Asia v Rest of World

Asia v Rest of World

Post by Mike Holman » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00


I missed any mention of this here, but I read the other day about some
event down at The Foster's Toilet^WOval where former Prime Minister John
Major announced a charity one-dayer at The Oval between Asia and the
rest of the World, sometime in July, or possibly some other month (cor,
this is really detailed, Mike, keep those facts a-coming, won't you?)
later this summer. Alec Stewart will captain RoW, and an Indian with a
first name beginning with S will captain Asia unless I can't even
remember that right, in which case it's Wasim Akram. Whether it's Saurav
or Sugar Ray escapes me.

Does anyone else know anything about this, or even care?

Cheers,

Mike
--
"I'm a little confused here." - Ashes

 
 
 

Asia v Rest of World

Post by may.. » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
> I missed any mention of this here, but I read the other day about some
> event down at The Foster's Toilet^WOval where former Prime Minister
John
> Major announced a charity one-dayer at The Oval between Asia and the
> rest of the World, sometime in July, or possibly some other month
(cor,
> this is really detailed, Mike, keep those facts a-coming, won't you?)
> later this summer. Alec Stewart will captain RoW, and an Indian with a
> first name beginning with S will captain Asia unless I can't even
> remember that right, in which case it's Wasim Akram. Whether it's
Saurav
> or Sugar Ray escapes me.

> Does anyone else know anything about this, or even care?

sachin tendulkar will be the captain of the asia team
and the match will be played on july 29

Quote:

> Cheers,

> Mike
> --
> "I'm a little confused here." - Ashes

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Asia v Rest of World

Post by John P Darc » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> I missed any mention of this here, but I read the other day about some
> event down at The Foster's Toilet^WOval where former Prime Minister John
> Major announced a charity one-dayer at The Oval between Asia and the
> rest of the World, sometime in July, or possibly some other month (cor,
> this is really detailed, Mike, keep those facts a-coming, won't you?)
> later this summer. Alec Stewart will captain RoW, and an Indian with a
> first name beginning with S will captain Asia unless I can't even
> remember that right, in which case it's Wasim Akram. Whether it's Saurav
> or Sugar Ray escapes me.

> Does anyone else know anything about this, or even care?

Saw a Sky News report approximately confirming the sketchy details you
have murmurred above, except for any mention of players' names.

The report attributed the non-charity reason for the match to
fundraising for a redevelopment of The Oval, with new grandstand
constructions which among other things would slightly reduce the size of
the field (at the Vauxhall End).  Am I right in saying that this end is
typically roped-in anyway?  The thimbleful of cash raised from this
event would be added to the bucketloads that Major and Surrey CCC hope
to score from the National Lottery (no, not by winning it, silly).
Major is Chairman or President or Whatever Title of Surrey.

--
Cheers

John

===============================================
 GGG    OOO    Red Sox     }
G   G  O   O   Roosters     }   one of them
G      O   O   Blues         }  has to win
G  GG  O   O   Seahawks     }   *someday* ...
 G  G   OOO    Gunners     }
===============================================

 
 
 

Asia v Rest of World

Post by Mike Holman » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
>The report attributed the non-charity reason for the match to
>fundraising for a redevelopment of The Oval, with new grandstand
>constructions which among other things would slightly reduce the size of
>the field (at the Vauxhall End).  Am I right in saying that this end is
>typically roped-in anyway?  

Well, yes, but then all our grounds use ropes inside the fence to mark
the boundary.

However, it depends which bit of the pitch they're talking about.
Looking towards the Vauxhall End, there's a rather large area to your
left where they have the nets and so on and which bulges outwards from
what would be a general oval shape. That's always roped off because
you'd end up with an enormous boundary there: Godfrey Evans once drove a
ball in that direction and, seeing Fred Rumsey lumbering off in pursuit,
called to his partner "Come five!"

I'm sure they could lose at least some of that piece to seating and not
miss it.

Quote:
>The thimbleful of cash raised from this
>event would be added to the bucketloads that Major and Surrey CCC hope
>to score from the National Lottery (no, not by winning it, silly).
>Major is Chairman or President or Whatever Title of Surrey.

President.

However, it's a good cause. I don't much like what they've done at the
Pavilion End of the ground: the concrete brutalism of the new buildings
sits ill next to the Victorian grandeur of the Pavilion - but what was
there before was pretty grotty and on balance it's an improvement. But
the Vauxhall End is worse than the Kirkstall Lane End at Headingley, and
the Kirkstall Lane End is vile. Surrey CCC can hardly be blamed for the
housing and antique gasometers surrounding the ground, and the Duchy of
Cornwall made it hugely difficult for them to do anything good to the
ground even if they'd had the money for donkey's years, but it is still
an ugly ground.

Admittedly, neither the Vauxhall nor the Kirkstall Lane End is as
ghastly as the old Hill at the SCG was made - at least for 1994-5,
although they may have done something to improve it since then, he said,
in case they have - but that's hardly saying very much. It's a shame
when people do things like that, because it's so unnecessary. The Great
Southern Stand at the MCG, the new Grand Stand at Lord's, or the new
buildings at Trent Bridge show what can be done if people only put their
minds to it.

I think, though, that the worst ground I've ever been to was
Northampton, which was frankly a tip in about 1990 (or 1992 - Ambrose
was playing for them, anyway). I gather it is much improved now, so I
must go back and visit someday, but then they shared the ground with
Northampton Town FC, and couldn't have home games when the football
season was underway. Since they played across the football pitch rather
than along its length, on the grounds that short straight boundaries
produce better cricket than minuscule square ones, one of the stands was
about 45 yards from the edge of the pitch, and the players could only be
observed through binoculars from there. From the pavilion, it looked a
barren wasteland indeed.

Cheers,

Mike

--
Supporting the World's Second Worst Test Team (According To The Ratings)

 
 
 

Asia v Rest of World

Post by John P Darc » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> Admittedly, neither the Vauxhall nor the Kirkstall Lane End is as
> ghastly as the old Hill at the SCG was made - at least for 1994-5,
> although they may have done something to improve it since then, he said,
> in case they have

I am from Sydney, and I agree with you 100%.  And no, there's been no
improvement.

--
Cheers

John

===============================================
 GGG    OOO    Red Sox     }
G   G  O   O   Roosters     }   one of them
G      O   O   Blues         }  has to win
G  GG  O   O   Seahawks     }   *someday* ...
 G  G   OOO    Gunners     }
===============================================