Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by outsourcingbusin.. » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:00:59


This new umpire from Pakistan seemed very hesitant to give LBW's
against the Australian batsmen when the South Africans were bowling.
One expected him to give the same treatment to the South African
batsmen. However, Smith's decision was not plumb. It was at best 50/50
as the ball might have just clipped the bails. Its interesting that we
never saw hawkeye for this delivery which was given out.

A.B. Devilliers was out but then so were a couple of the Australian
batsmen (in similar or actually situations where it seemed more out)
yet the benefit of the doubt was given to them.
One expected this umpire to be consistent. Still, at least one of the
LBW's should have gone South Africa's way.

There has been some discussion that the home teams are generally
favored by umpires all over the world. While this may or may not be
true I have noticed that the Australian bowlers do get more decisions
in their favor even when they are touring. I have seen 50/50 decisions
go more in their favor even by neutral umpires when they are touring.
Could it have something to do with the Australian personality. Do the
Australians somehow manage to win over the umpires in a subtle way.

Cheers

 
 
 

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by Gerrit 't Har » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:09:17


Quote:
> Do the
> Australians somehow manage to win over the umpires in a subtle way.

The promise of a nice cold beer after stumps is "very subtle!"

Gerrit

 
 
 

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by JM » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:09:20


Quote:
> This new umpire from Pakistan seemed very hesitant to give LBW's
> against the Australian batsmen when the South Africans were bowling.
> One expected him to give the same treatment to the South African
> batsmen. However, Smith's decision was not plumb. It was at best 50/50
> as the ball might have just clipped the bails. Its interesting that we
> never saw hawkeye for this delivery which was given out.

> A.B. Devilliers was out but then so were a couple of the Australian
> batsmen (in similar or actually situations where it seemed more out)
> yet the benefit of the doubt was given to them.
> One expected this umpire to be consistent. Still, at least one of the
> LBW's should have gone South Africa's way.

> There has been some discussion that the home teams are generally
> favored by umpires all over the world. While this may or may not be
> true I have noticed that the Australian bowlers do get more decisions
> in their favor even when they are touring. I have seen 50/50 decisions
> go more in their favor even by neutral umpires when they are touring.
> Could it have something to do with the Australian personality. Do the
> Australians somehow manage to win over the umpires in a subtle way.

> Cheers

Which game are you watching? I saw the delivery and jumped up before the
decision was made knowing that he was out...  Smith was as plumb as any
batter could be... give it a friggin break will ya - umpires around the
world aren't being paid off by Aussies - just live with it will ya

 
 
 

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by JM » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:11:12


Quote:



>> This new umpire from Pakistan seemed very hesitant to give LBW's
>> against the Australian batsmen when the South Africans were bowling.
>> One expected him to give the same treatment to the South African
>> batsmen. However, Smith's decision was not plumb. It was at best 50/50
>> as the ball might have just clipped the bails. Its interesting that we
>> never saw hawkeye for this delivery which was given out.

>> A.B. Devilliers was out but then so were a couple of the Australian
>> batsmen (in similar or actually situations where it seemed more out)
>> yet the benefit of the doubt was given to them.
>> One expected this umpire to be consistent. Still, at least one of the
>> LBW's should have gone South Africa's way.

>> There has been some discussion that the home teams are generally
>> favored by umpires all over the world. While this may or may not be
>> true I have noticed that the Australian bowlers do get more decisions
>> in their favor even when they are touring. I have seen 50/50 decisions
>> go more in their favor even by neutral umpires when they are touring.
>> Could it have something to do with the Australian personality. Do the
>> Australians somehow manage to win over the umpires in a subtle way.

>> Cheers

> Which game are you watching? I saw the delivery and jumped up before the
> decision was made knowing that he was out...  Smith was as plumb as any
> batter could be... give it a friggin break will ya - umpires around the
> world aren't being paid off by Aussies - just live with it will ya

Whoops. wrong batter... my bad, dont' recall the McGrath delivery
 
 
 

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by SA » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:32:28


Quote:





>>> This new umpire from Pakistan seemed very hesitant to give LBW's
>>> against the Australian batsmen when the South Africans were bowling.
>>> One expected him to give the same treatment to the South African
>>> batsmen. However, Smith's decision was not plumb. It was at best 50/50
>>> as the ball might have just clipped the bails. Its interesting that we
>>> never saw hawkeye for this delivery which was given out.
<Snip>

>>> There has been some discussion that the home teams are generally
>>> favored by umpires all over the world. While this may or may not be
>>> true I have noticed that the Australian bowlers do get more decisions
>>> in their favor even when they are touring. I have seen 50/50 decisions
>>> go more in their favor even by neutral umpires when they are touring.
>>> Could it have something to do with the Australian personality. Do the
>>> Australians somehow manage to win over the umpires in a subtle way.

>>> Cheers

>> Which game are you watching? I saw the delivery and jumped up before the
>> decision was made knowing that he was out...  Smith was as plumb as any
>> batter could be... give it a friggin break will ya - umpires around the
>> world aren't being paid off by Aussies - just live with it will ya

> Whoops. wrong batter... my bad, dont' recall the McGrath delivery

The decision was not scandalous but as you say 50/50.
We cannot get on our high horses about it
Agree that maybe the benefit of the doubt could have gone Smith's way.

However there are 3 tests in Aus and another 3 in SA.
I like to think that in the greater scheme of things it will all balance out

 
 
 

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by Jamm » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:39:24


Quote:
> This new umpire from Pakistan seemed very hesitant to give LBW's
> against the Australian batsmen when the South Africans were bowling.
> One expected him to give the same treatment to the South African
> batsmen. However, Smith's decision was not plumb. It was at best 50/50
> as the ball might have just clipped the bails. Its interesting that we
> never saw hawkeye for this delivery which was given out.

> A.B. Devilliers was out but then so were a couple of the Australian
> batsmen (in similar or actually situations where it seemed more out)
> yet the benefit of the doubt was given to them.
> One expected this umpire to be consistent. Still, at least one of the
> LBW's should have gone South Africa's way.

> There has been some discussion that the home teams are generally
> favored by umpires all over the world. While this may or may not be
> true I have noticed that the Australian bowlers do get more decisions
> in their favor even when they are touring. I have seen 50/50 decisions
> go more in their favor even by neutral umpires when they are touring.
> Could it have something to do with the Australian personality. Do the
> Australians somehow manage to win over the umpires in a subtle way.

Boring.....
 
 
 

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by Ben Gusse » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 01:47:50


Quote:
> This new umpire from Pakistan seemed very hesitant to give LBW's
> against the Australian batsmen when the South Africans were bowling.
> One expected him to give the same treatment to the South African
> batsmen. However, Smith's decision was not plumb. It was at best 50/50
> as the ball might have just clipped the bails. Its interesting that we
> never saw hawkeye for this delivery which was given out.

> A.B. Devilliers was out but then so were a couple of the Australian
> batsmen (in similar or actually situations where it seemed more out)
> yet the benefit of the doubt was given to them.
> One expected this umpire to be consistent. Still, at least one of the
> LBW's should have gone South Africa's way.

> There has been some discussion that the home teams are generally
> favored by umpires all over the world. While this may or may not be
> true I have noticed that the Australian bowlers do get more decisions
> in their favor even when they are touring. I have seen 50/50 decisions
> go more in their favor even by neutral umpires when they are touring.
> Could it have something to do with the Australian personality. Do the
> Australians somehow manage to win over the umpires in a subtle way.

> Cheers

Consider this - the more opportunities a side creates the more lucky
decisions they will get. Hence, why Australia has more lucky decisions go
towards them. Also, bad decisions that are given are a lot more noticeable
than bad decisions that aren't given. So it would be easy to perceive that
Australia has more decisions given in their favour, when they probably go
both ways.

Regards,
Ben.

 
 
 

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by Halekal » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 03:46:21

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:47:50 +1100, "Ben Gussey"

Quote:



>> This new umpire from Pakistan seemed very hesitant to give LBW's
>> against the Australian batsmen when the South Africans were bowling.
>> One expected him to give the same treatment to the South African
>> batsmen. However, Smith's decision was not plumb. It was at best 50/50
>> as the ball might have just clipped the bails. Its interesting that we
>> never saw hawkeye for this delivery which was given out.

>> A.B. Devilliers was out but then so were a couple of the Australian
>> batsmen (in similar or actually situations where it seemed more out)
>> yet the benefit of the doubt was given to them.
>> One expected this umpire to be consistent. Still, at least one of the
>> LBW's should have gone South Africa's way.

>> There has been some discussion that the home teams are generally
>> favored by umpires all over the world. While this may or may not be
>> true I have noticed that the Australian bowlers do get more decisions
>> in their favor even when they are touring. I have seen 50/50 decisions
>> go more in their favor even by neutral umpires when they are touring.
>> Could it have something to do with the Australian personality. Do the
>> Australians somehow manage to win over the umpires in a subtle way.

>> Cheers

>Consider this - the more opportunities a side creates the more lucky
>decisions they will get. Hence, why Australia has more lucky decisions go
>towards them. Also, bad decisions that are given are a lot more noticeable
>than bad decisions that aren't given. So it would be easy to perceive that
>Australia has more decisions given in their favour, when they probably go
>both ways.

>Regards,
>Ben.

I did see the Hawkeye animation and it showed to be hitting middle
stump. It did not clip the bails, it hit the stump pretty well. He
looked to be out AFAIAC.

Now, what is up with the slew of Pak umpires in Test cricket? Did ICC
chief Ehsan Mani has something to do with this? Aleem Dar used to be
only elite umpire from Pak. Now we have Nadeem Ghauri, Asad Rauf. What
is going on?

Best Regards,
Halekala

 
 
 

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by Nouman Ahma » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 05:26:15

The Smith Decision's Hawkeye was shown and it showed that the ball was
actually hitting a good portion of the stumps, far from just clipping
the bails.
 
 
 

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by dechuck » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 08:12:41


Quote:
> The Smith Decision's Hawkeye was shown and it showed that the ball was
> actually hitting a good portion of the stumps, far from just clipping
> the bails.

Well that ***s his argument ( if you believe hawkeye ).
 
 
 

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by angoor.. » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:34:50

Quote:



> > Do the
> > Australians somehow manage to win over the umpires in a subtle way.

> The promise of a nice cold beer after stumps is "very subtle!"

> Gerrit

jokes aside, this needs to be looked into. The advantage aussies get is
really not that subtle. Did McGrath survive any close ones in the 1st
innings? How about Hussey?
 
 
 

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by India Fa » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:52:36

Quote:

> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:47:50 +1100, "Ben Gussey"



> >> This new umpire from Pakistan seemed very hesitant to give LBW's
> >> against the Australian batsmen when the South Africans were bowling.
> >> One expected him to give the same treatment to the South African
> >> batsmen. However, Smith's decision was not plumb. It was at best 50/50
> >> as the ball might have just clipped the bails. Its interesting that we
> >> never saw hawkeye for this delivery which was given out.

> >> A.B. Devilliers was out but then so were a couple of the Australian
> >> batsmen (in similar or actually situations where it seemed more out)
> >> yet the benefit of the doubt was given to them.
> >> One expected this umpire to be consistent. Still, at least one of the
> >> LBW's should have gone South Africa's way.

> >> There has been some discussion that the home teams are generally
> >> favored by umpires all over the world. While this may or may not be
> >> true I have noticed that the Australian bowlers do get more decisions
> >> in their favor even when they are touring. I have seen 50/50 decisions
> >> go more in their favor even by neutral umpires when they are touring.
> >> Could it have something to do with the Australian personality. Do the
> >> Australians somehow manage to win over the umpires in a subtle way.

> >> Cheers

> >Consider this - the more opportunities a side creates the more lucky
> >decisions they will get. Hence, why Australia has more lucky decisions go
> >towards them. Also, bad decisions that are given are a lot more noticeable
> >than bad decisions that aren't given. So it would be easy to perceive that
> >Australia has more decisions given in their favour, when they probably go
> >both ways.

> >Regards,
> >Ben.

> I did see the Hawkeye animation and it showed to be hitting middle
> stump. It did not clip the bails, it hit the stump pretty well. He
> looked to be out AFAIAC.

> Now, what is up with the slew of Pak umpires in Test cricket? Did ICC
> chief Ehsan Mani has something to do with this? Aleem Dar used to be
> only elite umpire from Pak. Now we have Nadeem Ghauri, Asad Rauf. What
> is going on?

Don't know but I think Nadeem Ghauri is a very good umpire.  I've seen
him make some
great calls in the India/SL series.  Does he actually have a reputation
as a good umpire?
 
 
 

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by Andrew Dunfor » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:48:05


Quote:




> > > Do the
> > > Australians somehow manage to win over the umpires in a subtle way.

> > The promise of a nice cold beer after stumps is "very subtle!"

> > Gerrit

> jokes aside, this needs to be looked into. The advantage aussies get is
> really not that subtle. Did McGrath survive any close ones in the 1st
> innings? How about Hussey?

There have been numerous recent series during which it has been alleged that
Australian bowlers playing at home received preferential treatment from the
umpires.  In some cases I have agreed, for example the recent series in
which WI got a very poor deal.  However from what I have seen no such
imbalance exists in the current series, one in which the umpiring has been
very good to date.

The WICB complained to the ICC after their series finished, and I could
understand their frustration.  However the only 'looking into' required for
a case apparently based on the outcome of a couple of lbw appeals in the
current match is to say 'case dismissed'.  Come back with something that has
a shred of substance.

Andrew

 
 
 

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by Mang » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:11:20


Quote:



>> The Smith Decision's Hawkeye was shown and it showed that the ball was
>> actually hitting a good portion of the stumps, far from just clipping
>> the bails.

> Well that ***s his argument ( if you believe hawkeye ).

I only believe hawkeye when it backs up my opinion.
 
 
 

Another umpire falls to the Aussie charm

Post by jlicht.. » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:55:51

Quote:





> >> The Smith Decision's Hawkeye was shown and it showed that the ball was
> >> actually hitting a good portion of the stumps, far from just clipping
> >> the bails.

> > Well that ***s his argument ( if you believe hawkeye ).

> I only believe hawkeye when it backs up my opinion.

When it doesnt, there is no need for technology ruining the game. :)