expect Nilesh to be captain - he was skipper 2 years
ago,
and then they moved on and brought in Amol over him. I dunno if they
would want to go back to Nilesh again, not with Jaffer available and
playing.
.

Quote:
> 3.  Indulkar is back.
> 4.  Both Samant and Marathe are omitted.  I'm not sure who the WK is.
> Is Gurav a keeper?  Perhaps Sadiq can help.

Yes, Omkar Gurav was India U19s keeper last season. He didnt bat
as far up the order as Marathe (who was either opener or #3 usually,
for Bombay U19 and also India U19), but he contributed nicely with
the bat. I suspect Gurav is a better gloveman, he's been regarded
quite
highly the last year or two, and when theyve picked Marathe for Bombay
theyve almost always picked him as a pure batsman (he has kept for
Bombay only in OD cricket, and maybe 1 fc game I think - the other
fc games he was taken as a bat, with Samant still donning the gloves).
Gurav was in the process of passing Marathe as keeper last year
I think - Marathe needs to score more, and maybe make a push as
a batsman and OD keeper  (which will be very hard for Marathe - as
pure batsman there are a few good guys near the top of hte order
already, and theyre youngish too. Jaffer obviouisly, and Mane, and
Kukreja - who just got a ton in the Buchi Babu for Bombay. And
Rahane too. All these guys are already ahead of him for opener and
#3 spots as batsmen).

Vinayak Samant... I think he should join ICL :-) He was illtreated in
the past, and he has served Bombay very well, but he is oldish. Still
a very good gloveman who sometimes contributes usefully with the
bat, but already out of the Bombay OD team for the past 2 years, and
probably doesnt have much time left for Bombay in Ranjis either.
Certaintly not 3 years. As a current defending Ranji champs final
XI member, he may command some attention for ICL, and 90 lakhs
over 3 years would be a nice severance package for him. And we
can move onto Gurav at Ranji keeper, and Marathe as OD keeper,
with Bangera around if needed. (The current Bombay U19 keeper,
Abhjijit Sathe, taking over the U19 gloves from Gurav from last year
I
think, has already been picked up by Assam for their Ranji squad!)

Quote:
> Mumbai team:
> Wasim Jaffer, Vinayak Mane, Sahil Kukreja, Hiken Shah, Vinit Indulkar,
> Abhishek Nayar, Onkar Gurav, Avishkar Salvi, Rajesh Varma, Iqbal
> Abdulla, Vikrant Yelgetti, Prashant Naik, Ajinkya Rahane, Nilesh
> Kulkarni.

> Since this is the 1st post of the upcoming domestic season, allow me
> to make my annual prediction:

> This year, it's going to Maharashtra all the way!

All the way down to Div2? I think they'll do better than that, you
shouldnt
be so pessimistic :-)

Maharashta is doing its typical thing, paying money to lure
mercenaries
(unlike us, who win by developing our own!) They have stolen away
Venugopal Rao from Andhra this year ,which should be a pretty good
pickup, really.

Sadiq [ Avishkar Salvi took 4/18 yesterday, which was nice ] Yusuf

Quote:
> Sanjiv Karmarkar

 
 
 

Mumbai to play Karachi, Jaffer skipper

Post by Sanjiv Karmarka » Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:43:50


Quote:
> I didnt really expect Nilesh to be captain - he was skipper 2 years ago,
> and then they moved on and brought in Amol over him. I dunno if they
> would want to go back to Nilesh again, not with Jaffer available and
> playing.

So you don't think this has anything to do with the rumors of him
joining ICL?

Quote:
> > This year, it's going to Maharashtra all the way!

> All the way down to Div2? I think they'll do better than that, you
> shouldnt be so pessimistic :-)

Haven't we like beaten you 2 years in a row or something?  :-)

Quote:
> Maharashta is doing its typical thing, paying money to lure mercenaries
> (unlike us, who win by developing our own!) They have stolen away
> Venugopal Rao from Andhra this year ,which should be a pretty good
> pickup, really.

Hmm... A few names come to mind:  Karsan Ghavri, Vinoo Mankad, Munaf
Patel, Zaheer Khan.

Venugopal Rao was acquired in a hurry to replace Sriram who has joined
ICL.  Venugopal Rao made a statement the other day that his ancestry
is Marathi; not sure if he was serious.

Sanjiv Karmarkar

 
 
 

Mumbai to play Karachi, Jaffer skipper

Post by Andrew Dunfor » Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:58:43


Quote:
> Ranji trophy champs Mumbai will play Karachi, the champions of the
> domestic tourney in Pakistan.  Surprisingly, Wasim Jaffer is the
> captain.

Looks like you jinxed Jaffer, who has a knee injury and will not play:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/UK_CRICKET/idUKSP10350920070821

<snip>

Andrew

 
 
 

Mumbai to play Karachi, Jaffer skipper

Post by Cricketwalla » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:58:43

Quote:


> > I didnt really expect Nilesh to be captain - he was skipper 2 years ago,
> > and then they moved on and brought in Amol over him. I dunno if they
> > would want to go back to Nilesh again, not with Jaffer available and
> > playing.

> So you don't think this has anything to do with the rumors of him
> joining ICL?

I dont, no. He was listed in the squad with Jaffer captain... they
found out
he had some interest in the ICL only after that, and immediately
dropped
him from the side for Mungela (he had not yet made a decision, this
was 2 days ago, but the selectors said that they were making their
own decision since he was actually considering ICL at the time, and
had asked them for more time to make up his mind... they said they
were making their decision, and not waiting for him to make up his
mind on it).

News came thru today that Nilesh *has* decided to join the ICL - after
the selectors dropped himso promptly from the Nissar squad, he
probably
saw it was his best choice.

On the whole, I think Iam glad for Nilesh. Was thinking about it when
the
rumours first broke a couple days ago... he would be very useful to us
this year, maybe our #1 spinner for some matches (when Powar isnt
around). But he is old, doesnt have 3 more years left for us, surely -
I had even written here a year ago that I thought his best bet was to
move to a different Ranji side as a "pro". Also, Bombay wants to give
more games to Iqbal Abdullah.. he would be #2 spinner to Nilesh when
Powar is away, and Abdullah is a left-arm-orthodox too, and you really
want a little more variety than that.

Nilesh has been a great servant for Bombay cricket - has served us
long
and well, playing huge roles in some of our biggest triumphs. I
remember
especially his match-winning haul against Delhi in the Ranji final at
Gwalior (he was one of the top wickettakers of the year that season in
all the Ranjis, it led to his eventual picking for India). I remember
his
5-fer to beat Australia in one of Bombay's finest hours at the
Brabourne
Stadium. And his first-day 6-fer in the Ranji final against TN in
Madras
a couple of years ago, which set up another title win (the batsmen
responded to the 300 total with about 600, which clinched the game
right there). The only sad thing is that he got left out of the XI for
the
Ranji final on the morning of the game a few months ago... IMHO it was
a mistake, and its sad to think that was the last time he was part of
the Bombay squad, being left out for the biggest game of the year.

We could have used Nilesh's services for another year or so before
moving onto Abdullah, maybe... but he deserves to get a 90-lakh-
over-3-
years severance package more than most others, and he will get it
from ICL (BCA would have been more thrifty with their money :-) And
the added bonus is that he wont end up leading a team *against*
us, which would have been bittersweet for both him and us fans :-)

FWIW, I feel similarly about Amol, BTW. He is our captain, and Id love
to see him play on for Bombay... but we are probably in a bit of a
rebuilding mode, unlikely to win a title this year (last year was
probably
Amol's finest hour, with a fantastic comeback and 3 titles). Amol too,
however, will probably not get another *three* years with Bombay. If
ICL really offers him a fantastic deal which can serve as a genuinely
great severance package... ok, it'd be nice if they ideally waited
another
year (or maybe even two) before offering it :-), but Id be glad for
him
to have that opportunity to set himself up, they are clearly
overpaying
at this time after all. He isnt gone yet, but if and when he goes, he
will
still remain a Bombay Bat to me (and it may even give me some
incentive
to look at the ICL scorecards once in a while, to see how he is doing
there  :-)

Quote:
> > > This year, it's going to Maharashtra all the way!

> > All the way down to Div2? I think they'll do better than that, you
> > shouldnt be so pessimistic :-)

> Haven't we like beaten you 2 years in a row or something?  :-)

Group B: Maharashtra v Mumbai at Nasik - Jan 10-13, 2007
Mumbai 515/8d; Maharashtra 190 and 171
Mumbai won by an innings and 154 runs.

Seven months ago, that was. How soon they forget! Theek hai, yeh
saal ek baar phir naani yaad dilana padega.

Quote:
> > Maharashta is doing its typical thing, paying money to lure mercenaries
> > (unlike us, who win by developing our own!) They have stolen away
> > Venugopal Rao from Andhra this year ,which should be a pretty good
> > pickup, really.

> Hmm... A few names come to mind:  Karsan Ghavri, Vinoo Mankad, Munaf
> Patel, Zaheer Khan.

Bah. Zaheer we taught to bowl, when all he was thinking of was Civil
Engineering (Sudhir Naik at National took a hand). Munaf was at
MRF Pace Academy! Who do you think took remedial action against
that disease, and sudhrofied the poor boy enough so that one day he
could actually bowl for India, despite the early handicap TA Shekhar's
goons had saddled him with? Of course, as soon as we had fixed
the poor chap and set him on the Right Path, the Maharashtrians
come and steal him away with fithly lucre... but luckily they only had
him
for a year, not enough time to ruin him before he reached India level!
Vinoobhai we also taught to play - and he was so grateful he gave us
his sons to continue our Ranji-title tradition!

Quote:
> Venugopal Rao was acquired in a hurry to replace Sriram who has joined
> ICL.  Venugopal Rao made a statement the other day that his ancestry
> is Marathi; not sure if he was serious.

Is Yalaka a Marathi name, then?

Sadiq [ damn Madrasis caused it to rain on us 2 straight days in
BuchiBabu] Yusuf

Quote:
> Sanjiv Karmarkar