Incomplete over ending D1 of T2

Incomplete over ending D1 of T2

Post by Bob Duber » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:52:26


Ntini got Lee early on in the over there were, I think, 4 balls left to
bowl. Yet the umpire's called time.

Why? Why not let the over be completed? Play had already gone on past
the stipulated close of play in order to recover lost time and lost
overs.

 
 
 

Incomplete over ending D1 of T2

Post by Mad Hamis » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:30:50



Quote:
>Ntini got Lee early on in the over there were, I think, 4 balls left to
>bowl. Yet the umpire's called time.

>Why? Why not let the over be completed? Play had already gone on past
>the stipulated close of play in order to recover lost time and lost
>overs.

Law 16 part 5
5. Completion of an over
Other than at the end of the match,
(a) if the agreed time for an interval is reached during an over, the
over shall be completed before the interval is taken except as
provided for in (b) below.

(b) when less than 2 minutes remain before the time agreed for the
next interval, the interval will be taken immediately if
either (i) a batsman is out or retires
or (ii) the players have occasion to leave the field
whether this occurs during an over or at the end of an over. Except at
the end of an innings, if an over is thus interrupted it shall be
completed on resumption of play.
--
"Hope is replaced by fear and dreams by survival, most of us get by."
Stuart Adamson 1958-2001

Mad Hamish
Hamish Laws


 
 
 

Incomplete over ending D1 of T2

Post by Bob Duber » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:33:39

Quote:

> Law 16 part 5
> 5. Completion of an over
> Other than at the end of the match,
> (a) if the agreed time for an interval is reached during an over, the
> over shall be completed before the interval is taken except as
> provided for in (b) below.

> (b) when less than 2 minutes remain before the time agreed for the
> next interval, the interval will be taken immediately if
> either (i) a batsman is out or retires
> or (ii) the players have occasion to leave the field
> whether this occurs during an over or at the end of an over. Except at
> the end of an innings, if an over is thus interrupted it shall be
> completed on resumption of play.

<blush>
Yes. A mate of mine (qualified umpire) and I looked at that and somehow
convinced ourselves that that didn't apply. We also looked in Tom Smith
and then decided that Smith doesn't apply to Tests.

Christmas is over - time to stop with the sundowners.

 
 
 

Incomplete over ending D1 of T2

Post by Phil » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 06:20:54

Quote:


> > Law 16 part 5
> > 5. Completion of an over
> > Other than at the end of the match,
> > (a) if the agreed time for an interval is reached during an over, the
> > over shall be completed before the interval is taken except as
> > provided for in (b) below.

> > (b) when less than 2 minutes remain before the time agreed for the
> > next interval, the interval will be taken immediately if
> > either (i) a batsman is out or retires
> > or (ii) the players have occasion to leave the field
> > whether this occurs during an over or at the end of an over. Except at
> > the end of an innings, if an over is thus interrupted it shall be
> > completed on resumption of play.

> <blush>
> Yes. A mate of mine (qualified umpire) and I looked at that and somehow
> convinced ourselves that that didn't apply. We also looked in Tom Smith
> and then decided that Smith doesn't apply to Tests.

> Christmas is over - time to stop with the sundowners.

A similar point arose during the Ashes, England requested the extra
half hour which the Test conditions say should be a minimum of 8 overs.
 They took a wicket in the eighth over and the umpires called time, in
my view play should have continued until the end of the over.

Phil.