Decreasing/increasing batting ave over last 10 Test inns

Decreasing/increasing batting ave over last 10 Test inns

Post by Aslam Siddiqu » Wed, 19 May 2010 05:08:26


A. Here is a list of players whose batting average over their last 10
innings was at least 25 percentage points worse than their overall
Test career average (qualification batted in at least 20 innings).

        Career   Last
Diff     Ave    10 In
39.50   54.20   14.70  VG Kambli (Ind)
32.70   44.80   12.10  Zaheer Abbas (Pak)
32.27   45.37   13.10  MD Crowe (NZ)
30.59   40.79   10.20  GA Faulkner (SAf)
30.59   42.69   12.10  AG Prince (SAf)
30.02   58.46   28.44  WR Hammond (Eng)
29.67   56.67   27.00  L Hutton (Eng)
28.25   47.65   19.40  VS Hazare (Ind)
28.14   50.74   22.60  ML Hayden (Aus)
27.99   43.99   16.00  Hanif Mohammad (Pak)
27.97   45.07   17.10  HL Collins (Aus)
27.91   42.21   14.30  BC Booth (Aus)
27.43   41.93   14.50  GR Viswanath (Ind)
27.31   37.11    9.80  Mohsin Khan (Pak)
27.10   44.43   17.33  AI Kallicharran (WI)
26.95   44.95   18.00  KS Ranjitsinhji (Eng)
26.94   42.50   15.56  M Amarnath (Ind)
26.45   51.55   25.10  A Flower (Zim)
26.25   52.57   26.30  Javed Miandad (Pak)
25.86   50.06   24.20  DCS Compton (Eng)
25.63   42.13   16.50  DB Vengsarkar (Ind)
25.59   43.70   17.80  Salim Malik (Pak)
25.29   33.49    8.20  MTG Elliott (Aus)
25.12   37.42   12.30  KJ Hughes (Aus)

A. Here is a list of players whose batting average over their last 10
innings was at least 20 percentage points better than their overall
Test career average (qualification batted in at least 20 innings).

52.87   47.26  100.13  HM Amla (SAf)
50.69   46.64   97.33  VVS Laxman (Ind)
48.47   53.53  102.00  V Sehwag (Ind)
46.11   42.60   88.71  MS Dhoni (Ind)
42.98   37.69   80.67  Imran Khan (Pak)
41.89   41.78   83.67  CG Macartney (Aus)
30.47   30.03   60.50  FCM Alexander (WI)
29.00   47.60   76.60  SM Nurse (WI)
28.68   55.57   84.25  SR Tendulkar (Ind)
28.17   41.13   69.30  GN Yallop (Aus)
27.25   53.75   81.00  RS Dravid (Ind)
26.93   37.67   64.60  DT Lindsay (SAf)
23.71   46.07   69.78  M Leyland (Eng)
22.88   38.22   61.10  A Sandham (Eng)
22.58   30.71   53.29  HAPW Jayawardene (SL)
21.53   42.24   63.78  IR Bell (Eng)
20.79   39.43   60.22  SR Watson (Aus)
20.39   18.74   39.13  JN Gillespie (Aus)
20.01   36.78   56.90  Tamim Iqbal (BD)

aslam
GO CUBS!!!

 
 
 

Decreasing/increasing batting ave over last 10 Test inns

Post by Andrew B » Wed, 19 May 2010 05:34:50


Quote:
> A. Here is a list of players whose batting average over their last 10
> innings was at least 25 percentage points worse than their overall
> Test career average (qualification batted in at least 20 innings).

> ? ? ? ? Career ? Last
> Diff ? ? Ave ? ?10 In
> 39.50 ? 54.20 ? 14.70 ?VG Kambli (Ind)
> 32.70 ? 44.80 ? 12.10 ?Zaheer Abbas (Pak)
> 32.27 ? 45.37 ? 13.10 ?MD Crowe (NZ)
> 30.59 ? 40.79 ? 10.20 ?GA Faulkner (SAf)

Curiously, Faulker averaged over 80 in the preceding 10 innings. He
finished with a miserable time (with the bat at least) in the 1912
Triangular tournament, plus one match in 1924.

 
 
 

Decreasing/increasing batting ave over last 10 Test inns

Post by Mad Hamis » Sun, 23 May 2010 13:36:11

On Mon, 17 May 2010 13:34:50 -0700 (PDT), "Andrew B."

Quote:


>> A. Here is a list of players whose batting average over their last 10
>> innings was at least 25 percentage points worse than their overall
>> Test career average (qualification batted in at least 20 innings).

>> ? ? ? ? Career ? Last
>> Diff ? ? Ave ? ?10 In
>> 39.50 ? 54.20 ? 14.70 ?VG Kambli (Ind)
>> 32.70 ? 44.80 ? 12.10 ?Zaheer Abbas (Pak)
>> 32.27 ? 45.37 ? 13.10 ?MD Crowe (NZ)
>> 30.59 ? 40.79 ? 10.20 ?GA Faulkner (SAf)

>Curiously, Faulker averaged over 80 in the preceding 10 innings. He
>finished with a miserable time (with the bat at least) in the 1912
>Triangular tournament, plus one match in 1924.

He didn't perform with the bat in England.
He made 1 100 in 1912 against the Australian team and in his other 18
innings he didn't make another 50.
--
"Hope is replaced by fear and dreams by survival, most of us get by."
Stuart Adamson 1958-2001

Mad Hamish
Hamish Laws


 
 
 

Decreasing/increasing batting ave over last 10 Test inns

Post by Andrew B » Sun, 23 May 2010 19:03:25



Quote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2010 13:34:50 -0700 (PDT), "Andrew B."



> >> A. Here is a list of players whose batting average over their last 10
> >> innings was at least 25 percentage points worse than their overall
> >> Test career average (qualification batted in at least 20 innings).

> >> ? ? ? ? Career ? Last
> >> Diff ? ? Ave ? ?10 In
> >> 39.50 ? 54.20 ? 14.70 ?VG Kambli (Ind)
> >> 32.70 ? 44.80 ? 12.10 ?Zaheer Abbas (Pak)
> >> 32.27 ? 45.37 ? 13.10 ?MD Crowe (NZ)
> >> 30.59 ? 40.79 ? 10.20 ?GA Faulkner (SAf)

> >Curiously, Faulker averaged over 80 in the preceding 10 innings. He
> >finished with a miserable time (with the bat at least) in the 1912
> >Triangular tournament, plus one match in 1924.

> He didn't perform with the bat in England.
> He made 1 100 in 1912 against the Australian team and in his other 18
> innings he didn't make another 50.

Good point - his career figures have a distinct split:

in A v A:  5 matches, batting av 73.20 bowling av 51.40
in E v A:  3 matches, batting av 37.00 bowling av 48.50
in SAv E: 10 matches, batting av 42.12 bowling av 21.09
in E v E:  7 matches, batting av 15.38 bowling av 22.60

 
 
 

Decreasing/increasing batting ave over last 10 Test inns

Post by R Bharat Ra » Sun, 23 May 2010 20:48:10


Quote:
> A. Here is a list of players whose batting average over their last 10
> innings was at least 25 percentage points worse than their overall
> Test career average (qualification batted in at least 20 innings).

If it is easy to do so, it would be nice to augment this with "Career
Ave before last 11 innings" -- the drop would be more precipitous.

Quote:
> ? ? ? ? Career ? Last
> Diff ? ? Ave ? ?10 In
> 39.50 ? 54.20 ? 14.70 ?VG Kambli (Ind)

The case for dropping him seems sound.  The case for never re-
considering him may have been a bit harsh...

Quote:
> 30.59 ? 42.69 ? 12.10 ?AG Prince (SAf)

The one person in the list hard done by.  Finally starts to come good
with his brilliant talent and is promptly shunted into the opening
slot, and then faces the axe.  What I never understood is why
deVilliers, a regular opener, wasn't asked to open instead, with
Prince staying in the middle order...  Too talented not to reverse the
trend...

< List of worthies whose time to leave the international stage had
come deleted>

Quote:
> A. Here is a list of players whose batting average over their last 10
> innings was at least 20 percentage points better than their overall
> Test career average (qualification batted in at least 20 innings).

> 52.87 ? 47.26 ?100.13 ?HM Amla (SAf)

Woof, my man turning it on big time.  Go big A.

Quote:
> 50.69 ? 46.64 ? 97.33 ?VVS Laxman (Ind)

Clearly time to drop him.  He has secured his place in the team, and
will be thakela for the next 10 innings when he will produce again.
Why not spare us the agony, and just drop him.

Quote:
> 48.47 ? 53.53 ?102.00 ?V Sehwag (Ind)
> 46.11 ? 42.60 ? 88.71 ?MS Dhoni (Ind)

With VVSL, 3 reasons for India's surge to the top of the Test table...

Quote:
> 42.98 ? 37.69 ? 80.67 ?Imran Khan (Pak)
> 41.89 ? 41.78 ? 83.67 ?CG Macartney (Aus)
> 30.47 ? 30.03 ? 60.50 ?FCM Alexander (WI)
> 29.00 ? 47.60 ? 76.60 ?SM Nurse (WI)

Retired before their due date.

Quote:
> 28.68 ? 55.57 ? 84.25 ?SR Tendulkar (Ind)

Reason #4 - or possibly reason #1.  Reincarnation is hard for mere
mortals, but for TAV it is just another day's work.

Quote:
> 28.17 ? 41.13 ? 69.30 ?GN Yallop (Aus)
> 27.25 ? 53.75 ? 81.00 ?RS Dravid (Ind)

And reason #5.

Quote:
> 26.93 ? 37.67 ? 64.60 ?DT Lindsay (SAf)
> 23.71 ? 46.07 ? 69.78 ?M Leyland (Eng)
> 22.88 ? 38.22 ? 61.10 ?A Sandham (Eng)
> 22.58 ? 30.71 ? 53.29 ?HAPW Jayawardene (SL)
> 21.53 ? 42.24 ? 63.78 ?IR Bell (Eng)
> 20.79 ? 39.43 ? 60.22 ?SR Watson (Aus)

Are there 2 for real?  Bell is by far the more talented, but Watson is
the one with more steel.  I'm hopeful for the former, but betting on
the latter.

Quote:
> 20.39 ? 18.74 ? 39.13 ?JN Gillespie (Aus)

Amazing what a 200 can do for a career 18 avg bat!

Quote:
> 20.01 ? 36.78 ? 56.90 ?Tamim Iqbal (BD)

If he can rein in his hyper-aggression a touch, this kid could go
far.  Not sure if he has the technique to keep up this purple patch,
but go Bangles!!!!!

Quote:
> aslam
> GO CUBS!!!

And Cubs, but the season is fast disappearing.  Hey Aslam, I will be
coming to Chicago sometime in July and Sadiq and I usually catch a
game in the bleachers -- any chance you may want to join us?  Drop me
an email at <rao dot bharat at google's email domain>

Thanks

Bharat