Tudor in dangerous form

Tudor in dangerous form

Post by Mike Holma » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00


Well, not that dangerous actually, since he's bowled 3 overs for 17 so
far in the one-day nonsense against Easterns/Border, but he managed to
fell Pope, who got a ball in the goolies but wasn't wearing a box.

[pause while half the readership cross legs and wince]

I thought the Tudors were more famous for chopping people's heads off,
myself.

Not that it matters very much, since it's only a nonsense game, but
Darren Maddy knocked up 133 in 117 balls, so he's obviously in
reasonable nick. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he walked out to
bat with Atherton at Durban.

Cheers,

Mike
--

Supporting the World's Second Worst Test Team

 
 
 

Tudor in dangerous form

Post by Alex Brow » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Well, not that dangerous actually, since he's bowled 3 overs for 17 so
> far in the one-day nonsense against Easterns/Border, but he managed to
> fell Pope, who got a ball in the goolies but wasn't wearing a box.

Hmmm, taking it serious then ...

Hussain                      1      0      2      1

A.

--
Alex Brown
www.kama-sooty.co.uk

 
 
 

Tudor in dangerous form

Post by Slowhan » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00



Quote:
> Not that it matters very much, since it's only a nonsense game, but
> Darren Maddy knocked up 133 in 117 balls, so he's obviously in
> reasonable nick. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he walked out to
> bat with Atherton at Durban.

> Cheers,

> Mike

And about time, too...just how many breaks is Butcher entitled to?

Slowhand

 
 
 

Tudor in dangerous form

Post by Kurt » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Not that it matters very much, since it's only a nonsense game, but
> Darren Maddy knocked up 133 in 117 balls, so he's obviously in
> reasonable nick. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he walked out to
> bat with Atherton at Durban.

No, but what WOULD be a huge surprise is if he walked back with Mike
Atherton at the lunch break.

Kurt

 
 
 

Tudor in dangerous form

Post by Phil. G. Felt » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:


> > Not that it matters very much, since it's only a nonsense game, but
> > Darren Maddy knocked up 133 in 117 balls, so he's obviously in
> > reasonable nick. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he walked out to
> > bat with Atherton at Durban.

> No, but what WOULD be a huge surprise is if he walked back with Mike
> Atherton at the lunch break.

Indeed it would, large opening stands are a rarity these days even more so in
the first innings of a Test!  A quick look through the recent results gives
about a 20% probability of an opening stand of 50+ in any innings, about half
the  time the first wicket falls for <20.  So any opening partnership surviving
a full first session of a test is a very agreeable surprise,the third innings
seems to be most likely for a larger opening stand (mostly Aus).

Phil.

 
 
 

Tudor in dangerous form

Post by Mac Attac » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Indeed it would, large opening stands are a rarity these days even more so in
> the first innings of a Test!  A quick look through the recent results gives
> about a 20% probability of an opening stand of 50+ in any innings, about half
> the  time the first wicket falls for <20.  So any opening partnership surviving
> a full first session of a test is a very agreeable surprise,the third innings
> seems to be most likely for a larger opening stand (mostly Aus).

> Phil.

Would that 20% be the Slater-Blewett 200?
 
 
 

Tudor in dangerous form

Post by Phil. G. Felt » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:


> > Indeed it would, large opening stands are a rarity these days even
more so in
> > the first innings of a Test!  A quick look through the recent results gives
> > about a 20% probability of an opening stand of 50+ in any innings,
about half
> > the  time the first wicket falls for <20.  So any opening partnership
surviving
> > a full first session of a test is a very agreeable surprise,the third
innings
> > seems to be most likely for a larger opening stand (mostly Aus).

> > Phil.

> Would that 20% be the Slater-Blewett 200?

I went over all the tests since WC99 and compiled statistics on this:

 Score         No. of times       %age
  0-10             33              45
 11-20             13              18
 21-50             18              25
 51-100             3               4
101-200             5               7
200+                1               1

The most common scores are 0 & 5 (14% & 10%)!  So any opening partnership is
more likely to score 0 than >50 and about 2/3rds of the time won't make 20.
Scores between 50 and 100 are particularly uncommon, you're twice as likely
to pass 100 than to score in this range.  Referring back to the original crack,
the chance of any pair of openers (not just English) being still together at
lunch on the first day is fairly remote!

Phil.

 
 
 

Tudor in dangerous form

Post by Stephen Devau » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:



> > > Indeed it would, large opening stands are a rarity these days even
> more so in
> > > the first innings of a Test!  A quick look through the recent results gives
> > > about a 20% probability of an opening stand of 50+ in any innings,
> about half
> > > the  time the first wicket falls for <20.  So any opening partnership
> surviving
> > > a full first session of a test is a very agreeable surprise,the third
> innings
> > > seems to be most likely for a larger opening stand (mostly Aus).

> > > Phil.

> > Would that 20% be the Slater-Blewett 200?

> I went over all the tests since WC99 and compiled statistics on this:

>  Score         No. of times       %age
>   0-10             33              45
>  11-20             13              18
>  21-50             18              25
>  51-100             3               4
> 101-200             5               7
> 200+                1               1

> The most common scores are 0 & 5 (14% & 10%)!  So any opening partnership is
> more likely to score 0 than >50 and about 2/3rds of the time won't make 20.
> Scores between 50 and 100 are particularly uncommon, you're twice as likely
> to pass 100 than to score in this range.  Referring back to the original crack,
> the chance of any pair of openers (not just English) being still together at
> lunch on the first day is fairly remote!

> Phil.

The exception, of course, is if your two Tests openers are Bajans, in
which case you will reach 200 without loss 100% of the time (at least
since WC '99).

Fraternally in cricket,

Steve the Bajan

 
 
 

Tudor in dangerous form

Post by Sridha » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:


> > I went over all the tests since WC99 and compiled statistics on this:

> >  Score         No. of times       %age
> >   0-10             33              45
> >  11-20             13              18
> >  21-50             18              25
> >  51-100             3               4
> > 101-200             5               7
> > 200+                1               1

> > The most common scores are 0 & 5 (14% & 10%)!  So any opening partnership is
> > more likely to score 0 than >50 and about 2/3rds of the time won't make 20.
> > Scores between 50 and 100 are particularly uncommon, you're twice as likely
> > to pass 100 than to score in this range.  Referring back to the original crack,
> > the chance of any pair of openers (not just English) being still together at
> > lunch on the first day is fairly remote!

> > Phil.

> The exception, of course, is if your two Tests openers are Bajans, in
> which case you will reach 200 without loss 100% of the time (at least
> since WC '99).

bajan openers are known to do well vs india at antigua too.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

> Fraternally in cricket,

> Steve the Bajan

 
 
 

Tudor in dangerous form

Post by Mike Holman » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00



Quote:

> Referring back to the original
>crack,
>> the chance of any pair of openers (not just English) being still together at
>> lunch on the first day is fairly remote!

>> Phil.

>The exception, of course, is if your two Tests openers are Bajans, in
>which case you will reach 200 without loss 100% of the time (at least
>since WC '99).

And after the first wicket falls, the other nine will fall for less than
a hundred 100% of the time (at least since WC '99).

Cheers,

Mike
--
"I'm not a expert" - Azhars

 
 
 

Tudor in dangerous form

Post by Stephen Devau » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:



> > > I went over all the tests since WC99 and compiled statistics on this:

> > >  Score         No. of times       %age
> > >   0-10             33              45
> > >  11-20             13              18
> > >  21-50             18              25
> > >  51-100             3               4
> > > 101-200             5               7
> > > 200+                1               1

> > > The most common scores are 0 & 5 (14% & 10%)!  So any opening partnership is
> > > more likely to score 0 than >50 and about 2/3rds of the time won't make 20.
> > > Scores between 50 and 100 are particularly uncommon, you're twice as likely
> > > to pass 100 than to score in this range.  Referring back to the original crack,
> > > the chance of any pair of openers (not just English) being still together at
> > > lunch on the first day is fairly remote!

> > > Phil.

> > The exception, of course, is if your two Tests openers are Bajans, in
> > which case you will reach 200 without loss 100% of the time (at least
> > since WC '99).

> bajan openers are known to do well vs india at antigua too.

Surprisingly, that other pair of Bajan openers only had two career
century partnerships against India -- the 296 in Antigua and a 114 at
Calcutta in '87-88.

Fredericks and Rowe had 105 at Sabina in 75-76, and Fredericks, Gordon
Greenidge and Kallicharran combined with 174 for the first wicket at
Bangalore in '74-75 when Fredericks retired hurt. Hunte (92) and Holt
(123) had 159 at Delhi in '58-59.

But the recordholders for century opening partnerships for WI vs. India
are Rae and Stollmeyer with 3: 134 (R. 104 and S. 66) at Bombay in the
2d Test in 48-49; 239 (R. 109 and S. 160) at Madras, 4th Test of same
tour; and 142* (R. 63 and S. 76), 1st Test at Trinidad in '52-53.  

Fraternally in cricket,

Steve the Bajan

 
 
 

Tudor in dangerous form

Post by Stephen Devau » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:




> > Referring back to the original
> >crack,
> >> the chance of any pair of openers (not just English) being still together at
> >> lunch on the first day is fairly remote!

> >> Phil.

> >The exception, of course, is if your two Tests openers are Bajans, in
> >which case you will reach 200 without loss 100% of the time (at least
> >since WC '99).

> And after the first wicket falls, the other nine will fall for less than
> a hundred 100% of the time (at least since WC '99).

Hey, that's what happens if you don't pick any other Bajans!

Fraternally in cricket,

Steve the Bajan

 
 
 

Tudor in dangerous form

Post by Mike Holma » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999 22:54:35 -0500, Stephen Devaux

Quote:



>> >The exception, of course, is if your two Tests openers are Bajans, in
>> >which case you will reach 200 without loss 100% of the time (at least
>> >since WC '99).

>> And after the first wicket falls, the other nine will fall for less than
>> a hundred 100% of the time (at least since WC '99).

>Hey, that's what happens if you don't pick any other Bajans!

So, my stat is still valid at 100%, and yours is down to 50%.

Cheers,

Mike
--

Supporting the World's Second Worst Test Team