What is considered acceptable behaviour on your local cricket (sports) field?

What is considered acceptable behaviour on your local cricket (sports) field?

Post by sude » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:24:00


After the Lehman incident, there seem to be so many different views on
not just what he said , but what racism is, what sleding is etc.

Im just interested to know what is considered acceptable sledging/name
calling/talking on the cricket (sports) field in your countries. I had
an aussie friend who went to England to play lower county level
cricket, and when he sledged an oppenent (nothing racist...just
aggressive), was told off by his own team for being unsportsmanlike.

What can the players say to each other that isnt considered going over
the top? Do Nth Indians make racist comments to sth indians? In SL
schoolboy cricket, would a Sinhalese make a racist comment to a Tamil
(or vice versa) but still shake his hand after the game. What about
SA? or is it considered too controversial? Does anybody say anything
at all in junior/lower levels of the game?

If this topic has been done to death, i apologize, but i dont recall
seeing more than a passing reference to it.

 
 
 

What is considered acceptable behaviour on your local cricket (sports) field?

Post by Larry de Silv » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 13:59:18


Quote:
> After the Lehman incident, there seem to be so many different views on
> not just what he said , but what racism is, what sleding is etc.

> Im just interested to know what is considered acceptable sledging/name
> calling/talking on the cricket (sports) field in your countries. I had
> an aussie friend who went to England to play lower county level
> cricket, and when he sledged an oppenent (nothing racist...just
> aggressive), was told off by his own team for being unsportsmanlike.

In most countries, only banter is acceptable.

Quote:
> What can the players say to each other that isnt considered going over
> the top? Do Nth Indians make racist comments to sth indians? In SL
> schoolboy cricket, would a Sinhalese make a racist comment to a Tamil
> (or vice versa) but still shake his hand after the game.

I have NEVER heard of a sinhalese making a racist comment to a Tamil (or
vice versa) during a game of cricket but this doesn't mean it has never ever
happened. If it has, it is extremely rare. It is not the done thing. In
school cricket there, we would have been banned from ever playing for the
team if such a comment was overheard by the authorities.

Laz

Quote:
> What about
> SA? or is it considered too controversial? Does anybody say anything
> at all in junior/lower levels of the game?

> If this topic has been done to death, i apologize, but i dont recall
> seeing more than a passing reference to it.


 
 
 

What is considered acceptable behaviour on your local cricket (sports) field?

Post by linu » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 14:15:49



Quote:



> > After the Lehman incident, there seem to be so many different views on
> > not just what he said , but what racism is, what sleding is etc.

> I have NEVER heard of a sinhalese making a racist comment to a Tamil (or
> vice versa) during a game of cricket but this doesn't mean it has never
ever
> happened. If it has, it is extremely rare. It is not the done thing. In
> school cricket there, we would have been banned from ever playing for the
> team if such a comment was overheard by the authorities.

> Laz

I think you are correct Larry, I also have never heard of  racial comments
in cricket in Sri Lanka, that is not to say it does not happen but I have
not come across any such incident.  Arguing with an umpire would be enough
to get you thrown out of a school team for good.

 
 
 

What is considered acceptable behaviour on your local cricket (sports) field?

Post by BCT » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 14:52:21

Quote:

> I think you are correct Larry, I also have never heard of  racial comments
> in cricket in Sri Lanka, that is not to say it does not happen but I have
> not come across any such incident.  Arguing with an umpire would be enough
> to get you thrown out of a school team for good.

Like Arjuna, you mean?

Cheers,
Christian Kelly

 
 
 

What is considered acceptable behaviour on your local cricket (sports) field?

Post by Bob Dube » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:43:52


Quote:
>After the Lehman incident, there seem to be so many different views on
>not just what he said , but what racism is, what sleding is etc.

>Im just interested to know what is considered acceptable sledging/name
>calling/talking on the cricket (sports) field in your countries. I had
>an aussie friend who went to England to play lower county level
>cricket, and when he sledged an oppenent (nothing racist...just
>aggressive), was told off by his own team for being unsportsmanlike.

>What can the players say to each other that isnt considered going over
>the top? Do Nth Indians make racist comments to sth indians? In SL
>schoolboy cricket, would a Sinhalese make a racist comment to a Tamil
>(or vice versa) but still shake his hand after the game. What about
>SA? or is it considered too controversial? Does anybody say anything
>at all in junior/lower levels of the game?

There are moves afoot to curb not sledging per se but bad language in
SA - especially at junior levels.

I know that in schools cricket in Jo'burg there are playing conditions
intended to curb bad language. 2 umpires that I know have had to step
in on occasion and one of them has invoked the ultimate sanction at
that level which is to deny the fielding side any slips.

Nobody's trying to make the game less combative, but  I think the idea
is that "tough" doesn't have to mean "profane".  Especially at
under-15 level.

Racial slurs are certainly not tolerated in cricket in SA. There is an
unwritten law that say that insults based on religion are not
acceptable.

 
 
 

What is considered acceptable behaviour on your local cricket (sports) field?

Post by linu » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 08:05:46



Quote:


> > I think you are correct Larry, I also have never heard of  racial
comments
> > in cricket in Sri Lanka, that is not to say it does not happen but I
have
> > not come across any such incident.  Arguing with an umpire would be
enough
> > to get you thrown out of a school team for good.

> Like Arjuna, you mean?

> Cheers,
> Christian Kelly

We consider that Arjuna learned all that stuff after he started playing for
the national side and got exposed to outside tactics.
 
 
 

What is considered acceptable behaviour on your local cricket (sports) field?

Post by BCT » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:53:14

Quote:




> > > I think you are correct Larry, I also have never heard of  racial
> comments
> > > in cricket in Sri Lanka, that is not to say it does not happen but I
> have
> > > not come across any such incident.  Arguing with an umpire would be
> enough
> > > to get you thrown out of a school team for good.

> > Like Arjuna, you mean?

> > Cheers,
> > Christian Kelly

> We consider that Arjuna learned all that stuff after he started playing for
> the national side and got exposed to outside tactics.

We feel the same way about Lehmann!

Cheers,
Christian Kelly

 
 
 

What is considered acceptable behaviour on your local cricket (sports) field?

Post by sude » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:26:25


Quote:




> > > > I think you are correct Larry, I also have never heard of  racial
>  comments
> > > > in cricket in Sri Lanka, that is not to say it does not happen but I
>  have
> > > > not come across any such incident.  Arguing with an umpire would be
>  enough
> > > > to get you thrown out of a school team for good.

> > > Like Arjuna, you mean?

> > > Cheers,
> > > Christian Kelly

> > We consider that Arjuna learned all that stuff after he started playing for
> > the national side and got exposed to outside tactics.

> We feel the same way about Lehmann!

> Cheers,
> Christian Kelly

You would be 100% wrong!