Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by afri.. » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00


Brian Lara has just scored 4000 runs in test cricket,it
took him 45 tests.Compare this with Steve Waugh who took
72 tests and Mark Waugh,who took 60 tests.

Sachin Tendulkar hasn't scored 4000 runs in 53 tests.
Aravinda de Silva hasn't scored 4000 runs in 61 tests.

Take a bow Brian,hoping to see you again in Barbados.

Barbados,our island home
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/6157/

A shop on the Island
http://members.tripod.com/~L_Small/shop.htm

-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

 
 
 

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by Donald Ros » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00


| Brian Lara has just scored 4000 runs in test cricket,it
| took him 45 tests.Compare this with Steve Waugh who took
| 72 tests and Mark Waugh,who took 60 tests.
|
| Sachin Tendulkar hasn't scored 4000 runs in 53 tests.
| Aravinda de Silva hasn't scored 4000 runs in 61 tests.
|
| Take a bow Brian,hoping to see you again in Barbados.
|
]]      Yeh, but if I wanted someone to bat for my life,
        I think I       would still pick Steve Waugh over the
        other two.  Wouldn't you?????
|
--
"Happiness for a bee or a dolphin is simply to exist:
for a man it is to know and to wonder."
              Jaques-Yves Cousteau, 1910-1997
VALE          The world is now poorer

Rosebud

 
 
 

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by Jason Da » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Brian Lara has just scored 4000 runs in test cricket,it
> took him 45 tests.Compare this with Steve Waugh who took
> 72 tests and Mark Waugh,who took 60 tests.

> Sachin Tendulkar hasn't scored 4000 runs in 53 tests.
> Aravinda de Silva hasn't scored 4000 runs in 61 tests.

> Take a bow Brian,hoping to see you again in Barbados.

(snip)

An interesting fact that was related by Ian Chappell during the first
day's play at Old Trafford; of the 5750 or so runs that Steve Waugh has
scored in Test Cricket, the last 3,000 have been scored at an average of
75.00. This is since 1993.

 
 
 

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by Colin Lo » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: Brian Lara has just scored 4000 runs in test cricket,it
: took him 45 tests.Compare this with Steve Waugh who took
: 72 tests and Mark Waugh,who took 60 tests.
:
: Sachin Tendulkar hasn't scored 4000 runs in 53 tests.
: Aravinda de Silva hasn't scored 4000 runs in 61 tests.

Two things to note. One: tests aren't accurate enough, try innings
and completed innings prefereably. S Waugh batted at 7-9 for a
while so he may not have much chance to bat twice in many tests.
Likewise completed innings are a more accurate since you don't
penalise some who didn't get out.

Two: Steve Waugh started out as an allrounder, so comparing his
early tests as an allrounder (he is now a specialist batsman),
against the early tests of specialist batsman is a bit misleading.

Colin

 
 
 

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by Martin Sneesb » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:


> : Brian Lara has just scored 4000 runs in test cricket,it
> : took him 45 tests.Compare this with Steve Waugh who took
> : 72 tests and Mark Waugh,who took 60 tests.
> :
> : Sachin Tendulkar hasn't scored 4000 runs in 53 tests.
> : Aravinda de Silva hasn't scored 4000 runs in 61 tests.

> Two things to note. One: tests aren't accurate enough, try innings
> and completed innings prefereably. S Waugh batted at 7-9 for a

Find one test where he batted at 9! To be honest, I can't remeber him
ever batting lower than 6 although I'd be preapred to accept that he
occassionally came in at 7 in his early days.

Martin

 
 
 

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by C » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Brian Lara has just scored 4000 runs in test cricket,it
>took him 45 tests.Compare this with Steve Waugh who took
>72 tests and Mark Waugh,who took 60 tests.

Well it does depend where you bat in the order.
If you bat lower down you may not get a bat and if
you do and there's a batting collapse then you have to
play with the tailenders.

Anyway S Waugh in the past 3 years has averages around
75 in test cricket. Not bad a thought.

Lara hasn't got to ten test hundreds yet.

Quote:
>Sachin Tendulkar hasn't scored 4000 runs in 53 tests.
>Aravinda de Silva hasn't scored 4000 runs in 61 tests.

Bradman scored 6996 in 52 tests. Including 29 hundreds.
Proberbly one of the few batsman in test history to score
more hundreds than fifties.

Against England Bradman scored 19 centuries in 63 innings
with a total of 5028 runs.

Quote:
>Take a bow Brian,hoping to see you again in Barbados.

Just get your fast bowler to bowl around the wicket like
Glen McGrath did which cramped Lara up.
Quote:
>Barbados,our island home
>http://www.geocities.com/Baja/6157/
>A shop on the Island
>http://members.tripod.com/~L_Small/shop.htm
>-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
>      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

 
 
 

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by Tim Cotsfor » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:


> > Brian Lara has just scored 4000 runs in test cricket,it
> > took him 45 tests.Compare this with Steve Waugh who took
> > 72 tests and Mark Waugh,who took 60 tests.

> > Sachin Tendulkar hasn't scored 4000 runs in 53 tests.
> > Aravinda de Silva hasn't scored 4000 runs in 61 tests.

> > Take a bow Brian,hoping to see you again in Barbados.

> (snip)

> An interesting fact that was related by Ian Chappell during the first
> day's play at Old Trafford; of the 5750 or so runs that Steve Waugh has
> scored in Test Cricket, the last 3,000 have been scored at an average of
> 75.00. This is since 1993.

Indeed,
makes you realise how poor his ave was prior to this.

Cheers

Tim

 
 
 

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by Z. Skeet » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

(snip...)

Quote:

> Lara hasn't got to ten test hundreds yet.

Man, you were wrong on this count! Lara scored his 10th Test hundred in
his last test inning against Sri Lanka! Have you short memory?

Regard,
"tito capotito"

 
 
 

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by Z. Skeet » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

(snip)

Quote:

> Two: Steve Waugh started out as an allrounder, so comparing his
> early tests as an allrounder (he is now a specialist batsman),
> against the early tests of specialist batsman is a bit misleading.

> Colin

If my memory serve me right, then S. Waugh did not start out in the
Australia XI as an all-rounder, but as a specialist batsman. It was only
later that his bowling came to be useful, and he was deemed an
all-rounder, but even he isn't a specialist all-rounder.

Regard,
"Tito Capotito"

 
 
 

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by Saileshwar Krishnamurt » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

CS> Bradman scored 6996 in 52 tests. Including 29 hundreds. Proberbly
CS> one of the few batsman in test history to score more hundreds than
CS> fifties.

I think Azhar has scored 17 tons and 16 fifties :-)

--
Sailesh Krishnamurthy, Visiting Graduate Student,
CAS, IBM SWS Toronto, 1150 Eglinton East, Ph: 416.448.3838

 
 
 

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by Kurt Toolsi » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:


> : Brian Lara has just scored 4000 runs in test cricket,it
> : took him 45 tests.Compare this with Steve Waugh who took
> : 72 tests and Mark Waugh,who took 60 tests.
> :
> : Sachin Tendulkar hasn't scored 4000 runs in 53 tests.
> : Aravinda de Silva hasn't scored 4000 runs in 61 tests.

> Two things to note. One: tests aren't accurate enough, try innings
> and completed innings prefereably. S Waugh batted at 7-9 for a
> while so he may not have much chance to bat twice in many tests.
> Likewise completed innings are a more accurate since you don't
> penalise some who didn't get out.

Hmmm, I don't remember SWaugh batting that low down the order.
I do agree with you that completed innings are a more accurate
statistic than matches played. However, I have always felt
that when comparing the value to a team it does not matter
whether a batsman is left not out or not. Surely, it does
not make any difference to the team if it is the specialist
batsman or the #11 that is last out.

Quote:
> Two: Steve Waugh started out as an allrounder, so comparing his
> early tests as an allrounder (he is now a specialist batsman),
> against the early tests of specialist batsman is a bit misleading.

Again the fact that SWaugh did some bowling is relevant when
comparing worth to the team. However, it has absolutely no
relevance when comparing his batting abilities to Lara or
any other batsman, which was the purpose of the original
thread.

Kurt

 
 
 

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by Simon Pleasan » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
>An interesting fact that was related by Ian Chappell during the first
>day's play at Old Trafford; of the 5750 or so runs that Steve Waugh has
>scored in Test Cricket, the last 3,000 have been scored at an average of
>75.00. This is since 1993.

The same man who stated today that Alec Stewart had played almost all
of his 15 (16?) tests against Australia as a specialist batsman.  In
fact he has played at least 9 of them (off the top of my head) as a
batsman/keeper.  Maybe more.

--
Simon Pleasants -=- *** Broadcasting & Web Services
Info/homepage at: http://SportToday.org/
"Keep a dream in your pocket.... never let it fade away!"

 
 
 

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by The Banner » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:


> (snip)

> > Two: Steve Waugh started out as an allrounder, so comparing his
> > early tests as an allrounder (he is now a specialist batsman),
> > against the early tests of specialist batsman is a bit misleading.

> > Colin

> If my memory serve me right, then S. Waugh did not start out in the
> Australia XI as an all-rounder, but as a specialist batsman. It was only
> later that his bowling came to be useful, and he was deemed an
> all-rounder, but even he isn't a specialist all-rounder.

my memory of S waugh was that early on, his bowling kept him in the team
and there was grave doubt he could fill the part of a batsman at number
6. and he made his mark in odi's because of his bowling - particularly
the last few overs.. it has only been recently due to his groin injury
that he is considered a specialist batsman.
 
 
 

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by Paul Husband » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
> Just get your fast bowler to bowl around the wicket like
> Glen McGrath did which cramped Lara up.

England tried that and they managed to restrict Lara to just 375 or
something like that - <g>

Paul

 
 
 

Brian Lara,Steve Waugh,Mark Waugh.....a comparison.

Post by Hamish La » Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:


>Well it does depend where you bat in the order.
>If you bat lower down you may not get a bat and if
>you do and there's a batting collapse then you have to
>play with the tailenders.

And Steve Waugh's average has been lifted by the not outs he's gotten due to the
tail falling around him. Added to which he's chosen his position.

Quote:

>Lara hasn't got to ten test hundreds yet.

I believe that he has.

Quote:

>>Sachin Tendulkar hasn't scored 4000 runs in 53 tests.
>>Aravinda de Silva hasn't scored 4000 runs in 61 tests.

>Bradman scored 6996 in 52 tests. Including 29 hundreds.
>Proberbly one of the few batsman in test history to score
>more hundreds than fifties.

One of the few, probably the only one with more than 5 centuries or so, nope
Headley 10 100s and 5 50s.

Quote:

>Against England Bradman scored 19 centuries in 63 innings
>with a total of 5028 runs.

Average 89 iirc

Quote:

>>Take a bow Brian,hoping to see you again in Barbados.

>Just get your fast bowler to bowl around the wicket like
>Glen McGrath did which cramped Lara up.

Unless they can get the bounce which McGrath got I wouldn't assume that'll work.
Added to which I would hope that Lara has looked at those dismissals and figured
out what to do.

****************************************************************************
The Politician's Slogan
'You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all
of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.
Fortunately only a simple majority is required.'
****************************************************************************

Mad Hamish

Hamish Laws