Indian players in the English county scene

Indian players in the English county scene

Post by Bharat Ra » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 21:54:15


The BCCI should consider sending a raft of Indian players to play county cricket (if the counties will have them, of course).  That stint was responsible for transforming Zaheer Khan from a decent bowler who was occasionally quite good, to a world-class bowler, who at one time was a serious candidate for best swing bowler in the world, and in the top 3 in the rankings.

Yadav will certainly get a go, and while I'm not sure anyone will have Ishant "take wickets" Sharma, Kumar (Praveen or Bhuv), but it is worth trying.  Heck if the BCCI cares enough, it could encourage the player by giving him a subsidy (so he can sign dirt cheap) though pigs will fly before that happens.

Some the batsmen could also benefit -- Rohit Sharma, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane, will all get contracts -- though in their case, the benefit would perhaps be limited; still the professionalism to play cricket day in and day out, would be instructive.  For Gambhir and Sehwag, a strong showing in county cricket (when they are unlikely to play for India post-IPL) would only help their case...

Bharat

 
 
 

Indian players in the English county scene

Post by RSX » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 11:11:37


Quote:
> The BCCI should consider sending a raft of Indian players to play county cricket (if the counties will have them, of course). ?That stint was responsible for transforming Zaheer Khan from a decent bowler who was occasionally quite good, to a world-class bowler, who at one time was a serious candidate for best swing bowler in the world, and in the top 3 in the rankings.

> Yadav will certainly get a go, and while I'm not sure anyone will have Ishant "take wickets" Sharma, Kumar (Praveen or Bhuv), but it is worth trying. ?Heck if the BCCI cares enough, it could encourage the player by giving him a subsidy (so he can sign dirt cheap) though pigs will fly before that happens.

> Some the batsmen could also benefit -- Rohit Sharma, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane, will all get contracts -- though in their case, the benefit would perhaps be limited; still the professionalism to play cricket day in and day out, would be instructive. ?For Gambhir and Sehwag, a strong showing in county cricket (when they are unlikely to play for India post-IPL) would only help their case...

> Bharat

There is report that there may be India A touring SA in June/July. I
thought it is winter in SA at that time. Not sure of its feasibility.
I see this mentioned in the story about Indian team selection for
Champions Trophy.

 
 
 

Indian players in the English county scene

Post by Mike Goodin » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 17:18:11

Quote:

> The BCCI should consider sending a raft of Indian players to play county cricket (if the counties will have them, of course). That stint was responsible for transforming Zaheer Khan from a decent bowler who was occasionally quite good, to a world-class bowler, who at one time was a serious candidate for best swing bowler in the world, and in the top 3 in the rankings. Yadav will certainly get a go, and while I'm not sure anyone will have Ishant "take wickets" Sharma, Kumar (Praveen or Bhuv), but it is worth trying. Heck if the BCCI cares enough, it could encourage the player by giving him a subsidy (so he can sign dirt cheap) though pigs will fly before that happens. Some the batsmen could also benefit -- Rohit Sharma, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane, will all get contracts -- though in their case, the benefit would perhaps be limited; still the professionalism to play cricket day in and day out, would be instructive. For Gambhir and Sehwag, a strong showing in county cricket (when they are unlikely to play for India post-IPL) would only help their case... Bharat

Seems reasonable - I assume the BCCI are happy to accept English players in India?

 
 
 

Indian players in the English county scene

Post by Mike Holman » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 20:19:34

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 01:18:11 -0700 (PDT), Mike Gooding

Quote:

>> The BCCI should consider sending a raft of Indian players to play county cricket (if the counties will have them, of course). That stint was responsible for transforming Zaheer Khan from a decent bowler who was occasionally quite good, to a world-class bowler, who at one time was a serious candidate for best swing bowler in the world, and in the top 3 in the rankings. Yadav will certainly get a go, and while I'm not sure anyone will have Ishant "take wickets" Sharma, Kumar (Praveen or Bhuv), but it is worth trying. Heck if the BCCI cares enough, it could encourage the player by giving him a subsidy (so he can sign dirt cheap) though pigs will fly before that happens. Some the batsmen could also benefit -- Rohit Sharma, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane, will all get contracts -- though in their case, the benefit would perhaps be limited; still the professionalism to play cricket day in and day out, would be instructive. For Gambhir and Sehwag, a strong showing in
>county cricket (when they are unlikely to play for India post-IPL) would only help their case... Bharat

>Seems reasonable - I assume the BCCI are happy to accept English players in India?

Seen the IPL recently?>

Cheers,

Mike
--

 
 
 

Indian players in the English county scene

Post by jzfredrick » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 21:30:05

Quote:

> Seen the IPL recently?

ha! good one!
 
 
 

Indian players in the English county scene

Post by Andrew Dunfor » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 06:58:12


Quote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 01:18:11 -0700 (PDT), Mike Gooding


>>> The BCCI should consider sending a raft of Indian players to play county
>>> cricket (if the counties will have them, of course). That stint was
>>> responsible for transforming Zaheer Khan from a decent bowler who was
>>> occasionally quite good, to a world-class bowler, who at one time was a
>>> serious candidate for best swing bowler in the world, and in the top 3
>>> in the rankings. Yadav will certainly get a go, and while I'm not sure
>>> anyone will have Ishant "take wickets" Sharma, Kumar (Praveen or Bhuv),
>>> but it is worth trying. Heck if the BCCI cares enough, it could
>>> encourage the player by giving him a subsidy (so he can sign dirt cheap)
>>> though pigs will fly before that happens. Some the batsmen could also
>>> benefit -- Rohit Sharma, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane,
>>> will all get contracts -- though in their case, the benefit would
>>> perhaps be limited; still the professionalism to play cricket day in and
>>> day out, would be instructive. For Gambhir and Sehwag, a strong showing
>>> in
>>county cricket (when they are unlikely to play for India post-IPL) would
>>only help their case... Bharat

>>Seems reasonable - I assume the BCCI are happy to accept English players
>>in India?

> Seen the IPL recently?>

Son was at a birthday party on the weekend.  A group of kids, some of whom
are not very familiar with cricket, switched on to the sports channel and
ended up watching IPL highlights.  Apparently one kid looked at Dale Steyn
walking back to his mark and commented: "he doesn't look very Indian."

Andrew

 
 
 

Indian players in the English county scene

Post by Mike Goodin » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 19:15:56

Quote:

>Seen the IPL recently?

I have yes - it's fun to watch and as satisfying as a Chinese takeaway.  I've noticed several pretty ordinary Australians making money over there and so far no Englishmen.

I'm tending to agree with Simon Hughes that we should delay the start of our season so some our blokes can go out there too.

Mike Gooding
--------------

 
 
 

Indian players in the English county scene

Post by jzfredrick » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 20:20:44

Quote:

> I have yes - it's fun to watch and as satisfying as a Chinese takeaway.  I've noticed several pretty ordinary Australians making money over there and so far no Englishmen.

I've been watching the odd session on YouTube (which in itself is amazing). I've tuned in every single time to see SRT and Punter tear things up.... :(
 
 
 

Indian players in the English county scene

Post by Bob Marti » Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:04:37


Quote:

>>Seen the IPL recently?

>I have yes - it's fun to watch and as satisfying as a Chinese takeaway.  I've noticed several pretty
>ordinary Australians making money over there and so far no Englishmen.

Not at Englishman, but an English player : Eoin Morgan has played one match.
And I've seen Luke Wright and Owais Shah on the bench.